There is low carb bread and there is this very low carb bread recipe. If you’ve been doing Atkins or low carbing for a while, you will have tried some of the more ‘eggy’ or ‘dense’ breads and while they are passable (just!) they aren’t exactly a good bread substitute.
Some low carbers will forgo the bread entirely, choosing to wrap their burger or sandwich in a large lettuce leaf instead and while there is nothing wrong with that, sometimes it’s nice to have something a bit chewier and more bready, even if it isn’t going to be that high-carb processed stuff you used to eat before.
There are various names for the very low carb bread recipe I am talking about – revolution rolls, cloud bread, oopsie bread, each having a slightly different recipe and preparation technique.
Here I am sharing what I found works best of all, and that’s a bread which is easy to make, uses clean ingredients (ie, not processed) and is low in carbs but offers a nice taste and chewy bread-ish texture. Continue reading
Focaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception.
How to Serve Focaccia
You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it a worthwhile accompaniment to any Italian meal.
This recipe is simple to follow. Grab some yeast, flour, salt, oil, onion, tomato and oregano to make it, and allow an hour or so time for the dough to rise. This baked Italian bread is similar to pizza dough and is often served with appetizers or tapas in Italian cuisine.
Why Focaccia Rises More
Focaccia uses more yeast than pizza dough though, so it rises more. Serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia flat bread with your appetizers, alone with aperitifs, with dips (fusion style) or alongside your Italian inspired meat or fish dish, and you’re sure to have a winner on your hands. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
A beloved Mexican and Tex-Mex food, a burrito makes a great lunch, dinner or snack. And this is the best breakfast burrito recipe I ever tried! One modern trend is all about presenting this hearty delight first thing in the morning and calling it a breakfast burrito. So you can have your breakfast all rolled up neatly burrito-style. A breakfast burrito recipe will contain typical breakfast ingredients like potatoes, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, whatever else you like. These fillings will be hot and cooked, enclosed in a soft flour tortilla.
Burritos are wrapped or folded to enclose the filling, unlike a taco which is usually folded in half around the filling. Some people like to steam or lightly grill the tortilla to softed it, so it wraps around the filling more easily. Order a regular burrito in Mexico and you can expect meat and refried beans to be your typical filling. Head north of the border into the US though and you will find a wider variety of fillings like rice, beans, lettuce, salsa, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and, where breakfast burritos are concerned, even bacon, eggs and hash browns – hey, why not!
The word burrito translates from the Spanish to mean ‘little donkey’ and it is thought the name comes from the look of the bedrolls and packs donkeys used to carry. Try this best breakfast burrito recipe when a bowl of cereal simply isn’t enough to prepare you for the day ahead. Continue reading
Pizza comes frozen or from the pizza delivery place or from your local Italian restaurant. But wait, what about the best pizza? Well that would be the kind you make yourself at home! Honest, it’s so quick and easy to make pizza yourself and you don’t even have to make the dough. This homemade pizza on French bread will have the kids (and grownups) beating down the kitchen door, it smells so good!
The quickest pizza recipe probably has to be this tortilla pizza but next up you have baguette pizza or French bread pizza, which is French bread, French stick or baguette bread (however you call it) topped with tomato sauce and pizza toppings to make the most amazing appetizer or main dish.
Why Use French Bread as a Pizza Crust
French bread makes a great pizza crust since it is naturally crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. It really is so delicious! Top with your favorite sauce and toppings and you will find just anything goes. Get as inventive as you wish with a homemade pizza on French bread.
In addition to French bread being crispo and tasty, it holds the sauce and toppings really well, so the next time you fancy Italian food but not spaghetti carbonara or traditional pizza, consider this French bread pizza recipe and rustle up something quick, easy and above all… tasty! I like shrimp on mine, or maybe tuna or another kind of seafood. I just like seafood pizza. Oh, and smoked salmon – that is good too!
French toast, also known as eggy bread, makes a great breakfast. The bread is usually dipped in beaten eggs and then pan-fried until golden brown. This recipe takes the classic French toast to the next level, however, by adding ham and cheese to the mix. This is known as a Monte Cristo sandwich, and can be pan-fried or deep-fried. Ham and cheese French toast is something kids love, and so do the grownups!
Serve ham and cheese French toast with some ketchup for breakfast, brunch or a hot snack at any time, and enjoy the wonderful flavors. This is a snack which is sure to keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal. Serve these sandwiches hot from the pan and enjoy the wonderful crispy outside and the gooey cheese inside.
What Bread for Ham and Cheese French Toast?
You can use any kind of bread for ham and cheese French toast, perhaps baguette or ciabatta, or even regular sliced bread. It is best to use day-old bread because very fresh bread is more delicate and can tear. Use ready-sliced ham and cheese to save time. Cheddar is good here, or you can use any other type of melting cheese you want. Emmental or Gruyere are really good in this Monte Cristo recipe as well. Continue reading
Being from Devon, in southwest England, it goes without saying I am fond of English scones and know a good traditional English scones recipe. Served with clotted cream and then jam on top (or jam and then clotted cream if you are from Cornwall rather than Devon), these wonderfully delicious little treats are best served with a pot of strong tea.
English Scones vs. American Scones
British scones are not the same as American ones which have more butter in the mix compared to flour than the British ones. This is why the traditional English scones recipe differs. Because butter is usually added before the cream and jam, less butter is used in the batter. The same is true about the amount of sugar. A British scone is either plain or made with raisins. I have also made savory cheese and mustard ones (and those are amazing served warm with butter on top).
A typical English cream tea is something you will find all over the country, especially in touristy areas, and you can expect to get a pot of tea with milk and sugar on the side, a freshly baked scone, some butter, clotted cream (certainly not whipped or squirty cream!) and jam. Knowing a traditional English scones recipe means you can host your own tea parties though.
Although one scone might not sound very filling, trust me – this is a calorific treat which is pretty heavy! You might think you can eat two, but not many people can! Continue reading
- Oak Kitchen Cabinet PaintingOak cabinets are beautiful but they can be tricky to paint because of the way the grain is in the wood. Oak tends to have a heavy grain and when you paint over the grain it tends to show through, even if you apply more than one coat of paint. This is what makes oak kitchen cabinet painting trickier than you might at first think. You need to even out the wood grain surface before you begin oak kitchen cabinet painting and this means you should apply wood grain filler before paint. Wood grain filler smooths the cabinets and fills in between the grains, giving a nice finish. Of course you must let your coat of wood grain filler dry properly .....
- Fruits de Mer RecipePlateau de fruits de mer is the French term for seafood platter, and this recipe comprises both cooked and raw seafood on a chilled platter, often on a bed of ice. If you order a fruits de mer recipe, you can expect shellfish along with bread, mayonnaise (preferably homemade) and condiments like cocktail sauce and mignonette sauce. The serving platter will be above table level on some kind of stand, and sometimes there are several tiers, both to make it look for elegant, and also because some of the shellfish is served on the half-shell or in the full shell, and then it takes up a lot of room. A fruits de mer recipe is traditionally served .....
- Chicken Wonton Soup with CabbageThis flavorful chicken wonton soup with cabbage also has green onions, sesame oil and more. If you are looking for an alternative to pork wonton soup recipes you might enjoy this one. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advance if you like. This flavorful chicken wonton soup recipe makes a healthy dinner or a warming lunch and you can even enjoy it as a snack in the middle of the morning of afternoon, whenever you aren’t ready for a meal but you want something more substantial than just a cup of coffee, which is not going to fill you up too much but still warm your belly and put a smile on your face. Chicken wonton soup recipes .....
- Classic Crackslaw RecipePerhaps you have read about the classic crackslaw recipe on a low carb forum or one of your friends has been raving about it but what is crack slaw and why is it called that? Well, first things first, crackslaw is supposed to be addictive, which is how the name came about, but don’t worry, there is nothing illegal in it! It is addictive in a good way because it is a filling low-carb meal packed with nutritious ingredients. What’s In a Classic Crackslaw Recipe? This is an oriental inspired recipe featuring ground meat (or poultry or a vegetarian alternative) as well as cabbage or coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot, usually). The .....
- What are Pineberries and Some Pineberry RecipesAlthough pineberries might resemble albino white strawberries they are in fact a different berry altogether. This petite, rounded fruit has white flesh and red seeds and there are some pineberry recipes you really must try. They are not as hardy as red strawberries although they do share a genetic makeup. Perhaps you have spotted some in the supermarket or market and been curious about what they are and how they might taste. What are Pineberries Exactly? This fruit, also known as chiloensis, or Puren White strawberries, is a cross between North American red strawberries and South American white strawberries. They are grown in plant form, .....
- Lamb Crackslaw with Hoisin SauceThis recipes uses leftover lamb, but you could use any leftover meat to make it. Just chop it into small pieces and then you can add it to the recipe. The vegetables add flavor and color to the dish, and you can feel free to use your favorites. I love lamb crackslaw because it’s tasty and oh so filling. If you want to swap the carrot for broccoli, for example, go ahead. This could be served with a starch on the side, but I usually just have it as it is, because it is satisfying enough like that. In fact it is really filling. This recipe is really appealing and even if you are not following a low carb diet you will love it. Hoisin sauce .....
- Starter Recipes Around the GlobeInternational dishes have taken off recently in a big way. It is not unusual at all these days to see international starter recipes on a restaurant menu or to be given them at a dinner party. This obviously applies to main courses and desserts as well as starter recipes. Chicken sate, prawn toast, Asian soup recipes, Greek dips, Spanish tapas and more are popular as well as common these days and many people even prefer international starter recipes over traditional British ones. There are more ingredients available in modern supermarkets than ever before and you can use these ingredients to make exotic recipes and fusion-style snacks. .....
- Gourmet Potato Salad with WalnutsPotato salad is always good, but what if you are in the mood for an elegant gourmet potato salad with walnuts rather than the comfort food style? The following recipe shows you how to add a gourmet twist to this all-American classic recipe, making it perfect for any special occasion. Potato salad offers not only delicious flavors but also a softness in the mouth, and it is this soft texture that we love. This gourmet potato salad with walnuts recipe features walnuts however, to add an unusual crunch to the dish. You will love how well the sherry vinegar and walnut oil combine, as well as how the other flavors work so nicely in the dish. .....
- Banana Wontons with Chocolate Dipping SauceDessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but they are even more tempting served with a hot chocolate sauce. Save time by buying a chocolate sauce or impress your dinner guests by making your own. Why We Love Sweet Wontons Dessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but .....
- Easy Marinated Chicken SkewersThis tasty chicken recipe will get your dinner off to a good start. Everyone will enjoy the flavor of these easy marinated chicken skewers regardless of the season or occasion. Don’t worry if you are new to cooking chicken because it really is easy. These kebabs are full-flavored and everyone is sure to love them. Most barbecued meats should be marinated overnight but since the chicken is chopped before you marinate it, a couple of hours in the fridge will be sufficient to infuse them with marvelous flavor. Simple Flavors Here This easy marinated chicken skewers recipe is simple and the herbs, garlic and lemon juice are the main .....