When I worked in Gran Canaria I used to eat paella a lot. In fact I made friends with a local chef who used to make a special batch for me minus the peas (my pet food hate!) This rice-based delicacy was served with half a baguette, plenty of alioli, or ai oli (or garlic mayo) and perhaps a sangria on the side. At that time I had never even heard of a low carb paella using cauli rice because I was enjoying the real thing too much to deviate.
Try as I might, I could never tire of this wonderful Spanish dish. Fast forward a decade and I still love that flavor but my husband is diabetic and rice is a no-no. So I wondered at this point whether cauli rice would work, since it is great for making other cauliflower rice recipes like egg fried cauli rice and lots of other cauli rice recipes.
This is why I tried my hand at a low carb paella using cauli rice a couple of evenings ago. I thought I would add chicken and seafood, along with chicken broth, smoked paprika and saffron to get that authentic flavor, and considering the main ingredient was swapped for a paella rice substitute I have to say it worked really well! Continue reading
A beloved Mexican and Tex-Mex food, a burrito makes a great lunch, dinner or snack. And this is the best breakfast burrito recipe I ever tried! One modern trend is all about presenting this hearty delight first thing in the morning and calling it a breakfast burrito. So you can have your breakfast all rolled up neatly burrito-style. A breakfast burrito recipe will contain typical breakfast ingredients like potatoes, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, whatever else you like. These fillings will be hot and cooked, enclosed in a soft flour tortilla.
Burritos are wrapped or folded to enclose the filling, unlike a taco which is usually folded in half around the filling. Some people like to steam or lightly grill the tortilla to softed it, so it wraps around the filling more easily. Order a regular burrito in Mexico and you can expect meat and refried beans to be your typical filling. Head north of the border into the US though and you will find a wider variety of fillings like rice, beans, lettuce, salsa, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and, where breakfast burritos are concerned, even bacon, eggs and hash browns – hey, why not!
The word burrito translates from the Spanish to mean ‘little donkey’ and it is thought the name comes from the look of the bedrolls and packs donkeys used to carry. Try this best breakfast burrito recipe when a bowl of cereal simply isn’t enough to prepare you for the day ahead. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Gnocchi makes a change from pasta or pizza but is just as Italian. So if you are in the mood for Italian food but not something too, well, obvious, consider gnocchi! This dish, which comprises potato gnocchi, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella, is also known as gnocchi alla sorrentina. Gourmet gnocchi makes such a nice dinner. It’s the perfect balance between satisfying and delicate.
I like to add prosciutto to the dish but you could add serrano ham or regular ham instead (the thinly shaved kind) or else just leave it out, for a vegetarian result. You could even get creative here, adding shredded cooked chicken or similar, as a way of using up leftovers from last night’s meal.
What is Gnocchi Exactly?
Gnocchi is like a little dumpling made of potato and flour. You can make your own or grab a package from the pasta and rice aisle in the grocery store. Obviously it’s far easier just to grab some ready-made. If you add plenty of fresh ingredients you can restore a homemade flavor to the dish. We are adding cheese, tomatoes and ham, and this adds plenty of flavor and color, and it’s also really easy to make this simple Italian staple into a gourmet gnocchi meal ready to knock your partner’s socks off with big, bold flavors!
Serve this with some crusty bread, preferably ciabatta or another kind of Italian bread if you can get it, along with butter. Add a baby leaf salad and some kind of basic dressing like extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, and you have a delicious entree which everyone will love. This certainly makes an exciting change from the usual pasta recipes. Continue reading
Pizza comes frozen or from the pizza delivery place or from your local Italian restaurant. But wait, what about the best pizza? Well that would be the kind you make yourself at home! Honest, it’s so quick and easy to make pizza yourself and you don’t even have to make the dough. This homemade pizza on French bread will have the kids (and grownups) beating down the kitchen door, it smells so good!
The quickest pizza recipe probably has to be this tortilla pizza but next up you have baguette pizza or French bread pizza, which is French bread, French stick or baguette bread (however you call it) topped with tomato sauce and pizza toppings to make the most amazing appetizer or main dish.
Why Use French Bread as a Pizza Crust
French bread makes a great pizza crust since it is naturally crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. It really is so delicious! Top with your favorite sauce and toppings and you will find just anything goes. Get as inventive as you wish with a homemade pizza on French bread.
In addition to French bread being crispo and tasty, it holds the sauce and toppings really well, so the next time you fancy Italian food but not spaghetti carbonara or traditional pizza, consider this French bread pizza recipe and rustle up something quick, easy and above all… tasty! I like shrimp on mine, or maybe tuna or another kind of seafood. I just like seafood pizza. Oh, and smoked salmon – that is good too!
Yesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe.
Thai Food Inspiration
While I was having this massage, I was listening to Thai music, gazing around the room at Buddha statues, candles and Thai pictures, and afterwards sipping a Thai tea. So I guess I got a craving for Thai food! For this reason I decided to make tom kha gai, or Thai chicken soup, for lunch once I got home. I had most of the ingredients already, I just needed to grab some chicken and cilantro.
I found this authentic Thai chicke soup recipe quick and easy to put together and the flavor was wonderful. Making the chicken broth before sieving the ‘bits’ out and using it to make the actual soup is recommended. Just begin with all the ingredients laid out, plus one pot, one sieve and a serving bowl and spoon, and you will find this an absolute breeze to prepare.
This is a classic Italian dish made with spaghetti, bacon and eggs. There are different variations – some people add cream or cream cheese, some will add parsley or another herb, and others will use whole wheat spaghetti over white spaghetti. However you prefer it, an easy spaghetti carbonara recipe is well worth adding to your culinary repertoire.
The following recipe is really simple, even if you are a newbie in the kitchen, and the flavor is amazing. This is good served with mixed salad leaves dressed with vinaigrette. Learning how to make spaghetti carbonara is a great idea if you want to serve something impressive but only have 2 pots on the stove.
When I made this easy spaghetti carbonara, I chose to add some cream cheese. It wasn’t necessary (I mean, it would’ve been good without it) but I wanted some creaminess in there. The authentic spaghetti carbonara recipe is made without the addition of cream or cream cheese, but if you want to add some, well it’s your dish! I also added turkey because I had some to use up and that was great in there. Continue reading
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup RecipeThis delicious cream of cauliflower soup recipe is thick and creamy. If you want to make the best cream of cauliflower soup recipe, this is a very nice recipe to choose. Each serving offers 150 calories, 12g carbs, 4g protein and 10g fat. This makes a very nice lunch or appetizer. I often make curried soups but occasionally I like to make something creamy, and cauliflower is really good. Mashed cauliflower (like mashed potatoes but with cauliflower) is also very good, and I like to add cauliflower to curries. Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe: So Simple and Good What makes this cream of cauliflower soup recipe special is the simplicity of it. .....
- 7 Cauliflower Rice RecipesCauliflower rice, also known as cauli rice, is a low-calorie, low-carb alternative to regular rice. You can make it with a food processor or, if you don’t have one, a cheese grater. There are different ways to cook cauliflower rice recipes too, such as on the stove, in the oven, or even in the microwave. Although cauliflower obviously doesn’t share the exact same flavor as rice, you can get the appearance and texture very close. It is well worth knowing how to make cauliflower rice recipes, even if you are not trying to reduce your carb or calorie intake. Cauliflower is rich in protein, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, phosphorus, .....
- How to Cook Gammon SteakGammon steak is one of the most delicious treats you can have for your dinner. Learn how to cook gammon steak and you will be able to make a delicious meal. If you have not enjoyed this juicy treat in a while you might be in the mood for it tonight, in which case read on and find out how to prepare it like a pro for juicy and succulent results. Gammon steak cooks quickly and some people accidentally overcook it, which you will want to avoid. What is Gammon Steak Anyway? If you are in the UK you will probably already know what gammon is, but our friends across the Pond might not! Gammon comes from an Old Northern French word .....
- Plus-Size Fashion to Flatter Curvy GirlsAlthough many stores carry plus-size fashion clothing these days for curvy girls, there are also stores designed with plus-size girls in mind where you don’t have to rifle through the racks searching for your size and everything is generously proportioned. These days plus-size clothes are not what they used to be. There is so much more choice and you can get some gorgeous pieces, items designed to flatter your curves rather than hide them, and clothing to enhance your best assets while disguising your least favorite, and that is something every girl wants to do regardless of shape or size. Range of Plus-Size Fashion Choices Because of an .....
- Thai Fried Rice with ShrimpThis is very typical food in Thailand, and you can find Thai fried rice with shrimp (or chicken or another protein) served everywhere from a food stand on the street corner to a fine Thai food restaurant. There are different ways to make Thai fried rice with shrimp and you can usually specify which meat you want to have in there. When making Thai fried rice, you can use up any meats or seafood and veggies left in the refrigerator so if you have leftovers it is a great way to use them up. More about Thai Fried Rice with Shrimp Unlike Chinese fried rice and some other kinds, Thai fried rice comes with a wedge of lime on the side along with .....
- Beef and Avocado Wrap with Horseradish DressingIf you are looking for brand new lunch ideas, this beef and avocado wrap is certainly deserving of your consideration. Teaming juicy roast beef with fresh avocado and a homemade horseradish dressing, this is just so good. I had some deli beef and a tortilla in the refrigerator and decided to make a horseradish dressing rather than just spooning in some of the horseradish sauce. I also had half an avocado left over from some tortilla pizzas I made last night, so threw that in there too. The resulting beef and avocado wrap sandwich was amazing and I immediately went out and made another! Variations and Tweaks for a Beef and Avocado Wrap You .....
- Low Carb Mini Quiches RecipeWhether you serve these low carb mini quiches for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just as a snack, there is no doubt these mini quiches will satisfy your hunger. Eggs are a basic staple on low carb diets because they offer plenty of nutrients, they are filling and tasty, and there are so many recipes you can make with this versatile, budget ingredient. Eggs are great for vegetarians and pescetarians, as well as carnivores. Low Carb Mini Quiches: An Easy Freezy Idea! One great thing about this low carb mini quiches recipe is you can freeze the quiches, then just pop one in the microwave for half a minute. Make a big batch at once and you will .....
- Creamy Blue Cheese DipThis creamy blue cheese dip blends blue cheese with cream, mayonnaise and milk, with some lemon to add brightness and garlic to complement the flavor. Serve this with chips or vegetable crudites, or consider it as a side for your next buffalo chicken recipe, since the creaminess is the perfect contrast for the heat of the hot sauce. Creamy Blue Cheese Dip is So Easy to Make Making this creamy blue cheese dip is really easy blue cheese dipping sauce is simply a question of adding the ingredients to the food processor and pressing the button. Give it a few seconds and your dip will be ready to serve. If you don’t have a food processor .....
- Authentic Hot Russian Borscht SoupThis bright red, Russian soup is delicious and famous. Enjoyed all over the globe, the flavor is unmistakable and this is quite a healthy dish as well. It takes a while to put together so wait until you have a clear day then take your time making it lovingly, and the result will please you so much. Although borscht is usually served cold, a hot Russian borscht soup can also be very good, especially if the weather isn’t the best and you want to be warmed up. This nutritious recipe boasts onion, cabbage, potatoes and carrots, as well as the tasty beets which offer the distinctive flavor. You also have kidney beans in there, plus ketchup, .....
- Colorful and Easy Pearl Couscous SaladPearl couscous is also known as giant couscous or Israeli couscous. It is enjoyed with tomato paste and fried onion in Israel and usually fed to children, but in other countries it is served as an ingredient to substitute rice, potatoes or another starch. Try this pearl couscous salad if you’re looking for new ways to serve it or new homemade salad ideas. Pearl couscous can be served hot or cold. It does not clump as much as North African couscous (the smaller grains) and you can reheat pearl couscous without it losing its texture or shape. Have you seen it in the store? Next time you spot it on the shelf grab yourself a package .....