How to Plan Kitchen Improvements
If you want to improve your kitchen it is vital to plan it properly. If you don’t plan well, you might end up with an expensive bad kitchen which you are unhappy with. This is why it’s vital to learn how to plan kitchen layout, improvements and everything else.
In the past, kitchen planning involved the stove, sink and refrigerator work triangle and the work surfaces took second place. Today there is a lot more to think about. Do you want a modern style kitchen? Do you want a rustic style kitchen with a kitchen pantry? Do you have your own ideas about how to blend styles to give your kitchen your own personal touch?
It is common these days to see professional style kitchens entering the domestic scene. Kitchens are a fashion accessory in some ways and there is more choice than ever these days. It does however take a lot of planning to create the perfect kitchen and there are various things to think about before you start, including your budget, your personal tastes, the space you have available and more.
Ask yourself a few questions before you start your new kitchen plans. Are you going to be cooking for large numbers of people regularly? Do you want your kitchen to be a place for people to congregate during a party? How many people in your house will cook? Does someone in the house like baking? Do you like spending a long time cooking or do you prefer making quick and easy recipes?
More to Think About
You might want to leave the planning of your new kitchen to a kitchen planner rather than do it yourself. This is cheaper than you might think. Home Depot, B&Q and similar places have staff with plenty of knowledge so if you purchase some appliances you might get free kitchen planning help from the shop. You can more easily find out how to plan kitchen remodeling and improvements with some professional advice.
Don’t go overboard. You might think that expensive marble would look nice as kitchen surface but if you want to move house in the future, you can’t take it with you and the price of a modestly priced house won’t include the extravagant outlaying you have made in the kitchen.
It is easy to look at magazines featuring amazing kitchens and dream of having one just like it. It’s not quite that easy though and the problem most people have is money.
The phrase ‘kitchen remodeling’ might be synonymous with ‘very expensive’ but it doesn’t have to be. There are a few great ways to ensure your new kitchen designs can be within your budget.
The first thing to do is to think about your floor plan. You might want to have an island fitted in the center of the kitchen or change the layout in another way.
One option which can increase the space of your house without having to have an extension is to take down an exterior wall. This will probably lead to changing two rooms in your house and can increase the property price too.
Kitchen Idea Book, on Amazon
What about a gallery kitchen? Consider that if you’re thinking about how to plan kitchen changes. These kitchens aren’t as pokey as you might imagine. You can always attach your kitchen to the dining room to make a special living space which is roomy and comfortable.
If you want a hassle free way of just putting something down and having done with it, what about an island? Islands are simple to fit and they don’t have to match the rest of the kitchen.
Easy Kitchen Planning and Remodeling
You only get one chance to plan your new kitchen so take your time. It is important to understand the different aspects of your new kitchen’s design.
Secrets of the Kitchen Work Triangle
When considering how to plan kitchen improvements, this is something to learn about. It’s quite interesting. The work triangle of the kitchen is an imaginary line drawn from the center of the refrigerator to the center of the sink to the center of the stove and then back to the refrigerator again. The triangle should be a maximum of 26 feet and no single leg of the triangle should be shorter than 4 feet or longer than 9 feet. The work triangle should not intersect an island by more than 12 inches.
If you have only one sink, it should be between or opposite the refrigerator, cooking surface or preparation area. This is so you won’t waste steps, be interrupted by foot traffic or be cramped.
Some people feel that the work triangle is too restraining for some kitchens. If there is going to be more than one person cooking, an L-shaped kitchen design might work better.
Kitchen Countertop Heights
You should have 2 heights of kitchen countertop, one between 28 and 36 inches from the floor and one 36 to 45 inches from the floor. This makes the kitchen better for cooks of different heights, cooks who might want to sit down and bakers who want to knead dough at a lower, more comfortable height.
Make sure no appliance, entry or cabinet blocks anything when opened. If you have an island cabinet, nothing should hit it when opened. Between 42 and 48 inches is a good minimum planning distance between cabinets.
You should include at least 5 storage or organizing items. Maybe include pull-out shelves, tall cabinets, raised base cabinets, storage bins, pull-out pantries, roll-out bins and lowered wall cabinets.
Windows and Skylights
These should equal a minimum of 10% of the total square footage of the living space including the kitchen or the kitchen itself.
Choosing a Fitted Kitchen
Fitting a kitchen will probably be one of the biggest home improvements you make. Kitchens and bathrooms are key sellers of homes. Style, price, function and versatility are all important to bear in mind when choosing a fitted kitchen.
Price is another issue when it comes to choosing fitted kitchens but a lot of major stores, such as MFI, B&Q and Homebase offer cheap kitchen units or packages where you get the appliance too and get a discount off the whole lot. Of course, you get what you pay for and it is important to choose a quality kitchen and have it installed correctly.
Affordable Kitchen Upgrades Book, on Amazon
The kitchen is often the hub of the house and can be a busy place, so you should make your kitchen as versatile as you can, regardless of its size and your cooking abilities! Take your time when learning how to plan kitchen improvements and don’t rush.
You should bear the work triangle in mind, the placement of the stove, sink and fridge, because these are the most important items in the kitchen. The style of kitchen you choose must be pleasing and it’s a good idea to choose a timeless style. There is a lot of choice in kitchens these days and you can choose from classic, traditional, contemporary, rustic and more.
A kitchen is more than just floor units and a wall. You will have to think about appliances, worktops, lighting, flooring and more. Do you want a range, a freestanding oven, a built-in oven and stove or something else? Do you want a twin sink, a single sink and drainer or a butler-style sink? What type of refrigerator do you want? What kind of washing machine, washer drier, fridge freezer do you want? Do you want a breakfast bar in the room?
Take Your Time and Get It Right
This might seem like a lot to think about but you don’t have to plan everything at once. Take your time, checking out the different options available.
In many showrooms, you can see how your finished kitchen will look before you buy it, thanks to computerized design programs. If you can provide the dimensions of your kitchen and choose what you want in it, you can see if the appliances fit where you want them to and how it will look.
This definitely makes life easier since you can see whether the kitchen you have in mind matches your requirements and kitchen measurements before spending anything. Also, ask how much fitting will cost and take that into the equation too.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Korean Tuna and Broccoli PancakesI had some leftover broccoli and decided to experiment a little, after the success of my vegetable jeon the other day. These Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes came out really well and I decided to share the recipe. They are so good! What are Jeon? Jeon (pronounced jun) is a Korean pancake and these fantastic little snacks make a great appetizer, or you could serve them as the main dish. Suitable for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a snack, there are lots of different jeon recipes. Making this Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes recipe is easy. Combine an egg, a couple tablespoons of flour and a handful of your main ingredient (could be mashed .....
- Best Julienne PeelersEveryone needs one of the best julienne peelers in their kitchen drawer in 2017! One of these little gadgets will glide effortlessly over your vegetables to peel them or give you matchstick-thin pieces or little strips. Use these for making coleslaw, for prepping veggies for a salad or for making matching shapes for another use. You can also stir-fry or saute them and they cook very quickly when they are cut so finely. When reading reviews for these the main thing is how well the device in question works, and also how easy it is to use. There are different ones to choose from and whichever one you choose depends how often you plan to use it .....
- Szechuan Quorn Crackslaw with Peanut ButterThis lovely recipe blends Quorn (a vegetarian alternative to ground meat) with vegetables, peanut butter and other Asian seasonings to make the most delicious quorn crackslaw stir fry you can imagine. Make it as simple or as spicy as you wish. Whether quorn crackslaw is a new concept to you or you are just seeking other recipes for this dish, this one is worthy of your consideration. Also known as veggie crack, this vegetable crack slaw recipe is addictive because of the wonderful flavors, but feel free to indulge because it’s super low in carbs! Szechuan Crack Slaw Stir Fry It is your choice how to prepare the vegetables for this dish .....
- Best Loaded Nachos Comfort Food StyleSo you want to make the best loaded nachos comfort food? You’ve come to the right page. Very few dishes offer as much as nachos do, and that includes the wonderful flavors combining spicy with creamy with mild, as well as textures because you have all kinds of those, ranging from soft to crunchy. Nachos can be served as a snack, appetizer or meal, and homemade nachos are, of course, the best! The following best loaded nachos comfort food recipe combines nachos with beef, homemade pico de gallo, cheese, spices, and more. But this is your recipe so you could take inspiration from the photo and use leftover roast beef instead of the .....
- The Benefits of Cooking Authentic Chinese RecipesAuthentic Chinese recipes are incredibly popular and have several different benefits, which is why more people than ever before are searching for the best recipe ideas. You might enjoy Chinese food but it’s fair to say that authentic Chinese recipes will taste very different. Once you have discovered several different recipes to try at home, you can begin to enjoy these benefits and appreciate real Chinese food for what it really is. Why Choose Authentic Chinese Recipes? Chinese food is considered to be incredibly healthy and very fast to make, ensuring that it is the perfect snack food. Some More Hot Content For You Easy UK Appetizer .....
- Easy Recipe for Coq au VinCoq au vin is a wonderful French dish featuring chicken, bacon, mushrooms and red wine. Other typical ingredients in this dish include garlic, thyme and onion. Our easy recipe for coq au vin shows how to to prepare this wonderful French treat. If your mouth is watering already you are not alone. This combination of ingredients appeals to nearly every palate, offering both richness and gentle aromatic flavor. Harmonious Flavors Come Together The red wine and bacon work beautifully together to add a special rich taste to the finished easy recipe for coq au vin dish, and of course the chicken thighs offer plenty of juicy flavor of their own. .....
- Squid Cooking TipsCooking squid is not difficult and it is important to be aware of that. Too many cooks quit before they even begin, not knowing how straightforward this type of seafood is to prepare. Read the following squid cooking tips and find out how to prepare and cook this wonderful ‘fruit of the sea’. Step by Step Guide If you are faced with a whole squid the first thing you need to do is pull the tentacles away from the body. Reach up inside the body for the quill, which is going to feel like a shard of plastic. Pull this down, out of the squid, and throw it away. Rinse inside the ‘hood’ (squid body) with cold running water. .....
- Eating Authentic Mexican Food in MexicoI think it’s fair to say Mexican food has to be one of the most misunderstood cuisines of all. People who aren’t familiar with it assume it’s all tortillas, beef and chilies, while those who eat at fast food outlets might believe those dishes are more authentic than they are. Eating authentic Mexican food in Mexico isn’t difficult but there are lots of tourist places you ought to avoid if you want to be eating the real deal. And then you have Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex and all the other hybrids and regional variations, so it’s hardly surprising knowing what is authentic Mexican food and what is not can be confusing! .....
- Hot Honey and Lemon Drink for the FluNobody likes to be suffering with a cold or the flu but if you are unfortunate enough to have it, then the good news is there is a wonderful hot honey and lemon drink for the flu you can make yourself quickly and easily, which will help you feel better. All you need are honey and lemon to make this hot honey and lemon drink for the flu, as well as some hot water, so while the kettle is coming to a boil, you can squeeze some fresh lemon juice. If you don’t have any lemons then squeezy lemon juice will do at a pinch. You might also want to add some whiskey, brandy or your favorite liquor. Although this does not do much for your cold or .....
- Discovering the Latest Modern Bathroom TrendsModern bathroom trends can suit every style, taste and budget, regardless of where you are in the world. More people than ever before are investing time and money into their bathrooms, and you will be amazed at the huge array of different trends available. There are several different ways that you can improve the look and feel of your bathroom with modern bathroom trends including a variety of different accessories and fittings. Creating the Perfect Environment You need to consider the overall feel that you want to achieve in your bathroom, and decide on your budget before you go shopping. Some of the latest modern trends are expensive so .....