California is known for its amazing food, earmarked by a tradition of fruit, fresh leafy salads, fresh flavors, and organic dishes, although there is plenty of variety in Californian cooking, including fusion cuisine using fresh local ingredients. An attractive presentation is important in authentic California cuisine.
Californians enjoy cooking with lean meats and seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, and anything low in saturated fat and high in nutrition. Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French, and Mexican cuisines have all influenced the fusion cuisine of California.
California Food Pioneers
Alice Waters has contributed to authentic California cuisine a lot. She opened Chez Panisse restaurant in 1971 in Berkeley, CA, and Wolfgang Puck is another name associated with this style of cooking. Daniel Patterson is another name you might know, and he has emphasized foraged foods and vegetables, keeping the traditional emphasis on presentation, along with using locally sourced ingredients.
Try this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe if you are out to impress. This is the perfect go-to recipe for a dinner party because it pairs seafood with pasta and it looks like a true gourmet dish on the plate, although to be honest it is really easy to put together. As well as the fettuccine pasta you will need mixed seafood, and for your flavors you will be adding lemon, dill and a touch of Tabasco sauce – flavors which are amazing with seafood.
For this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe, the pasta is cooked in one pan while the seafood mixture is cooked in another. You then have the choice of either combining them or serving them separately, depending on the look of the dish you have in mind.
Pasta tends to cool quickly and become gummy, so warm the plates up first before plating up the dish. I usually do this by putting them in a 200 degrees F/100 degrees C oven for 20 minutes. Just warm it up then turn it off and pop the plates in there. Not all plates are ovenproof but I think most are.
Some More Hot Content For You
Crab and cream cheese are combined in this easy wonton recipe for a spectacular result. You will need softened cream cheese for these cream cheese wontons with crab so either leave the cream cheese at room temperature for a while or microwave it for 20 seconds.
Feel free to be creative with the wonton wrapper shape when making your cream cheese wontons with crab. You can make scrunched up wontons, triangles or any other shape you fancy. Just make sure they are well sealed so they hold together when they are being fried.
What Kind of Crabmeat to Use
Dungeness crabmeat is the best kind to use, but use whatever type of lump crabmeat you can get. Just make sure you drain it as well as you can, before mixing it with the other ingredients, since it will be packed in water or brine, and that will make your wontons soggy.
The ginger and green onions bring out the flavor of the crab and cream cheese, and plum sauce would be very nice for dipping these wontons into, else you can serve soy sauce, chili sauce or oyster sauce instead for dipping. These cream cheese wontons with crab are very simple to prepare and they only take a few minutes to fry to crispy perfection. Continue reading
Crab rangoon wontons are always popular at buffets and dinner parties. They make a great appetizer before a meat or poultry main course. You can garnish them with fresh dill if you like. Since dill is traditionally served with fish, this will indicate to your dinner guests that the wontons contain fish or seafood. Crab rangoon wontons are known as crab puffs in Pacific northwest states. They might also be called crab meat cheese, cheese crab wontons, crab pillows or crab cheese wontons. Regardless of how you call them, these crab rangoon wontons are always amazing.
History of Crab Rangoon
Crab rangoon has featured on Trader Vic’s menu since 1957. This San Francisco eatery claims the Polynesian-style dish came from an authentic Burmese recipe and was invented there, although modern crab rangoon wontons have evolved from the original spiced crab dish. Cream cheese is not used in Asian cuisine so the filling is unlikely to have Asian roots. Serve these delicious crab rangoon wontons with plum sauce, mustard, sweet and sour sauce or soy sauce, for dipping.
Crab Rangoon wontons are always great to serve as an appetizer or to liven up your buffet table. The combination of crab and cream cheese is simple yet magical and although this is not an authentic Chinese recipe, the use of wonton wrappers to contain the crab and cheese filling is genius, and you are sure to love both the texture and the taste of these magnificent little treats. The kids will love these and so will the grownups. Because the cheese keeps the wontons very moist, you do not need to serve a dipping sauce with these unless you especially want to. Continue reading
Searing scallops is so simple, and searing them without sticking is just down to ensuring your pan is hot enough when you add them, and also down to adding enough fat. I know firsthand that learning how to sear scallops without sticking can be a frustrating learning curve. Scallops aren’t cheap and ruining a batch by cooking them wrong is a costly mistake!
You will need to use oil or butter (I like to use both) to stop them sticking and you will also want to wait until the fat begins to smoke before adding those scallops.
How to Sear Scallops without Sticking Pro Tip: Get the Pan Really Hot!
If your pan is hot enough the scallops will sizzle and spit when you add them and they will be done in just a few minutes, which is why you should prepare your side dishes before you begin cooking them. This dish is ready before you know it! This is an important tip when learning how to sear scallops without sticking – a pan that isn’t sufficiently warm will not yield the best result. Continue reading
This seafood soup recipe is made from scratch, so you will get all that amazing seafood flavour you love so much. Whether you are using lobster, crab, prawns or a mixture, the flavor is amazing.
The better the seafood broth you use in this seafood soup recipe, the better it is going to taste. Whenever you are basing a whole recipe on a broth you need to make sure you use something of quality. It is so important.
Great Ingredients Blend Together
There are quite a few different ingredients in this seafood soup recipe but use them all and you will be so glad you did. The most important ingredients are the seafood and whatever you use to make the broth. Continue reading
- Curried Beef Stuffed PeppersI’ve always been a fan of stuffed peppers, especially when beef, rice and cheese come together with seasonings to offer a rich and satisfying filling. But this time I wanted to make something without the rice and cheese, and I was curious how to flavor the beef sufficiently so that could be the main ingredient. That is how the idea for these curried beef stuffed peppers was born. The following curried beef stuffed peppers recipe is made with spices and seasonings to add a light curry flavor to the beef filling, along with walnuts, raisins and other ingredients to add flavor accents. The overall effect is amazing and I am keen to make .....
- Chicken Curry Indian Style RecipeThis chicken curry Indian style recipe is just what you need if you want to cheer yourself up on a chilly evening. The chicken and vegetables combine beautifully with the curry spices and the overall effect is fantastic. Serve this with white fluffy rice, naan bread or whatever your heart desires. In a restaurant you may request your curry mild, medium or spicy, and hope the chef’s version of ‘mild’ for example, is the same as yours! We have all been there, asking for a mild dish, and it arrives and blows your head off. Well, in this chicken curry Indian style recipe, it is up to you to add the spices, so you can choose how .....
- A Closer Look at Easy Wonton RecipesEasy wonton recipe ideas are vital for every keen cook who wants to learn more about Chinese cooking. Making your own wontons is a great idea if you want to make something simple yet tasty, using easy-to-find ingredients and common cooking methods. A lot of wonton recipes freeze well too, so you might wish to make a batch of wontons and freeze them for a future wonton soup recipe or fried wonton recipe. If you are feeding a crowd, you might like to offer them a platter of steaming hot crispy wontons, as well as a bowl of chili dipping sauce, or you could make dessert wontons to thrill your kids. There are easy wonton recipes for everybody. .....
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing with Sour CreamThis buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream is one of the best salad dressing recipes I’ve made in a while. I just had it with baby kale, deli beef, parmesan, crispy fried onions and raisins, and it made a really nice meal. If you use low-fat mayonnaise you can get a large serving of this buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream for about 90 calories, or else you can use regular mayo if you prefer. A Perfect Ranch Flavor I didn’t have fresh chives when I first made this buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream so I used dried. I think fresh would work better, so I will make sure I have some of that next time. I used the .....
- 5 Great Websites about SpaceLike many people, I’m fascinated by space and sometimes I like to find new websites about space and wonder at it all. If you think about it, the Earth is just one tiny dot in the middle of a seemingly unlimited universe and, although we have some idea of what is out there, at least closest to us, there is so much we don’t know! I find the enormity of it all to be a thing of wonder, and now that technology is being developed at such a speedy rate, the space photos and new information available is incredible. When I see a headline in the newspaper about space or a link to look at photos, I often click through out of curiosity, but .....
- What is Tex-Mex FoodTo sum up the answer to ‘what is Tex-Mex food’, Tex-Mex cuisine refers to primarily American dishes found in the state of Texas. This cuisine is a blend of American and Mexican foods. Some of these recipes might not be the same as the authentic Mexican version but it is still referred to as ‘Mexican’ in Texas. People in other states sometimes refer to Tex-Mex as ‘Southwestern’ food. Tex-Mex is thought by some people to be the oldest original cuisine in the US. It was named in 1875 and began when the Texas-Mexican Railway was called Tex-Mex for short. This term was also used for Mexicans who were born in .....
- Cream Cheese Wonton Ideas and Chinese Dumplings and Soft WontonsThe most important part of your cabbage soup is, of course, the cabbage. You can get cabbage year-round and this vegetable weighs between one and seven pounds. Choose a cabbage with a big, compact head, and tender green leaves which do not show insect damage or holes. Fresh cabbage has plenty of outer leaves and greengrocers peel these off as the cabbage ages. Consider cream cheese wonton ideas. Cream cheese goes with cabbage really well (and seafood too!) Check the bottom of the cabbage before buying it, to check the leaves are not coming off the stem. If they are, that means the cabbage is old. Savoy cabbages are lighter for their size .....
- Ham and Lentil SoupAdd ham to your lentil soup and not only do you have a tasty, nutritious soup but you can also enjoy the meatiness that ham adds in there. Ham and lentil soup is great for lunch or as a comforting, warming snack. Whether you are using a ham hock or some leftover cooked ham, you can add that flavor to the lentil soup and be guaranteed that it will come out beautifully. Ham and lentil soup is usually thick and chunky, and the lentils will start to disintegrate when they are cooked, thickening up the soup without you needing to add starch or another thickener. Why You Should Make this Ham and Lentil Soup This is a great recipe for home cooks .....
- Delish Fish Crack SlawI love trying new ways of making crackslaw, and fish makes a nice, light alternative to meat. Of course, it is carb-free just like meat is, and you can choose anything between sole for a light flavor or cod for a richer flavor. I really enjoyed this fish crack slaw and want to make it often. There are plenty of other types of fish you can use in fish crack slaw as well and examples that come to my mind include tilapia, snapper, halibut, monkfish, dogfish, basa fish, and haddock. As long as it’s skinless and boneless it will work. Don’t use imitation seafood in fish crack slaw though, like those imitation crab pieces or crab .....
- Authentic Spanish Omelet RecipeSpanish omelet, or tortilla espanola as it is also known, is a combination of potatoes and eggs, giving you not only a ton of flavor, but also a protein and energy boost. You can eat a Spanish omelet recipe hot, chilled or at room temperature. I Love This Spanish Omelet Recipe! When I lived in the Canaries and mainland Spain, a Spanish omelet recipe was one of my favorite tapas, and sometimes I would indulge in a Spanish omelet sandwich in crusty bread with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and a touch of ketchup too. Oh – and a slice of cheese. Now that was a real treat! The main ingredients you need to make tortilla espanola are eggs and .....