How to Plan Kitchen Improvements
If you want to improve your kitchen it is vital to plan it properly. If you don’t plan well, you might end up with an expensive bad kitchen which you are unhappy with. This is why it’s vital to learn how to plan kitchen layout, improvements and everything else.
In the past, kitchen planning involved the stove, sink and refrigerator work triangle and the work surfaces took second place. Today there is a lot more to think about. Do you want a modern style kitchen? Do you want a rustic style kitchen with a kitchen pantry? Do you have your own ideas about how to blend styles to give your kitchen your own personal touch?
It is common these days to see professional style kitchens entering the domestic scene. Kitchens are a fashion accessory in some ways and there is more choice than ever these days. It does however take a lot of planning to create the perfect kitchen and there are various things to think about before you start, including your budget, your personal tastes, the space you have available and more.
Ask yourself a few questions before you start your new kitchen plans. Are you going to be cooking for large numbers of people regularly? Do you want your kitchen to be a place for people to congregate during a party? How many people in your house will cook? Does someone in the house like baking? Do you like spending a long time cooking or do you prefer making quick and easy recipes?
More to Think About
You might want to leave the planning of your new kitchen to a kitchen planner rather than do it yourself. This is cheaper than you might think. Home Depot, B&Q and similar places have staff with plenty of knowledge so if you purchase some appliances you might get free kitchen planning help from the shop. You can more easily find out how to plan kitchen remodeling and improvements with some professional advice.
Don’t go overboard. You might think that expensive marble would look nice as kitchen surface but if you want to move house in the future, you can’t take it with you and the price of a modestly priced house won’t include the extravagant outlaying you have made in the kitchen.
It is easy to look at magazines featuring amazing kitchens and dream of having one just like it. It’s not quite that easy though and the problem most people have is money.
The phrase ‘kitchen remodeling’ might be synonymous with ‘very expensive’ but it doesn’t have to be. There are a few great ways to ensure your new kitchen designs can be within your budget.
The first thing to do is to think about your floor plan. You might want to have an island fitted in the center of the kitchen or change the layout in another way.
One option which can increase the space of your house without having to have an extension is to take down an exterior wall. This will probably lead to changing two rooms in your house and can increase the property price too.
Kitchen Idea Book, on Amazon
What about a gallery kitchen? Consider that if you’re thinking about how to plan kitchen changes. These kitchens aren’t as pokey as you might imagine. You can always attach your kitchen to the dining room to make a special living space which is roomy and comfortable.
If you want a hassle free way of just putting something down and having done with it, what about an island? Islands are simple to fit and they don’t have to match the rest of the kitchen.
Easy Kitchen Planning and Remodeling
You only get one chance to plan your new kitchen so take your time. It is important to understand the different aspects of your new kitchen’s design.
Secrets of the Kitchen Work Triangle
When considering how to plan kitchen improvements, this is something to learn about. It’s quite interesting. The work triangle of the kitchen is an imaginary line drawn from the center of the refrigerator to the center of the sink to the center of the stove and then back to the refrigerator again. The triangle should be a maximum of 26 feet and no single leg of the triangle should be shorter than 4 feet or longer than 9 feet. The work triangle should not intersect an island by more than 12 inches.
If you have only one sink, it should be between or opposite the refrigerator, cooking surface or preparation area. This is so you won’t waste steps, be interrupted by foot traffic or be cramped.
Some people feel that the work triangle is too restraining for some kitchens. If there is going to be more than one person cooking, an L-shaped kitchen design might work better.
Kitchen Countertop Heights
You should have 2 heights of kitchen countertop, one between 28 and 36 inches from the floor and one 36 to 45 inches from the floor. This makes the kitchen better for cooks of different heights, cooks who might want to sit down and bakers who want to knead dough at a lower, more comfortable height.
Make sure no appliance, entry or cabinet blocks anything when opened. If you have an island cabinet, nothing should hit it when opened. Between 42 and 48 inches is a good minimum planning distance between cabinets.
You should include at least 5 storage or organizing items. Maybe include pull-out shelves, tall cabinets, raised base cabinets, storage bins, pull-out pantries, roll-out bins and lowered wall cabinets.
Windows and Skylights
These should equal a minimum of 10% of the total square footage of the living space including the kitchen or the kitchen itself.
Choosing a Fitted Kitchen
Fitting a kitchen will probably be one of the biggest home improvements you make. Kitchens and bathrooms are key sellers of homes. Style, price, function and versatility are all important to bear in mind when choosing a fitted kitchen.
Price is another issue when it comes to choosing fitted kitchens but a lot of major stores, such as MFI, B&Q and Homebase offer cheap kitchen units or packages where you get the appliance too and get a discount off the whole lot. Of course, you get what you pay for and it is important to choose a quality kitchen and have it installed correctly.
Affordable Kitchen Upgrades Book, on Amazon
The kitchen is often the hub of the house and can be a busy place, so you should make your kitchen as versatile as you can, regardless of its size and your cooking abilities! Take your time when learning how to plan kitchen improvements and don’t rush.
You should bear the work triangle in mind, the placement of the stove, sink and fridge, because these are the most important items in the kitchen. The style of kitchen you choose must be pleasing and it’s a good idea to choose a timeless style. There is a lot of choice in kitchens these days and you can choose from classic, traditional, contemporary, rustic and more.
A kitchen is more than just floor units and a wall. You will have to think about appliances, worktops, lighting, flooring and more. Do you want a range, a freestanding oven, a built-in oven and stove or something else? Do you want a twin sink, a single sink and drainer or a butler-style sink? What type of refrigerator do you want? What kind of washing machine, washer drier, fridge freezer do you want? Do you want a breakfast bar in the room?
Take Your Time and Get It Right
This might seem like a lot to think about but you don’t have to plan everything at once. Take your time, checking out the different options available.
In many showrooms, you can see how your finished kitchen will look before you buy it, thanks to computerized design programs. If you can provide the dimensions of your kitchen and choose what you want in it, you can see if the appliances fit where you want them to and how it will look.
This definitely makes life easier since you can see whether the kitchen you have in mind matches your requirements and kitchen measurements before spending anything. Also, ask how much fitting will cost and take that into the equation too.
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Enjoy ChampagneAlthough there are lots of types of sparkling white wine to choose from (cava, prosecco etc) it is fair to say nothing is the same as champagne. This sparkling white wine is made from chardonnay grapes in the Champagne region in France and is produced in a specific way. It is worth knowing how to enjoy champagne since its fullest so you can treasure every sip of this exquisite drink. The rules of champagne making demand secondary fermentation of the champagne wine in the bottle to create the carbonation. The main grapes used to make it are white chardonnay, pinot meunier and black pinot noir, although these vary. A ‘blanc de .....
- The Evolution of Starter RecipesIt’s interesting to learn about the evolution of starter recipes. Starters, or appetizers as they are also known, are served in most cuisines and cultures. These snacks were served in ancient Persia thousands of years ago and ancient Roman aristocracy used to enjoy eggs, fruit and similar treats before eating their main course. Appetizers have been served for many years in the UK as a snack before the main course arrived but modern ones can be quite different from old fashioned ones. Of course, you can still serve traditional recipes but it is also fun to experiment with the wide range of ingredients that are available today but that .....
- Yeast Infection Diet AdviceYeast infections can manifest in several different areas of your body, and can affect anyone regardless of age or gender. This form of infection is most commonly found in women and will affect the vaginal area. One of the most natural ways to fight this off is following the yeast infection diet. There are several different reasons for the yeast infection to surface, including a poor diet, stress, unhygienic behavior or using antibiotics. Understanding Fungus and Why It is in Your Body Before explaining more about the yeast infection diet, let’s look at this disease in more detail. A yeast infection will occur when the level of natural .....
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Ham and Lentil SoupAdd ham to your lentil soup and not only do you have a tasty, nutritious soup but you can also enjoy the meatiness that ham adds in there. Ham and lentil soup is great for lunch or as a comforting, warming snack. Whether you are using a ham hock or some leftover cooked ham, you can add that flavor to the lentil soup and be guaranteed that it will come out beautifully. Ham and lentil soup is usually thick and chunky, and the lentils will start to disintegrate when they are cooked, thickening up the soup without you needing to add starch or another thickener. Why You Should Make this Ham and Lentil Soup This is a great recipe for home cooks .....
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Sweet PeppersThese cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers are gorgeous and I often make them as a side dish. I like to use the long pointy red peppers, both because of their nice, sweet flavor, and also because of how they lie flat on the plate and don’t fall over. You can use bell peppers if you want, or even chilies if you have a taste for them. Roast these in the oven or broil them if you prefer. Keep an eye on them. You will be able to see when they are done. Tweak if You Wish It is perfectly possible to tweak this cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers recipe based on what you have. I have made these with just the peppers and the cream cheese before .....
- How to Make a Healthy Vegetarian FrittataEggs are a wonderful and versatile ingredient for vegetarians, and you can use them to make breakfast, lunch or dinner, so it is a good idea always to keep some in the refrigerator. The following recipe teams the eggs with fresh vegetables, garlic, cheese, and basil, and the result is light yet perfectly satisfying. This healthy vegetarian frittata is something you are sure to enjoy. Feel free to change the vegetables, using up whatever you have in the refrigerator. Pretty much anything goes, so you might wish to swap the green onions for red onion, the baby spinach for broccoli, the potatoes for mushrooms, or even the basil for cilantro or .....
- Easy Starter Recipe IdeasStarter recipes as they are called in the UK, or appetizer recipes as they are known in the US, are little snacks which are served before the main dish. There are easy starter recipe ideas to suit every occasion. There are hot and cold starter recipes that everyone can prepare, no matter whether you happen to be a newbie in the kitchen or an experienced and seasoned chef. So what are you planning to make as your New Year’s Eve starter recipes? A parma ham and melon starter, prawn cocktail, cheeseballs, canapes or something else? Keep reading if you are still looking for New Year’s Eve appetizer inspiration. Easy Starter Recipe .....
- Oven Roasted Tomatoes with GarlicThis oven roasted tomatoes with garlic recipe is perfect if you want a side dish. Combining the natural sweetness of fresh tomatoes with garlic and herbs, this is such a simple recipe and it makes a change from the usual platter of roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob or broccoli. Not that there is anything wrong with those of course but sometimes it’s nice to have a change of pace. Everyone loves tomatoes whether they are canned, fresh, cherry, plum or another kind, because this vegetable (well, technically a fruit) goes with just about everything. Try this oven roasted tomatoes with garlic dish and you’ll .....
- Spicy Roast PotatoesThere are thousands of potato recipes, and many ways to prepare roast potatoes, including this spicy roast potatoes recipe. One of the nicest things to do with them is spice them up before roasting, and then you will be able to enjoy the aromatic spices and the potatoes too with their crispy outsides and fluffy hot insides. The following spicy roast potatoes recipe is very simple to make. You will need floury potatoes like King Edward, Yukon Gold, Charlotte, Maris Piper, or Duke of York. Floury varieties are better for mashing, fry-making or roasting, while non-floury potatoes suit boiling better. If you try to boil a floury potato it is .....