Monthly Archives: September 2014
Lamb shanks are a wonderful thing to serve on a cold day, so as fall arrives and winter rolls in, stock up on these meaty treats and you can braise them to make the most delicious meals. Braising means slow-cooking in liquid, and you can choose from beer, wine or other liquids. There is plenty of meat on a lamb shank and the flavor is phenomenal. I especially love this braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe because the flavors are so amazing.
So Much Appeal in this Dish
Lamb shanks smell incredible while they cook and the flavor will drive you half-crazy with anticipation! The following braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe is easy to make and the ingredients are easy to find. The lamb is browned then cooked with onion, carrots and celery, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and red wine.
Use a casserole dish on the stove and in the oven, or else use a heavy pot on the stove and transfer the mixture into an ovenproof casserole to bake. It just depends what you have to hand.
Braised lamb shanks in red wine is excellent served with mashed potatoes and this recipe makes 4 portions, but you can always double it if you are feeding a crowd. Once you have experienced the amazing flavor of this braised lamb in red wine recipe you will certainly want to make it again.
Have you ever tried avocado in your potato salad? If not, make some avocado potato salad now because it is really tasty! The avocado adds a creamy, nutty, decadent touch to the potato salad which works so well.
This avocado potato salad goes beautifully as a side dish alongside chicken, burgers or any other meat, or try it with fish or something else. Make this once and you are sure to want to make it again and again, and don’t be surprised if everyone asks you for the recipe.
Which Potatoes to Use in Avocado Potato Salad
We are using baby red-skinned potatoes here but you can use brown-skinned ones if you wish, or even larger potatoes cut into cubes. They should be boiled until they are just tender, no more else they will fall apart too easily in the avocado potato salad and that is not what you want.
Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the tastiest result and if you have some leftover potato avocado salad then squeeze extra lemon juice into it, to help preserve the bright green avocado color and prevent browning. You can keep any leftovers (although there usually aren’t any!) in a covered container in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 days.
Some More Hot Content For You
This Hungarian venison goulash stew is a real winter warmer of a recipe, offering amazing comfort food for those chilly fall and winter evenings. An authentic Hungarian recipe, this is sure to fill even the hungriest belly, and it is easy to make as well, even if you are new to cooking venison, new to making stews, or just never made this particular recipe before. The results will be great.
Serving Hungarian Venison Goulash Stew
Serve this Hungarian venison goulash stew with mashed potatoes, fluffy white rice, dumplings, vegetables, or anything else you want. Personally I like garlic mashed potatoes with plenty of butter mashed into them! Leftover stew can be reheated the following day if you want to enjoy this lovely dish twice. You might be surprised by the amounts of onions and paprika but the onions soften and cook down and the paprika lends an amazing flavor, mellowing as the dish cooks.
You can swap the venison stew meat for another type of stew meat if you wish – lamb, beef, goat or rabbit are all good. Mushrooms would work for a vegetarian take on the dish. Ensure your paprika is fresh too – it should be bright red and fragrant for a perfect result. If you have old paprika and it’s losing its color and aroma toss it out because that isn’t much good for anything apart from a colorful sprinkling on the top of deviled eggs or similar, for presentation only.
These delicious vegetarian burgers are made with quinoa and beans, ensuring they are hearty and appealing to vegetarians and carnivores alike. Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is a tasty grain available in health food stores and, these days, most food markets too. It is great for making everything from side dishes to this delicious quinoa burger recipe.
Quinoa is actually a pseudocereal, not a true cereal, since it is not in the grass family. Quinoa is closely related to spinach and beetroot.
It is high in protein and can be used to make appetizers, entrees, risotto-type dishes, and even burgers. If you have never cooked with this grain, grab some the next time you go to the store and make this wonderful quinoa burger recipe. You will then want to find more uses for quinoa because it is tasty, filling and really versatile.
One of the Tastiest Vegetarian Burger Recipes
Quinoa works particularly well in burgers and is a great solution if you want a meat-free burger, something new and different, or simply a vegetarian change from the standard bean burger options.
These stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese make an incredible appetizer and my husband and I both love them. Where we live we can buy them in different varieties – some are sweet while others are spicy.
One store uses the pointy end of spicy chilies as their ‘mini’ peppers while others use mini sweet peppers, mostly red but sometimes green or yellow.
Green is more savory while yellow (and orange to a lesser extent) is sweeter. Whichever peppers you use in this stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese recipe, the flavor of these little bites is going to be fantastic. See what they sell in your local food market and decide whether you want a sweet, semi-spicy or piquant result, or you could make some of each.
Plenty of Tempting Choices
Making your own stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese over buying them saves you money, plus you get to decide what result you want – spicy, medium or mild, as well as what color peppers you want, plus whether to use only goat cheese for the filling, or to combine the goat cheese with sour cream and/or cream cheese. There are a lot of options here actually!
There are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy.
Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams. Continue reading
- Low Carb Steak Marinade RecipeSteak is a popular protein on low carb diets because it is nutritious, filling and versatile. You can marinate it, use a spice rub or sauce, grill, barbecue or pan-fry it, or prepare it in another way. Plain steak and vegetables can become a bit boring and tedious though, which is why knowing how to make an easy low carb steak marinade recipe can breathe new life into your evening meal, adding tasty, spicy accents. The following low carb steak marinade recipe is made with basil, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. You will need to let the steak soak in the marinade to soak up all the .....
- Treat Yeast Infection at HomeYeast infections don’t always require an embarrassing doctor’s visit. You can treat yeast infection at home once you have the correct diagnosis of the symptoms you are suffering. There is a huge array of different reasons that you may be suffering with the yeast infection, and making small changes to your lifestyle and diet, can make a massive difference. You may be surprised to learn that wearing tight jeans and underwear can increase your chance of suffering with yeast infections, and some birth control pills and steroids may also cause the yeast to grow and spread. This means you need to know treat yeast infection at home. .....
- Dutch Speklappen or Speklapjes RecipeI’ve been living in Holland for several years and cooked speklappen, also known as speklapjes, for my husband a number of times. Speklappen or speklapjes (the same thing) means pork belly slices. You can get these quite cheap and they are easy to cook. Also, you can use them in a number of different recipes including the following Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe. The best way to cook these is in a little oil. Get the oil hot in a skillet or frying pan, then add the speklapjes in one layer and fry them. You will see them turn golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking so they cook evenly on both sides. You can .....
- Standard Kitchen Cabinet DimensionsWhen planning a new kitchen or renovating your existing kitchen, there are various things that you need to know if you are going to do the work yourself, especially standard kitchen cabinet dimensions. “What are the standard kitchen cabinet dimensions” is a very common question to ask and you will need to know the answer so you can plan what to buy and also so you can plan what is going to go where and what exactly you are going to have in there. If space is at a premium you might be limited in the amount of drawers, cabinets and workspace you are able to get. Now, standard kitchen cabinet dimensions: base kitchen cabinets are 24 .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....
- Best Loaded Nachos Comfort Food StyleSo you want to make the best loaded nachos comfort food? You’ve come to the right page. Very few dishes offer as much as nachos do, and that includes the wonderful flavors combining spicy with creamy with mild, as well as textures because you have all kinds of those, ranging from soft to crunchy. Nachos can be served as a snack, appetizer or meal, and homemade nachos are, of course, the best! The following best loaded nachos comfort food recipe combines nachos with beef, homemade pico de gallo, cheese, spices, and more. But this is your recipe so you could take inspiration from the photo and use leftover roast beef instead of the .....
- Classic Deviled Eggs RecipeDeviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs. The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe. Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or .....
- Vietnamese Summer RollsThe first time I saw a photo of Vietnamese summer rolls I just thought ‘wow’! I love spring rolls (egg rolls) because of their wonderful crispy exterior, but summer rolls are slightly different, still oozing Asian character but featuring a very different coating and a more subtle, fragrant characteristic which you will love. These are lovely in the summer (hence the name) but perfect served as an appetizer or light meal any time of the year. What are Vietnamese Summer Rolls? A summer roll is a Vietnamese dish made by enclosing a filling in a soft rice paper wrap. Typical ingredients used to make the filling include shrimp, pork, .....
- Microwave Beef Stew Belgian StyleThis microwave beef stew Belgian style is one of the best stew recipes I have tried. Living so close to the Belgian border we can simply go over any time we crave this full-flavored stew and satisfy our cravings, but it is just as easy to make yourself at home, so read on and discover how the Belgians make a tasty beef stew. The following recipe shows you how to make this dish in the microwave which is perfect if you do not want to stand over the stove, stirring, or use a crockpot. The end flavor is just the same as the slow-cooked version but it is much faster. Microwave Beef Stew Belgian Style: What Kind of Beef to Use The recipe features .....
- Ham and Lentil SoupAdd ham to your lentil soup and not only do you have a tasty, nutritious soup but you can also enjoy the meatiness that ham adds in there. Ham and lentil soup is great for lunch or as a comforting, warming snack. Whether you are using a ham hock or some leftover cooked ham, you can add that flavor to the lentil soup and be guaranteed that it will come out beautifully. Ham and lentil soup is usually thick and chunky, and the lentils will start to disintegrate when they are cooked, thickening up the soup without you needing to add starch or another thickener. Why You Should Make this Ham and Lentil Soup This is a great recipe for home cooks .....