Fish and Seafood
This is my current favorite crunch Asian salad with sesame dressing recipe. It contrasts crunchy and soft ingredients and boasts a wonderful Asian flavor in every mouthful. What really finishes it off perfectly is the roasted sesame dressing. I like to use rice noodles for this, although egg noodles would also work, or even thick udon noodles.
For the vegetables in this Asian salad with sesame dressing, I like to use edamame beans, grated carrot and radish. You can either thaw some frozen shelled edamame beans or use fresh shelled ones, as you prefer.
Buy grated carrot to save time when making an Asian salad with sesame dressing, else you can shred or grate your own in, maybe in a food processor or using a julienne peeler. If you want to use other ingredients instead, consider blanched broccoli florets or asparagus spears. Continue reading
Whip up some of these easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs and you have a quick and easy evening meal for the whole family. I use canned salmon to make these easy salmon patties but you could use tuna instead or even crab. Just ensure it is drained well before incorporating with the other ingredients. Drain the salmon in a sieve and then combine it with a beaten egg, some onion and breadcrumbs, and that is all you need to add to make easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs.
If you want to add extra ingredients though, go ahead and consider herbs, garlic, or anything else you wish to throw in there. I use a food processor to combine the ingredients.
When making hamburgers (with meat) you need to take care not to over-mix because the burgers can become tough but with canned salmon it doesn’t matter, and you will only need a few quick pulses in the food processor to combine the ingredients anyway. If you don’t have one, you can simply stir or mash the ingredients together, and the same applies if you prefer a chunkier texture in your easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
This is an incredibly easy recipe and a great way to prepare salmon. Here we are adding lemon and lime juice to the fish, along with lemon and lime zest if you like. You could stick to either lemon or lime or, like I prefer to do, use some of each for a more interesting flavor in this lemon and lime salmon recipe. Add the zest too if you want, to add more citrus flavor to the salmon and also to add a decorative touch.
Last time I made this lemon and lime salmon recipe, I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over the salmon. I wasn’t sure whether my husband would like it because he hates celery and celery seed is a major ingredient in Old Bay but he did so that worked out well! I love Old Bay with crab cakes and other seafood dishes, and actually it’s great with salmon as well, especially with lemon and lime salmon.
For Lemon and Lime Salmon, Remember: Fresh is Best!
If you only have bottled lemon and lime juice, use that for the lemon and lime salmon, but honestly it pays to use the fresh stuff because it really is better, plus you can serve some lemon and lime wedges on the side too which always looks nice. Serve this with spinach, snow peas or broccoli, and perhaps some mashed potato too or a potato salad if you prefer. You might even prefer a different grain such as couscous or quinoa.
When the weather is cold, mussels steamed in the pan with white wine and parsley makes a wonderful meal, served with warm garlic bread. Then maybe follow them up with some mulled wine or hot apple cider. This is why everyone should know how to cook mussels. When the weather turns warm, such a dish might not offer the same appeal but that’s when the barbecue comes into play and grilling season is in full swing.
In the following recipe we are taking live mussels and cooking them in foil packets. They are served with a butter, parsley and white wine sauce, along with some bread. This makes a lovely appetizer for 4 or an entrée for 2. If you’re serving it as an entrée then consider fries on the side or baked potatoes.
How to Store Mussels Safely
When learning how to cook mussels, you should know that live mussels may be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Before you cook them, tap any shells which are open. Alive ones will close their shells right away. Dead ones won’t so discard any that don’t close when you give them a sharp tap. Soak them in salted water for a few minutes too. This encourages them to spit out any grit.
This is very typical food in Thailand, and you can find Thai fried rice with shrimp (or chicken or another protein) served everywhere from a food stand on the street corner to a fine Thai food restaurant. There are different ways to make Thai fried rice with shrimp and you can usually specify which meat you want to have in there. When making Thai fried rice, you can use up any meats or seafood and veggies left in the refrigerator so if you have leftovers it is a great way to use them up.
More about Thai Fried Rice with Shrimp
Unlike Chinese fried rice and some other kinds, Thai fried rice comes with a wedge of lime on the side along with prik nam pla, which is chilies and fish sauce combined together. Use the following recipe as a starting point, adjusting the ingredients to match what you happen to have available.
It is always best to use day-old cooked rice to make your Thai fried rice with shrimp, because freshly cooked rice is too moist and will steam instead of fry. If that isn’t possible though, just ensure your rice has time to cool down because this will dry it out quite well.
If you want to make your own prik nam pla (fish and chili sauce) to serve with this (and you really should, for an authentic Thai rice flavor!) then you should put 3 tablespoons of fish sauce in a bowl and add 4 sliced Thai chilies. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime if you like, although the lime is optional.
Plateau de fruits de mer is the French term for seafood platter, and this recipe comprises both cooked and raw seafood on a chilled platter, often on a bed of ice. If you order a fruits de mer recipe, you can expect shellfish along with bread, mayonnaise (preferably homemade) and condiments like cocktail sauce and mignonette sauce. The serving platter will be above table level on some kind of stand, and sometimes there are several tiers, both to make it look for elegant, and also because some of the shellfish is served on the half-shell or in the full shell, and then it takes up a lot of room.
A fruits de mer recipe is traditionally served after midnight mass in France as a Christmas treat. Fill your tiered platter with as much wonderful seafood as it can hold and chill the rest until you are ready to replenish it. Prepare homemade mignonette and mayonnaise, ensure you have plenty of bread and white wine (or Champagne) and get ready to wow your dinner guests with this authentic French seafood dish. Gin goes well with seafood so perhaps serve martinis or even gin and (a good quality) tonic before you bring out the show-stopping pièce de résistance – your icy platter of shellfish in all its glory.
Do you have a simple platter or tiered platter for your fruits de mer recipe? If not, you can use a cake stand under a dish to give your fruits de mer recipe some height. Spread the surfaces with crushed ice and add seaweed for decoration if you have some. Use coarse dishwasher salt instead of ice if you are not serving the dish immediately.
Arrange your seafood on the tiers and drape a couple of the prawns over the sides. Add mayonnaise, lemon wedges and maybe some mignonette too. Serve the bread on the side and make sure everyone has a little bowl with water and a slice of lemon so they can wash their hands, or at least some moist towelettes. You can buy little pins for the winkles, so people can get them out of the shells, and other implements.
- Authentic Hot Russian Borscht SoupThis bright red, Russian soup is delicious and famous. Enjoyed all over the globe, the flavor is unmistakable and this is quite a healthy dish as well. It takes a while to put together so wait until you have a clear day then take your time making it lovingly, and the result will please you so much. Although borscht is usually served cold, a hot Russian borscht soup can also be very good, especially if the weather isn’t the best and you want to be warmed up. This nutritious recipe boasts onion, cabbage, potatoes and carrots, as well as the tasty beets which offer the distinctive flavor. You also have kidney beans in there, plus ketchup, .....
- Spicy Potato CakesSpicy potato cakes go beautifully with any poultry, meat or fish dish, as an alternative to hash brown, boiled or mashed potatoes, or even rice, pasta or other starchy sides. Something else you can do with these spicy potato cakes is serve them for breakfast, perhaps with fried eggs, mushrooms and a sausage or some bacon strips. They are also nice served as a snack with sour cream on top. The spicy potato cakes recipe is Indian influenced, and a lot of Indian dishes feature spices. Adding spices to something doesn’t mean the taste has to be fiery hot. Instead you can add a fragrant, aromatic touch by carefully selecting which spices .....
- Corned Beef Hash with a TwistThis corned beef hash recipe is fantastic and it is versatile enough to be breakfast, brunch, lunch, or just a comfort food snack if you are in the mood for it. The twist is the cream in the recipe and even though that might sound like an odd ingredient for corned beef hash it totally transforms it from good to great, so give this recipe a try and this might be how you make your corned beef hash from now on. As well as the potatoes and corned beef you will need butter and cream to add a luxurious mouth feel, onion and bell pepper to add nutrients, color and crunch, and some eggs if you wish to garnish your corned beef hash with fried eggs .....
- Easy Roasted Duck LegsDuck legs are much simpler to cook than duck breast, although that is not difficult either. Moreover they are nearly impossible to overcook because of the fat content keeping them succulent. All you need for the following easy roasted duck legs recipe are duck legs, thyme, salt and pepper, although you can also cook potatoes in the oven with the duck if you wish. Adding Potatoes to Your Easy Roasted Duck Legs If you do want to cook potatoes with the duck, simply peel and chop or slice potatoes and arrange them around the duck in the oven, then they can cook together. The reason I usually roast the potatoes is because the fat coming out of .....
- Cauliflower Nasi Goreng – Low CarbThis cauliflower nasi goreng – low carb and tasty – might well earn a place on your regular meal rotation. It’s just so special! Nasi goreng is a delicious dish from Indonesia, which I’ve enjoyed plenty of times since moving to the Netherlands, since the Dutch are very much into Indonesian foods. Although this is a rice-based dish and you might think no way can that be low carb, swap the rice for cauliflower and it will be! Also, because this is a spicy dish (a dish with spices, not necessary ‘hot’ if you don’t want it to be) you won’t taste the cauliflower. What is Nasi Gorgeng? The name .....
- Bone Broth Recipes and Bone Broth BenefitsBone broth is a slow-cooked soup made from animal bones which are filled with magnesium and calcium, along with collagen. This beverage is a great addition to any diet, especially if you have skin problems, immunity issues or digestive trouble, because it can help with those. There has been a lot of talk lately about how to make bone broth recipes, with people wondering not only how to get the ingredients and make it, but also why it is so popular and what nutrients it includes. Combined with apple cider vinegar (to coax the minerals out of the bones) and seasonings or vegetables, bones make a tasty, nutritious broth which will keep for .....
- Best Avocado Potato SaladHave you ever tried avocado in your potato salad? If not, make some avocado potato salad now because it is really tasty! The avocado adds a creamy, nutty, decadent touch to the potato salad which works so well. This avocado potato salad goes beautifully as a side dish alongside chicken, burgers or any other meat, or try it with fish or something else. Make this once and you are sure to want to make it again and again, and don’t be surprised if everyone asks you for the recipe. Which Potatoes to Use in Avocado Potato Salad We are using baby red-skinned potatoes here but you can use brown-skinned ones if you wish, or even larger potatoes .....
- Help for Yeast Infections During PregnancyYeast infections are incredibly common, and women of all ages can suffer with this irritating problem, and throughout pregnancy it can get far worse. These infections are never fun but yeast infections during pregnancy can be extra rough. Many women will discover that a yeast infection is common when they are expecting a baby. Therefore, seeking a solution to the problem is essential, and will ensure that your pregnancy is comfortable. Your body is an amazing thing, and there are several different factors that can contribute to you suffering with yeast infections during pregnancy. The fungus Candida is present in your body at all times, .....
- Pink Toilets and Pink Toilet SeatsPink toilets will make a statement, which is what many people want to do in their homes. The bathroom can often be the best place to be adventurous so don’t rule pink toilets out entirely! If you have a typically conservative taste, yet you want to step out of the box, choosing pink toilets could be the way to achieve this goal. There are no rules when it comes to designing your bathroom; therefore, colorful accessories and fixtures can be an excellent choice. Deciding on the Design, Style and Color of the Toilet Contemporary toilets and bathroom designs have become incredibly popular, and many people are choosing bright, vibrant .....
- Low Carb Mini Quiches RecipeWhether you serve these low carb mini quiches for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just as a snack, there is no doubt these mini quiches will satisfy your hunger. Eggs are a basic staple on low carb diets because they offer plenty of nutrients, they are filling and tasty, and there are so many recipes you can make with this versatile, budget ingredient. Eggs are great for vegetarians and pescetarians, as well as carnivores. Low Carb Mini Quiches: An Easy Freezy Idea! One great thing about this low carb mini quiches recipe is you can freeze the quiches, then just pop one in the microwave for half a minute. Make a big batch at once and you will .....