What to Eat with Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes affecting around 90 – 95 % of the 26 million children and adults with the condition in United States. Hardly surprisingly, controlling the diet is a very important part of looking after yourself. This is why knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes is so important.
Also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes, it is a chronic condition where the individuals have problems regulating the blood sugar in their body. Those who have high blood sugar are either unable to produce enough insulin or are not responsive to insulin.
In recent years the incidence of diabetes has increased, perhaps partly fueled by out dependence on prepackaged foods and the fact many people are more sedentary these days than ever before. Diabetes can also be hereditary and affect healthy eaters and sporty individuals, so it is not your ‘fault’ if you get it.
You do however need to know how to treat the condition and and know what to eat with Type 2 diabetes and which foods to stay away from in order to stay healthy. It is possible to lead a long, healthy life, even with Type 2 Diabetes, as long as you look after yourself.
Who Gets Type 2 Diabetes?
Anyone can be a victim of type 2 diabetes, but those who are at high risk of the disease are:
• People over 45 years of age
• Are obese or overweight
• Had gestational diabetes
• Has family history of type 2 diabetes
• Have high blood pressure
• Don’t exercise
Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes:
• Increased hunger or thirst
• Sudden weight loss
• Frequent urination
• Blurred vision
• Slow-healing sores or frequent infections
It is advisable to see a doctor if you notice any of the above-mentioned signs and symptoms. Your doctor can prescribe blood tests that will help him/her to diagnose your problems. And then you can work on finding out what to eat with Type 2 diabetes.
Having high sugar can increase your risk of heart diseases, stroke, eye diseases, kidney problems, amputation, etc. although there is no cure for diabetes, you can avoid the complication by keeping your blood sugar in control. You can also make a few lifestyle changes that will help you stay healthy such as:
• Maintaining weight
• Eating healthily
Top Rated Diabetes Book, on Amazon
Type 2 Diabetes Diet
Knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes makes a big difference if you have diabetes, but following a diabetes diet plan doesn’t mean you have to give up on the foods you love. A healthy diet should include a variety of balanced foods that are rich in good carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
Some people prefer to limit their carb intake but it depends on the person. Examples of ‘good’ carbs’ include brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squashes, and most other vegetables.
Here are some of the best foods for diabetic patients:
Beans: they are high in fiber and give 1/3 of the daily requirement in ½ cup. They are also high in magnesium and potassium.
Green leafy vegetables: the dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale are low in calories and carbohydrates.
Non-fat milk and yogurt: the non-fat dairy is rich in vitamin D as well as calcium which help develop strong bones and teeth. They are a good choice for diabetic as they have a low GI score.
Tomatoes: No matter how you like your tomatoes, they are enriched with vitamin C, iron, and vitamin E. they are also full of lycopene which is a powerful substance that helps prevent cancer, eye diseases, and heart problems.
Berries: blueberries, strawberries or any other variety of berries you prefer, they are rich in vitamin C which protects eyes, antioxidants that has cancer-fighting properties, and fiber.
Citrus fruits: oranges and other citrus fruits like grapefruit and lemon are a good source of fiber. They are also filled with vitamin C and it is recommended to eat the whole fruit rather than the juice.
Fish: Wild Salmon and other varieties of fish that are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial for lowering the risk of heart disease. They are also full of vitamin D and selenium which promotes hair and nails growth and gives healthy skin.
Nuts: Walnuts and flax seeds are rich in magnesium, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. Nuts are a good source of fats and can curb hunger.
Eating healthily is important for everyone but it is extremely essential for diabetic patients. Knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes can go a long way to helping you control your diabetes. Combining a good diet with exercise can help you maintain your sugar levels and lead a healthy life.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Chinese Kitchen EssentialsSome Chinese utensils are the same as Western ones, but not all. To make the best Chinese recipes you will need various pots and pans, ladles and spoons or spatulas. Yes, investing in Chinese kitchen essentials is going to be a good idea if you want to rustle up authentic Chinese recipes. A good-quality wok is also a staple, and you might like to get a bamboo steamer too since you can make steamed wontons in there, or even cook vegetables or chicken. A bamboo steamer can be yours for just $4 or $5. The texture of the bamboo allows steam to circulate and evaporate so you do not get a lot of moisture stuck on the lid. Also, you can steam more .....
- Chicken and Walnut Pate RecipePaté always makes a great starter and this tasty chicken and walnut pate recipe can be made in minutes. Whole wheat toast is particularly good with this recipe but white toast with this chicken and walnut pate recipe would certainly be fine too. It is up to you, so serve whatever kind of toast you prefer, even offer both whole wheat and white if you have dinner guests and are not sure about their preference. Homemade Chicken Walnut Pate? Yum! Making your own chicken and walnut pate recipe is such a good idea because, let’s face it, shop-bought pate is nothing special. Anyone can buy pate and serve it with toast and then what is going .....
- Baked Chicken Wings with Paprika and CayenneThese baked chicken wings are so good. If you are in the mood for chicken wings but you don’t want to fry them, try this recipe instead because they come out just as crispy as fried wings but are healthier because they aren’t going to be submerged in fat. A Flavorful Coating for Baked Chicken Wings The coating is made with flour, paprika, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne, and the wings are cooked in a little butter to crisp them up and stop them sticking to the baking dish. Swap the cayenne pepper for Hungarian paprika if you want, or the garlic salt for regular salt and a pinch of garlic powder, and the flavor of our baked .....
- Amethyst Engagement Rings | 10 of the Most BeautifulAmethyst is a beautiful stone and a great choice for an engagement ring. I’ve found 10 stunning amethyst engagement rings which you are free to drool over! Not everyone wants a classic diamond solitaire. Some women prefer something more unique, which resonates with their personality more than a classic diamond. If you find amethyst magical, mystical or just beautiful consider amethyst engagement ring ideas and see which style resonates with what you personally love. Amethyst is usually a purple color but you can also get a green variety which is even more unusual. You can pair amethyst with white, yellow or rose gold, or even silver or .....
- How to Make a White Wine Pasta SauceAlthough pasta goes great with all kinds of sauces, the gentle aromatic appeal of a white wine pasta sauce is something incredibly special. White wine pasta sauce is so easy to make and other ingredients which go well with the wine include garlic, butter and parsley. A lot of these white wine pasta sauce recipes might include olive oil instead of the butter, or alongside it, and you can make such a sauce even if you don’t really drink white wine, since you are just using it for a rich flavor and typically only need a splash. When making a white wine pasta sauce, it is important to use a white wine you would drink, not something labeled .....
- Kedgeree Made with Couscous or RiceThis kedgeree recipe is a traditional British breakfast from colonial India, offering a great balance of smoky and spicy flavors. Enjoy this for lunch or dinner. It is also good for breakfast if you fancy something fishy. Yes this dish is usually made with rice but try kedgeree made with couscous if you want something deliciously different. Shrimp and haddock are combined with the rice or couscous and there are hardboiled eggs and onion in there as well, and some lemon juice which brings out the lovely fishy flavors. This kedgeree made with couscous recipe is much simpler to make than you might have thought, so why not try this at the .....
- Anchovy Wrapped OlivesThis anchovy wrapped olives recipe is very simple and shows you how to make anchovy wrapped olives. The recipe is perhaps one of the simplest you have seen, since you only need two different ingredients to make it, and this basic salty snack is beautiful whether you enjoy it with a cold beer, a glass of wine, a soft drink or even a warm beverage. Anchovies are salty, fishy and have an interesting texture, while olives are smooth, soft and the pimento filling is somewhat sweet. Anchovy Wrapped Olives: Making Your Own When paired, these two ingredients offer a beautiful savory flavor and a wonderful balance. These anchovy wrapped olives are .....
- Beef in Chinese CuisineBeef in Chinese cuisine. Yes it’s there, just not the most popular choice, at least in authentic Chinese cuisine. Beef is not used nearly as much as pork in Chinese cuisine, so when the Chinese talk about ‘meat’ they are usually referring to pork. Beef is used quite a bit in Szechuan cuisine, probably because there are more oxen in that region. Steamed beef is coated with cornstarch to make a gravy, while stir-fried beef is cooked until chewy. Beef is not as versatile as pork, for example they are not good for making a beef version of pork meatballs, which is why beef is not so popular. You will not find beef in Chinese .....
- The Benefits of Cooking Authentic Chinese RecipesAuthentic Chinese recipes are incredibly popular and have several different benefits, which is why more people than ever before are searching for the best recipe ideas. You might enjoy Chinese food but it’s fair to say that authentic Chinese recipes will taste very different. Once you have discovered several different recipes to try at home, you can begin to enjoy these benefits and appreciate real Chinese food for what it really is. Why Choose Authentic Chinese Recipes? Chinese food is considered to be incredibly healthy and very fast to make, ensuring that it is the perfect snack food. Some More Hot Content For You Handy Electric .....
- Choosing the Best Refrigerator to BuyA refrigerator is a durable appliance and you should choose something you will be happy with for the long term. It is important to research different refrigerators before picking one for this reason. The best refrigerator to buy depends on various factors. The first thing to think about is how much you can afford to spend, then the style you like and the energy saving requirements you have. A mini refrigerator such as a Fosters Husky mini 50l fridge, or another small one, might be what you need or maybe a large fridge-freezer is better suited to your requirements and one of the best refrigerator to buy to fit your needs. Maybe a camping .....