I think it’s fair to say Mexican food has to be one of the most misunderstood cuisines of all. People who aren’t familiar with it assume it’s all tortillas, beef and chilies, while those who eat at fast food outlets might believe those dishes are more authentic than they are. Eating authentic Mexican food in Mexico isn’t difficult but there are lots of tourist places you ought to avoid if you want to be eating the real deal.
And then you have Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex and all the other hybrids and regional variations, so it’s hardly surprising knowing what is authentic Mexican food and what is not can be confusing!
Let’s start with tacos. These are an authentic Mexican food, right? Many people are used to the bright yellow U-shaped fried kind filled with meat, copious amounts of cheese, sour cream and jalapeños, but head down south and enjoy authentic tacos.
Those are one of my favorite Mexican treats, and I love ordering mine from the taco vans on the street for a really authentic experience. Continue reading
Holland, the Netherlands… call it what you like. I have lived here for 5 years so far with my Dutch husband. Just to give you a little background I’m English but lived in the Canary Islands and mainland Spain for 11 years before moving here. This piece looks at my opinions and my thoughts on the 6 best things and 6 worst things about Holland, or the Netherlands.
Attempting a Balanced View
Now before you message me, complaining that I don’t appreciate the country I live in or finding fault with where I choose to live, know this – this article is about the good AND the bad. I offer my thoughts on the things I love and the things that drive me crazy. Your opinions and thoughts about Holland might not be the same as mine, and feel free to leave feedback in the comments. I respect everyone’s opinion. But I still like to offer my own.
When I moved here in 2010 a few things really surprised me as being very different from what I was used to. For example, when you rent an apartment here it comes with nothing at all – it’s just a cement box. Nothing on the floor, nothing on the walls… you have to buy carpet, wallpaper, everything. While that is normal to a Dutch renter it is bizarre to me. I found it strange the post office doesn’t deliver on a Monday. I found it peculiar the shops don’t open until midday on a Monday. I don’t miss the ‘siesta’ hours they had in Spain but it takes a bit of getting used to of course. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Seattle, Washington is not the capital of Washington state, but it sure is worth a visit and a guide to Seattle, Washington is a handy thing to have. Many people think of Washington as a dreary, rainy place and being the birthplace of grunge music didn’t really help its image much. Seattle can be gloomy in the winter, but spring, summer, and fall are beautiful times to visit and see what the Emerald City has to offer.
Spring in Seattle is a fun time in this guide to Seattle, Washington, because everyone is starting to come out of hibernation. One of the great ways to do that is to go visit the Moisture Festival, which is a local comedy and variety show that runs for four weeks every spring. The festival is a wonderful way to kickstart the spring and summer festival rounds since its one of the first big events of the year.
If you’re in for a little drive another great spring event about an hour north of downtown Seattle is the Tulip Festival in La Conner. People come from all over to see the fields upon fields of tulips and take photos. Continue reading
Breda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents.
Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe.
Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was based there before it closed down in 2004 and production was moved to Leuven and Bremen. If you’re into beer, visit Breda, Netherlands and enjoy trying the local varieties.
These days the main economic activities in Breda, Netherlands are trade and business. The city is connected to other main European cities by a high-speed train line.
I married a Dutchman and have been living here for a few years, so I am going to share my knowledge and tips with you! Whether you are in Breda for a day, a week, a month, or longer, there is plenty to keep you occupied. Whether you prefer shopping, eating out, walking, visiting castles or places of interest, historical landmarks, or simply wandering around enjoying the sights, Breda offers something for every tourist. I’d say about 95% of the locals speak at least some English, and many speak very good English. Most are also friendly if you need help finding your way around or if you happen to get lost. Continue reading
There are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy.
Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams. Continue reading
The Atlantic Rally for Cruisers is incredible and attracts thousands of spectators every year as it leaves Las Palmas in Gran Canaria for Rodney Bay, Santa Lucia. Every year since 1986, this amazing transatlantic rally has set sail and crossed the 2700 nautical miles of Atlantic Ocean. The event begins in November and attracts over 200 yachts from all over the world.
The ARC, as the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers has been named, is considered to be the most successful sailing event in the world and attracts amateurs as well as professionals from over 20 different countries. For many keen sailors this opportunity is a once in a lifetime dream. The yachts will cross the Atlantic Ocean from one beautiful island to another.
How Many Days is the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers?
The journey will take on average 14 to 21 days to complete, and can be an exhilarating experience depending on the weather conditions.
The race is considered to be friendly, which makes the journey far safer and more enjoyable for everyone. Every yacht that takes part in the race must have full safety equipment, including VHF radio and a life raft. Continue reading
- Mac Makeup BrushesMac makeup brushes are used by professionals all over the world and if you want to buy discount Mac makeup brushes that is completely possible. This brand is really famous and offers high quality. Brush Choices Mac makeup brushes review websites will provide you with all of the information you need to determine which brushes you want to purchase. There are several different brushes to choose, which will ensure that you can apply your makeup with ease. All of the makeup brushes are made from top quality materials, ensuring that you are buying only the best......
- Benefits of Tai ChiWhen most people think of exercise, they think of strenuous activity. Sweating it out at the gym while trying to figure out the weight machines or pounding the pavement outside isn’t the only way to exercise, though. Some exercise can be relaxing and Tai Chi is one of those. Tai Chi is not only an exercise for the body, but only for the mind. There are benefits of Tai Chi most other exercises won’t give you......
- Best Toaster Oven Under $30Buy the best toaster oven for less than $30 and be assured it will be perfect quality. Perhaps you have read some reviews of toaster ovens or maybe you are just thinking about adding one to your kitchen. Non stick cookware toasters review articles are essential to provide you with the information you need to decide if this toaster will suit your needs and budget. Toaster ovens are cheaper to run than large ones, so you can save money if you are just cooking or reheating a small amount of food. They will not overheat your kitchen the way large ovens can either, which is another benefit of the best toaster oven......
- What to Eat with Type 2 DiabetesType 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes affecting around 90 – 95 % of the 26 million children and adults with the condition in United States. Hardly surprisingly, controlling the diet is a very important part of looking after yourself. This is why knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes is so important. Also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes, it is a chronic condition where the individuals have problems regulating the blood sugar in their body. Those who have high blood sugar are either unable to produce enough insulin or are not responsive to insulin. In recent years the incidence of diabetes has increased, perhaps partly .....
- Which Starter to Serve with Your Main CourseChoosing which starter to serve alongside your main course may seem like a straightforward task; however there are several different elements that you need to consider. When you are planning your menu, you may be surprised to know that you need to choose your main course first. Once this has been selected, you can begin to build the rest of the dinner around this core dish. The main course that you choose is often considered to be the focal point of the whole meal; this means the starter will simply be there to complement the dish. There are basic guidelines and rules that are used to ensure that you do not make any mistakes whilst selecting .....
- Dairy Free Cantaloupe and Prawn StarterThis dairy free cantaloupe and prawn starter recipe is also nut free and soy free, as well as dairy free. The delicious prawn salad is served inside a cantaloupe melon, making this a very attractive starter recipe as well as a delicious one. You can either cut the cantaloupe melons into wedges and serve them with the salad or use this recipe as the centrepieces for a buffet table. This is a colorful and appetizing starter recipe. Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter: Tweaks You Can Make You don’t have to use the melon at all for this seafood starter recipe if you don’t want to and a bed of salad leaves is fine instead. Use baby spinach, .....
- 7 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh RecipesChicken thighs are a wonderful option. Not only are they cheap and easy to find, but they are also very tasty, boating plenty of flavor. You can make all kinds of delicious boneless skinless chicken thigh recipes and you are sure to adore the taste. Unlike chicken breast, which can dry out quickly, the higher fat content in chicken thighs keeps them succulent and moist. They are forgiving even if you overcook them a bit. If you spot some on sale in the grocery store, grab them because there are plenty of wonderful boneless skinless chicken thigh recipes you can rustle up using chicken thighs. You can expect a great flavor from a good chicken .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets and CountersThe kitchen is the heart of the house, so choosing kitchen cabinets and counters is something you ought to take your time doing. This room is where you make delicious meals, congregate during parties and get the family together for a relaxing dinner. But even though you might have all the best kitchen gadgets, your kitchen cabinets and kitchen counters might need replacing. Why Replace Them Anyway Perhaps your cabinets are too small or they do not match the rest of the kitchen, which is why you are choosing kitchen cabinets and counters. Before you rush out to buy new ones, there are a few things to think about. How many cabinets do you need .....
- Gourmet Gnocchi with Cherry Tomatoes and ProscuittoGnocchi makes a change from pasta or pizza but is just as Italian. So if you are in the mood for Italian food but not something too, well, obvious, consider gnocchi! This dish, which comprises potato gnocchi, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella, is also known as gnocchi alla sorrentina. Gourmet gnocchi makes such a nice dinner. It’s the perfect balance between satisfying and delicate. I like to add prosciutto to the dish but you could add serrano ham or regular ham instead (the thinly shaved kind) or else just leave it out, for a vegetarian result. You could even get creative here, adding shredded cooked chicken or similar, as a way of .....