Before I move on to my experience at the Manor House at the Houstonian, allow me to share just a little bit of background. My husband and I moved to Houston last year, in July to be precise, and we wasted no time diving into Houston’s amazingly diverse culinary world.
We ate at so many different places, trying to get a feel for what was popular locally and, well, simply enjoy these gastronomic experiences. We tried chain restaurants, Mom ‘n Pop places, Japanese, Korean, Southern, French… well actually, a little bit of everything.
And you know what I realized first? Two things. First… Texans like their food. Whether it’s barbecue, fast food, takeout, whatever – the portions need to be hot and they need to be satisfying. Second… there is a lot of competition in Houston. A lot of options. Open a mediocre restaurant and you’re not going to be in business for long, because we locals know what’s what. Since last summer I’ve had the pleasure of dining at many local eateries. And yes, you’d better offer great food if you want to do well. Continue reading
Chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups. I love everything about it – the juicy chicken, the tomato-ey broth, the crisp tortillas on top, the cheese, just… everything! I like to keep my soup recipes simple, so you will see the following is as streamlined as I could make it. Grab the ingredients you need and make this. I promise, whether you want a light lunch or simple supper, you’re going to love it. There are lots of different chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes recipes to try but I happen to like this one just because it is so easy.
What You Need to Make It
Along with the cooked chicken and Rotel tomatoes you will need refried beans, chicken broth, corn and either some fried tortilla strips or broken tortilla chips, whichever you have.
If I am jazzing this up, I might add a scoop of sour cream and some avocado on top, and I like to add a good amount of shredded Mexican blend cheese as well. Those additions to the basic recipe make all the difference, but they are purely optional. So just add what you want to have.
This chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes makes a great meal and it’s surprisingly filling too. There are crockpot chicken tortilla soup recipes too, but honestly if you’re using leftover shredded chicken you might as well simply mix the ingredients together in a pan and cook the soup in a matter of minutes. Continue reading
Corn is always good especially when you cook the fresh kind and slice it off the cob in sweet, juicy slices. I love this Monterey style sweet corn recipe as a side dish because it seems to complement just about everything from chicken or seafood to steak or game meats.
Why You Should Make This Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe
This dish is easy to prepare, attractively bright colored and is sure to appeal to even the youngest members of the family – those who are normally picky about vegetable-based sides!
I find about a tablespoon of jalapeno enough to give the the Monterey style sweet corn a bit of a bite, but of course some people prefer to add more while others want to omit all traces of spice from their food, so you be the judge here and adapt it to suit your own palate.
If you need to rustle this up in a hurry, you could use well-drained canned corn but honestly that doesn’t really do this south of the border inspired dish justice, so get some fresh ears of corn and make it from scratch. That way you will have a real explosion of flavor in your mouth with every mouthful.
Some More Hot Content For You
Pasta salad is always a winning dish. It is cheap to make, you can use leftover cooked pasta or cook some in about 10 minutes, and there are all kinds of flavors you can add to this easy pasta salad with parmesan cheese.
In this recipe we are keeping with the Italian theme (although you might like to look at our Indian pasta salad for a wonderful fusion idea!) by incorporating parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
Although the tangy red wine vinegar dressing is good, sometimes I prefer to just use mayo for a super-simple dressing which boasts a lovely creaminess everyone is going to love. You can add other flavors to the mayo too, like mustard, spices or dried or fresh herbs, as you like.
Use white pasta for the best result – perhaps penne, shells or another favorite. For pasta salad, avoid the long kinds like spaghetti or linguine, and go for something that’s easy to pick up on the fork or scoop up in a spoon.
This recipe can be made quickly and easy, and it is an excellent pairing for everything from grilled chicken to burgers, steaks or even fish. Why not make a big batch for your next barbecue event or party? Continue reading
I first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity.
Side Dish Options
What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to reheat in the microwave.
What Kind of Corn to Use
Although some people prefer to use fresh corn when making a pastel de choclo recipe, I usually just use the canned kind which is fine in this corn pie as long as you drain it properly. Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar. It helps with the caramelization but my husband is diabetic so I usually use half sugar and half sweetener. Continue reading
This omelet makes a great side dish for a curry if you don’t want to serve rice or naan bread or if you are looking for low carb side dish ideas. You can also eat it by itself as a meal or snack. This is the best Indian omelet recipe to choose if you are looking to spice things up a little and enjoy a brand new flavor.
What is in the Best Indian Omelet Recipe
Along with the eggs which are of course the main ingredient in any omelet, we are using spinach, shallots, cilantro, turmeric and chili.
You can omit the spinach if you want, or replace it with sliced mushrooms. You can also swap the shallots for a small yellow onion or omit the chili pepper if you don’t want it spicy.
Making the best Indian omelet recipe is simply a matter of combining the ingredients then cooking the omelet in a skillet. I like to wilt the spinach first but you don’t have to do that unless you want it really soft. It cooks in the omelet anyway. Continue reading
Other Posts You Might Like
- Finnish Beef and Onion Pasties RecipeA wonderful quick recipe which features beef, onion and more. These little Finnish beef and onion pasties are one of our most interesting starter recipes and they are so easy to make. Serve these Finnish beef and onion pasties hot, warm or chilled and you can guarantee they will be popular. In fact you might want to double up the recipe, especially if you are catering for a buffet or a big gathering. Not Too Different from British Food Not everyone is accustomed to eating Finnish food but these Finnish beef and onion pasties could pass for British cuisine. The tasty pastry encloses the beef filling and these hot little treats will certainly .....
- Unusual Japanese ToiletsJapanese toilets have become a popular addition to many bathrooms all over the world, as people are realizing these top-quality additions are perfect in every way. Unusual Japanese toilets are something worth finding out more about. They’re just intriguing! The toilets which you can find in Japan are typically more advanced than toilets which are manufactured anywhere else in the world. There are two main designs of the toilet commonly found in Japan – the squat toilet and the bidet toilet. The older style squat toilet is often seen in public toilets but this is not a style that appeals to average households who are more included .....
- Chinese Prawn Toast RecipeChinese prawn toast, or Chinese shrimp toast, is very popular and makes a tasty hot starter. You don’t have to serve Chinese food as the main course since this Chinese prawn toast recipe goes nicely as an appetizer before a Thai main course, Indian main course or anything else you like. How Does a Chinese Prawn Toast Recipe Taste? These little appetizers often have sesame seeds on but that is not essential. The toasts should be crispy without being burned, and taste fishy without being too fishy. Prawn toasts usually feature on Chinese restaurant menus because their wonderful crunch makes them very appetizing......
- Middle Eastern Shakshuka RecipeShakshuka is a Middle Eastern tomato, bell pepper and egg dish. Sometimes it is spelt shakshouka. This Middle Eastern shakshuka recipe actually originated in Northern Africa and there are many different variations on the basic theme. The feta cheese is not a traditional ingredient, for example, but I love to add it because the creamy tang goes so well with the dish. Leave it out if you prefer though. How to Serve a Middle Eastern Shakshuka Recipe It is often served for breakfast in Israel with challah or pita on the side. The dish is also good for brunch or lunch. I like it with pita bread, homemade hummus and other Middle .....
- Exotic Mango and Chicken SaladThis tasty and exotic mango and chicken salad recipe is a fusion style appetizer, blending the flavors of southeast Asia. This creative cuisine has its roots in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia and this is a really juicy and flavorful starter recipe. You can either serve it on a big plate if you are making starters for a buffet or give everyone a plateful. Salad greens and tomato are great as a garnish and this is a great idea for a starter recipe. A Wonderful Asian Dressing The salad dressing used for this exotic mango and chicken salad is a combination of yogurt, ginger, lime juice and soy sauce. You could add some sesame seeds .....
- Healthy Easy Shrimp Salad RecipeShrimp is a great addition to salad recipes. It offers a subtle, light flavor and goes well with many other salad ingredients. A base of salad leaves or spinach can be topped with hot, warm or chilled cooked shrimp along with other things like pineapple chunks or mandarin segments for sweetness, walnuts or cashews for crunch, cherry tomatoes for color and anything else you want to add to your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe. You can cook shrimp in various ways, such as deep-frying, stir-frying, boiling, baking or grilling. If you want to pan-fry the shrimp, they will only take a couple of minutes, as will boiling or grilling, although if .....
- Chilled Cherry Soup RecipeThe following chilled cherry soup recipe features lemon and cinnamon to highlight the wonderful cherry flavor and lend a gourmet touch to this soup, while the flour thickens it up a bit and the sour cream adds a nice tang. A Starter or a Dessert This chilled cherry soup recipe would be excellent served as a starter recipe or for dessert, whichever you like. It is light enough not to fill people too much before their main course, which is always something you want from starters. What is the point of filling people up so much they don’t want their main course! You won’t have that problem here. The chilled cherry soup recipe is .....
- Traditional English Ploughman’s LunchA ploughman’s lunch is a wonderful treat, best enjoyed in the beer garden of an old country pub, with a cold pint of cider or real ale. You can order a traditional English ploughman’s lunch in many English pubs, and you’ll never be disappointed. Dating back to the 1930s, a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is comprised of crusty bread and butter, English cheese, pickled onions, pickles and chutney, and it might also include ham, apple, radishes, hard-boiled eggs or Scotch eggs, celery, cherry tomatoes, and other cold ingredients. Now you know why a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is so good. Farm .....
- Crab Rangoon WontonsCrab rangoon wontons are always popular at buffets and dinner parties. They make a great appetizer before a meat or poultry main course. You can garnish them with fresh dill if you like. Since dill is traditionally served with fish, this will indicate to your dinner guests that the wontons contain fish or seafood. Crab rangoon wontons are known as crab puffs in Pacific northwest states. They might also be called crab meat cheese, cheese crab wontons, crab pillows or crab cheese wontons. Regardless of how you call them, these crab rangoon wontons are always amazing. History of Crab Rangoon Crab rangoon has featured on Trader Vic’s menu since .....
- Authentic Chinese Wonton SoupTraditional Chinese food recipes are fascinating and following these will allow you to prepare the meal as it has been made and enjoyed for centuries. Every element of the authentic Chinese wonton soup recipe including the ingredients, preparation and serving suggestions are authentic. The original style of preparing and cooking the Chinese recipes are incredible, and will allow you to indulge in top quality Chinese foods, keeping things traditional at every stage. Ensuring that Chinese Food Recipes are Traditional You may enjoy Chinese food, but what you purchase in the local takeout or eat at a Chinese buffet is unlikely to be .....