4 Budget Hotels in the South of Gran Canaria
There are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy.
Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams.
Los Porches Bungalows Review
Los Porches is situated in the heart of Playa del Ingles and is in a prime location for the vibrant centers and the beach. The complex is large and has a number of different swimming pools ensuring that they never feel overcrowded. The bungalows are basic, but clean and have a small garden and terrace area. This is one of the more popular budget hotels in Gran Canaria.
Within Walking Distance
These bungalows are less than 500 meters from the local beach, which also has many shops, bars and restaurants to keep you busy.
Across the road from Los Porches, you will find the busy Yumbo shopping center which is considered to be the gay community of the island.
If you venture slightly further afield, you will find several other centers all offering local and international food.
The Good Points
The location of this complex is perfect and it’s on the flat making it great to walk and explore the local area. There is a basic kitchen area which is good enough for snacks and breakfast, and a terrace to enjoy your food. You’ll find that you may have a pool to yourself, depending on the time of the year that you are booked for.
The Bad Points
Some of the bungalows are old and the furniture and kitchen area could do with an update. The cleaners tend to be a bit lax and there are areas that could do with some maintenance. The price does reflect what you get, but there is no excuse for rundown facilities. The people who run the bungalows are often not there which can be difficult if you have a problem. This is a budget option so if you don’t mind less-than-perfect cleaning and older style furniture, you can save money by staying in this hotel. One of the budget hotels in Gran Canaria you might like to consider?
Puerto Azul Review
The Puerto Azul is in the family-friendly resort of Puerto Rico and is in a fantastic location overlooking the bay and beaches.
There are some brilliant facilities in this hotel, including two swimming pools, tennis courts, mini golf and huge terraces to enjoy the sun. The rooms are adequate and comfortable, and the food is enjoyable.
Within Walking Distance
There are two main beaches that can both be reached easily, by foot, bus or taxi ensuring that you can explore with ease. This is one of the best budget hotels in Gran Canaria for that very reason. The location of the hotel places it in between the two shopping centers, providing you with a great choice of bars and restaurants. The livelier main center is at the bottom of the hill and can be reached easily by foot.
The people who work in the hotel are friendly, and the bar and restaurant employees are always on hand to help. There is a children’s section to the pool which is great for safety, and to ensure that you can enjoy the adult pool without being splashed.
The supermarket on the site is brilliant for all of the essentials and is reasonably priced. The rooms are clean, and there is a regular towel change, which is important.
Lonely Planet Canary Islands Book, on Amazon
Some of the extras are expensive, and can begin to add up over the week – the TV package, washing machines and WiFi all cost extra. The hotel is quite difficult to navigate around, and there are not enough signs. There is no air conditioning, which in the summer months can prove a problem for sleeping. Getting to the hotel from the beaches is a long walk – all 700 steps can take a long time, and can become a chore so you will need to spend a few euros on a taxi to get to and from the beach. If that doesn’t bother you, this might be one of the best budget hotels in Gran Canaria to suit your needs.
The Sunsuites are a stone’s throw from the shops, bars and restaurants in Puerto Rico and are perfect as a base for your holiday. You’ll be a brisk walk away from the local beach, and a short taxi journey to the beautiful Amadores beach. The complex is clean and modern with spacious apartments offering great amenities. The kitchen has everything you need including a coffee machine, juice maker and complimentary washing-up liquid.
In the Surrounding Area
The shopping center is a short walk away from the complex and is ideal for evening entertainment.
There are several supermarkets and shops ensuring that you can find all the essentials and holiday gifts that you need. The beach is only 800 meters from the complex and is a pleasant stroll on the flat making it perfect with small children and pushchairs.
The Sunsuites offer incredibly clean apartments, with a daily maid service that provide fresh, clean towels every day. The location is ideal if you like to be close to the bars and restaurants, and the complex facilities are basic but adequate for everyone. The people who work in the Sunsuites are very helpful and available 24 hours a day – a good bonus to consider when planning which of the budget hotels in Gran Canaria is best for your requirements.
The noise can be an issue and in the summer months the commercial center can create a lot of noise until the early hours so you need to know this if you like to be in bed early instead of out partying most of the night, or if you’re a light sleeper. There are no baths in the rooms, which is a problem with smaller children needing to wash the sand off. You have to pay extra for air conditioning. The entertainment isn’t that great and does become repetitive if you are staying for longer than a week.
Walkirias is situated in the heart of the bustling resort of Playa del Ingles and offers an excellent location from which you can explore. You’ll be near the beach, shops, bars and restaurants, ensuring you do not miss anything. The apartments are spacious and have everything that you need for your stay. The rooms have a TV, telephone, separate bedroom, fully-equipped kitchen and large balcony.
Near the Complex
Where the Walkirias is located you are close to everything, which is perfect if you enjoy getting out and about exploring. The Yumbo, which is largest and most popular center, is very close by and offers a vast array of different venues. Outside of the centers you will find many bars and restaurants offering local cuisine at affordable prices.
The location is just perfect and will ensure that you are close to all of the action regardless of what you are searching for whilst on holiday. There is a 24 hour reception in the complex, so if you have any issues they are dealt with quickly. The heated pool with hydro-massage is lovely for the lazy days staying in the complex.
The complex can be noisy during peak times due to the location although closing the windows will help with the noise. The beds and bedding are very cheap, and not the most comfortable. The pool bar tends to open infrequently, which can be a problem if staying around the pool. The mini golf course needs updating, painting and maintaining as it is very run down, and also some of the areas around the complex need attention.
Recommended Day Trip – El Pajar Beach
Wherever you are staying in the South of Gran Canaria – Playa del Ingles, Mogan, Puerto Rico or elsewhere, it is worth exploring the area and seeing some local color. El Pajar is a small Canarian village situated just outside Arguineguin and offers a relaxing pace of life. It is lovely and well worth a visit. With the money you save by choosing one of the best budget hotels in Gran Canaria you can enjoy lunch and dinner out at El Pajar and have a great day, perhaps get some souvenirs as well.
This small area has many residents who all enjoy the quiet beach, bars and restaurants. El Pajar can be easily accessed, although during fiestas and at the weekend you may struggle to park.
What is There to Do?
The beach front dominates this area and this is where you will find all of the locals, although very few tourists. The beach is considered to be one of the few remaining natural beaches on the island. There are very few facilities and amenities along the beach but is ideal for sunbathing and swimming.
There are kayaks to hire for 10 euros a day, which is very reasonable, and you are allowed to bring your own jet skis and inflatables. This beach is perfect for families and small children as it is flat and the tide is not strong.
Restaurant Bar Playa
There is one main restaurant along the beach in El Pajar, which is owned and run by a local family. Bar Playa has been in this location for many years and excels at fresh seafood and local dishes.
The tapas served in this restaurant are all excellent and surprisingly affordable, much more so than what you are charged in the touristy areas anyway.
The service and decor in Bar Playa are basic, and you should not expect too much from the experience. However, the food is fantastic and at weekends there are very few tables available.
Further down the beach there is a small bar that offers beer and soft drinks at a bargain price. You can also find snacks and ice creams in this bar, but it is more for drinks than food really.
There are a couple of tables at the bar, but if you ask they will provide plastic cups you can take to the beach. People visiting El Pajar beach pop back and forth to this bar throughout the day to top their glasses up and grab a snack.
Some More Hot Content For You
- History of WontonsEveryone loves wontons! So what is the history of wontons and how did they come about, get so popular and make their way all over the globe into all of our hearts? Well, wontons originated in North China. They used to be sealed stuffed buns and were named ‘huidun’ which means chaos. The name was later changed to ‘wonton’ to suit the Chinese writing characters. Today the word wonton is understood all over the globe, and new varieties and flavors are coming out all the time. Flour wonton wrappers are stuffed, and then boiled, steamed or fried. They are very similar to Chinese dumplings, although wontons are made with .....
- Lancashire Hotpot with BeefThis Lancashire hotpot with beef is a wonderfully warming dinner, and it is so easy to make. Beef (or lamb) and potatoes come together with a red wine based sauce to make this hearty dish. Served with peas or another green vegetable, this makes the perfect cold weather dinner for the whole family to enjoy. Lancashire hotpot with beef leftovers warm up nicely for lunch the next day. As well as the beef and potatoes, we are using carrots (if you like) along with onion, beef stock, red wine, and some thyme to add a nice earthy, herby flavor. This is a good recipe for the cooler months when you crave something that is really going to .....
- Interesting Things about Stuffed SquidI love seafood, especially stuffed squid. I was born in England but have lived in various places including the Canary Islands and Spain, which is how I picked up many tips about cooking stuffed squid and other seafood and how I developed my love of squid, octopus and every delightful treat from the sea! Like many people, I was nervous about cooking squid because I was worried about it turning rubbery, but with the right recipe and the correct cooking time/temperature that is not a concern, and if my squid is not tender then I know it just needs more time. Yes, being a fan of stuffed squid means knowing how to cook it properly. When a sharp .....
- Pet ID Tags for Dogs and CatsIf your pet ever gets lost then having an ID tag is an absolute must, so you can be reunited quickly and relatively easy. The longer a pet is missing the more that can go wrong, and let’s face it, our pets are so precious. They are like members of the family, so consider pet ID tags as a must-have. A lost animal might not be able to find his or her way home, so invest in one of these tags (many cost under $5, even the personalized engraved ones) and if anything does happen, whoever finds your pet will know how to contact you to let you know they found your dog or cat. Some More Hot Content For You Easy Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers .....
- How to Steam ChickenAfter you have discovered just how delicious your steamed ground beef wontons are, you might like to try steaming something else. Learn how to steam chicken and discover a brand new way of making it. After all, your steamer is a very handy piece of apparatus. So how about steaming a chicken? This is very healthy since you don’t need to add fat, and the water (the steam) keeps the meat moist and juicy. Cook small birds, like the Cornish hen, whole or larger ones in pieces, maybe just the breast or even quarters if you have a larger steamer. If you do not have an electric steamer, you can use a bamboo steamer or metal rack above a pan of .....
- Quick Mackerel Pate RecipeIf you are in a hurry it’s good to know that you can make this quick mackerel pate recipe in a matter of minutes. Smoked mackerel fillets are used for this pate as well as soft cheese, onions, lemon and tabasco. Serve this pate with melba toast or crackers and perhaps some grapes or basil leaves for garnish. Homemade is Always Best Buying pate from the shop is easy but homemade pate is always in a league of its own. In fact there is no comparison between the two. If you want to make a nice starter recipe for a dinner party then consider mackerel paté and you will be very tempted. Soft cheese, spring onions and lemon work harmoniously .....
- How to Make Caramelized CarrotsLearn how to make caramelized carrots because this winning side dish goes with everything. This very easy recipe makes a lovely side dish. Carrots offer a natural sweetness but adding butter and a little sugar to the carrots gives them a wonderful crunchy glaze. Pair these with meat or poultry, adding some mashed potatoes too, for a great dish. I like to peel and chop mine into fat matchsticks but it’s up to you whether or not to peel, and also whether to cut them into slices, chunks or strips. The thinner they are cut the less time they will take to cook. How to Make Caramelized Carrots: Honey or Sugar I have made this recipe before .....
- Yummy 3 Minute Ice Coffee RecipeI have always loved ice coffee but find it prohibitively expensive in the coffee shops. There are plenty of ice coffee recipes online but many are too time-consuming to bother with, advising you to brew the coffee for 18 hours with mint leaves or add an array of ingredients which you probably don’t already have. That was my inspiration behind this 3 minute ice coffee recipe. The following recipe is for a basic ice coffee but of course you can jazz it up however you wish, adding syrups, sprinkles and cream on top, a shot of liqueur or whatever tickles your taste buds today. Flavored Syrups for this 3 Minute Ice Coffee Recipe I have a .....
- Chinese Recipes with PorkChinese roast pork, roast belly of pork, BBQ spare ribs, pork meatballs, sweet and sour pork… these are just some of the famous Chinese recipes with pork we know and love in the West. Once you grind or mince the pork, you can use it to make a pork wontons recipe, but pork is often chopped or shredded or even served whole in other classic Chinese dishes. Because pork is so common in China, the Chinese word for pork (‘yuk’ in Cantonese or ‘rou’ in Mandarin) is meat. Different recipes require different cuts of pork, depending on the cooking method and other ingredients in the dish. Chinese Recipes with Pork: Red-Cooked .....
- Standard Kitchen Cabinet DimensionsWhen planning a new kitchen or renovating your existing kitchen, there are various things that you need to know if you are going to do the work yourself, especially standard kitchen cabinet dimensions. “What are the standard kitchen cabinet dimensions” is a very common question to ask and you will need to know the answer so you can plan what to buy and also so you can plan what is going to go where and what exactly you are going to have in there. If space is at a premium you might be limited in the amount of drawers, cabinets and workspace you are able to get. Now, standard kitchen cabinet dimensions: base kitchen cabinets are 24 .....