This easy bobotie recipe can be made with your choice of ground beef or lamb. A combination would also work. The dish is popular in South Africa. It is comparable to meatloaf or lasagna, but it is spiced and the topping is a savory egg-based custard.
I’ve made it several times and always love how the gently spiced meat layer contrasts with the rich and creamy topping. Served with yellow rice and/or a fresh green salad, this dish is something that never gets old. I like to make extra because it heats up well the following day for lunch.
If you’ve made meatloaf, lasagna or a similar ground meat dish, you will recognize several steps in this easy bobotie recipe. Even if you’re relatively new to it, there is still nothing difficult about making this delicious South African dish. It isn’t spicy so you can even make it for the kids. You might prefer to use a mild curry powder rather than a spicy one though, in that case. Continue reading
Salmon is a powerhouse of nutrition. This salmon in mustard cream sauce recipe is just one idea for incorporating this juicy fish into a recipe. Wild-caught salmon boasts sweetness as well as a fatty touch which balances things out beautifully for the perfect mouth-feel.
This would be beautiful with any kind of potatoes – mashed, boiled (with dill weed!) or crispy and roasted, along with your favorite green vegetable. Broccoli, zucchini (courgette) and green beans are definite contenders. Personally I love grilled green asparagus, so consider that as well.
If you want to double up on the sauce it would make a fine vegetarian dip for chips, bread or veggie crudites. If you are serving this with mashed potatoes, simply ladle some of the extra sauce over those too. We are going to broil (UK: cook under the grill) the salmon for optimum results, and you will find the other ingredients add plenty of appeal to the overall flavor. Continue reading
I first tried spinach potato knishes (pronounced kuh-NISH-es) at Kenny and Ziggy’s in Houston TX, and wow was this some spectacular comfort food. I’m British so I am used to Cornish pasties (a tasty pastry-enclosed meat and potato recipe from the southwest corner of England) and I also enjoy pastry-wrapped or pastry-enclosed vegetable recipes for lunch or as snacks.
What are knishes, I asked myself, perusing the menu. Google to the rescue and I read the description. My mouth began to water and I thought wow I have to order these! So, now you’re asking what are knishes exactly? Well this tasty Jewish recipe is a savory pie. Knishes can be filled with potatoes, meat, sauerkraut, kasha, cheese, onions, spinach or a combination of these. Knishes may be baked, grilled or fried. The flavor remains similar but the spinach potato knishes texture varies depending on the cooking method employed.
Spinach potato knishes, which like the others are vegetarian knishes, can be compared to other pastry appetizers or baked dumpling type dishes, such as empanadas from Mexico, pasties from the UK, calzone from Italy or pirozhki from Russia. You can also compare the format and flavor to Jamaican patties, southeast Asian curry puffs, South and Central Asian samosas, Middle Eastern fatayers and Portuguese rissols.
This delicious Thai tom kha gai soup recipe is made with 10 ingredients only plus a few optional extras for serving. We are using chicken and mushrooms to make this, along with typical Thai ingredients like galangal, lemongrass, lime, coriander, coconut, fish sauce and palm sugar to make it.
This is a tasty, filling Thai chicken soup recipe and it’s also therapeutic if you’re under the weather or suffering from a cold or the flu. The chicken and vegetables are nourishing while the steam from the soup helps with decongestion.
As for the garnish, we like to present this traditional tom kha gai soup recipe with cilantro, chilies, lime leaves and lemongrass but feel free to omit one or all of those, as you prefer.
How to Serve Our Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe
This makes a great lunch or evening meal, perhaps served with something crunchy as an appetizer. Egg rolls or spring rolls would be fine, or you might like to have something seafood-based to begin the meal instead. Because this is a spicy soup, consider following up with something creamy to cool the mouth, perhaps mousse or ice cream.
While the Spice is Nice in Thai Chicken Soup… Tweak as Needed
Feel free to alter the amount of spice in this tom kha gai soup recipe. Not everyone likes the chilies although they are popular in many Asian cuisines so those cultures are more accustomed to them.
A lot of traditional Thai recipes are quite spicy but when making your own you are in charge of what goes in there, so alter the recipe as you see fit. If you are a fan of Thai recipes, try our Thai fried rice or Pad Thai dishes. Continue reading
Amethyst is a beautiful stone and a great choice for an engagement ring. I’ve found 10 stunning amethyst engagement rings which you are free to drool over! Not everyone wants a classic diamond solitaire. Some women prefer something more unique, which resonates with their personality more than a classic diamond.
If you find amethyst magical, mystical or just beautiful consider amethyst engagement ring ideas and see which style resonates with what you personally love. Amethyst is usually a purple color but you can also get a green variety which is even more unusual.
You can pair amethyst with white, yellow or rose gold, or even silver or another metal if you prefer that, choose from an amethyst solitaire or something else. Many other semi-precious and precious gems pair nicely with amethyst and you can find all kinds of settings. There is literally something for everybody when it comes to amethyst engagement rings.
Being drawn to amethyst is something a lot of us can appreciate, because this gorgeous purple stone is so beautiful. Choose an amethyst engagement ring and let this wonderful piece take pride of place on your finger. Are you shopping for your potential fiancee? She can’t fail to be flattered and pleased with this exquisite choice. Continue reading
You can make a perfectly delicious hummus recipe no tahini in a couple of minutes. In fact a hummus recipe without tahini is just as good as the traditional kind. However you choose to enjoy your hummus – served as a dip with breadsticks or veggie crudites, or paired with homemade falafel in pita bread, you will love this version.
As well as the chickpeas, which are also known as garbanzo beans, you are going to need oil, garlic, lemon, cumin and salt. Those ingredients will help you get the right hummus recipe no tahini texture along with the perfect flavor. You might want to thin it with a bit more water and/or add more salt to get the flavor just right.
Two tablespoons of this delicious hummus recipe no tahini equates to 70 calories. If you still want to use tahini just add 2 tablespoons of it to the mixture in the food processor, and the delicious result is all yours to enjoy. Making several dips? Why not try our Greek yogurt avocado dip as well, or a tasty crab dip? Serve them all at once as a trio along with your favorite crackers or crudites. You can’t fail to impress! Continue reading
Other Posts You Might Like
- Retro Bathroom IdeasRetro bathroom ideas can be a huge amount of fun, and ensure that you create the ultimate design in your bathroom. People have begun to experiment far more with vibrant colors and exciting features which can help to give you the ultimate bathroom. There are several different retro ideas to look into, which can help you to design the room to your taste, so take your time browsing what is available. A retro bathroom can include a variety of factors to ensure you create the ultimate space to relax and unwind in. However, you need to ensure that you don’t go too far, producing an overboard, kitsch bathroom which lacks taste. Small amounts .....
- Gluten Free Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese RecipeThis grilled lettuce with goat cheese is a delicious starter recipe and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. This might be a simple recipe but it tastes really good. You might not have cooked lettuce before but it is perfect in this delicious gluten free recipe. Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese: Uh, Cooked Lettuce – Really? Yes, you really can cook lettuce and not end up with a watery mess in the pan. That does not apply to all lettuce though and you will need to choose something which holds its shape quite well like Little Gem or Romaine. The lettuce just needs to be heated up and crisped on the surface touching the pan. .....
- Easy Beef Chow MeinAn easy beef chow mein is one of the tastiest Chinese dishes and if you are in the mood to rustle up your own, rather than ordering takeout, you can expect not only to save money but also to be able to enjoy a superior, more authentic flavor. You can make this easy beef chow mein in about 15 minutes flat, maybe less, and enjoy it for lunch or dinner. Different Types of Chow Mein Chow mein translates to mean fried noodles. Chow means ‘fried’ and ‘mein’ means noodles. There are 2 main variations of the dish – Hong Kong style which is with crispy noodles, or steamed chow mein. In this recipe we are pairing beef and .....
- Fruits de Mer RecipePlateau de fruits de mer is the French term for seafood platter, and this recipe comprises both cooked and raw seafood on a chilled platter, often on a bed of ice. If you order a fruits de mer recipe, you can expect shellfish along with bread, mayonnaise (preferably homemade) and condiments like cocktail sauce and mignonette sauce. The serving platter will be above table level on some kind of stand, and sometimes there are several tiers, both to make it look for elegant, and also because some of the shellfish is served on the half-shell or in the full shell, and then it takes up a lot of room. A fruits de mer recipe is traditionally served .....
- Refreshing Orange Mint TeaAlthough this is called orange mint tea there is no actual tea in there, so it is more than an infusion. The mint leaves are steeped in the mixture though, like tea would be. Feel free to swap the sugar for honey or sweetener in this orange mint tea if you wish, and you can also serve it hot or warm, although it is especially good served cold. If you are growing your own fresh mint, take the opportunity to make this wonderfully refreshing tea with it. After dissolving the honey or sugar in the orange mint tea, you may cool it and freeze it for future use if you want. It freezes just fine. Else just serve it with plenty of ice. This is a .....
- Creamy Scallop Baked PastaThis creamy scallop baked pasta is one of my favorite dishes. It is simple to make and its creaminess makes it wonderful comfort food. I love scallops. In fact, I love all kinds of seafood! This is also a dish my husband enjoys whenever I made it. The fact that this contains scallops makes it a gourmet baked pasta dish. Every time I make creamy scallop baked pasta, I make it slightly differently, so I offer different options in the recipe so you can tailor it to your own palate. I like to add spinach or bell pepper, both for color and for nutrients and added flavor. I use frozen scallops because I don’t have much option where I live. I .....
- Delicious Curried Deviled EggsDeviled eggs make a nice dish before any main course or you can serve them at a buffet or party. Curried deviled eggs are especially nice and the curry flavor goes really well with the egg taste. You can add a bit of sweet relish or minced sun-dried tomatoes too if you want to. You might also want to add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce or a bit of Dijon mustard to spice this deviled eggs recipe up. If you prefer plain deviled eggs, just leave out the curry powder and green onions. Most people will prefer the eggs slightly curried though. More Tips for Curried Deviled Eggs If you don’t have a piping bag to pipe the egg yolk filling .....
- Steamed Wontons with TofuThis recipe combines tofu, cabbage and carrot with delicious seasonings like hoisin sauce, sesame oil and more, for sensational steamed wontons. Whether you are a vegetarian and therefore looking for vegetarian wontons, or whether you just like tofu, there is no doubt this steamed wontons with tofu recipe is fantastic. Tofu is really versatile and you can stir-fry it, bake it, grill it (the firm kind anyway) or use it in a vegetarian wonton recipe as a substitute for another kind of protein, and it will soak up all the other flavors in the dish, and offer a pleasing texture as well. Maybe you are wondering how to use a bamboo steamer and the .....
- No Meat Peanut CrackslawSimilar to our other recipes for crackslaw yet slightly different because of the peanut butter and the lack of meat, this one is a nice change of pace. Just like with the other recipes though you should feel free to adapt this peanut crackslaw recipe and make it however you prefer. If you want to use meat, go ahead, choosing from beef, pork, chicken – as long as it is ground that is fine. Check the label to make sure it is 100% meat and no fillers. This peanut crackslaw is really simple to make. If you do want to use ground meat, cook that first, then empty it out of the wok and proceed with step 1. Add the meat back in the end and .....
- Cream Cheese Wontons with CrabCrab and cream cheese are combined in this easy wonton recipe for a spectacular result. You will need softened cream cheese for these cream cheese wontons with crab so either leave the cream cheese at room temperature for a while or microwave it for 20 seconds. Feel free to be creative with the wonton wrapper shape when making your cream cheese wontons with crab. You can make scrunched up wontons, triangles or any other shape you fancy. Just make sure they are well sealed so they hold together when they are being fried. What Kind of Crabmeat to Use Dungeness crabmeat is the best kind to use, but use whatever type of lump crabmeat you can .....