I think it’s fair to say Mexican food has to be one of the most misunderstood cuisines of all. People who aren’t familiar with it assume it’s all tortillas, beef and chilies, while those who eat at fast food outlets might believe those dishes are more authentic than they are. Eating authentic Mexican food in Mexico isn’t difficult but there are lots of tourist places you ought to avoid if you want to be eating the real deal.
And then you have Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex and all the other hybrids and regional variations, so it’s hardly surprising knowing what is authentic Mexican food and what is not can be confusing!
Let’s start with tacos. These are an authentic Mexican food, right? Many people are used to the bright yellow U-shaped fried kind filled with meat, copious amounts of cheese, sour cream and jalapeños, but head down south and enjoy authentic tacos.
Those are one of my favorite Mexican treats, and I love ordering mine from the taco vans on the street for a really authentic experience. Continue reading
Holland, the Netherlands… call it what you like. I have lived here for 5 years so far with my Dutch husband. Just to give you a little background I’m English but lived in the Canary Islands and mainland Spain for 11 years before moving here. This piece looks at my opinions and my thoughts on the 6 best things and 6 worst things about Holland, or the Netherlands.
Attempting a Balanced View
Now before you message me, complaining that I don’t appreciate the country I live in or finding fault with where I choose to live, know this – this article is about the good AND the bad. I offer my thoughts on the things I love and the things that drive me crazy. Your opinions and thoughts about Holland might not be the same as mine, and feel free to leave feedback in the comments. I respect everyone’s opinion. But I still like to offer my own.
When I moved here in 2010 a few things really surprised me as being very different from what I was used to. For example, when you rent an apartment here it comes with nothing at all – it’s just a cement box. Nothing on the floor, nothing on the walls… you have to buy carpet, wallpaper, everything. While that is normal to a Dutch renter it is bizarre to me. I found it strange the post office doesn’t deliver on a Monday. I found it peculiar the shops don’t open until midday on a Monday. I don’t miss the ‘siesta’ hours they had in Spain but it takes a bit of getting used to of course. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Seattle, Washington is not the capital of Washington state, but it sure is worth a visit and a guide to Seattle, Washington is a handy thing to have. Many people think of Washington as a dreary, rainy place and being the birthplace of grunge music didn’t really help its image much. Seattle can be gloomy in the winter, but spring, summer, and fall are beautiful times to visit and see what the Emerald City has to offer.
Spring in Seattle is a fun time in this guide to Seattle, Washington, because everyone is starting to come out of hibernation. One of the great ways to do that is to go visit the Moisture Festival, which is a local comedy and variety show that runs for four weeks every spring. The festival is a wonderful way to kickstart the spring and summer festival rounds since its one of the first big events of the year.
If you’re in for a little drive another great spring event about an hour north of downtown Seattle is the Tulip Festival in La Conner. People come from all over to see the fields upon fields of tulips and take photos. Continue reading
Breda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents.
Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe.
Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was based there before it closed down in 2004 and production was moved to Leuven and Bremen. If you’re into beer, visit Breda, Netherlands and enjoy trying the local varieties.
These days the main economic activities in Breda, Netherlands are trade and business. The city is connected to other main European cities by a high-speed train line.
I married a Dutchman and have been living here for a few years, so I am going to share my knowledge and tips with you! Whether you are in Breda for a day, a week, a month, or longer, there is plenty to keep you occupied. Whether you prefer shopping, eating out, walking, visiting castles or places of interest, historical landmarks, or simply wandering around enjoying the sights, Breda offers something for every tourist. I’d say about 95% of the locals speak at least some English, and many speak very good English. Most are also friendly if you need help finding your way around or if you happen to get lost. Continue reading
There are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy.
Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams. Continue reading
The Atlantic Rally for Cruisers is incredible and attracts thousands of spectators every year as it leaves Las Palmas in Gran Canaria for Rodney Bay, Santa Lucia. Every year since 1986, this amazing transatlantic rally has set sail and crossed the 2700 nautical miles of Atlantic Ocean. The event begins in November and attracts over 200 yachts from all over the world.
The ARC, as the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers has been named, is considered to be the most successful sailing event in the world and attracts amateurs as well as professionals from over 20 different countries. For many keen sailors this opportunity is a once in a lifetime dream. The yachts will cross the Atlantic Ocean from one beautiful island to another.
How Many Days is the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers?
The journey will take on average 14 to 21 days to complete, and can be an exhilarating experience depending on the weather conditions.
The race is considered to be friendly, which makes the journey far safer and more enjoyable for everyone. Every yacht that takes part in the race must have full safety equipment, including VHF radio and a life raft. Continue reading
- Haramaki Belly Band ReviewHaramaki is Japanese for belly wrap (hara means belly and maki means wrap). This garment can be worn over the belly for a comforting feeling and for warmth. Although this haramaki belly band garment is new to the West, they have been worn in Japan for centuries. More Details A haramaki belly band started as something warriors would wear to cover their vital organs and then turned into a garment which keeps the stomach and kidney area warm. They come in different sizes and colors, and you can get them for men, women, expectant mothers and kids. Choose from various colors, either patterns or simple one-color designs. How to Wear a Haramaki .....
- Cauli Rice with Orange, Lime and CilantroCauliflower rice, or cauli rice as it is affectionately known, is a wonderful substitute for rice, offering a mere fraction of the calories and carbs or rice, yet offering a very similar texture and a neutral flavor. You can do so much with it and there are plenty of cauliflower rice recipes to choose from. This cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe is easy to prepare and it’s yummy! I like to use a medium or strong-flavored sauce to disguise the cauliflower flavor – not that cauliflower has much of a taste at all, but just to make it as rice-like as possible. Try Chinese rice with cauliflower instead of rice, or .....
- Sauteed Jerusalem Artichoke RecipeAlso known as sunchokes, Jerusalem artichokes should not be confused with globe artichokes. This tuber or root vegetable, also known as earth apple, sunroot or topinambour, is in the same family as the sunflower, and there is a Jerusalem artichoke recipe for every palate once you know how to cook this tuber. They are perhaps easier to find in Europe than in the United States, although the roots are often used to make inulin, which is used as a source of dietary fiber in processed food instead of other fillers such as sugar. Jerusalem artichokes are high in potassium, iron and thiamin, low in calories, and a great source of fiber. They are .....
- Ginger Roasted Pork with ThymePork tenderloin suits flavors like fruit, apple or even ginger, which is why we are using ginger in this roasted pork recipe. Along with thyme, the ginger gives the pork a really good flavor, and after the pork is cooked, we are giving it a couple of minutes under the broiler just to crisp up the top and caramelize the preserves, adding a mouthwatering sweetness and crunch. This ginger roasted pork recipe is sure not to disappoint. This is wonderful served with mashed potatoes and perhaps some roasted vegetables. You might want to arrange some chopped veggies around the pork and roast them together. Leftover pork can be served with potato .....
- Brilliant Bruschetta RecipeA bruschetta recipe is one of the best Italian appetizers. It is made by rubbing garlic over grilled bread, then adding olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Some types of bruschetta recipe might also include cured meat, cheese, tomatoes, beans, or vegetables. The best-known bruschetta recipe outside Italy features fresh tomato, garlic and onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella. So Many Bruschetta Recipe Options A great bruschetta recipe is found on Italian restaurant menus all over the world, and there are hundreds of different ways to make it, which is why restaurant bruschetta ranges from bland to wonderful, depending who is making it. Make .....
- Recipe for Squid Stuffed with Rice and HerbsThis fun video shows you how to make delicious squid stuffed with rice and it is aimed at beginners, so you can see exactly what you need, how to prepare the ingredients and how to stuff and cook your squid to perfection. Stuffed squid recipes are really easy, so long as you know what you need and how to prepare and combine the ingredients, as well as how long to cook it so your squid comes out beautifully tender. This squid stuffed with rice cooking video is easy enough for complete beginners to master so if you are worried about getting lost in technical cooking jargon then don’t, because that is not what stuffed squid is all about. .....
- iPad Mini – All You Need to KnowThe iPad Mini is causing a huge amount of attention, with people wanting to see what the next offering from Apple will bring for the dedicated fans. Everyone wants to buy a cheap iPad mini, or at least find out more about this new and exciting product. iPad vs. Mini iPad The traditional iPad has proven to be incredibly popular; however, there are some quirks that people do not like. Both the size and the price of the traditional iPad put a huge number of people off purchasing this unique gadget. However, the launch of the new mini iPad ensures that both of these issues are addressed. The new iPad mini was launched in November 2012 and offers .....
- Best Gourmet Food Gift BasketsIf you aren’t sure what to give as a gift, then a gourmet food gift basket is a wonderful idea. Giving the gift of food never gets old. Everyone loves to eat and there are gift baskets for every budget and taste. Choose from the best gourmet food gift baskets to find the perfect one for the occasion. You can get themed gift baskets, perhaps with a range of delicious cheeses and some crackers, or you might prefer something offering nuts, cookies, preserves, wine and more, so there is definitely something for everyone in there. Best Gourmet Food Gift Baskets: Some Ideas Give a gift hamper to a family, couple or individual and personalize .....
- Baked Alaska Recipe with Caramel SauceThis baked Alaska recipe with caramel sauce is one of my favorite desserts, teaming delicious, refreshing ice cream with perfect meringue. Here we are serving the baked Alaska with caramel sauce to make the dessert even more decadent. This dessert is served cold, and the meringue completely covers the ice cream inside, making it look like a big iceberg, hence the name. Although you can make individual baked Alaska desserts, we like to make one big ones, using a small ready-made chocolate sponge cake, topping that with 2 kinds of ice cream, and then adding the sweet, sticky meringue mixture. I bet you can’t wait to try this baked Alaska .....
- Friends: The Complete Series CollectionFriends is one of the most successful TV sitcoms ever and it’s won a lot of awards. If you loved Friends when it was on TV you might be thinking about buying Friends the Complete Series so you can enjoy these great episodes all over again. If you have never seen the show you don’t know what you’ve missed! If you did watch it then you’re probably smiling right now, remembering some of the classic episodes. Who Created Friends? The show was created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, and it aired on NBC from September 22, 1994 through to May 6, 2004......