This easy appetizer recipe combines cheese wontons with homemade hot sauce. You could use store-bought hot sauce but where’s the fun in that?
Now cheese is certainly not a Chinese staple, which is why it is never seen on the menu in authentic Chinese food restaurants, but wonton skins go so well with cheese that not including a few cheese wontons recipes would be sinful! Yes these cheese wontons with homemade hot sauce do include dairy, which isn’t found in much Chinese cuisine or Asian cuisine in general, but try it and see. It works nicely.
Which Cheese to Use
This cheese wontons with homemade hot sauce recipe calls for Monterey Jack cheese, but use whichever cheese you like. A sharp Cheddar would be good. Mozzarella would give a stringy texture and soft taste. Even brie cheese could be good with this one. It is important to let these wontons cool for 10 or 15 minutes before serving them. The cheese will still be melted but it will not be molten and mouth-burning! When people eat beef wontons or pork wontons or another type of wontons when the filling is solid or tightly packed, that is one thing, but biting into a hot cheese wonton means you might get cheese dripping down your lip or chin, and that can burn. Continue reading
This grilled lettuce with goat cheese is a delicious starter recipe and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. This might be a simple recipe but it tastes really good. You might not have cooked lettuce before but it is perfect in this delicious gluten free recipe.
Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese: Uh, Cooked Lettuce – Really?
Yes, you really can cook lettuce and not end up with a watery mess in the pan. That does not apply to all lettuce though and you will need to choose something which holds its shape quite well like Little Gem or Romaine.
The lettuce just needs to be heated up and crisped on the surface touching the pan. Try cooking it too long and you will end up with a watery mess. So you might be wondering just how hard this grilled lettuce with goat cheese recipe is. Actually it’s easy! Just ensure you crisp the edges and don’t overcook! Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Camembert cheese is often featured as one of the cheeses on a cheeseboard, but there is more you can do with it. Similar to brie, this French cheese offers a ripe, creamy flavor, and it is also delicious served hot. Some people choose to fry the breaded Camembert in oil but you can also oven bake it if you want to cut the calories and fat content. Try this baked Camembert recipe for yourself to experience an amazing taste and texture.
How Many Will This Crispy Baked Camembert Recipe Serve?
This baked Camembert recipe will serve 2 if you want a filling starter or light main dish, or you can cut each cheese in half before you dip in the egg and breadcrumbs and serve each of 4 people a half-moon shaped cheese. Another idea is to cut the cheese into 4 or 6 smaller wedges and serve it that way. In the recipe we are keeping the cheeses whole though, just for visual appeal. Continue reading
Doesn’t the name of the recipe get your mouth watering already? Pears with Stilton and curd cheese – yum! Pears are often served with cheese because the flavors are so good together and in this recipe, both Stilton cheese and curd cheese are used. The yogurt and nutmeg add color, texture and flavor, and this is one of the best vegetarian starter recipes.
What is Stilton Like?
Stilton is an acquired taste to some people, especially if they are usually only found eating cheddar and the like, but it really is good. Stilton is a British blue cheese and it offers a lovely creaminess and slight salty taste. It’s particularly good in this pears with Stilton and curd cheese recipe because of the contrast.
If you can’t get it where you are, consider another kind of blue cheese. Danish blue is good but very salty, so bear that in mind if you don’t want salty. Gorgonzola is also lovely. Just choose your favorite and it is sure to go nicely with this salad. Continue reading
I love Camembert baked in its box! It’s one snack I never get tired of. Cheese makes a great starter as well as an after-dinner dessert course. This Camembert appetizer recipe is similar to a cheese fondue and you can dip anything in it, including the bread, pickled vegetables and peppers mentioned here. Raw mushrooms are good for dipping, as are raw carrots and other crudites.
Camembert Baked in its Box: Simple to Make
You can buy Camembert in a box and simply put it in the oven, which is ideal for anyone who wants a simple fuss-free starter recipe which is going to work with both the vegetarians and carnivores around the table, offering the perfect feast for every palate.
Camembert is often served at room temperature with crackers and black grapes perhaps, as a French snack, but it melts so beautifully that everyone should try this recipe at least once. Continue reading
Fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce is a traditional starter and with this recipe, you can make it from start to finish in just a few minutes. Brie is a versatile cheese and is just as good served cold in a sandwich as served fried like this. Personally I’m not keen on cold Brie but I can’t get enough of this fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce!
What is Brie Cheese?
Brie is a soft cow’s milk cheese which is widely available. It’s named after Brie, the French region where it originates from. Perhaps you have only had it cold, sliced, perhaps with French bread and grapes, but it is really good in this fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce recipe because it melts nicely.
This lovely starter recipe goes well before any kind of main dish, whether you are looking at roast chicken or beef, some kind of risotto or pasta dish, or even a stew. As long as it’s not a cheesy main course this would make a very good first course. Continue reading
- Authentic Egg Fried Rice without Soy SauceEgg fried rice without soy sauce is a dish lots of people want to make but since soy sauce is one of the key ingredients it can be puzzling working out how to get around that. Fried rice is one of the best-known Chinese dishes, but the authentic recipe is quite different to what you might be used to. For example, have you tried making egg fried rice without soy sauce? That is how it is made in China, well in many parts of the country, and the more authentic option in many cases. Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Such a Tempting Dish to Make Egg fried rice is the dish to make when you want to use leftovers to rustle up something quick and .....
- Chinese Prawn Toast RecipeChinese prawn toast, or Chinese shrimp toast, is very popular and makes a tasty hot starter. You don’t have to serve Chinese food as the main course since this Chinese prawn toast recipe goes nicely as an appetizer before a Thai main course, Indian main course or anything else you like. How Does a Chinese Prawn Toast Recipe Taste? These little appetizers often have sesame seeds on but that is not essential. The toasts should be crispy without being burned, and taste fishy without being too fishy. Prawn toasts usually feature on Chinese restaurant menus because their wonderful crunch makes them very appetizing......
- Thirst Quenching Watermelon SmoothieSmoothie recipes are always good. Whether you make one as a speedy breakfast, as a drink/snack or anytime you are thirsty but want something thick and satisfying, a smoothie recipe always comes to the rescue and there are certainly plenty to choose from. I love this watermelon smoothie recipe among others. You can blend fruit with yogurt to make a watermelon smoothie recipe, or use cream, milk or fruit juice. You can also add ice cubes to the blender (not all blenders, but the good ones!) and make your smoothie refreshingly icy cold. Watermelon Smoothie Recipe: Just 3 Simple Ingredients This watermelon smoothie recipe features watermelon, .....
- Sticky Spare Ribs with Chinese Leaves and Noodles RecipeThis tasty oriental recipe will get your dinner off to a good start. Serve these sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves and noodles and everyone is sure to enjoy the exotic Eastern flavor. Don’t worry if you haven’t cooked ribs before – they just need to roast. These ribs are sticky so if you make this starter recipe, you might want to give out finger bowls or wet flannels. In fact, you really should. How to Cook Spare Ribs Spare ribs should be crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside. There is nothing worse than overcooked meat and ‘well done’ simply does not apply to spare ribs. When they are cooked .....
- History of WontonsEveryone loves wontons! So what is the history of wontons and how did they come about, get so popular and make their way all over the globe into all of our hearts? Well, wontons originated in North China. They used to be sealed stuffed buns and were named ‘huidun’ which means chaos. The name was later changed to ‘wonton’ to suit the Chinese writing characters. Today the word wonton is understood all over the globe, and new varieties and flavors are coming out all the time. Flour wonton wrappers are stuffed, and then boiled, steamed or fried. They are very similar to Chinese dumplings, although wontons are made with .....
- Moussaka with Potatoes and EggplantI have to say this moussaka with potatoes and eggplant is one of my absolute favorite dishes. Moussaka is popular in countries of the former Ottoman empire. There are lots of regional and local variations. This dish might be made with potatoes or eggplant, or both, and usually with ground lamb too. Moussaka is eaten cold in Arabic countries, sauteed and served casserole style in Turkey, and layered and served hot in the Balkans. A lot of moussaka variations have an egg-thickened milk sauce on top, or a bechamel (flour-based) sauce. Origin of the Word Moussaka The word moussaka comes from mousakás, a Greek word, which came from the Turkish .....
- Sparkly Swarovski Cat CollarsSwarovski crystals are beautiful and if you are looking for an extra special collar for your feline friend then why not buy Swarovski cat collars? Costing less than you might imagine, these lovely collars will look gorgeous on your cat. I have tried a few different ones, although my favorite is the simple 10-diamonds on velvet style. My cat Cleo is black with flashes of gray in her fur, so I usually go with a bright color like pink or red. She’s 9 so she has had a few collars and she had her current one for a couple of years so far. Choosing Swarovski cat collars is not difficult. Just pick out something which you like and make sure .....
- Superb Summer Dessert IdeasSummer is a great time for refreshing and fruit-based desserts and other tempting, light summer dessert ideas. If you want to linger a bit longer at the dinner table and savor something sweet while you do it there are plenty of choices. Most of the time you will want to serve something to either cool people down or showcase the wonderful summer fruits available during the warm months of the year. A favorite summer dessert is ice cream. To make this common dish a little more special you can make it yourself. If you have an ice cream maker and a little bit of time you can create a special recipe for whatever you’re craving that day, thinking .....
- Greek Yogurt Avocado DipDips are always fun to make, especially if you have a food processor and can whip them up in seconds! Although sometimes a hot dip is good, such as this hot and creamy crab dip or even our tasty artichoke dip, cool and creamy dips are also good. Try our Greek yogurt avocado dip if you like cool, creamy dips for your chips or crudites. When I made this particular recipe I enjoyed it with Doritos, but you could serve this with crackers, vegetable crudites, melba toast, baguette bread slices, corn chips, potato chips, or anything else you want to dip in there. I made this in literally 3 minutes and the flavor was amazing. I wasn’t .....
- Easy Winter Appetizer IdeasMost people love to cozy up and relax during the colder months. There’s something about the winter weather that brings people together and gathering around some hearty and easy winter appetizer ideas is a great way to spend that time with friends and family. In the winter, it’s best to serve warm foods, but don’t let that overwhelm you. There are plenty of ways to present a great spread without slaving away in the kitchen for hours. You don’t have to tell anyone how easy the winter appetizer ideas were to prepare! One simple strategy for an appetizer sure to impress is to do fondue. Fondue can be easily customized to your party’s theme .....