Different Kitchen Styles Explained
No matter how much space you have available or what budget, it is possible to create the kitchen of your dreams. Take a look at different kitchen styles and see which you resonate most with. These are some of the most popular kitchen styles which you can recreate:
For a great contemporary kitchen, rich wood finishes, high tech appliances and luxury gloss is the look you need to aim for. Floor to ceiling cupboards give you plenty of storage space, leaving the worktops uncluttered and wraparound surfaces that link the sink, worktop and splashback look great too.
A transitional kitchen will have elements of contemporary and traditional design. A transitional kitchen is eclectic and combines man-made and natural materials, textures and finishes. A mission style kitchen might be made transitional by adding bamboo flooring. This is one of the more interesting blends of different kitchen styles.
A Tuscan kitchen might be made transitional by using steel appliances or having some high tech lighting. You could have a cherry style kitchen with contrasting paint colours. The sky is the limit with transitional kitchens. Transitional fixtures and mouldings are not elaborate but should have some degree of ornamentation.
A traditional kitchen has an elegant and formal look like the European and American homes of the 18th to the early 20th centuries. Features in a traditional kitchen might include natural materials like stone or wood, antique appliances and fixtures, raised panel cabinet door styles, rope and crown molding, corbels and fluting and cabinets in mahogany, cherry or walnut.
How to Design Your Dream Kitchen Book, on Amazon
An Italian style traditional kitchen will rely on elegant cabinetry with onlays, rope molding and custom carved reliefs. These cabinets are usually painted cream and have intricate raised paneling, making them an interesting part of one of the different kitchen styles.
A Victorian style traditional kitchen will feature Cathedral arch doors, raised panels and ornate trims and moldings. Heavy, dark woods are usually used for Victorian style cabinets. For a Georgian style kitchen walnut, cherry or mahogany woods give a formal finish.
Stacked cabinetry to the ceiling, heavy crown molding and square panel raised doors are common. Black accents are often seen. Other traditional kitchen styles include Federal, Queen Anne, Early American, Manor, Shaker, Edwardian, Neoclassical, Colonial, Farmhouse, Regency, Cottage, Cape Cod, Bungalow and Plantation.
Another cozy example of different kitchen styles, a rustic kitchen will often feature a regional flair. You will see leather pulls, knotty alder, hickory or pine, wood panelling, wooden ceiling beams and rich, warm earthy tones.
An old world kitchen should hark back to its pre 17th century European style. The raised panel cabinetry is often painted and might have beadboard, cracking, cup and dish racks, bun feet and valence legs.
In an old world kitchen you might see stone floors and walls, furniture-look cabinetry, mosaic tiles, copper or pewter accents, rich deep colors, plaster or brick walls and appliances hidden behind panels.
500 Ideas for Your Kitchen Book, on Amazon
Tuscan is another old world style. A tuscan kitchen relies on natural materials. The cabinets will often be cream, earthy or yellow. Other old world kitchen styles include French chateau, Italian villa, Dutch cottage, Mediterranean, Castle, Gothic and Normandy cottage. Is this one of the different kitchen styles that appeals to you?
A country kitchen is often welcoming and bright, featuring woven baskets, painted and glazed cabinets and decorative molding and shelving. In a country kitchen, you might see checked, striped, floral, plaid and gingham patterns, antiques, handmade items, metal or chicken wire cabinet inserts, beadboard and calico or chintz window coverings.
In a traditional English country kitchen the cabinet design is normally square and accented by curves. Natural cabinets in oak or pine are popular. A large wooden mantle range hood, intricate molding and wood cutouts in valances look authentic in an English country kitchen.
For a farmhouse kitchen, use light or dark stained wood and use heirlooms or antiques for authenticity. For a cottage kitchen, you can use driftwood-like finishes for a seaside flavour. For a lake flavour, you can use darker wood but keep it natural looking. Other country styles include Swedish country, garden country and Tuscan country.
Art and Crafts Kitchen
An arts and crafts kitchen relies on a natural look with good quality craftsmanship. Recessed panel doors with thick frames feature in an arts and crafts kitchen and you can contrast the finish of the door frame against the panels.
In an arts and crafts kitchen you might see natural, neutral colors, clean strong lines, mullioned glass doors, rich woods, stained glass lighting fixtures and windows and recessed or inset panel cabinet doors. With a Shaker kitchen, which is similar, you might see beech, maple, birch or oak veneered wood. Inset flat panel doors go better with a Shaker kitchen style and you can use wide rails in the cabinet frame.
With a modern kitchen you should expect slick, polished finishes and modern windows and timber joinery. Stainless steel is widely used in modern kitchens. The lighting is normally recessed into the ceiling or halogen lights can be used. So now do you know which of the different kitchen styles is more your style?
Some More Hot Content For You
- Chicken and Walnut Pate RecipePaté always makes a great starter and this tasty chicken and walnut pate recipe can be made in minutes. Whole wheat toast is particularly good with this recipe but white toast with this chicken and walnut pate recipe would certainly be fine too. It is up to you, so serve whatever kind of toast you prefer, even offer both whole wheat and white if you have dinner guests and are not sure about their preference. Homemade Chicken Walnut Pate? Yum! Making your own chicken and walnut pate recipe is such a good idea because, let’s face it, shop-bought pate is nothing special. Anyone can buy pate and serve it with toast and then what is going .....
- Reliable Printers Under $100Look at these cheap and reliable printers under $100. All of them are under $100 and some under $50. A low-cost one is a great investment and you can get discounted top brands which will last for a long time. Hewlett-Packard, Epson, Canon and Brother are just some of the names to look out for. The most obvious reason to make an economical choice is that you will save money. Another good reason is that you can get just as good a one for $100 as you can for $200. Some are even cheaper than that. What Do You Need If you want an all-singing, all-dancing machine which will print photograph-quality shots, receive WiFi instructions so you can print .....
- Ham and Lentil SoupAdd ham to your lentil soup and not only do you have a tasty, nutritious soup but you can also enjoy the meatiness that ham adds in there. Ham and lentil soup is great for lunch or as a comforting, warming snack. Whether you are using a ham hock or some leftover cooked ham, you can add that flavor to the lentil soup and be guaranteed that it will come out beautifully. Ham and lentil soup is usually thick and chunky, and the lentils will start to disintegrate when they are cooked, thickening up the soup without you needing to add starch or another thickener. Why You Should Make this Ham and Lentil Soup This is a great recipe for home cooks .....
- Electric Cookware for the KitchenTechnology has become a huge part of everyday life, and every area of your home will have some form of electrical item to make life easier. The kitchen is no exception, and there are many different electrical cookware items which will enhance your cooking experience. Perhaps you already have all the electric cookware for the kitchen, or it could be you are considering some new purchases. One thing is for sure, and that means you won’t be short of choice, because there are so many wonderful items to choose from. Alongside the traditional pots and pans, you are likely to see many new high tech cookware items. From electric griddles and .....
- Best Traditional Pad Thai RecipeI never get tired of this wonderful dish – it really is the best traditional Pad Thai recipe. The rice noodles, shrimp, tamarind, nuts, lime juice and other ingredients work together in perfect harmony and the flavor is simply wonderful. The full name of pad thai (sometimes spelt pat thai) is kway teow pad thai, which means stir-fried rice noodles in a Thai style, and it is thought to be a southern Chinese dish which was introduced to Thailand in the mid-20th century. Pad Thai Noodles It is important to cook the noodles perfectly in order to make the very best traditional Pad Thai recipe. You will need ‘rice sticks’ which .....
- Beef and Potato Rissoles RecipeThese hot, tasty treats make a really delicious appetizer, so consider this beef and potato rissoles recipe if you want to make a hearty, delicious dish. The parsley, dill and thyme go really well with the beef and the currants and pine nuts add texture and flavor. Rissoles are quick and easy to make and you can serve them on a platter of lettuce leaves if you like. What are Rissoles? So what is the difference between a rissole and a hamburger patty, you might be wondering. Actually they are quite similar but a hamburger is often made with just meat and perhaps some seasonings, while rissoles often feature all kinds of added ingredients like .....
- Thai Vegetarian CrackslawIf you want to try something brand new, this Thai vegetarian crackslaw recipe offers an aromatic Asian flavor. Use Quorn, TVP (textured vegetable protein) or your favorite vegetarian meat alternative as well as julienne-cut veggies to make this dish commonly known as veggie crack or vegetable crackslaw. You will love the fragrant Thai flavors this dish offers, and probably want to make it again and again. This dish is low in carbs yet high in flavor. Thai Vegetarian Crackslaw If you want to use meat or poultry by all means go ahead. Just ensure it is fully cooked before adding the other ingredients to the pan. This recipe offers a wonderful .....
- Superb Summer Dessert IdeasSummer is a great time for refreshing and fruit-based desserts and other tempting, light summer dessert ideas. If you want to linger a bit longer at the dinner table and savor something sweet while you do it there are plenty of choices. Most of the time you will want to serve something to either cool people down or showcase the wonderful summer fruits available during the warm months of the year. A favorite summer dessert is ice cream. To make this common dish a little more special you can make it yourself. If you have an ice cream maker and a little bit of time you can create a special recipe for whatever you’re craving that day, thinking .....
- Quick and Easy Banana PancakesWhether you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, a quick snack or even a sweet treat when you get peckish in the evening, this easy banana pancakes recipe is ideal. You can combine the ingredients in a couple of minutes, then cook the pancakes in a skillet on the stove for a few minutes. Serve them just as they are, drizzled with some syrup or perhaps will chopped fruit or berries as a filling. You can also tweak our recipe, perhaps adding some cinnamon or nutmeg or even a little brown sugar. The sweetness of the banana means you don’t really need to add any sugar to the pancake batter, especially if you are going to serve it with .....
- Best Concealer for Dark CirclesAttempting to find the best concealer for dark circles may be daunting; however, there are some incredible products available, which can help with this common problem. Many women suffer with dark circles, which can be caused by numerous reasons. Lack of sleep, age, allergies and a poor diet can all result in your eyes appearing tired and darker than average. Ensure Your Eyes Look Incredible Your eyes are one of your best features, and they should look incredible at all times to give you confidence, and make you feel sexy. Natural remedies are often advised but using a top quality concealer, is a fantastic way to ensure that your confidence .....