What to Eat with Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes affecting around 90 – 95 % of the 26 million children and adults with the condition in United States. Hardly surprisingly, controlling the diet is a very important part of looking after yourself. This is why knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes is so important.
Also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes, it is a chronic condition where the individuals have problems regulating the blood sugar in their body. Those who have high blood sugar are either unable to produce enough insulin or are not responsive to insulin.
In recent years the incidence of diabetes has increased, perhaps partly fueled by out dependence on prepackaged foods and the fact many people are more sedentary these days than ever before. Diabetes can also be hereditary and affect healthy eaters and sporty individuals, so it is not your ‘fault’ if you get it.
You do however need to know how to treat the condition and and know what to eat with Type 2 diabetes and which foods to stay away from in order to stay healthy. It is possible to lead a long, healthy life, even with Type 2 Diabetes, as long as you look after yourself.
Who Gets Type 2 Diabetes?
Anyone can be a victim of type 2 diabetes, but those who are at high risk of the disease are:
• People over 45 years of age
• Are obese or overweight
• Had gestational diabetes
• Has family history of type 2 diabetes
• Have high blood pressure
• Don’t exercise
Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes:
• Increased hunger or thirst
• Sudden weight loss
• Frequent urination
• Blurred vision
• Slow-healing sores or frequent infections
It is advisable to see a doctor if you notice any of the above-mentioned signs and symptoms. Your doctor can prescribe blood tests that will help him/her to diagnose your problems. And then you can work on finding out what to eat with Type 2 diabetes.
Having high sugar can increase your risk of heart diseases, stroke, eye diseases, kidney problems, amputation, etc. although there is no cure for diabetes, you can avoid the complication by keeping your blood sugar in control. You can also make a few lifestyle changes that will help you stay healthy such as:
• Maintaining weight
• Eating healthily
Top Rated Diabetes Book, on Amazon
Type 2 Diabetes Diet
Knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes makes a big difference if you have diabetes, but following a diabetes diet plan doesn’t mean you have to give up on the foods you love. A healthy diet should include a variety of balanced foods that are rich in good carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
Some people prefer to limit their carb intake but it depends on the person. Examples of ‘good’ carbs’ include brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squashes, and most other vegetables.
Here are some of the best foods for diabetic patients:
Beans: they are high in fiber and give 1/3 of the daily requirement in ½ cup. They are also high in magnesium and potassium.
Green leafy vegetables: the dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale are low in calories and carbohydrates.
Non-fat milk and yogurt: the non-fat dairy is rich in vitamin D as well as calcium which help develop strong bones and teeth. They are a good choice for diabetic as they have a low GI score.
Tomatoes: No matter how you like your tomatoes, they are enriched with vitamin C, iron, and vitamin E. they are also full of lycopene which is a powerful substance that helps prevent cancer, eye diseases, and heart problems.
Berries: blueberries, strawberries or any other variety of berries you prefer, they are rich in vitamin C which protects eyes, antioxidants that has cancer-fighting properties, and fiber.
Citrus fruits: oranges and other citrus fruits like grapefruit and lemon are a good source of fiber. They are also filled with vitamin C and it is recommended to eat the whole fruit rather than the juice.
Fish: Wild Salmon and other varieties of fish that are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial for lowering the risk of heart disease. They are also full of vitamin D and selenium which promotes hair and nails growth and gives healthy skin.
Nuts: Walnuts and flax seeds are rich in magnesium, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. Nuts are a good source of fats and can curb hunger.
Eating healthily is important for everyone but it is extremely essential for diabetic patients. Knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes can go a long way to helping you control your diabetes. Combining a good diet with exercise can help you maintain your sugar levels and lead a healthy life.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Chinese Calamari Szechuan StyleMany people enjoy Chinese recipes at least once a week, as the meals are simple to prepare and cook, making them quick and easy for everyone. Chinese appetizers can be enjoyed before a traditional Chinese meal, and many people enjoy this style before their normal main dish, Chinese or not. You might want to try this Chinese calamari Szechuan recipe and see how you find the spice and flavor. There are various authentic flavors from China which you will already be familiar with, and you can get many Chinese ingredients from the regular grocery store, although an Asian grocery store is your best bet if you want to stock up on such ingredients. .....
- How to Enjoy ChampagneAlthough there are lots of types of sparkling white wine to choose from (cava, prosecco etc) it is fair to say nothing is the same as champagne. This sparkling white wine is made from chardonnay grapes in the Champagne region in France and is produced in a specific way. It is worth knowing how to enjoy champagne since its fullest so you can treasure every sip of this exquisite drink. The rules of champagne making demand secondary fermentation of the champagne wine in the bottle to create the carbonation. The main grapes used to make it are white chardonnay, pinot meunier and black pinot noir, although these vary. A ‘blanc de .....
- Healthy Easy Spiralizer Recipes and IdeasA spiralizer isn’t the most commonly talked about kitchen gadget, but it’s definitely one that has been gaining popularity recently. If you haven’t heard of this interesting invention before a spiralizer is basically a neat, time saving tool that turns vegetables into thin, noodle like strips to use in a bunch of different dishes. There are plenty of easy spiralizer recipes to have a go at too. If you have ever tried to thinly slice a zucchini using a julienne peeler, or worse – a knife – and given up halfway through because it was taking too long then the spiralizer will be your new culinary sidekick. The way a spiralizer works .....
- Easy Winter Appetizer IdeasMost people love to cozy up and relax during the colder months. There’s something about the winter weather that brings people together and gathering around some hearty and easy winter appetizer ideas is a great way to spend that time with friends and family. In the winter, it’s best to serve warm foods, but don’t let that overwhelm you. There are plenty of ways to present a great spread without slaving away in the kitchen for hours. You don’t have to tell anyone how easy the winter appetizer ideas were to prepare! One simple strategy for an appetizer sure to impress is to do fondue. Fondue can be easily customized to your party’s theme .....
- Bamboo Shoot and Pork WontonHere we are looking at making bamboo shoot and pork wonton. Pork and shrimp might sound like a strange combination but as wonton fans everywhere know, it is a magical mixture! Add bamboo shoots, green onions and a few other choice ingredients and you have wonton soup to die for. These wontons are meaty, fish and full-flavored. If you use water, then you will get soft wontons. Wontons are boiled in liquid when you want them to be soft and fried when you want a crispy finish. Another way to get a soft finish is to steam the wontons. This bamboo shoot and pork wonton recipe is easy to make and even if you’re new to wonton making you will .....
- Homemade Easy Wonton Recipes for EveryoneEasy wonton recipes should find a place in your meal, or at least appetizer, rotation. Whether you fancy making wonton soup, crunchy fried wontons, sensational steamed wontons or even healthy baked ones, there are plenty of easy wonton recipes for you to choose from. These feature all your favorite ingredients from chicken to duck or pork, nutritious veggies, exciting herbs and spices, and even fruit or cheese. There are wonton recipes for ever season, occasion and palate, and wontons can make amazing comfort food, a well-deserved snack, or even a complete meal. There are homemade easy wonton recipes for everyone to enjoy. Easy Wonton .....
- Indian Pasta Salad with ChickenPasta is not the first ingredient that should come to mind when you think about Indian cuisine because of course it is an Italian ingredient. However that is the beauty of fusion cooking. This Indian pasta salad offers some exciting flavors, all of which go together nicely. When combined they offer an exotic flair in what would otherwise just be a basic pasta salad. You can find all kinds of ingredients in this Indian pasta salad which come together wonderfully. The neutral flavor of pasta along with its firm al dente texture means a spicy, aromatic dressing is sure to suit it instead of clashing. In the following recipe we are teaming our .....
- Healthy Easy Shrimp Salad RecipeShrimp is a great addition to salad recipes. It offers a subtle, light flavor and goes well with many other salad ingredients. A base of salad leaves or spinach can be topped with hot, warm or chilled cooked shrimp along with other things like pineapple chunks or mandarin segments for sweetness, walnuts or cashews for crunch, cherry tomatoes for color and anything else you want to add to your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe. You can cook shrimp in various ways, such as deep-frying, stir-frying, boiling, baking or grilling. If you want to pan-fry the shrimp, they will only take a couple of minutes, as will boiling or grilling, although if .....
- Spicy Roast PotatoesThere are thousands of potato recipes, and many ways to prepare roast potatoes, including this spicy roast potatoes recipe. One of the nicest things to do with them is spice them up before roasting, and then you will be able to enjoy the aromatic spices and the potatoes too with their crispy outsides and fluffy hot insides. The following spicy roast potatoes recipe is very simple to make. You will need floury potatoes like King Edward, Yukon Gold, Charlotte, Maris Piper, or Duke of York. Floury varieties are better for mashing, fry-making or roasting, while non-floury potatoes suit boiling better. If you try to boil a floury potato it is .....
- Fresh Mexican Soup RecipesIf you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming. Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody. Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is .....