Appetizer and Starter Articles
It’s interesting to learn about the evolution of starter recipes. Starters, or appetizers as they are also known, are served in most cuisines and cultures. These snacks were served in ancient Persia thousands of years ago and ancient Roman aristocracy used to enjoy eggs, fruit and similar treats before eating their main course.
Appetizers have been served for many years in the UK as a snack before the main course arrived but modern ones can be quite different from old fashioned ones.
Of course, you can still serve traditional recipes but it is also fun to experiment with the wide range of ingredients that are available today but that our grandmothers wouldn’t have had access to.
Evolution of Starter Recipes: Easy Finger Food
Recipes for finger food are very useful, especially if you are having a buffet or a cocktail party and people are going to be eating on the move. Unless people are able to sit down, finger food is necessary. Juggling plates, cutlery, cigarettes, purses and drinks is not much fun and serving good finger food simplifies this process. Continue reading
1. Homemade Recipes Taste So Good
If you compare some thawed out, reheated starters from the supermarket to something you have made yourself from scratch, from the best ingredients, which do you think will taste better? There is no contest. You will have plenty of time to make excellent homemade recipes if you plan the event in plenty of time, organise yourself properly and follow the best recipes.
2. Make Ahead Starters Save Time and Stress
If you plan your homemade recipes ahead of time, you can make them before you need them, avoiding the need to be in the kitchen panicking about things at the last minute. Some make ahead ones can be made well in advance and frozen. Others can be made a few hours before the event. This can free up some of your time just before the meal and if you are catering for a lot of people it will be vital to make some dishes in advance, and you wouldn’t have time to prepare everything all at once. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
There are simple snacks and there are complicated ones. You have probably made appetizer recipes before, or snacks for parties. If you’re totally new to cooking maybe you are worried about making your own, but there is really no need because they are so easy. Sticking cocktail sticks into cubes of cheese counts as making a starter, as does opening a jar of olives and putting them into a dish. Of course these aren’t the most impressive dishes you could come up with!
There are appetizer recipes and snacks for every occasion, whether you are catering for a party, a buffet, a sporting event, a coffee morning or something else. Some take less than a minute to make and others are just as fiddly as an elaborate main course.
Simple appetizer recipes are always an attractive prospect to the home cook. They mean you can make quick and easy food which is tasty and nice-looking. If you have a hundred people to feel, the thought of making dishes which will go down well and not take hours to put together is probably a tempting one. Continue reading
Deciding which dishes to make is not always so easy. There is no clear cut answer to that question but you narrow the possibilities down. Choose from hot or cold starters, meat, fish or vegetarian ones, something quick and easy or something impressive. Maybe you already know that two of your guests don’t like pork and it is going to be a hot evening. That can make it easier. What about a chilled chicken salad or a classic prawn cocktail?
If you are new to cooking and already nervous about making starters, a main course and a dessert, then don’t pick something complicated! You won’t be impressing anyone if it goes wrong. Choose a classic recipe like homemade pate, baked Camembert with redcurrant sauce or even pigs in blankets. Your guests will love the fact that you are serving a timeless classic and simple recipes like these are easy to make and will keep your stress levels down. Deciding ahead which dishes to make means you have plenty of time to gather the ingredients and prepare your delicious dishes!
You won’t want to be stuck in the kitchen all night so what about preparing some make-ahead snacks? You might need to be in the kitchen for twenty minutes before bringing out the main course but if you have the starters ready to serve, or in the oven warming up, you can sit with your guests when they arrive and enjoy some time with them before you all begin to eat. Continue reading
There are many different kinds of starter recipes, ranging from basic two or three ingredient combinations which you can put together in one minute flat, to the more elaborate and gourmet style dishes which are a mixture of many ingredients and take a long time to create.
There are different dishes for different occasions and you should always match the type of food you serve with the people who are going to be eating it and the type of occasion itself.
Old Favorites and Classic Starters
There is nothing wrong with sticking to tried and tested recipes if you aren’t sure what to make. There are many kinds of starter recipes to choose from anyway. Perhaps you would love to try an exotic fusion dish or something with an unusual fish or meat, but there are a few good reasons to make a classic dish too. Continue reading
You might already have some thoughts in your mind of which recipe you want to make, and some clever ideas for starters for your next meal or dinner party. Perhaps you fancy making a hot chicken or beef dish. What about chicken sate, mini beef rissoles or something spicy? Maybe you were thinking about making vol-au-vents or a fruity salad, in which case they are good, wholesome and classic dishes too. But what about if you are totally stuck for inspiration and starter ideas?
The best way to decide which ideas for starters to go with is to ask yourself a few questions. If you don’t already have ideas for starters, think about your abilities, your guests and your main course. You will know whether you are a total newbie, a beginner cook or a chef who can hold their own. You will have some idea about your guests, at least how many you are expecting and what kind of food they like.
Ideas for Starters: Narrow Down Your Choices
What are you making for the main course? You should decide that before considering ideas for starters. The reason is that the main course is the main event. Starters are good for giving your guests something to nibble on and starting off the evening in style but you need to decide on your main meal before planning your appetizer recipes. Continue reading
- Make Popcorn without OilPopcorn is a delicious snack but how do you make it without using oil? Actually there are various ways to make popcorn without oil, so forget the fattening microwave kind which is laden with salt and grease, and grab some plain unpopped kernels instead. They are surprisingly cheap, which is another bonus. An ounce of those contains just 1 gram of fat. You can pop these kernels yourself without needing any fat. What You Will Need to Make Popcorn without Oil Grab yourself 1/3 cup of plain kernels, a medium to large pot with a tight-fitting lid, some oven mitts or an oven glove, and some salt or another flavor to add to your finished dish. You .....
- Beef and Cheese Stuffed Bell PeppersYou will find these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers to be really filling. If you are not sure that one stuffed bell pepper is going to be sufficient for your meal, don’t worry, because it will be! I love making beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers. Sometimes I use a rice based stuffing but the beef and cheese option is also very nice. It is filling and if you are keeping an eye on your carbs then that is another reason to make these. Stuffed peppers look attractive and while some people throw the top away I like to cook it in the baking pan with the stuffed peppers and then put it back on at the end. I just like the presentation .....
- Warm Duck Breast SaladThis warm duck breast salad is one of my favorite recipes, and my husband especially loves this dish! It is really easy to make too, and a good introduction to the joys of working with duck breast. It does not take long to make. In fact you can have it ready in under half an hour, including both cooking and prep time. This warm duck breast salad is filling enough to be the main dish, but if you were looking for an appetizer duck salad then simply use this recipe to serve 4 and it will make a tasty, filling appetizer dish, or even 6 if you don’t want such large appetizer servings. Any leftover duck can always be refrigerated then used .....
- Chicken Thighs with Apricot and CuminThis easy chicken recipe is suitable for any occasion. Chicken thighs are used here, because they are more moist and succulent, not to mention more flavorful, than chicken breast, which can dry out more easily. Chicken thighs with apricot and cumin make a delicious dinner for the whole family. Why not try this recipe tonight? As well as the chicken, you will be adding garlic and onion for a nice base flavor, as well as cumin and coriander for taste, carrot and fennel for crunch and color, and of course chopped apricots for a lovely, fruity flavor. Look at the recipe and you will see how simple this is to make, so if you were looking for an .....
- Best Loaded Nachos Comfort Food StyleSo you want to make the best loaded nachos comfort food? You’ve come to the right page. Very few dishes offer as much as nachos do, and that includes the wonderful flavors combining spicy with creamy with mild, as well as textures because you have all kinds of those, ranging from soft to crunchy. Nachos can be served as a snack, appetizer or meal, and homemade nachos are, of course, the best! The following best loaded nachos comfort food recipe combines nachos with beef, homemade pico de gallo, cheese, spices, and more. But this is your recipe so you could take inspiration from the photo and use leftover roast beef instead of the .....
- Interesting Things about Stuffed SquidI love seafood, especially stuffed squid. I was born in England but have lived in various places including the Canary Islands and Spain, which is how I picked up many tips about cooking stuffed squid and other seafood and how I developed my love of squid, octopus and every delightful treat from the sea! Like many people, I was nervous about cooking squid because I was worried about it turning rubbery, but with the right recipe and the correct cooking time/temperature that is not a concern, and if my squid is not tender then I know it just needs more time. Yes, being a fan of stuffed squid means knowing how to cook it properly. When a sharp .....
- How To Make Shrimp and Mushroom Stuffed CalamariHow does shrimp and mushroom stuffed calamari sound to you? The red pepper sauce served with it is beautiful too. This recipe makes sufficient for 4 people and features shrimp, mushrooms, garlic, parsley and breadcrumbs. The sauce is made with red pepper, garlic and oil, to keep things simple. I have various stuffed calamari recipes in my repertoire but this one is always a winner and it’s great for any occasion, even a special occasion like a dinner party or special birthday meal. This is a clear, simple-to-follow video and it is a great introduction to beginner home cooks who wish to make stuffed squid for the first time. Try this .....
- Thai Stuffed Squid SoupThis Thai stuffed squid soup recipe is a favorite of mine. It is very special because of its simplicity. Although this Thai stuffed squid soup dish is rarely found on a restaurant menu you quickly and easily prepare it yourself. You need some chicken or pork bouillon, and homemade is best if possible. If you do not have homemade bouillon then make sure you use a high quality one. The filling for the squid is made with pork, soy sauce, black pepper and garlic, and you will need smallish squid for this, no more than a couple inches long. When you have stuffed the squid it is time to warm up your bouillon and then you poach the squid in there .....
- How to Stuff Calamari TubesLearning how to stuff squid is very easy, and although calamari is also nice cut into rings, breaded and deep fried, it is especially good stuffed. You can choose from a wide range of stuffed squid recipes and use whichever ingredients you happen to like. Knowing how to stuff calamari tubes is useful to know, just because there are so many great recipes for stuffed calamari out there. You can buy the bodies (tubes) already cleaned or you can clean them out yourself. I usually buy the frozen tubes because they are very cheap where we live, but if you have a whole squid you also get the lovely tentacles which are nice to use in your stuffed .....
- Dutch Slavink Recipe – Bacon Wrapped MeatballsSlavink is a Dutch meat recipe you will spot in grocery stores in the Netherlands, nestled in the pork area. These can best be described as a rectangular meatball wrapped in bacon. Go back in history and you will find a Dutch slavink recipe was originally a small songbird wrapped in bacon. In the south of Europe you can still find such a dish despite many people trying to outlaw the dish, but the modern Dutch version used ground beef and/or pork instead. In fact many of them use a half beef/half pork mixture to create a Dutch slavink recipe which is popular locally. Butchers in the Netherlands make their own slavinken, which is the Dutch .....