Salmon is a powerhouse of nutrition. This salmon in mustard cream sauce recipe is just one idea for incorporating this juicy fish into a recipe. Wild-caught salmon boasts sweetness as well as a fatty touch which balances things out beautifully for the perfect mouth-feel.
This would be beautiful with any kind of potatoes – mashed, boiled (with dill weed!) or crispy and roasted, along with your favorite green vegetable. Broccoli, zucchini (courgette) and green beans are definite contenders. Personally I love grilled green asparagus, so consider that as well.
If you want to double up on the sauce it would make a fine vegetarian dip for chips, bread or veggie crudites. If you are serving this with mashed potatoes, simply ladle some of the extra sauce over those too. We are going to broil (UK: cook under the grill) the salmon for optimum results, and you will find the other ingredients add plenty of appeal to the overall flavor. Continue reading
An indoor smoker is a wonderful buy if you want to smoke your own food but you either don’t want to do it outdoors, you don’t have a backyard, or the weather isn’t really on your side. There are different types of indoor smokers to choose from but you can get one for under $50 and the results of your indoor smoker recipes will be really impressive.
Bring all the delicious flavors of wood smoking indoors and try smoking a whole fish filet or ham. You can also smoke ribs, salmon, chicken, sausages, tofu, cheese, nuts, garlic, salt (yes, smoked salt is amazing!), Cornish hens, and much more.
No oil or fats need to be added when making indoor smoker recipes, and you don’t have to add salt or flavoring either. The food smokes in its own juices so it stays nice and moist.
Choose from many types of wood chips to get the perfect taste from your indoor smoker recipes, and consider combo-cooking, which means smoking the food first then finishing it off on the grill or oven to get it crispy. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
My husband and I had lunch at the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Cardiff last year and it was really good! I had the avocado superfood salad with smoked salmon and it really made an impression. I loved all those flavors and it looked gorgeous too. I wanted to recreate it so I came up with this Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat recipe. It’s not identical but pretty close!
What’s in It?
The Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat salad is made with avocado, beets, grains, kale, toasted seeds, and a tasty harissa and lemon dressing. On top of that you have avocado, pomegranate and poppy seeds. The following recipe is a copycat attempt, in case you wish to recreate some of this wonderful meal, but I can’t say it is totally accurate since I’m just going by what I remember.
In the restaurant you can order free-range chicken or smoked salmon on the side, or some feta cheese if you want. I am all for tweaking recipes so take the following Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat recipe and tweak it to your heart’s content. Consider adding walnuts, olives, capers, cucumber, grated carrot, baby spinach, or anything else. Consider this recipe as a starting point and lovingly make this recipe your own. Continue reading
Whip up some of these easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs and you have a quick and easy evening meal for the whole family. I use canned salmon to make these easy salmon patties but you could use tuna instead or even crab. Just ensure it is drained well before incorporating with the other ingredients. Drain the salmon in a sieve and then combine it with a beaten egg, some onion and breadcrumbs, and that is all you need to add to make easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs.
If you want to add extra ingredients though, go ahead and consider herbs, garlic, or anything else you wish to throw in there. I use a food processor to combine the ingredients.
When making hamburgers (with meat) you need to take care not to over-mix because the burgers can become tough but with canned salmon it doesn’t matter, and you will only need a few quick pulses in the food processor to combine the ingredients anyway. If you don’t have one, you can simply stir or mash the ingredients together, and the same applies if you prefer a chunkier texture in your easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs. Continue reading
This is an incredibly easy recipe and a great way to prepare salmon. Here we are adding lemon and lime juice to the fish, along with lemon and lime zest if you like. You could stick to either lemon or lime or, like I prefer to do, use some of each for a more interesting flavor in this lemon and lime salmon recipe. Add the zest too if you want, to add more citrus flavor to the salmon and also to add a decorative touch.
Last time I made this lemon and lime salmon recipe, I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over the salmon. I wasn’t sure whether my husband would like it because he hates celery and celery seed is a major ingredient in Old Bay but he did so that worked out well! I love Old Bay with crab cakes and other seafood dishes, and actually it’s great with salmon as well, especially with lemon and lime salmon.
For Lemon and Lime Salmon, Remember: Fresh is Best!
If you only have bottled lemon and lime juice, use that for the lemon and lime salmon, but honestly it pays to use the fresh stuff because it really is better, plus you can serve some lemon and lime wedges on the side too which always looks nice. Serve this with spinach, snow peas or broccoli, and perhaps some mashed potato too or a potato salad if you prefer. You might even prefer a different grain such as couscous or quinoa.
Comfort food tends to be hot, thick and tasty, and it can apply to both sweet and savory dishes. What is your favorite comfort food? Do you love winter comfort food recipes as much as I do?
Are you into burgers and fries, homemade mac and cheese, onion rings with a creamy dip, a bowl of chili, or how about apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream?
Homemade bread is wonderful, as is pizza. Winter comfort food recipes might not be the healthiest of food but balance it out by eating healthy meals at other times, and it can be part of a balanced diet.
Although American food is what many of us think of when considering comfort food recipes, other cuisines are equally good at cheering the body and soul on a chilly day or evening.
Pizza and calzone are Italian favorites, along with mac and cheese, while a hearty crockpot beef stew with European seasonings might also be just what you need, or how does a Swiss cheese fondue recipe sound?
- Types of Chinese TeaWhy not pair your crispy fried crab Rangoon wontons with a refreshing cup of Chinese tea? There are many types of Chinese tea to choose from so you can quench your thirst and enjoy the delicious, fragrant taste. Chinese tea has a long history and the tea-drinking ritual has been around for over 1000 years. The Chinese were the first to discover the flavor of tea leaves, and tea is an integral part of daily life in China. Chinese tea used to be divided into four grades, depending on quality, and the Chinese tea culture was developed a lot during the Ming and Song dynasties, popularizing it in neighboring countries such as Korea and Japan. .....
- Beef and Potato Rissoles RecipeThese hot, tasty treats make a really delicious appetizer, so consider this beef and potato rissoles recipe if you want to make a hearty, delicious dish. The parsley, dill and thyme go really well with the beef and the currants and pine nuts add texture and flavor. Rissoles are quick and easy to make and you can serve them on a platter of lettuce leaves if you like. What are Rissoles? So what is the difference between a rissole and a hamburger patty, you might be wondering. Actually they are quite similar but a hamburger is often made with just meat and perhaps some seasonings, while rissoles often feature all kinds of added ingredients like .....
- Recipe for Squid Stuffed with Rice and HerbsThis fun video shows you how to make delicious squid stuffed with rice and it is aimed at beginners, so you can see exactly what you need, how to prepare the ingredients and how to stuff and cook your squid to perfection. Stuffed squid recipes are really easy, so long as you know what you need and how to prepare and combine the ingredients, as well as how long to cook it so your squid comes out beautifully tender. This squid stuffed with rice cooking video is easy enough for complete beginners to master so if you are worried about getting lost in technical cooking jargon then don’t, because that is not what stuffed squid is all about. .....
- Sweet and Sour Sesame Chicken WingsChicken wings are always a good choice because they are full of flavor and nice to pick up and eat with the fingers. This sweet and sour sesame chicken wings recipe adds an Asian spin to the chicken, offering a wonderful sweet and sour flavor which you will love. There are different ways to cook chicken wings. You might want to deep fry them with or without a coating, pan fry them, grill them, or even bake them in the oven. The chicken wings in this recipe are flavored and then baked in the oven until they are crispy and perfectly cooked. These sweet and sour sesame chicken wings are unique. The chicken wings are flavored with garlic and .....
- Ground Beef Wontons with Green OnionThese delicious ground beef wontons with green onion contain ground beef and green onions of course, along with soy sauce and more. You can either steam or simmer them, and you can even freeze them and cook them from frozen whenever you have a wonton craving! If you are wondering just how versatile wontons are the answer is… very! They can be steamed, boiled, baked or deep fried, and they can be filled with all kinds of wonderful fillings. Pork and shrimp make a typical filling, while other wonton recipes like Crab Rangoon wontons are also popular. Then there are beef recipes such as this one, and beef is both filling and rich-tasting, .....
- How Many Calories in WineA lot of people dieting know how many calories are in food, or at least they have some idea and then find out the rest, so they can keep a record, but how about calories in wine because those count just as much. Wine drinkers might be surprised how many calories are in their favorite tipple. In fact, if you drink wine it’s vital to know. So, how many calories in wine exactly? Although most wines are less than 100 calories a glass that is not always the case and of course it depends on the serving size. Wine is lower in calories than a lot of other alcoholic drinks, with Sauvignon Blanc and Zinfandel at less than 80 calories a serving. .....
- Low Carb Tortilla PizzaThis low carb tortilla pizza is incredibly good and it takes about 10 minutes to make and the same again to cook. Whether or not you have made pizza before, you will find this low carb tortilla pizza incredibly simple, and the sky is the limit as far as toppings are concerned. Use a low-carb tortilla to make your pizza. I recommend the Mama Lupe ones because they’re so good and only 3 carbs (and 60 calories) each. And they are the closest in flavor to regular tortillas. I also tried the La Tortilla brand for my low carb tortilla pizza because those are only 50 calories each but… nope not as good as the Mama Lupe ones. This low .....
- Japanese Chicken CrackslawCrackslaw is usually made with Chinese ingredients but add some Teriyaki sauce and you get a sweeter result which also has a distinct Japanese flair. Whether you are counting your carbs or simply looking for something really tasty, this Japanese chicken crackslaw recipe is a real winner. Perhaps you have made the classic crack slaw recipe before and you wonder what a similar dish but made with slightly different flavors would taste like, in which case try this recipe for a change of pace. You may use canned or fresh chicken. It should be cooked before adding it to the recipe, so this is a great dish to make if you have leftover chicken to .....
- How to Make a Healthy Vegetarian FrittataEggs are a wonderful and versatile ingredient for vegetarians, and you can use them to make breakfast, lunch or dinner, so it is a good idea always to keep some in the refrigerator. The following recipe teams the eggs with fresh vegetables, garlic, cheese, and basil, and the result is light yet perfectly satisfying. This healthy vegetarian frittata is something you are sure to enjoy. Feel free to change the vegetables, using up whatever you have in the refrigerator. Pretty much anything goes, so you might wish to swap the green onions for red onion, the baby spinach for broccoli, the potatoes for mushrooms, or even the basil for cilantro or .....
- 12 Simple Indian Recipes for BeginnersIndian is one of my favorite cuisines and I just love the food. I have traveled around India and tasted the dishes how they are supposed to be made, because westernized Indian food really isn’t the same at all. I like to make simple Indian recipes for beginners because I just love the flavors but don’t have all day to cook. Indian food features all kinds of proteins from pork to chicken, fish, seafood, lamb and eggs, although beef isn’t used much in India, not at all in most places, because the cow is seen as holy in India. Indian curries are cooked over an open flame traditionally, and include plenty of aromatic spices as well as .....