This easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe makes a wonderful dinner. The duck combines perfectly with the roasted potatoes and you should also add your favorite green vegetable, or even some kind of salad on the side. A Greek salad would go well with this or consider some stewed red cabbage or similar.
You will need a couple of duck legs for this easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe, along with potatoes and thyme. The duck is fried skin side down in a roasting pan, then you can flip it over and add the potatoes.
Add thyme, salt and black pepper, and then you can roast the duck and potatoes for about an hour and a half or up to two hours. As soon as the potatoes are crispy and the duck meat is tender, you can serve this easy roast duck leg with potatoes.
This easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe makes enough for 2 people but it is very easy to double if you want to make more. The great thing about this dish is its simplicity.
What You Need to Make Easy Roast Duck Leg with Potatoes
All you need for this easy roast duck leg with potatoes are a few ingredients but you can tweak it any way you want, perhaps adding lemon juice or orange juice and dried herbs to the duck for a Mediterranean or Greek touch, sprinkle 5-spice over it for an Asian twist, or you can use some potato and some carrot, or some potato and some celery, or any other dense vegetables you want. If you want to use soft vegetables, like mushrooms or bell pepper, add them 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
This particular Hoisin duck brioche dish was inspired by a recent visit to Ruby, Exeter, where I enjoyed something very similar. Yep here I am dreaming of Ruby again!
Well anyway the duck and hoisin are beautiful together, along with the cucumber, and although I am more used to enjoying this mixture in pancake wraps, I found the brioche really good with them, since brioche is naturally sweet and chewy, and just seemed to complement the hoisin duck flavors.
What Goes with Hoisin Duck Brioche?
I enjoyed this Hoisin duck brioche with a peanut butter wolf cocktail when I was at Ruby’s but you might prefer something else depending on what time of day you’re having it.
I enjoyed my Hoisin duck brioche in between having the back window of our car smashed in and going to my father’s wake, so I felt the cocktail was justified at the time. Sometimes you just need some great food and a nice drink to take your mind off things.
Feel free to add other stuff to the Hoisin duck brioche buns if you wish, although I find the lettuce, green onions and cucumber to be enough contrast against the duck mixture. I ordered mac ‘n cheese on the side with this, which went very well in a ‘fusion’ kind of way! Ruby tell me they use a commercial smoker and duck legs, so my Hoisin duck brioche recipe is similar but not the same. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Easy to make yet sure to deliver a flavor that wows, duck breast a l’orange makes a fantastic dinner, whether you are serving it up to the family or considering what to make for a dinner party or special occasion.
Our duck breast a l’orange recipe combines duck breast with orange, Grand Marnier for a special touch, cream, and bouillon, and the result is a perfectly balanced dish. If you do not want to buy a whole bottle of Grand Marnier (or similar orange liqueur) just get a miniature, or even omit it if you prefer. This duck breast recipe is easy enough for any home cook to manage with ease, even if it is your first time cooking duck.
What to Serve with Duck Breast a l’Orange
Serve your duck breast a l’orange with potatoes and your favorite vegetables. I like mashed potatoes with this, and perhaps some asparagus or green beans. Save the duck fat after rendering it out because it is amazing to use for roasting potatoes or even cooking your green beans in.
This warm duck breast salad is one of my favorite recipes, and my husband especially loves this dish! It is really easy to make too, and a good introduction to the joys of working with duck breast. It does not take long to make. In fact you can have it ready in under half an hour, including both cooking and prep time.
This warm duck breast salad is filling enough to be the main dish, but if you were looking for an appetizer duck salad then simply use this recipe to serve 4 and it will make a tasty, filling appetizer dish, or even 6 if you don’t want such large appetizer servings.
Any leftover duck can always be refrigerated then used the following day to make tasty sandwiches. It will keep for a few days in the refrigerator actually, in a covered container. Chop it and add it to a risotto, pasta dish, pilaf, or something else.
The dressing is a simple 4-ingredient mixture which brings out the beauty of the duck flavor, while the salad can be anything you like, although keeping it simple with salad leaves, tomatoes and green onions is a good idea.
Duck legs are much simpler to cook than duck breast, although that is not difficult either. Moreover they are nearly impossible to overcook because of the fat content keeping them succulent. All you need for the following easy roasted duck legs recipe are duck legs, thyme, salt and pepper, although you can also cook potatoes in the oven with the duck if you wish.
Adding Potatoes to Your Easy Roasted Duck Legs
If you do want to cook potatoes with the duck, simply peel and chop or slice potatoes and arrange them around the duck in the oven, then they can cook together. The reason I usually roast the potatoes is because the fat coming out of the duck cooks them and crisps them up fantastically.
What to Serve with Easy Roasted Duck Legs
Alternatively this duck is fantastic with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable, such as broccoli, green beans, spinach, snow peas, or even mixed veggies. Leftover meat can be frozen for up to 3 months and thawed overnight in the refrigerator, then used cold or gently reheated.
These delicious galettes are easy and fast to make. You need to chill them partway through the recipe so you could make them in advance up until then if you are in a hurry. This duck galettes recipe is a highly unusual appetizer recipe which you might want to consider.
Duck Galettes Recipe: French in Origin
The correct term for one of these galettes is a ‘Breton galette’ since a galette is any kind of flat French savory cake, while a Breton galette means a flat, buckwheat pancake, so there is a difference.
Including duck and potatoes, this recipe is not your average starter recipe so if you are looking for something extra special perhaps this will fit the bill (no pun intended). The flavor is excellent and this dish is suitable for novices in the kitchen. Continue reading
- 7 Ways to Cook Salmon FiletsThere are plenty of ways to cook salmon filets, which is good news if you love this tasty, healthy fish. Salmon is one of the most popular choices when it comes to fish, along with tuna and cod. These 3 fish are often known as ‘the big 3’ because they are so popular. Salmon has a distinctive flavor which pairs well with just about any cuisine, whether you are adding teriyaki and sesame seeds, hoisin or soy sauce for an Asian feel, lemon and parsley along with white wine for a Western European dish, or even barbecue sauce, avocado and tortillas for a Tex-Mex feast. So what are some of the ways to cook salmon filets? Well salmon can be baked, .....
- Tasty Chinese SeasoningsLearning how to season your Chinese recipes is essential if you want them to be successful. Chinese seasonings can liven up plain dishes. The seasonings used in Chinese recipes create the special flavors which differentiate the regional styles. Sesame oil, oyster sauce, chicken broth and soy sauce are the most commonly used seasonings in Chinese cuisine. These Chinese seasonings can be added before, during or after cooking, depending on the recipe. If you are serving a dish with rice, the seasoning should be heavier than if you were serving it alone. Savory dipping sauces are often served with Chinese recipes, and the most popular Chinese .....
- Creamy Potato Salad with BaconPotato salad is always good but add bacon and you have a really mouthwatering side dish. The following creamy potato salad with bacon is a recipe which is very simple to make; the potato salad will keep for a few days once prepared. Serve it chilled or room temperature. Some people even like it served warm, as soon as it is made. Use boiling potatoes to make potato salad, not mashing potatoes which tend to disintegrate too easily. The choice of dressing is up to you. While a lot of people just use their favorite mayonnaise, you might prefer another kind of creamy dressing for this creamy potato salad with bacon, else you can use half mayo .....
- Chicken Livers Middle Eastern StyleChicken is one of the most popular meats worldwide, although many of us will gladly buy the breast or drumsticks but be hesitant about the livers – enter chicken livers Middle Eastern style. Once you know this recipe you will want to make it over and over! Once you try chicken livers though, you are sure to change your mind, because the flavor and texture are both very enjoyable, and these livers are really versatile too – a Middle Eastern flavor works very nicely, but there are plenty of other cuisines using these livers, each adding their own flavors and using their own take on flavors to complement the distinctive liver taste. .....
- Best Brussels Sprouts Side DishI admit I used to hate Brussels sprouts as a child, largely thanks to the way they were presented in an over-boiled, mushy heap (apologies to my mother if she’s reading this) but seriously, sprouts are not only healthy, they can be yummy too, as long as you cook them right! So, find out how to cook Brussels sprouts like a pro and make the best Brussels sprouts side dish of all. In the old days, this vegetable used to be boiled to soggy death in water, then plonked on the plate alongside the meat or poultry of choice, and kids everywhere (myself included) would leave them on the plate until they were cold, hoping they would just… .....
- Moroccan Appetizer RecipesExperimenting with food and flavors is part of the fun when discovering new recipes and Moroccan food is often considered to be exotic and exciting. Why not experiment with Moroccan appetizer recipes and discover a brand new flavor sensation? Authentic Moroccan cuisine is straightforward, yet full of distinctive flavors and aromas. There is no other cuisine quite like it. You might never have considered cooking Moroccan food before but there is a huge array of different Moroccan appetizer recipes to choose from and no matter which ingredients you like to use, or what taste you want to aim for, there is sure to be a perfect recipe for you to .....
- Kitchen Cookware Every Home Cook NeedsKitchen cookware means different kinds of pots and pans which you use for different things. Some cookware items can be substituted for things you don’t have and still do the job. You can get stainless steel cookware, induction cookware, professional cookware, extra safe cookware and Indian cookware including Benglali cookware to improve your culinary experience. Choose from cookware in different sizes and made of different materials, such as glass, aluminium, steel etc. Some materials are better than others for different purposes. Before buying any kitchen cookware though, you should consider a few things. Budget First of all, what is .....
- Exotic Mango and Chicken SaladThis tasty and exotic mango and chicken salad recipe is a fusion style appetizer, blending the flavors of southeast Asia. This creative cuisine has its roots in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia and this is a really juicy and flavorful starter recipe. You can either serve it on a big plate if you are making starters for a buffet or give everyone a plateful. Salad greens and tomato are great as a garnish and this is a great idea for a starter recipe. A Wonderful Asian Dressing The salad dressing used for this exotic mango and chicken salad is a combination of yogurt, ginger, lime juice and soy sauce. You could add some sesame seeds .....
- Chinese Calamari Szechuan StyleMany people enjoy Chinese recipes at least once a week, as the meals are simple to prepare and cook, making them quick and easy for everyone. Chinese appetizers can be enjoyed before a traditional Chinese meal, and many people enjoy this style before their normal main dish, Chinese or not. You might want to try this Chinese calamari Szechuan recipe and see how you find the spice and flavor. There are various authentic flavors from China which you will already be familiar with, and you can get many Chinese ingredients from the regular grocery store, although an Asian grocery store is your best bet if you want to stock up on such ingredients. .....
- Cauli Rice with Orange, Lime and CilantroCauliflower rice, or cauli rice as it is affectionately known, is a wonderful substitute for rice, offering a mere fraction of the calories and carbs or rice, yet offering a very similar texture and a neutral flavor. You can do so much with it and there are plenty of cauliflower rice recipes to choose from. This cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe is easy to prepare and it’s yummy! I like to use a medium or strong-flavored sauce to disguise the cauliflower flavor – not that cauliflower has much of a taste at all, but just to make it as rice-like as possible. Try Chinese rice with cauliflower instead of rice, or .....