This easy appetizer recipe combines cheese wontons with homemade hot sauce. You could use store-bought hot sauce but where’s the fun in that?
Now cheese is certainly not a Chinese staple, which is why it is never seen on the menu in authentic Chinese food restaurants, but wonton skins go so well with cheese that not including a few cheese wontons recipes would be sinful! Yes these cheese wontons with homemade hot sauce do include dairy, which isn’t found in much Chinese cuisine or Asian cuisine in general, but try it and see. It works nicely.
Which Cheese to Use
This cheese wontons with homemade hot sauce recipe calls for Monterey Jack cheese, but use whichever cheese you like. A sharp Cheddar would be good. Mozzarella would give a stringy texture and soft taste. Even brie cheese could be good with this one. It is important to let these wontons cool for 10 or 15 minutes before serving them. The cheese will still be melted but it will not be molten and mouth-burning! When people eat beef wontons or pork wontons or another type of wontons when the filling is solid or tightly packed, that is one thing, but biting into a hot cheese wonton means you might get cheese dripping down your lip or chin, and that can burn. Continue reading
This grilled lettuce with goat cheese is a delicious starter recipe and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. This might be a simple recipe but it tastes really good. You might not have cooked lettuce before but it is perfect in this delicious gluten free recipe.
Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese: Uh, Cooked Lettuce – Really?
Yes, you really can cook lettuce and not end up with a watery mess in the pan. That does not apply to all lettuce though and you will need to choose something which holds its shape quite well like Little Gem or Romaine.
The lettuce just needs to be heated up and crisped on the surface touching the pan. Try cooking it too long and you will end up with a watery mess. So you might be wondering just how hard this grilled lettuce with goat cheese recipe is. Actually it’s easy! Just ensure you crisp the edges and don’t overcook! Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Camembert cheese is often featured as one of the cheeses on a cheeseboard, but there is more you can do with it. Similar to brie, this French cheese offers a ripe, creamy flavor, and it is also delicious served hot. Some people choose to fry the breaded Camembert in oil but you can also oven bake it if you want to cut the calories and fat content. Try this baked Camembert recipe for yourself to experience an amazing taste and texture.
How Many Will This Crispy Baked Camembert Recipe Serve?
This baked Camembert recipe will serve 2 if you want a filling starter or light main dish, or you can cut each cheese in half before you dip in the egg and breadcrumbs and serve each of 4 people a half-moon shaped cheese. Another idea is to cut the cheese into 4 or 6 smaller wedges and serve it that way. In the recipe we are keeping the cheeses whole though, just for visual appeal. Continue reading
Doesn’t the name of the recipe get your mouth watering already? Pears with Stilton and curd cheese – yum! Pears are often served with cheese because the flavors are so good together and in this recipe, both Stilton cheese and curd cheese are used. The yogurt and nutmeg add color, texture and flavor, and this is one of the best vegetarian starter recipes.
What is Stilton Like?
Stilton is an acquired taste to some people, especially if they are usually only found eating cheddar and the like, but it really is good. Stilton is a British blue cheese and it offers a lovely creaminess and slight salty taste. It’s particularly good in this pears with Stilton and curd cheese recipe because of the contrast.
If you can’t get it where you are, consider another kind of blue cheese. Danish blue is good but very salty, so bear that in mind if you don’t want salty. Gorgonzola is also lovely. Just choose your favorite and it is sure to go nicely with this salad. Continue reading
I love Camembert baked in its box! It’s one snack I never get tired of. Cheese makes a great starter as well as an after-dinner dessert course. This Camembert appetizer recipe is similar to a cheese fondue and you can dip anything in it, including the bread, pickled vegetables and peppers mentioned here. Raw mushrooms are good for dipping, as are raw carrots and other crudites.
Camembert Baked in its Box: Simple to Make
You can buy Camembert in a box and simply put it in the oven, which is ideal for anyone who wants a simple fuss-free starter recipe which is going to work with both the vegetarians and carnivores around the table, offering the perfect feast for every palate.
Camembert is often served at room temperature with crackers and black grapes perhaps, as a French snack, but it melts so beautifully that everyone should try this recipe at least once. Continue reading
Fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce is a traditional starter and with this recipe, you can make it from start to finish in just a few minutes. Brie is a versatile cheese and is just as good served cold in a sandwich as served fried like this. Personally I’m not keen on cold Brie but I can’t get enough of this fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce!
What is Brie Cheese?
Brie is a soft cow’s milk cheese which is widely available. It’s named after Brie, the French region where it originates from. Perhaps you have only had it cold, sliced, perhaps with French bread and grapes, but it is really good in this fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce recipe because it melts nicely.
This lovely starter recipe goes well before any kind of main dish, whether you are looking at roast chicken or beef, some kind of risotto or pasta dish, or even a stew. As long as it’s not a cheesy main course this would make a very good first course. Continue reading
- Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad RecipeIf you fancy making a waldorf salad recipe with a twist, try this delicious version with curried chicken. A traditional waldorf salad contains just red apples, mayonnaise and celery and the walnuts came later. You can use more curry paste in this curried chicken waldorf salad recipe if you want, depending how hot you like it. An Interesting Twist Puritans might argue this curried chicken waldorf salad recipe is not actually a “waldorf salad” exactly, because there are other ingredients in the mix which never appeared in the original dish. But I prefer to say this is a twist on the classic recipe, because it features everything .....
- How to Cook Prime Rib for Juicy ResultsPrime rib is often called the king of beef cuts, and if you like your beef juicy, tender and delicious, you might like to learn more about how to cook prime rib yourself at home. Also known as a standing rib roast, prime rib is marbled with fat to keep it succulent, and it is very easy to cook too. You just need to start it in the oven on a high temperature to brown it nicely, then turn the oven down so it can finish cooking without the meat drying out. The center of your prime rib roast should be pink or red while the thinner tail-ends will be brown and more done. This is good because people get to choose if they want their meat .....
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....
- Moussaka with Potatoes and EggplantI have to say this moussaka with potatoes and eggplant is one of my absolute favorite dishes. Moussaka is popular in countries of the former Ottoman empire. There are lots of regional and local variations. This dish might be made with potatoes or eggplant, or both, and usually with ground lamb too. Moussaka is eaten cold in Arabic countries, sauteed and served casserole style in Turkey, and layered and served hot in the Balkans. A lot of moussaka variations have an egg-thickened milk sauce on top, or a bechamel (flour-based) sauce. Origin of the Word Moussaka The word moussaka comes from mousakás, a Greek word, which came from the Turkish .....
- All the Facts about Healthy Juicing RecipesIt is a fact that we are becoming more and more concerned about what we put into our bodies, the more we get to know about health issues. We are what we eat (and drink!) and we know that cooking often damages nutrients and kills healthy enzymes. This is why healthy juicing recipes are all the rage these days. However, eating raw fruit and vegetables is not always an appetizing prospect, which is one reason healthy juicing recipes are becoming so popular. Do you really want to sit down and eat a handful of raw kale, 2 apples, a raw beet and 2 carrots, or would you prefer to whiz these ingredients up and make a nutrient-rich drink which tastes .....
- Best Vertigo Treatment to Stop the Room SpinningFirst things first, what is vertigo? To sum up, it is a dizzy feeling. If you have it, the room will seem to be spinning or moving. It can be linked to inner ear or eyesight disorders and the only way to get rid of it is to find the best vertigo treatment. Dizziness is something most of us experience now and then but vertigo is a feeling of spinning or tilting, a persistent sense of motion which you feel when there is nothing moving. How Does It Feel? Nausea, vomiting and/or sweating can accompany it, and in severe cases you can’t even walk down the street in a straight line because it feels like everything is moving or tilting. It .....
- Easy Spaghetti Bolognese SauceThis easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce is so good. Once you have made it you will never want to use a jar of spaghetti sauce again! Making your own is always best and this recipe is so easy as well. Featuring ground beef and red wine for a full flavor, this easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce also includes garlic sausage or bacon, as well as garlic and mushrooms, for a gourmet flavor. In fact this easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce would be special enough to serve at a dinner party. Everyone loves Italian food and serve this over fresh spaghetti with a sprig of green basil on top for a beautiful meal. Serve a glass of Italian red wine on the side to add .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....
- Mexican Christmas Salad with a Hot TwistThis Mexican Christmas salad recipe is traditional in both Old and New Mexico, although we are adding a twist with the charred lettuce wedge. Although romaine (known as cos lettuce in some places) really comes to life on a grill, the delicate leaves do not always stand up to the temperature needed by the rest of the food on the grill, and nobody wants a wilted mess on their plate. Thanks to the blowtorch you can control how much heat you use and where it is directed. Besides, who wants to stand outside shivering over the grill on Christmas day, knee-deep in snow? Er, no thanks! How Mexican Christmas Salad is Prepared In this Mexican .....
- The Most Famous British StartersBritish food is considered by some non-Brits to be boring or stodgy. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Great British starter recipes include such delights as prawn cocktail, brown Windsor soup, cheese and tomato tartlets, homemade pate and more. Learn more about famous British starters and you will be able to rustle up all manner of delicious fare. In Wales you might find Welsh rarebit on the menu, which is basically grilled cheese on toast, but beer and Worcestershire sauce are used in the traditional recipe. Scottish food varies as widely as Scotland itself does but Scottish soups like cock-a-leekie and Scotch broth usually go .....