A Guide to Seattle, Washington
Seattle, Washington is not the capital of Washington state, but it sure is worth a visit and a guide to Seattle, Washington is a handy thing to have. Many people think of Washington as a dreary, rainy place and being the birthplace of grunge music didn’t really help its image much. Seattle can be gloomy in the winter, but spring, summer, and fall are beautiful times to visit and see what the Emerald City has to offer.
Spring in Seattle is a fun time in this guide to Seattle, Washington, because everyone is starting to come out of hibernation. One of the great ways to do that is to go visit the Moisture Festival, which is a local comedy and variety show that runs for four weeks every spring. The festival is a wonderful way to kickstart the spring and summer festival rounds since its one of the first big events of the year.
If you’re in for a little drive another great spring event about an hour north of downtown Seattle is the Tulip Festival in La Conner. People come from all over to see the fields upon fields of tulips and take photos.
The Wonderful Waterfront
If you aren’t much for driving and want to see some natural sights right in the heart of Seattle you can take a stroll along the Seattle waterfront. There is a ferry terminal, an aquarium, and plenty of restaurants to grab a bite at on your way to do some sightseeing.
A unique way to sightsee in Seattle is to ride “The Duck” an amphibious tour vehicle that gives people a view of the city from both land and sea. Spring is a wonderful time to take advantage of a Duck Tour because the busy summer season can be a hard time to snag a tour spot.
Summer in Seattle
Summer in Seattle is a wonderful time to check out some of the more hidden favorites of locals and visitors alike. A great example of this would be the Fremont Troll located under an overpass in Seattle’s Fremont district. This weird, one eyed statue was created in 1990 and is still a favorite backdrop for photos to this day.
If you need a place to relax and get away from the crowds during the summertime, there is a rooftop garden in the 4th and Madison building downtown. It’s a nice spot to take a break between sights
Relatively new to town is the Seattle Great Wheel. Located right on a pier with a sweeping view of Elliott Bay, this ferris wheel is a great way to take advantage of a cloudless summer sky and see one of Seattle’s beautiful sunsets. The wheel brings whimsy to the waterfront and is great for the summertime considering its an outdoor activity.
Another outdoor location to consider is Gasworks Park. The remnants of an old gas plant, Gasworks Park is an industrial wonderland right on the edge of Lake Union in Seattle’s Wallingford district. Walking around and looking at the old gas plant equipment is something everyone who visits Seattle should do. There are a couple small hills there too and if you walk to the top of them you get a nice view of the lake. Gasworks Park is also the site where many people gather for Seattle’s big Fourth of July Fireworks show.
Seattle City Guide Book, on Amazon
Seattle and Coffee
Last but not least is fall in Seattle. Fall is the best time to visit in my opinion because with the leaves changing and coffee shops on every corner Seattle becomes cozy and inviting. As the birthplace of Starbucks, the city takes coffee very seriously.
If you are not in a hurry the 1st and Pike Starbucks is located right downtown and is rumored to be the first Starbucks location. This is actually not true, but since the real first Starbucks doesn’t exist anymore the 1st and Pike location is a vintage inspired homage. It’s a very popular location since it’s directly across the street from Pike Place Market, but if you’re willing to brave the lines it is a neat experience.
No guide to Seattle, Washington, would be complete without mentioning sport of course. Fall also means football and Seattle fans are another breed.
The 12s as they’re called take over the town most weekends and you can’t go anywhere without seeing a sea of blue and green shirts and other gear.
If you aren’t a sports fan, but love nature the salmon spawn in the fall and there are plenty of waterways to visit to see this happen.
Cedar River is a great location to watch the salmon and there is plenty of hiking in the area as well so you can make a day or weekend trip of it.
Seahawks Sweater, on Amazon
Pike Place Market
You can’t talk about Seattle without talking about Pike Place Market. Any guide to Seattle, Washington worth its salt will explain a little about this market. Pike Place is a bustling and beautiful market where you can buy flowers, food, and trinkets made by local artists.
One of the main attractions at Pike Place is the seafood market where employees can be seen throwing fish to entertain both tourists and locals.
While near the market there a couple neat sights to see. The gum wall is an odd attraction in an alley near the market and each day people flock there to take pictures and stick a piece of their own chewing gum to the wall.
Delicious Dining Options
That same alley is also home to The Pink Door. The Pink Door is an Italian restaurant that doesn’t just serve you food. They also serve a show with dinner and each night. It’s not uncommon to see a burlesque show, hear opera, or share space with a trapeze artist at this restaurant.
If you’re looking for more casual dining don’t look any further than Dick’s Drive In. There are several locations throughout the city and each resembles a vintage burger joint. Serving burgers, fries, and shakes are what Dick’s does and they do it well.
Another plus about Dick’s is that they are open late. Since they don’t close until 2 in the morning many people choose a Dick’s burger as an after concert meal on a Saturday night.
Seattle has a little bit of something for everybody, whether you like burgers and burlesque or just want to check out the scenery in a new place there is an activity or sight for you.
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Cook Fresh MusselsLearn how to cook fresh mussels and you will be able to prepare this delicious seafood whenever you’re in the mood. Mussels can be purchased or you can pick your own, depending of course where you live. If you are collecting your own then ensure the water is unpolluted. Mussels are nicer during the colder months which are not in the breeding season. If you are shopping for them, then shop around and choose ones with tightly closed shells. When cooked, you will want juicy, plump flesh and the taste of the sea. Mussels are white if male and orange if female, so color does not indicate freshness. Knowing how to cook fresh mussels means .....
- Types of ShowersShowers have become popular additions to bathrooms all over the world as more people become aware of saving water. Another reason for having a shower fitted is to save space, and for many people this is vital. You can choose between a variety of different types of showers to suit your needs and budget. Before rushing out to purchase a new shower, you will need to consider several different elements, which will determine the style of shower that you choose. You will need to think about the amount of people in the household, and your current heating system. The right shower should cater to all your needs and suit you perfectly. Choosing a .....
- How to Make Vegetable QuicheFew things are as delicious as a good vegetarian quiche, and learning how to make vegetable quiche is something that any home cook can do with ease. You can include as few or as many veggies as you like, and choose from various types of crusts and fillings, to make your vegetarian quiche recipe perfect for your palate. Once you discover how to make quiche you will want to experiment with diverse crusts and fillings. Not only will you love the resulting quiche but your family are sure to love it too. Quiche is a healthy option, boasting the protein from eggs, the nutrients in the veggies, and it is also really filling and will keep you .....
- French Manicure VideosA lot of girls have trouble applying a professional looking French manicure This is understandable because not only do you have to pick out the best French manicure nail polishes but you also have to get your nails the right shape, apply the white tip evenly and professionally, and get the result looking beautiful. French manicure videos are very important because you will want the prettiest result! The smallest error is glaringly obvious when painting your nails French manicure colors. So it pays to familiarize yourself with French manicure videos, as well as practicing a lot. What is a French Manicure? To paint a French manicure you need .....
- Best Braised Lamb Shanks in Red WineLamb shanks are a wonderful thing to serve on a cold day, so as fall arrives and winter rolls in, stock up on these meaty treats and you can braise them to make the most delicious meals. Braising means slow-cooking in liquid, and you can choose from beer, wine or other liquids. There is plenty of meat on a lamb shank and the flavor is phenomenal. I especially love this braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe because the flavors are so amazing. So Much Appeal in this Dish Lamb shanks smell incredible while they cook and the flavor will drive you half-crazy with anticipation! The following braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe is easy to make .....
- How to Give Your Wontons an International FlairJust because wontons are Chinese in origin does not mean you have to stick with the tried and tested Chinese wonton recipes. International wontons are an exercise in experimentation and sometimes this fusion really works! Of course, traditional wonton soup is delicious and Chinese-style fried wontons offer a flavor experience that most people enjoy very much, but you might like to experiment with a different take on the classic wonton recipe. Since wonton skins are made with egg, flour and water, they do not have a lot of flavor. This means you can use any kind of filling and rest assured it will complement the wonton skin flavor. For .....
- How to Microwave VegetablesThe best thing about using a microwave to cook your vegetables is you can be assured of great results every time. If you boil or roast them you might leave them in there too long and end up overdoing them and, let’s face it, what’s worst than soggy overcooked veggies? Learn how to microwave vegetables and you have a new speedy way of cooking them. A microwave cooks vegetables by producing electromagnetic waves which force polarized water molecules to oscillate. This makes the temperature increase. Plant foods, namely fruit and veggies, have more water in them than, for example, meat, making them ideal candidates for the microwave because .....
- What is Tofu Exactly?Tofu is an ingredient which is made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into blocks. It is used in various East and Southeast Asian cuisines. Tofu can be fresh or processed, and its subtle flavor suits a variety of savory and sweet recipes. It is often marinated or seasoned before use. If you’re wondering what is tofu exactly, you might also be interested in its history. Tofu dates back nearly 2000 years to ancient China and during the Nara period its production technique was introduced into Korea and Japan. Tofu is low in calories, featuring a lot of protein but not much fat. It is also high in iron and .....
- Japanese Chicken CrackslawCrackslaw is usually made with Chinese ingredients but add some Teriyaki sauce and you get a sweeter result which also has a distinct Japanese flair. Whether you are counting your carbs or simply looking for something really tasty, this Japanese chicken crackslaw recipe is a real winner. Perhaps you have made the classic crack slaw recipe before and you wonder what a similar dish but made with slightly different flavors would taste like, in which case try this recipe for a change of pace. You may use canned or fresh chicken. It should be cooked before adding it to the recipe, so this is a great dish to make if you have leftover chicken to .....
- Creamy Mushroom StroganoffThis creamy mushroom stroganoff recipe is so good. Combining mushrooms with onion and celery, this nutrient-rich dish is flavored with mixed herbs, basil and stock. You can use chicken or vegetable stock, as you wish. A little parsley and some sour cream is all you need to add to this mixture to finish it off well, perfecting both the flavor and texture of the dish. You might be more familiar with beef stroganoff but this exciting creamy mushroom stroganoff dish is also nice when you use an earthy vegetable to make it and mushrooms are idea. Celery also goes well in this. You can use full-fat or reduced-fat sour cream or crème fraîche to .....