Monthly Archives: May 2016
Dieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work?
Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low.
The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the interim phase) healthy carbs such as sweet potatoes and strawberries as well as the bad ones like ice cream and soda.
White rice, white pasta, processed foods, pastries and high-sugar sodas are largely responsible for obesity, at least to a degree.
Nobody ever got fat eating too many strawberries. Well, not unless they top them with mountains of ice cream anyway. Continue reading
This is a wonderful side dish to have with chicken, pork or another kind of meat, or you could enjoy it by itself for lunch or a light evening meal. Thai fried rice with egg is similar to the Chinese egg fried rice you might be more familiar with. We are just including typical Thai flavors instead of Chinese ones.
This only takes about 5 minutes to make because you are warming up the rice, cooking the vegetables to al dente (which doesn’t take long) and cooking shrimp (which doesn’t take long either!) If you prefer to use chicken or another protein, shredded cooked chicken can be tossed in at the end with the green onions, and just warmed through. You can also omit the chicken for a vegetarian version of the dish.
What Else is in Thai Fried Rice with Egg?
Known as khao phat in Thai (since khao means rice and phat means stir-frying) this dish is often made with shrimp, chicken or crab, along with onion, garlic and perhaps tomatoes as well.
Traditionally Thai fried rice is made with Thai jasmine rice, but you can use any kind of leftover cooked rice to make it. Fish sauce and soy sauce are typical flavorings, and we also love a little oyster sauce in the mix. A pinch of sugar is good if you want to add sweetness. Continue reading
This tasty Indian dish, chicken biryani with drumsticks, offers an incredible flavor and it is not difficult to prepare. I had my first authentic Indian biryani when I was backpacking around India and the flavor really blew me away.
This recipe originated in the Indian subcontinent or Persia, and it is enjoyed all over Central and South Asia, as well as in the Middle East. Rice, spices and meat and/or vegetables are the main ingredients.
Biryani may be compared to pulao rice but biryani is usually cooked with layered meat and rice and pulao is not layered at all. Chicken biryani with drumsticks is usually a main dish while pulao tends to be more of a side dish.
How Biryani Gets its Flavor
Popular ingredients in an Indian biryani recipe include clarified butter (known as ghee), coriander, cinnamon, cardamon, cloves, ginger, garlic, onions, and nutmeg, but every recipe is different. Saffon can be added to the dish, and some will use turmeric or yellow food coloring to color the rice. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
There is low carb bread and there is this very low carb bread recipe. If you’ve been doing Atkins or low carbing for a while, you will have tried some of the more ‘eggy’ or ‘dense’ breads and while they are passable (just!) they aren’t exactly a good bread substitute.
Some low carbers will forgo the bread entirely, choosing to wrap their burger or sandwich in a large lettuce leaf instead and while there is nothing wrong with that, sometimes it’s nice to have something a bit chewier and more bready, even if it isn’t going to be that high-carb processed stuff you used to eat before.
There are various names for the very low carb bread recipe I am talking about – revolution rolls, cloud bread, oopsie bread, each having a slightly different recipe and preparation technique.
Here I am sharing what I found works best of all, and that’s a bread which is easy to make, uses clean ingredients (ie, not processed) and is low in carbs but offers a nice taste and chewy bread-ish texture. Continue reading
I have to say this moussaka with potatoes and eggplant is one of my absolute favorite dishes. Moussaka is popular in countries of the former Ottoman empire. There are lots of regional and local variations. This dish might be made with potatoes or eggplant, or both, and usually with ground lamb too.
Moussaka is eaten cold in Arabic countries, sauteed and served casserole style in Turkey, and layered and served hot in the Balkans. A lot of moussaka variations have an egg-thickened milk sauce on top, or a bechamel (flour-based) sauce.
Origin of the Word Moussaka
The word moussaka comes from mousakás, a Greek word, which came from the Turkish musakka and the Arabic musaqqa’ah, meaning chilled. The dish is usually based on ground meat, sauteed eggplant and tomato.
The Greek version has meat, eggplant and a bechamel sauce and it is baked in the oven. It is thought the Greek version dates back to the 1920s. The sliced eggplant layer on the bottom is topped with a ground lamb and tomato layer, and then you also have onion, garlic, allspice, cinnamon and black pepper in there for flavor. On top is a bechamel sauce layer. Continue reading
Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern tomato, bell pepper and egg dish. Sometimes it is spelt shakshouka. This Middle Eastern shakshuka recipe actually originated in Northern Africa and there are many different variations on the basic theme.
The feta cheese is not a traditional ingredient, for example, but I love to add it because the creamy tang goes so well with the dish. Leave it out if you prefer though.
How to Serve a Middle Eastern Shakshuka Recipe
It is often served for breakfast in Israel with challah or pita on the side. The dish is also good for brunch or lunch. I like it with pita bread, homemade hummus and other Middle Eastern/Israeli/Arabic dishes.
The sauce is made first and that’s easy to prepare on the stove, and then the eggs are gently cracked into the sauce. Finally the skillet goes into the oven so the shakshuka can finish cooking. It is then served hot, with some kind of bread on the side to mop up all the tasty juices.
Good for You Too!
This shakshuka recipe is a healthy dish, boasting the protein form the eggs, the lycopene and antioxidants from the tomatoes, and the vitamin-C from the bell pepper. If you want to make this more substantial add some small lamb meatballs to the sauce. You can also swap the bell pepper for eggplant or grill the peppers first for a richer flavor. Continue reading
- Best Cajun Chicken Pasta RecipeAre you in the mood for Cajun cuisine or something Italian? This Cajun chicken pasta recipe offers the best of both worlds. Pasta is an Italian favorite of course, and Cajun seasoning just brings out the beauty of the chicken and the pasta, resulting in a dish you will adore. You might have enjoyed something similar before or perhaps the combination of Italian and Cajun is a brand new treat for your palate. Either way you will certainly enjoy this tasty dish. This is simple enough for beginner cooks to master and once you have made it you will be sure to want to make it again. The following recipe makes enough for 2 people so you can easily .....
- Making Appetizers Everyone Will LoveThere is a lot to be said for sticking to classic recipes when making appetizers. Everyone loves crisps, olives, cheese, chicken wings and cold cuts after all, don’t they? Even though this might seem like the safe route to take when planning easy party appetizers, it is fun to create memorable appetizers too. Obviously, you want your starters to be memorable for all the right reasons, not because one of your guests suffered third degree burns when biting into a piping hot appetizer or stained his shirt with a messy red dip because you forgot to provide napkins! Making appetizers everyone will love is a mixture of creativity, know-how .....
- How to Make a White Wine Pasta SauceAlthough pasta goes great with all kinds of sauces, the gentle aromatic appeal of a white wine pasta sauce is something incredibly special. White wine pasta sauce is so easy to make and other ingredients which go well with the wine include garlic, butter and parsley. A lot of these white wine pasta sauce recipes might include olive oil instead of the butter, or alongside it, and you can make such a sauce even if you don’t really drink white wine, since you are just using it for a rich flavor and typically only need a splash. When making a white wine pasta sauce, it is important to use a white wine you would drink, not something labeled .....
- Sparkly Swarovski Cat CollarsSwarovski crystals are beautiful and if you are looking for an extra special collar for your feline friend then why not buy Swarovski cat collars? Costing less than you might imagine, these lovely collars will look gorgeous on your cat. I have tried a few different ones, although my favorite is the simple 10-diamonds on velvet style. My cat Cleo is black with flashes of gray in her fur, so I usually go with a bright color like pink or red. She’s 9 so she has had a few collars and she had her current one for a couple of years so far. Choosing Swarovski cat collars is not difficult. Just pick out something which you like and make sure .....
- Marsala Chicken with AsparagusMarsala chicken is a tasty Italian dish which you can find not only in the best Italian restaurants but also in your very own kitchen if you choose to follow this marsala chicken with asparagus recipe. This marsala chicken with asparagus dish is made with chicken thighs which offer more flavor than breast, and are also juicier and more succulent. Chicken thighs are harder to overcook and dry out than chicken breast. Leek, fennel and asparagus make up the vegetable content of the dish. As well as the chicken and veggies, this Italian Marsala chicken recipe features lemon juice, Marsala wine and parsley, to bring out all the delicious flavors .....
- How to Make a Healthy Vegetarian FrittataEggs are a wonderful and versatile ingredient for vegetarians, and you can use them to make breakfast, lunch or dinner, so it is a good idea always to keep some in the refrigerator. The following recipe teams the eggs with fresh vegetables, garlic, cheese, and basil, and the result is light yet perfectly satisfying. This healthy vegetarian frittata is something you are sure to enjoy. Feel free to change the vegetables, using up whatever you have in the refrigerator. Pretty much anything goes, so you might wish to swap the green onions for red onion, the baby spinach for broccoli, the potatoes for mushrooms, or even the basil for cilantro or .....
- Unusual Japanese ToiletsJapanese toilets have become a popular addition to many bathrooms all over the world, as people are realizing these top-quality additions are perfect in every way. Unusual Japanese toilets are something worth finding out more about. They’re just intriguing! The toilets which you can find in Japan are typically more advanced than toilets which are manufactured anywhere else in the world. There are two main designs of the toilet commonly found in Japan – the squat toilet and the bidet toilet. The older style squat toilet is often seen in public toilets but this is not a style that appeals to average households who are more included .....
- Gluten Free Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese RecipeThis grilled lettuce with goat cheese is a delicious starter recipe and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. This might be a simple recipe but it tastes really good. You might not have cooked lettuce before but it is perfect in this delicious gluten free recipe. Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese: Uh, Cooked Lettuce – Really? Yes, you really can cook lettuce and not end up with a watery mess in the pan. That does not apply to all lettuce though and you will need to choose something which holds its shape quite well like Little Gem or Romaine. The lettuce just needs to be heated up and crisped on the surface touching the pan. .....
- Moroccan Appetizer RecipesExperimenting with food and flavors is part of the fun when discovering new recipes and Moroccan food is often considered to be exotic and exciting. Why not experiment with Moroccan appetizer recipes and discover a brand new flavor sensation? Authentic Moroccan cuisine is straightforward, yet full of distinctive flavors and aromas. There is no other cuisine quite like it. You might never have considered cooking Moroccan food before but there is a huge array of different Moroccan appetizer recipes to choose from and no matter which ingredients you like to use, or what taste you want to aim for, there is sure to be a perfect recipe for you to .....
- Cat Behavior ExplainedOur furry feline friends have some fascinating behavioral habits which might be confusing to their owners but they do have explanatory reasons. Why do cats purr for example? Does it mean they are happy and content? Here is a look at some of the more common feline behaviors so you can consider at least some cat behavior explained. Cat Behavior: Why Do Cats Purr? Cats use purring as a communication device. A cat will purr when something makes them feel happy, comfortable or safe. A kitten and its mother often purr together as a sign of comfort and being relaxed and the kitten will continue the purring behavior throughout its life. It has also .....