Salmon is a powerhouse of nutrition. This salmon in mustard cream sauce recipe is just one idea for incorporating this juicy fish into a recipe. Wild-caught salmon boasts sweetness as well as a fatty touch which balances things out beautifully for the perfect mouth-feel.
This would be beautiful with any kind of potatoes – mashed, boiled (with dill weed!) or crispy and roasted, along with your favorite green vegetable. Broccoli, zucchini (courgette) and green beans are definite contenders. Personally I love grilled green asparagus, so consider that as well.
If you want to double up on the sauce it would make a fine vegetarian dip for chips, bread or veggie crudites. If you are serving this with mashed potatoes, simply ladle some of the extra sauce over those too. We are going to broil (UK: cook under the grill) the salmon for optimum results, and you will find the other ingredients add plenty of appeal to the overall flavor. Continue reading
An indoor smoker is a wonderful buy if you want to smoke your own food but you either don’t want to do it outdoors, you don’t have a backyard, or the weather isn’t really on your side. There are different types of indoor smokers to choose from but you can get one for under $50 and the results of your indoor smoker recipes will be really impressive.
Bring all the delicious flavors of wood smoking indoors and try smoking a whole fish filet or ham. You can also smoke ribs, salmon, chicken, sausages, tofu, cheese, nuts, garlic, salt (yes, smoked salt is amazing!), Cornish hens, and much more.
No oil or fats need to be added when making indoor smoker recipes, and you don’t have to add salt or flavoring either. The food smokes in its own juices so it stays nice and moist.
Choose from many types of wood chips to get the perfect taste from your indoor smoker recipes, and consider combo-cooking, which means smoking the food first then finishing it off on the grill or oven to get it crispy. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
My husband and I had lunch at the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Cardiff last year and it was really good! I had the avocado superfood salad with smoked salmon and it really made an impression. I loved all those flavors and it looked gorgeous too. I wanted to recreate it so I came up with this Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat recipe. It’s not identical but pretty close!
What’s in It?
The Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat salad is made with avocado, beets, grains, kale, toasted seeds, and a tasty harissa and lemon dressing. On top of that you have avocado, pomegranate and poppy seeds. The following recipe is a copycat attempt, in case you wish to recreate some of this wonderful meal, but I can’t say it is totally accurate since I’m just going by what I remember.
In the restaurant you can order free-range chicken or smoked salmon on the side, or some feta cheese if you want. I am all for tweaking recipes so take the following Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat recipe and tweak it to your heart’s content. Consider adding walnuts, olives, capers, cucumber, grated carrot, baby spinach, or anything else. Consider this recipe as a starting point and lovingly make this recipe your own. Continue reading
Whip up some of these easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs and you have a quick and easy evening meal for the whole family. I use canned salmon to make these easy salmon patties but you could use tuna instead or even crab. Just ensure it is drained well before incorporating with the other ingredients. Drain the salmon in a sieve and then combine it with a beaten egg, some onion and breadcrumbs, and that is all you need to add to make easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs.
If you want to add extra ingredients though, go ahead and consider herbs, garlic, or anything else you wish to throw in there. I use a food processor to combine the ingredients.
When making hamburgers (with meat) you need to take care not to over-mix because the burgers can become tough but with canned salmon it doesn’t matter, and you will only need a few quick pulses in the food processor to combine the ingredients anyway. If you don’t have one, you can simply stir or mash the ingredients together, and the same applies if you prefer a chunkier texture in your easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs. Continue reading
This is an incredibly easy recipe and a great way to prepare salmon. Here we are adding lemon and lime juice to the fish, along with lemon and lime zest if you like. You could stick to either lemon or lime or, like I prefer to do, use some of each for a more interesting flavor in this lemon and lime salmon recipe. Add the zest too if you want, to add more citrus flavor to the salmon and also to add a decorative touch.
Last time I made this lemon and lime salmon recipe, I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over the salmon. I wasn’t sure whether my husband would like it because he hates celery and celery seed is a major ingredient in Old Bay but he did so that worked out well! I love Old Bay with crab cakes and other seafood dishes, and actually it’s great with salmon as well, especially with lemon and lime salmon.
For Lemon and Lime Salmon, Remember: Fresh is Best!
If you only have bottled lemon and lime juice, use that for the lemon and lime salmon, but honestly it pays to use the fresh stuff because it really is better, plus you can serve some lemon and lime wedges on the side too which always looks nice. Serve this with spinach, snow peas or broccoli, and perhaps some mashed potato too or a potato salad if you prefer. You might even prefer a different grain such as couscous or quinoa.
Comfort food tends to be hot, thick and tasty, and it can apply to both sweet and savory dishes. What is your favorite comfort food? Do you love winter comfort food recipes as much as I do?
Are you into burgers and fries, homemade mac and cheese, onion rings with a creamy dip, a bowl of chili, or how about apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream?
Homemade bread is wonderful, as is pizza. Winter comfort food recipes might not be the healthiest of food but balance it out by eating healthy meals at other times, and it can be part of a balanced diet.
Although American food is what many of us think of when considering comfort food recipes, other cuisines are equally good at cheering the body and soul on a chilly day or evening.
Pizza and calzone are Italian favorites, along with mac and cheese, while a hearty crockpot beef stew with European seasonings might also be just what you need, or how does a Swiss cheese fondue recipe sound?
- Authentic California CuisineCalifornia is known for its amazing food, earmarked by a tradition of fruit, fresh leafy salads, fresh flavors, and organic dishes, although there is plenty of variety in Californian cooking, including fusion cuisine using fresh local ingredients. An attractive presentation is important in authentic California cuisine. Californians enjoy cooking with lean meats and seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, and anything low in saturated fat and high in nutrition. Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French, and Mexican cuisines have all influenced the fusion cuisine of California. California Food Pioneers Alice Waters has contributed to authentic .....
- Chili Squid with TomatoesThis chili squid with tomatoes recipe is for lovers of all things spicy, since chili is used plentifully. Chili and tomato goes well, which is good because the sauce is tomato-based. You could use fresh tomatoes for this but honestly the canned type are just as good here. The squid is stuffed with a mixture of egg, bread and cilantro. This is how you make this chili squid with tomatoes a success. The filling should be sticky but not too ‘wet’ so add the egg a little at a time. If it is not wet enough add extra egg to it. This is a very simple filling so you can appreciate the flavor of the squid without any of the ingredients .....
- Roasted Rainbow CarrotsWhen I first spotted rainbow carrots at the market, I was intrigued. What would they taste like? Would the different colors have different flavors? I just had to buy them and find out for myself, and honestly I was really pleased with the result of my roasted rainbow carrots recipe! Of course there are different ways to cook carrots, perhaps the worst way being roughly chopping them and boiling them to mush. I recommend roasting the carrots for the very best results. They will take a while to become tender because they are quite dense. But allow sufficient time and your result will be a wonderful side dish which is as healthy as it is tasty. .....
- How To Make Shrimp and Mushroom Stuffed CalamariHow does shrimp and mushroom stuffed calamari sound to you? The red pepper sauce served with it is beautiful too. This recipe makes sufficient for 4 people and features shrimp, mushrooms, garlic, parsley and breadcrumbs. The sauce is made with red pepper, garlic and oil, to keep things simple. I have various stuffed calamari recipes in my repertoire but this one is always a winner and it’s great for any occasion, even a special occasion like a dinner party or special birthday meal. This is a clear, simple-to-follow video and it is a great introduction to beginner home cooks who wish to make stuffed squid for the first time. Try this .....
- New Pasta Recipes to TryThere is so much you can do with pasta, and also so many kinds to choose from. White or whole wheat pasta, penne, spaghetti, pasta twists, linguine… the list goes on. You can make hot recipes such as baked pasta dishes, or chilled ones like a salad. You can serve it as an entree or side dish, and there are many new pasta recipes to try. Pasta is economical and filling, and there are plenty of wonderful Italian recipes using it. Try the big noodles to make lasagna, long pasta like linguine or spaghetti to serve with a meaty sauce, or pasta shapes to make pasta salad or to cling to a thick sauce. Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes If you want .....
- Homemade Pizza on French BreadPizza comes frozen or from the pizza delivery place or from your local Italian restaurant. But wait, what about the best pizza? Well that would be the kind you make yourself at home! Honest, it’s so quick and easy to make pizza yourself and you don’t even have to make the dough. This homemade pizza on French bread will have the kids (and grownups) beating down the kitchen door, it smells so good! The quickest pizza recipe probably has to be this tortilla pizza but next up you have baguette pizza or French bread pizza, which is French bread, French stick or baguette bread (however you call it) topped with tomato sauce and pizza .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings......
- Folding WontonsSichuan wontons are known as ‘chao shou’ which means crossed hands, and they have a thickish, white wrapping. These wontons are boiled and served in a highly spicy sauce which is typical of nearly all Sichuan cuisine. The name is believed to refer to its wrapping style. The wonton wrapper is first folded into a triangular shape and then the two sides are brought to the front and they overlap. This looks a bit like someone with folded arms and it’s all in the folding wontons technique. In Shanghai the wontons are folded into triangles but the second fold features a little twist, giving it a cute shape. Cantonese wontons are .....
- How to Wrap WontonsWonton wrappers come in different shapes and sizes but 3 inch square ones are possibly the most common variety. The following video shows you how to fold a wonton (or how to wrap wontons) for perfect results. You can then poach or deep-fry your wontons. How to Wrap Wontons in Different Ways Choose from triangles, flower buds or nurse caps – your wontons will look really professional and hold together perfectly in the broth or oil as they cook. If you are baking or steaming them, you have more options because you can arrange them on top of lettuce or cabbage leaves in your steamer and expect them to stay upright. The same applies if you are .....
- A Closer Look at Starter RecipesLet’s take a closer look at simple starter recipes and find out what they are, when to serve them and how to present them. Starter recipes is the British term for appetizers, and these little treats can be easy to make and very tasty. Smaller dishes can be served before a main course or when you want to make snacks instead of a more filling meal. You can serve them at parties, buffets, get-togethers, cocktail parties and more. If the occasion calls for finger food or a snack, rather than a heavy meal, you can serve such recipes. Plan which ones you are going to serve by thinking about your guests and looking at the rest of the planned .....