4 Budget Hotels in the South of Gran Canaria
There are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy.
Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams.
Los Porches Bungalows Review
Los Porches is situated in the heart of Playa del Ingles and is in a prime location for the vibrant centers and the beach. The complex is large and has a number of different swimming pools ensuring that they never feel overcrowded. The bungalows are basic, but clean and have a small garden and terrace area. This is one of the more popular budget hotels in Gran Canaria.
Within Walking Distance
These bungalows are less than 500 meters from the local beach, which also has many shops, bars and restaurants to keep you busy.
Across the road from Los Porches, you will find the busy Yumbo shopping center which is considered to be the gay community of the island.
If you venture slightly further afield, you will find several other centers all offering local and international food.
The Good Points
The location of this complex is perfect and it’s on the flat making it great to walk and explore the local area. There is a basic kitchen area which is good enough for snacks and breakfast, and a terrace to enjoy your food. You’ll find that you may have a pool to yourself, depending on the time of the year that you are booked for.
The Bad Points
Some of the bungalows are old and the furniture and kitchen area could do with an update. The cleaners tend to be a bit lax and there are areas that could do with some maintenance. The price does reflect what you get, but there is no excuse for rundown facilities. The people who run the bungalows are often not there which can be difficult if you have a problem. This is a budget option so if you don’t mind less-than-perfect cleaning and older style furniture, you can save money by staying in this hotel. One of the budget hotels in Gran Canaria you might like to consider?
Puerto Azul Review
The Puerto Azul is in the family-friendly resort of Puerto Rico and is in a fantastic location overlooking the bay and beaches.
There are some brilliant facilities in this hotel, including two swimming pools, tennis courts, mini golf and huge terraces to enjoy the sun. The rooms are adequate and comfortable, and the food is enjoyable.
Within Walking Distance
There are two main beaches that can both be reached easily, by foot, bus or taxi ensuring that you can explore with ease. This is one of the best budget hotels in Gran Canaria for that very reason. The location of the hotel places it in between the two shopping centers, providing you with a great choice of bars and restaurants. The livelier main center is at the bottom of the hill and can be reached easily by foot.
The people who work in the hotel are friendly, and the bar and restaurant employees are always on hand to help. There is a children’s section to the pool which is great for safety, and to ensure that you can enjoy the adult pool without being splashed.
The supermarket on the site is brilliant for all of the essentials and is reasonably priced. The rooms are clean, and there is a regular towel change, which is important.
Lonely Planet Canary Islands Book, on Amazon
Some of the extras are expensive, and can begin to add up over the week – the TV package, washing machines and WiFi all cost extra. The hotel is quite difficult to navigate around, and there are not enough signs. There is no air conditioning, which in the summer months can prove a problem for sleeping. Getting to the hotel from the beaches is a long walk – all 700 steps can take a long time, and can become a chore so you will need to spend a few euros on a taxi to get to and from the beach. If that doesn’t bother you, this might be one of the best budget hotels in Gran Canaria to suit your needs.
The Sunsuites are a stone’s throw from the shops, bars and restaurants in Puerto Rico and are perfect as a base for your holiday. You’ll be a brisk walk away from the local beach, and a short taxi journey to the beautiful Amadores beach. The complex is clean and modern with spacious apartments offering great amenities. The kitchen has everything you need including a coffee machine, juice maker and complimentary washing-up liquid.
In the Surrounding Area
The shopping center is a short walk away from the complex and is ideal for evening entertainment.
There are several supermarkets and shops ensuring that you can find all the essentials and holiday gifts that you need. The beach is only 800 meters from the complex and is a pleasant stroll on the flat making it perfect with small children and pushchairs.
The Sunsuites offer incredibly clean apartments, with a daily maid service that provide fresh, clean towels every day. The location is ideal if you like to be close to the bars and restaurants, and the complex facilities are basic but adequate for everyone. The people who work in the Sunsuites are very helpful and available 24 hours a day – a good bonus to consider when planning which of the budget hotels in Gran Canaria is best for your requirements.
The noise can be an issue and in the summer months the commercial center can create a lot of noise until the early hours so you need to know this if you like to be in bed early instead of out partying most of the night, or if you’re a light sleeper. There are no baths in the rooms, which is a problem with smaller children needing to wash the sand off. You have to pay extra for air conditioning. The entertainment isn’t that great and does become repetitive if you are staying for longer than a week.
Walkirias is situated in the heart of the bustling resort of Playa del Ingles and offers an excellent location from which you can explore. You’ll be near the beach, shops, bars and restaurants, ensuring you do not miss anything. The apartments are spacious and have everything that you need for your stay. The rooms have a TV, telephone, separate bedroom, fully-equipped kitchen and large balcony.
Near the Complex
Where the Walkirias is located you are close to everything, which is perfect if you enjoy getting out and about exploring. The Yumbo, which is largest and most popular center, is very close by and offers a vast array of different venues. Outside of the centers you will find many bars and restaurants offering local cuisine at affordable prices.
The location is just perfect and will ensure that you are close to all of the action regardless of what you are searching for whilst on holiday. There is a 24 hour reception in the complex, so if you have any issues they are dealt with quickly. The heated pool with hydro-massage is lovely for the lazy days staying in the complex.
The complex can be noisy during peak times due to the location although closing the windows will help with the noise. The beds and bedding are very cheap, and not the most comfortable. The pool bar tends to open infrequently, which can be a problem if staying around the pool. The mini golf course needs updating, painting and maintaining as it is very run down, and also some of the areas around the complex need attention.
Recommended Day Trip – El Pajar Beach
Wherever you are staying in the South of Gran Canaria – Playa del Ingles, Mogan, Puerto Rico or elsewhere, it is worth exploring the area and seeing some local color. El Pajar is a small Canarian village situated just outside Arguineguin and offers a relaxing pace of life. It is lovely and well worth a visit. With the money you save by choosing one of the best budget hotels in Gran Canaria you can enjoy lunch and dinner out at El Pajar and have a great day, perhaps get some souvenirs as well.
This small area has many residents who all enjoy the quiet beach, bars and restaurants. El Pajar can be easily accessed, although during fiestas and at the weekend you may struggle to park.
What is There to Do?
The beach front dominates this area and this is where you will find all of the locals, although very few tourists. The beach is considered to be one of the few remaining natural beaches on the island. There are very few facilities and amenities along the beach but is ideal for sunbathing and swimming.
There are kayaks to hire for 10 euros a day, which is very reasonable, and you are allowed to bring your own jet skis and inflatables. This beach is perfect for families and small children as it is flat and the tide is not strong.
Restaurant Bar Playa
There is one main restaurant along the beach in El Pajar, which is owned and run by a local family. Bar Playa has been in this location for many years and excels at fresh seafood and local dishes.
The tapas served in this restaurant are all excellent and surprisingly affordable, much more so than what you are charged in the touristy areas anyway.
The service and decor in Bar Playa are basic, and you should not expect too much from the experience. However, the food is fantastic and at weekends there are very few tables available.
Further down the beach there is a small bar that offers beer and soft drinks at a bargain price. You can also find snacks and ice creams in this bar, but it is more for drinks than food really.
There are a couple of tables at the bar, but if you ask they will provide plastic cups you can take to the beach. People visiting El Pajar beach pop back and forth to this bar throughout the day to top their glasses up and grab a snack.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Different Types of Glassware and StemwareThe word ‘glassware’ refers to tableware made from glass, including flatware, cutlery, drinkware and dishes which are set on the table before a meal. Glassware can also be used for cooking meals, such as Pyrex dishes. There are many different types of glassware to choose from. Most glasses to drink from are either flat bottomed, tumblers, footed or stemware. You can also get yard beer glasses which are tall, conical glasses for beer which have a round base. Buy What You Personally Like Different people have their own tastes in glassware so it’s good there are lots of different types of glassware to choose from. I love those .....
- Crack Slaw with Chicken and Red OnionChicken is a nice meat to use if you want to enjoy that classic crackslaw flavor but limit the amount of calories. Of course beef is tasty but it is high in calories so if you are counting those too, or at least keeping an eye on your red meat intake, you might like to consider using chicken instead. This crack slaw with chicken recipe is simple to prepare and you will love the flavor. This recipe is made with chicken breast, which is a lean part of the bird, but is still flavorful and will soak up the lovely Asian seasonings used in the recipe. Delicious Chicken CrackslawThe following recipe makes use of mushrooms, red onion, carrot and .....
- Different Types of Kitchen KnivesWhen you shop for kitchen knives there are a few things to think about because there are different types of kitchen knives for different things. You will need different knives for different purposes. A santoko, or chef’s knife, is important. This knife is long enough to use for slicing and carving. If you only had one knife, a chef’s knife is the one to go for. The next knife you will need is one you can dice, mince and chop with. This would be a utility, usuba or paring knife. Any of these would be ideal for preparing the ingredients to add to a dish. A long, thin knife like a carver or slicer is good for cutting meat, fish and .....
- Rune Stones – A Beginner’s GuideWhat are rune stones? Well, rune stones, or runes as they are also known, are a system of communication, decision making and divination. There are 24 runes in a set and they are like an alphabet of the North and North Central Europe. To Buy or Make Rune Stones You can buy runes from New Age shops or online, but a lot of people like to make their own, and you can use stones or discs made from wood. Rune stones are often engraved but some are painted or drawn on instead. One way to make your own runes would be to find 24 similar size pebbles or cut 24 discs out of wood, and write on each one with a black marker pen. Some More Hot Content For .....
- The Best Creative Wonton IdeasSo you have made beef wontons, cheese wontons, seafood wontons, dessert wontons, several types of wonton soup and dumplings. Now what? There are plenty more ideas for wontons that you can consider. How about a filling of minced caramelized walnuts with toasted sesame seeds, or jelly and peanut butter? Those would be quirky yet delicious creative wonton ideas which would work beautifully. Fresh cottage cheese with smoked paprika would work, as would an Indian style wonton made with potatoes, peas, biryani spices, ginger and cumin. Dip these spicy wontons in a cool yogurt sauce. Chinese sausage meat could work, or make buffalo chicken purses .....
- Holland – The Great, The Good, The Bad and The UglyHolland, the Netherlands… call it what you like. I have lived here for 5 years so far with my Dutch husband. Just to give you a little background I’m English but lived in the Canary Islands and mainland Spain for 11 years before moving here. This piece looks at my opinions and my thoughts on the 6 best things and 6 worst things about Holland, or the Netherlands. Attempting a Balanced View Now before you message me, complaining that I don’t appreciate the country I live in or finding fault with where I choose to live, know this – this article is about the good AND the bad. I offer my thoughts on the things I love and the .....
- Banana Wontons with Chocolate Dipping SauceDessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but they are even more tempting served with a hot chocolate sauce. Save time by buying a chocolate sauce or impress your dinner guests by making your own. Why We Love Sweet Wontons Dessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but .....
- Easy Winkles RecipeWinkles are little black shellfish that look like snails. They may be enjoyed as part of a seafood platter or fruits de mer, or you can enjoy them as a snack by themselves, or with some bread and butter, as an easy winkles recipe appetizer. You can buy winkles either cooked or live but if you’re shopping for fresh ones (or picking your own) to make an easy winkles recipe, first you should check the smell. Good winkles smell slightly sweet and like the sea. They might move visibly. Live ones need to be rinsed in plenty of cold water before being soaked in salted water for half an hour before you boil them. Very Easy Winkles Recipe Ideas .....
- Chinese Kitchen EssentialsSome Chinese utensils are the same as Western ones, but not all. To make the best Chinese recipes you will need various pots and pans, ladles and spoons or spatulas. Yes, investing in Chinese kitchen essentials is going to be a good idea if you want to rustle up authentic Chinese recipes. A good-quality wok is also a staple, and you might like to get a bamboo steamer too since you can make steamed wontons in there, or even cook vegetables or chicken. A bamboo steamer can be yours for just $4 or $5. The texture of the bamboo allows steam to circulate and evaporate so you do not get a lot of moisture stuck on the lid. Also, you can steam more .....
- Octopus and Squid Stir FryLast night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it. On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I .....