What is bangers and mash, you might be wondering, and how do you make a British bangers and mash recipe? Well, one of the most popular examples of British comfort food, bangers and mash is a dish of bangers (sausages) with mash (mashed potatoes). It is usually served with thick brown onion gravy drizzled over the top.
I like to use plenty of onions in this British bangers and mash recipe or even forgo the sauteed onions and make a delicious onion gravy. You can use any gravy you want, either making it the lazy way with gravy granules or, if you prefer, making your own from scratch.
What Kind of Sausages for a British Bangers and Mash Recipe?
Choose big, fat sausages for making a British bangers and mash recipe. It is not a recipe for chipolatas or dainty little cocktail sausages. Although you can use pork sausages, beef ones are really good here, or you might like to try venison sausages to take this dish a little more upmarket; if so, add some minced garlic to the mashed potato.
Do you want to serve something with this British bangers and mash recipe? Consider broccoli, green beans or another green vegetable to round out the meal. Carrots would also work here.
For the drink, what about a cold apple cider or glass of beer? A light, fruity red wine (very lightly chilled) would also work if you are serving this British bangers and mash recipe and you want some wine. This makes an excellent weekday recipe for the whole family. It serves 8 so you can halve the recipe unless your family is huge or you are having friends over too!
If you’re looking for a great ribs recipe but using the oven instead of the grill, this oven baked short ribs recipe is certainly worth considering. It’s easy to make and the kitchen is going to smell incredible when you make this wonderful meal.
What You Need for Oven Baked Short Ribs
We are baking the ribs in the oven and adding a delicious sauce made with peach preserves, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar, paprika, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. These oven baked short ribs are really tasty and falling-apart tender. The whole family will enjoy this succulent treat.
What Kind of Ribs to Choose
We are using meaty bone-in beef short ribs to make this oven baked short ribs dish, but if you are using boneless short ribs you might need to use more ribs or reduce the amount of sauce, depending on how meaty they are.
Serve your oven baked short ribs with cornbread, corn on the cob, potato salad, green salad, steamed asparagus, broccoli salad, pasta salad or anything else you want on the side, although some good old Southern side dishes are always a great bet with such a recipe.
Some More Hot Content For You
Knowing how to make cauliflower rice is very handy whether you are looking for a low-carb substitute for rice, you are trying to cut down your calories, or you simply want to use up a cauliflower or sneak some added nutrients into your meal. Try this Mexican cauli rice dish for yourself and you’ll be amazed how good it is.
This Mexican cauliflower rice recipe is simple to prepare, and it is something you can tweak to your heart’s content. The first thing you need to do of course is transform your raw cauliflower into rice-sized pieces, and the easiest way to do this is to put it in the food processor with a blade attachment and whiz it for a few seconds.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
If you don’t have a food processor though, you can do it in the blender or else use a box grater to do it by hand. You can use the whole cauliflower apart from the leaves and the woody part right in the center. Don’t use thawed cauliflower for Mexican cauli rice because it is too mushy to separate into the rice-shaped bits. Continue reading
Steak is a popular protein on low carb diets because it is nutritious, filling and versatile. You can marinate it, use a spice rub or sauce, grill, barbecue or pan-fry it, or prepare it in another way. Plain steak and vegetables can become a bit boring and tedious though, which is why knowing how to make an easy low carb steak marinade recipe can breathe new life into your evening meal, adding tasty, spicy accents.
The following low carb steak marinade recipe is made with basil, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. You will need to let the steak soak in the marinade to soak up all the wonderful flavors. If you wish to tweak the recipe, swapping the balsamic vinegar for red wine vinegar, the onion powder for minced fresh onion or the red pepper flakes for a few drops of Tabasco sauce, that is fine.
Marinating Times for Low Carb Steak Marinade
We recommend about 4 hours as a good amount of marinating time, but overnight is also good. If you’re marinating a fine cut of steak such as strip steak or filet mignon, half an hour is sufficient, while tougher cuts like flank, brisket or skirt steak can be left in the mixture overnight.
Serve the finished steak with low carb side dishes such as creamed spinach or bacon-wrapped avocado unless you want to try a low carb potato dish, in which case Carisma potatoes might tempt your taste buds. This low carb steak marinade is sure to impress you. Continue reading
I’ve always been a fan of stuffed peppers, especially when beef, rice and cheese come together with seasonings to offer a rich and satisfying filling. But this time I wanted to make something without the rice and cheese, and I was curious how to flavor the beef sufficiently so that could be the main ingredient. That is how the idea for these curried beef stuffed peppers was born.
The following curried beef stuffed peppers recipe is made with spices and seasonings to add a light curry flavor to the beef filling, along with walnuts, raisins and other ingredients to add flavor accents. The overall effect is amazing and I am keen to make these curried beef stuffed peppers again soon.
I served the curried beef stuffed peppers with green beans on the side and actually they didn’t look much on the plate but, trust me, they are filling! The following recipe makes 2 servings and the amount of filling should be just enough to fill the peppers. Mine was perfect – neither too much nor too little, but of course it depends on the size of your peppers.
I love chili con carne and find myself making it often, either as a tasty treat for myself or as a shared meal for my husband and I. I usually make a big batch of it so I can enjoy it for lunch the next day, and the next! My husband is diabetic, so I needed to find a tasty low carb diabetic chili recipe which would taste good and look appetizing, and that is when I came up with this one.
The ingredients are nutritious and the flavor in this diabetic chili recipe is wonderful. You can tweak this diabetic chili recipe to your heart’s content, swapping the ground beef for chicken or pork, adding more spice (or less!) or swapping the tortilla bowls for homemade tortilla chips. You can use your favorite type of low carb tortillas to make any of these. You could even use a pizza cutter to slice tortillas into strips and scatter those over the finished dish. Now is this diabetic chili recipe sounding tempting?
I have a couple of crockpots – a huge one and a medium (OK small) one, and it’s the smaller one I use for making this diabetic chili recipe. I saute the meat with onions and garlic, then stir in the other ingredients and transfer the whole lot into the crockpot. I find 4 hours is enough to cook the chili and get all the flavors rich and perfect if I cook the diabetic chili recipe on HIGH or perhaps 8 to 9 hours on LOW. Which I choose just depends what time of the day I get the mixture in the crockpot.
- Chili Squid with TomatoesThis chili squid with tomatoes recipe is for lovers of all things spicy, since chili is used plentifully. Chili and tomato goes well, which is good because the sauce is tomato-based. You could use fresh tomatoes for this but honestly the canned type are just as good here. The squid is stuffed with a mixture of egg, bread and cilantro. This is how you make this chili squid with tomatoes a success. The filling should be sticky but not too ‘wet’ so add the egg a little at a time. If it is not wet enough add extra egg to it. This is a very simple filling so you can appreciate the flavor of the squid without any of the ingredients .....
- Amazing Chocolate Walnut CakeThis is a rich and tasty chocolate walnut cake featuring all the best sweet flavors that go amazingly together. Chocolate cake is good, as is walnut cake, but combine the two and – bam! You have an incredible cake boasting the rich taste of chocolate and the distinctive crunch of walnut in every mouthful. This cake is easy to prepare and decorating it with the ganache is a breeze. To make this flavorful cake you are going to need butter, chocolate, cocoa, coffee, eggs, sugar and walnuts. The frosting uses cream and dark chocolate along with some more walnuts to garnish the finished cake. When to Make this Chocolate Walnut Cake This .....
- Yeast Infection Diet AdviceYeast infections can manifest in several different areas of your body, and can affect anyone regardless of age or gender. This form of infection is most commonly found in women and will affect the vaginal area. One of the most natural ways to fight this off is following the yeast infection diet. There are several different reasons for the yeast infection to surface, including a poor diet, stress, unhygienic behavior or using antibiotics. Understanding Fungus and Why It is in Your Body Before explaining more about the yeast infection diet, let’s look at this disease in more detail. A yeast infection will occur when the level of natural .....
- Vegan Parsnip Crisps RecipeThis vegan parsnip crisps recipe is really well worth making. The crisps (chips) are made from parsnips. You can serve them as they are or with any dip you like, such as an onion dip, hummus or a salsa. These are one of our easiest vegan recipes. Vegan Parsnip Crisps: Crispy Crunchy Appeal Crisps are normally made from potatoes of course, and then you have ones made with sweet potatoes, but these are very similar, albeit offering a slightly more unusual flavor. Parsnips are tasty and versatile. They can be roasted or used to make a mash, or they might go in a soup or stew. Parsnips are lovely roasted and served alongside a roast, even a nut .....
- Lamb Crackslaw with Hoisin SauceThis recipes uses leftover lamb, but you could use any leftover meat to make it. Just chop it into small pieces and then you can add it to the recipe. The vegetables add flavor and color to the dish, and you can feel free to use your favorites. I love lamb crackslaw because it’s tasty and oh so filling. If you want to swap the carrot for broccoli, for example, go ahead. This could be served with a starch on the side, but I usually just have it as it is, because it is satisfying enough like that. In fact it is really filling. This recipe is really appealing and even if you are not following a low carb diet you will love it. Hoisin sauce .....
- Simple Chicken Enchilada RecipeI love Mexican and Tex-Mex food and enchiladas are right up there with my absolute favorites, so when I first made this simple chicken enchilada recipe, I was hoping for a good result, and I got it! The resulting enchiladas were really good, and the flavors were amazing. I hope you like them as much as we all did. Enchiladas are made by rolling corn tortillas around your chosen filling and then adding a spicy sauce and usually cheese on top. You can fiddle about with this recipe as much as you want because it would be hard to mess it up. Just add your favorite ingredients to the filling and top with your favorite toppings, using as many or .....
- How to Cook Fresh MusselsLearn how to cook fresh mussels and you will be able to prepare this delicious seafood whenever you’re in the mood. Mussels can be purchased or you can pick your own, depending of course where you live. If you are collecting your own then ensure the water is unpolluted. Mussels are nicer during the colder months which are not in the breeding season. If you are shopping for them, then shop around and choose ones with tightly closed shells. When cooked, you will want juicy, plump flesh and the taste of the sea. Mussels are white if male and orange if female, so color does not indicate freshness. Knowing how to cook fresh mussels means .....
- Hoisin Celery Wontons in Wonton SoupThis exciting Hoisin celery wontons recipe features a flavorful broth containing homemade pork, hoisin and Chinese celery wontons. It couldn’t be simpler to make and this makes a warming meal for the whole family. You can even make extra wontons and freeze them for next time. This Hoisin celery wontons soup recipe calls for soy sauce paste. Soy sauce paste is similar to soy sauce but thicker. If you can’t get it, just use the regular kind. Be careful not to add too much sesame oil; a little really does go a long way. You can find Chinese celery in any Asian grocery store and it is sweeter than regular celery. If you can’t get it then try .....
- Eating Authentic Mexican Food in MexicoI think it’s fair to say Mexican food has to be one of the most misunderstood cuisines of all. People who aren’t familiar with it assume it’s all tortillas, beef and chilies, while those who eat at fast food outlets might believe those dishes are more authentic than they are. Eating authentic Mexican food in Mexico isn’t difficult but there are lots of tourist places you ought to avoid if you want to be eating the real deal. And then you have Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex and all the other hybrids and regional variations, so it’s hardly surprising knowing what is authentic Mexican food and what is not can be confusing! .....
- Crab Rangoon WontonsCrab rangoon wontons are always popular at buffets and dinner parties. They make a great appetizer before a meat or poultry main course. You can garnish them with fresh dill if you like. Since dill is traditionally served with fish, this will indicate to your dinner guests that the wontons contain fish or seafood. Crab rangoon wontons are known as crab puffs in Pacific northwest states. They might also be called crab meat cheese, cheese crab wontons, crab pillows or crab cheese wontons. Regardless of how you call them, these crab rangoon wontons are always amazing. History of Crab Rangoon Crab rangoon has featured on Trader Vic’s menu since .....