A Guide to Seattle, Washington
Seattle, Washington is not the capital of Washington state, but it sure is worth a visit and a guide to Seattle, Washington is a handy thing to have. Many people think of Washington as a dreary, rainy place and being the birthplace of grunge music didn’t really help its image much. Seattle can be gloomy in the winter, but spring, summer, and fall are beautiful times to visit and see what the Emerald City has to offer.
Spring in Seattle is a fun time in this guide to Seattle, Washington, because everyone is starting to come out of hibernation. One of the great ways to do that is to go visit the Moisture Festival, which is a local comedy and variety show that runs for four weeks every spring. The festival is a wonderful way to kickstart the spring and summer festival rounds since its one of the first big events of the year.
If you’re in for a little drive another great spring event about an hour north of downtown Seattle is the Tulip Festival in La Conner. People come from all over to see the fields upon fields of tulips and take photos.
The Wonderful Waterfront
If you aren’t much for driving and want to see some natural sights right in the heart of Seattle you can take a stroll along the Seattle waterfront. There is a ferry terminal, an aquarium, and plenty of restaurants to grab a bite at on your way to do some sightseeing.
A unique way to sightsee in Seattle is to ride “The Duck” an amphibious tour vehicle that gives people a view of the city from both land and sea. Spring is a wonderful time to take advantage of a Duck Tour because the busy summer season can be a hard time to snag a tour spot.
Summer in Seattle
Summer in Seattle is a wonderful time to check out some of the more hidden favorites of locals and visitors alike. A great example of this would be the Fremont Troll located under an overpass in Seattle’s Fremont district. This weird, one eyed statue was created in 1990 and is still a favorite backdrop for photos to this day.
If you need a place to relax and get away from the crowds during the summertime, there is a rooftop garden in the 4th and Madison building downtown. It’s a nice spot to take a break between sights
Relatively new to town is the Seattle Great Wheel. Located right on a pier with a sweeping view of Elliott Bay, this ferris wheel is a great way to take advantage of a cloudless summer sky and see one of Seattle’s beautiful sunsets. The wheel brings whimsy to the waterfront and is great for the summertime considering its an outdoor activity.
Another outdoor location to consider is Gasworks Park. The remnants of an old gas plant, Gasworks Park is an industrial wonderland right on the edge of Lake Union in Seattle’s Wallingford district. Walking around and looking at the old gas plant equipment is something everyone who visits Seattle should do. There are a couple small hills there too and if you walk to the top of them you get a nice view of the lake. Gasworks Park is also the site where many people gather for Seattle’s big Fourth of July Fireworks show.
Seattle City Guide Book, on Amazon
Seattle and Coffee
Last but not least is fall in Seattle. Fall is the best time to visit in my opinion because with the leaves changing and coffee shops on every corner Seattle becomes cozy and inviting. As the birthplace of Starbucks, the city takes coffee very seriously.
If you are not in a hurry the 1st and Pike Starbucks is located right downtown and is rumored to be the first Starbucks location. This is actually not true, but since the real first Starbucks doesn’t exist anymore the 1st and Pike location is a vintage inspired homage. It’s a very popular location since it’s directly across the street from Pike Place Market, but if you’re willing to brave the lines it is a neat experience.
No guide to Seattle, Washington, would be complete without mentioning sport of course. Fall also means football and Seattle fans are another breed.
The 12s as they’re called take over the town most weekends and you can’t go anywhere without seeing a sea of blue and green shirts and other gear.
If you aren’t a sports fan, but love nature the salmon spawn in the fall and there are plenty of waterways to visit to see this happen.
Cedar River is a great location to watch the salmon and there is plenty of hiking in the area as well so you can make a day or weekend trip of it.
Seahawks Sweater, on Amazon
Pike Place Market
You can’t talk about Seattle without talking about Pike Place Market. Any guide to Seattle, Washington worth its salt will explain a little about this market. Pike Place is a bustling and beautiful market where you can buy flowers, food, and trinkets made by local artists.
One of the main attractions at Pike Place is the seafood market where employees can be seen throwing fish to entertain both tourists and locals.
While near the market there a couple neat sights to see. The gum wall is an odd attraction in an alley near the market and each day people flock there to take pictures and stick a piece of their own chewing gum to the wall.
Delicious Dining Options
That same alley is also home to The Pink Door. The Pink Door is an Italian restaurant that doesn’t just serve you food. They also serve a show with dinner and each night. It’s not uncommon to see a burlesque show, hear opera, or share space with a trapeze artist at this restaurant.
If you’re looking for more casual dining don’t look any further than Dick’s Drive In. There are several locations throughout the city and each resembles a vintage burger joint. Serving burgers, fries, and shakes are what Dick’s does and they do it well.
Another plus about Dick’s is that they are open late. Since they don’t close until 2 in the morning many people choose a Dick’s burger as an after concert meal on a Saturday night.
Seattle has a little bit of something for everybody, whether you like burgers and burlesque or just want to check out the scenery in a new place there is an activity or sight for you.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....
- Cheese Baked OmeletThere are lots of egg recipes to choose from if you want to enjoy eggs for breakfast, and this delicious, filling ingredient can be prepared in various ways. This cheese baked omelet is just one of your options. Boiled, scrambled or fried eggs are always good, or you can make an omelet, either conventionally on the stove, or, if your stove is crowded with other breakfast delights such as bacon, sausage and mushrooms being fried, you can make an omelet in the oven. Keep things easy using just eggs, milk or cream and a little onion to give the omelet some crunch. You can also add extra vegetables like bell pepper, mushrooms or even some .....
- Risotto Stuffed SquidThis Italian-inspired risotto stuffed squid recipe makes a delicious dinner and it is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Calamari is often battered and deep-fried but in this recipe it is stuffed with tasty risotto and cooked on the grill or griddle, then served in slices for a beautiful presentation. What Kind of Squid to Use for Risotto Stuffed Squid You can use whatever size squid you like. Use smallish ones (the width of your palm) and each person can eat 2 or even 3, or use larger ones and 1 per person should be sufficient. The size of the squid affects the cooking time (bigger squid take longer to become tender) but not the .....
- Choosing the Best Oven to BuyThere are different kinds of ovens on the market but which is the best oven to buy? A single stove or range with a cooking top on top and an oven underneath is space conserving and affordable and found in most houses. However, if you are looking for a new oven, there are a few other options available. Some people who like to cook have stoves with up to eight burners instead of four, grilling and basting functions and built in warmers. Is this the best oven to buy? Well it depends on your requirements. Other people like modular cook-tops which let you add downdrafts, burners, griddles, steamer and deep frying units, rotisseries, broilers and .....
- School Backpacks for GirlsSchool backpacks for girls come in a huge array of different styles, colors and designs, which will ensure that you can choose a style that your little girl will love. There are several different elements that you need to consider before purchasing the backpack. These include the durability, price, style and versatility of the backpack. The age of your child will often determine the size of backpack that you need to choose, as older children will need larger bags to carry books and materials. You will be amazed at the amount of equipment which your child will need for school. However, you should not expect your child to lift a backpack that .....
- How to Make Satay Sauce in 2 Minutes Using 3 IngredientsYou only need 3 ingredients to make the best satay sauce recipe. It is so easy! Learn how to make satay sauce and you will want to make this often. Satay sauce can be served with chicken or beef kabobs or fries, or you can serve this easy peanut sauce recipe as a dip for pretty much anything. If you’re making some kind of fried rice dish like egg fried rice or nasi goreng, microwave this for 45 seconds or until hot then let it cool for a minute (so it thickens back up) and it will be an amazing accompaniment. How to Make It Like a Pro When you know how to make satay sauce, you will want to perfect this skill. The key to making it is to .....
- Sparkly Swarovski Cat CollarsSwarovski crystals are beautiful and if you are looking for an extra special collar for your feline friend then why not buy Swarovski cat collars? Costing less than you might imagine, these lovely collars will look gorgeous on your cat. I have tried a few different ones, although my favorite is the simple 10-diamonds on velvet style. My cat Cleo is black with flashes of gray in her fur, so I usually go with a bright color like pink or red. She’s 9 so she has had a few collars and she had her current one for a couple of years so far. Choosing Swarovski cat collars is not difficult. Just pick out something which you like and make sure .....
- Beautiful Large Opal RingsOpals are a magical stone and no other stone looks like them. The fire in an opal is truly amazing and setting an opal on a silver or gold ring showcases the stone’s beauty to perfection. I love large opal rings and can’t get enough of their gorgeous fire. Do you already have an opal ring or are you just curious about the different types of opals or the different opal ring settings you can choose from? Because, really, there are lots of large opal rings to choose from, and you are going to be spoilt for choice. I was, when I was shopping for mine. I have gathered together lots of different opal rings all in one place so you can .....
- Best Vertigo Treatment to Stop the Room SpinningFirst things first, what is vertigo? To sum up, it is a dizzy feeling. If you have it, the room will seem to be spinning or moving. It can be linked to inner ear or eyesight disorders and the only way to get rid of it is to find the best vertigo treatment. Dizziness is something most of us experience now and then but vertigo is a feeling of spinning or tilting, a persistent sense of motion which you feel when there is nothing moving. How Does It Feel? Nausea, vomiting and/or sweating can accompany it, and in severe cases you can’t even walk down the street in a straight line because it feels like everything is moving or tilting. It .....
- iPhone Airbags – Fact or Fallacy?Have you heard about these useful little things which attach to the cell and open out in the case of a fall? Although iPhone airbags are still a concept rather than a reality, if these can be concealed and not add bulk to the handset this could well become a reality soon. One drop on a hard floor can crack your screen or break it altogether, so this concept might not be as far-out as it sounds when you consider it like that. Now are iPhone airbags making a little more sense? This continues to be one of the most popular cells on the market, and with the latest apps and accessories, it is no surprise that it remains one of the market leaders. .....