Monthly Archives: May 2015
This easy Chinese chicken stir fry is the simplest Chinese recipe ever, and once you make it you will certainly want to make it again and again. We are using chicken and vegetables, along with a flavorful sauce, and this makes a wonderful dinner served with rice, noodles or your favorite Asian side dish.
You will need skinless, boneless chicken breast to make this easy Chinese chicken stir fry, along with vegetables (either snow peas and water chestnuts or carrots, or anything else you like, such as mushrooms, bamboo shoots, broccoli or bell pepper).
The sauce for the easy Chinese chicken stir fry is up to you. I like to combine 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce with a tablespoon each of soy sauce and oyster sauce, but use whatever you had. Perhaps you want to use another kind of Chinese cooking sauce or simply add a splash of teriyaki, a splash of soy sauce and a few roasted sesame seeds. You can really go to town and get creative here because anything goes.
Before you think about making this easy freekeh salad you might be wondering about this grain. What is freekeh, you might be thinking, and that is a very good question because a lot of people have never heard of this particular grain. Freekeh can also be spelt frikeh, and it is known as farik as well. This cereal food is made from green wheat which goes through a roasting process. It is traditional in Arabian cuisine along with North African and some other cuisines.
The wheat is harvested while the seeds are soft and the grains are yellow, and then it is sun-dried. Piles of freekeh are set on fire and the straw and chaff burn, leaving the seeds intact. The roasted wheat is then thrashed and dried more in the sun to get the right color, flavor and texture. The seeds are then cracked to resemble green bulgur and this is what goes into our easy freekeh salad recipe.
The earliest mention of freekeh was in the early 1200s in a Baghdad cookery book. In that particular recipe, meat is fried in oil, then braised with water, cinnamon bark and salt.
Next, dried coriander is added and then the dish is served with cinnamon, cumin and lamb fat. Freekeh is served as a pigeon stuffing in Egypt and it is made into a soup in Tunisia. One famous Syrian freekeh dish is made with roast lamb, spring peas and pine nuts. This grain is also enjoyed in Israel. So there are many alternatives to our easy freekeh salad.
Some More Hot Content For You
Whether you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, a quick snack or even a sweet treat when you get peckish in the evening, this easy banana pancakes recipe is ideal. You can combine the ingredients in a couple of minutes, then cook the pancakes in a skillet on the stove for a few minutes.
Serve them just as they are, drizzled with some syrup or perhaps will chopped fruit or berries as a filling. You can also tweak our recipe, perhaps adding some cinnamon or nutmeg or even a little brown sugar. The sweetness of the banana means you don’t really need to add any sugar to the pancake batter, especially if you are going to serve it with syrup, but you know your palate best, so tweak it as you wish.
You can cook these in oil, butter or cooking spray, as you wish. Don’t make them too thick, so unless you have a big skillet you might wish to divide the batter in 2 and cook 2 pancakes. Cook them on one side, then flip and cook the other side. The raw batter is very pale yellow, nearly white, and the finished pancakes are golden.
Pot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable.
Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, individual ones are just as easy to make and they look attractive on the plate. You can make English chicken pot pies any size you want.
Ingredients for English Chicken Pot Pies
In the following recipe we are using chicken breast but you can use chicken thigh if you prefer the richer flavor. You can also swap the peas and corn for mushrooms and leek, or tweak the filling, perhaps adding black pepper, a little honey and maybe even some white wine if you want.
The kitchen is the heart of the house, so choosing kitchen cabinets and counters is something you ought to take your time doing. This room is where you make delicious meals, congregate during parties and get the family together for a relaxing dinner. But even though you might have all the best kitchen gadgets, your kitchen cabinets and kitchen counters might need replacing.
Why Replace Them Anyway
Perhaps your cabinets are too small or they do not match the rest of the kitchen, which is why you are choosing kitchen cabinets and counters. Before you rush out to buy new ones, there are a few things to think about. How many cabinets do you need and what size do you want? If your kitchen is on the small side, you should make the most of the space. Perhaps floor to ceiling height cabinets would be good because a lot of people have wasted space in the kitchen.
A lot of kitchen cabinet manufacturers build their wall cabinets in standard sizes, 24 inches deep and 34.5 inches high. Widths start at 12 inches and can be up to 48 inches, so bear this in mind when choosing kitchen cabinets and counters. Wall cabinets have varying depths and heights so you can put them over the microwave or fridge if you like. If you cannot find the right kitchen cabinets you might want to look at custom kitchen cabinets instead. These are more expensive but are a good investment. Continue reading
Oak cabinets are beautiful but they can be tricky to paint because of the way the grain is in the wood. Oak tends to have a heavy grain and when you paint over the grain it tends to show through, even if you apply more than one coat of paint. This is what makes oak kitchen cabinet painting trickier than you might at first think.
You need to even out the wood grain surface before you begin oak kitchen cabinet painting and this means you should apply wood grain filler before paint.
Wood grain filler smooths the cabinets and fills in between the grains, giving a nice finish. Of course you must let your coat of wood grain filler dry properly before attempting to prime and paint.
How to Sand and Prime the Cabinets Before Oak Kitchen Cabinet Painting
The next thing to do for your oak kitchen cabinet painting is to sand the surface for priming. Do this with a piece of fine grit sandpaper but be careful not to rub too hard. Be careful and gentle, taking your time for the best results. You do not want to remove more of the top surface than necessary. When you are done, wipe the surface down with a clean tack cloth, to get rid of dust.
Your next step in oak kitchen cabinet painting will be to brush on some primer in order to cover the wood grain. Let the primer dry and you will find that your oak cabinets are smooth and ready to be painted.
If you are going to use a latex paint, use a Shellac-based primer. These primers normally dry quite fast but they do have a strong odour so open the windows before you start. Continue reading
- Ideas for StartersYou might already have some thoughts in your mind of which recipe you want to make, and some clever ideas for starters for your next meal or dinner party. Perhaps you fancy making a hot chicken or beef dish. What about chicken sate, mini beef rissoles or something spicy? Maybe you were thinking about making vol-au-vents or a fruity salad, in which case they are good, wholesome and classic dishes too. But what about if you are totally stuck for inspiration and starter ideas? The best way to decide which ideas for starters to go with is to ask yourself a few questions. If you don’t already have ideas for starters, think about your .....
- Help for Yeast Infections During PregnancyYeast infections are incredibly common, and women of all ages can suffer with this irritating problem, and throughout pregnancy it can get far worse. These infections are never fun but yeast infections during pregnancy can be extra rough. Many women will discover that a yeast infection is common when they are expecting a baby. Therefore, seeking a solution to the problem is essential, and will ensure that your pregnancy is comfortable. Your body is an amazing thing, and there are several different factors that can contribute to you suffering with yeast infections during pregnancy. The fungus Candida is present in your body at all times, .....
- Sesame SeedsSesame is a flowering plant and it is naturalized and cultivated for its edible seeds. Sesame seeds are believed to be the oldest oilseed crop and has been domesticated for more than 5000 years. The plant is drought-tolerant, making it a ‘survivor crop’ – capable of growing where most other crops would fail. In 2010, more than 3.84 million metric tons of sesame seeds were harvested in the world, the largest producer of which was Myanmar. India exported the most and Japan was the biggest importer. Sesame has one of the highest oil contents of any seed. This rich, nutty-tasting ingredient is used in many different cuisines, .....
- Bamboo Shoot and Pork WontonHere we are looking at making bamboo shoot and pork wonton. Pork and shrimp might sound like a strange combination but as wonton fans everywhere know, it is a magical mixture! Add bamboo shoots, green onions and a few other choice ingredients and you have wonton soup to die for. These wontons are meaty, fish and full-flavored. If you use water, then you will get soft wontons. Wontons are boiled in liquid when you want them to be soft and fried when you want a crispy finish. Another way to get a soft finish is to steam the wontons. This bamboo shoot and pork wonton recipe is easy to make and even if you’re new to wonton making you will .....
- Easy Roasted Duck LegsDuck legs are much simpler to cook than duck breast, although that is not difficult either. Moreover they are nearly impossible to overcook because of the fat content keeping them succulent. All you need for the following easy roasted duck legs recipe are duck legs, thyme, salt and pepper, although you can also cook potatoes in the oven with the duck if you wish. Adding Potatoes to Your Easy Roasted Duck Legs If you do want to cook potatoes with the duck, simply peel and chop or slice potatoes and arrange them around the duck in the oven, then they can cook together. The reason I usually roast the potatoes is because the fat coming out of .....
- Easy Diabetic Chili RecipeI love chili con carne and find myself making it often, either as a tasty treat for myself or as a shared meal for my husband and I. I usually make a big batch of it so I can enjoy it for lunch the next day, and the next! My husband is diabetic, so I needed to find a tasty low carb diabetic chili recipe which would taste good and look appetizing, and that is when I came up with this one. The ingredients are nutritious and the flavor in this diabetic chili recipe is wonderful. You can tweak this diabetic chili recipe to your heart’s content, swapping the ground beef for chicken or pork, adding more spice (or less!) or swapping the .....
- 4G Internet PhonesAre 4G phone reviews accurate or not so accurate? Before you choose a new 4G phone read the reviews. Checking a 4G internet phones review will ensure that you have all of the relevant information that you need before purchasing the phone. 4G is perhaps not what everone wants but if you want to move with the times and have a super-quick phone and internet connection it is definitely the way forwards. 4G Internet Phones: New Technology 4G internet phones have been promoted as the new technology, which will change the way that people use the Internet. Mobile telecommunications will be altered, and services that seemed too extreme will be .....
- Crackslaw with Chicken – Reduced Calorie OptionUsing chicken is a great idea if you want something with fewer calories yet offering the same great flavor as beef crackslaw gives you. The following crackslaw with chicken recipe is really tasty and perfect for a low carb diet whether you are following Atkins or another low carb diet regime. The crackslaw with chicken recipe itself is very similar to the beef version because chicken is versatile enough to be a perfect beef substitute but of course you can apply your own tweaks should you wish. Chicken is lower in calories than beef. If you’re low carbing then you probably aren’t counting your calories, just your carbs, but .....
- Stuffed Mini Peppers with Goat CheeseThese stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese make an incredible appetizer and my husband and I both love them. Where we live we can buy them in different varieties – some are sweet while others are spicy. One store uses the pointy end of spicy chilies as their ‘mini’ peppers while others use mini sweet peppers, mostly red but sometimes green or yellow. Green is more savory while yellow (and orange to a lesser extent) is sweeter. Whichever peppers you use in this stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese recipe, the flavor of these little bites is going to be fantastic. See what they sell in your local food market and decide .....
- An Introduction to Breda for VisitorsBreda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents. Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe. Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was .....