Corn is always good especially when you cook the fresh kind and slice it off the cob in sweet, juicy slices. I love this Monterey style sweet corn recipe as a side dish because it seems to complement just about everything from chicken or seafood to steak or game meats.
Why You Should Make This Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe
This dish is easy to prepare, attractively bright colored and is sure to appeal to even the youngest members of the family – those who are normally picky about vegetable-based sides!
I find about a tablespoon of jalapeno enough to give the the Monterey style sweet corn a bit of a bite, but of course some people prefer to add more while others want to omit all traces of spice from their food, so you be the judge here and adapt it to suit your own palate.
If you need to rustle this up in a hurry, you could use well-drained canned corn but honestly that doesn’t really do this south of the border inspired dish justice, so get some fresh ears of corn and make it from scratch. That way you will have a real explosion of flavor in your mouth with every mouthful.
Pasta salad is always a winning dish. It is cheap to make, you can use leftover cooked pasta or cook some in about 10 minutes, and there are all kinds of flavors you can add to this easy pasta salad with parmesan cheese.
In this recipe we are keeping with the Italian theme (although you might like to look at our Indian pasta salad for a wonderful fusion idea!) by incorporating parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
Although the tangy red wine vinegar dressing is good, sometimes I prefer to just use mayo for a super-simple dressing which boasts a lovely creaminess everyone is going to love. You can add other flavors to the mayo too, like mustard, spices or dried or fresh herbs, as you like.
Use white pasta for the best result – perhaps penne, shells or another favorite. For pasta salad, avoid the long kinds like spaghetti or linguine, and go for something that’s easy to pick up on the fork or scoop up in a spoon.
This recipe can be made quickly and easy, and it is an excellent pairing for everything from grilled chicken to burgers, steaks or even fish. Why not make a big batch for your next barbecue event or party? Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
I first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity.
Side Dish Options
What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to reheat in the microwave.
What Kind of Corn to Use
Although some people prefer to use fresh corn when making a pastel de choclo recipe, I usually just use the canned kind which is fine in this corn pie as long as you drain it properly. Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar. It helps with the caramelization but my husband is diabetic so I usually use half sugar and half sweetener. Continue reading
This omelet makes a great side dish for a curry if you don’t want to serve rice or naan bread or if you are looking for low carb side dish ideas. You can also eat it by itself as a meal or snack. This is the best Indian omelet recipe to choose if you are looking to spice things up a little and enjoy a brand new flavor.
What is in the Best Indian Omelet Recipe
Along with the eggs which are of course the main ingredient in any omelet, we are using spinach, shallots, cilantro, turmeric and chili.
You can omit the spinach if you want, or replace it with sliced mushrooms. You can also swap the shallots for a small yellow onion or omit the chili pepper if you don’t want it spicy.
Making the best Indian omelet recipe is simply a matter of combining the ingredients then cooking the omelet in a skillet. I like to wilt the spinach first but you don’t have to do that unless you want it really soft. It cooks in the omelet anyway. Continue reading
Using peanut butter instead of tahini is a great idea if you want a great-tasting and easy hummus recipe which boasts plenty of nutrition from the peanut butter. Our easy hummus recipe with peanut butter will appeal to everyone, old or young, because it is creamy and flavorful.
This hummus recipe without tahini is very simple to make and you can serve it as a dip, perhaps with celery or pita bread, or use it as a spread in sandwiches, pairing it with chicken and cucumber or salad leaves and sliced boiled egg.
How to Make Hummus Without Tahini
You will need a food processor or blender to combine the ingredients for this hummus, then you can simply transfer it into a serving dish.
The garbanzo beans, which are also known as chickpeas, can be cooked fresh ones or well-drained canned ones. Use fresh lemon juice if you have it, and you will also need salt, natural creamy peanut butter and fresh garlic.
We like to drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle on some parsley and paprika, since they add to the flavor and also look great but you can omit those if you prefer.
Dieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work?
Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low.
The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the interim phase) healthy carbs such as sweet potatoes and strawberries as well as the bad ones like ice cream and soda.
White rice, white pasta, processed foods, pastries and high-sugar sodas are largely responsible for obesity, at least to a degree.
Nobody ever got fat eating too many strawberries. Well, not unless they top them with mountains of ice cream anyway. Continue reading
- Vietnamese Summer RollsThe first time I saw a photo of Vietnamese summer rolls I just thought ‘wow’! I love spring rolls (egg rolls) because of their wonderful crispy exterior, but summer rolls are slightly different, still oozing Asian character but featuring a very different coating and a more subtle, fragrant characteristic which you will love. These are lovely in the summer (hence the name) but perfect served as an appetizer or light meal any time of the year. What are Vietnamese Summer Rolls? A summer roll is a Vietnamese dish made by enclosing a filling in a soft rice paper wrap. Typical ingredients used to make the filling include shrimp, pork, .....
- Ginger Roasted Pork with ThymePork tenderloin suits flavors like fruit, apple or even ginger, which is why we are using ginger in this roasted pork recipe. Along with thyme, the ginger gives the pork a really good flavor, and after the pork is cooked, we are giving it a couple of minutes under the broiler just to crisp up the top and caramelize the preserves, adding a mouthwatering sweetness and crunch. This ginger roasted pork recipe is sure not to disappoint. This is wonderful served with mashed potatoes and perhaps some roasted vegetables. You might want to arrange some chopped veggies around the pork and roast them together. Leftover pork can be served with potato .....
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing with Sour CreamThis buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream is one of the best salad dressing recipes I’ve made in a while. I just had it with baby kale, deli beef, parmesan, crispy fried onions and raisins, and it made a really nice meal. If you use low-fat mayonnaise you can get a large serving of this buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream for about 90 calories, or else you can use regular mayo if you prefer. A Perfect Ranch Flavor I didn’t have fresh chives when I first made this buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream so I used dried. I think fresh would work better, so I will make sure I have some of that next time. I used the .....
- Spanx Control UnderwearWomen’s control underwear is the easy, pain-free way of smoothing out those love handles as well as your belly and other bits and pieces you would prefer weren’t there. Maybe you already own Spanx control underwear to keep those wobbly bits under control. Browse and shop for all the best control underwear and wear figure-hugging skirts and dresses once more. Control panties are just as comfortable as regular panties. The material stretches and holds you in, and you will forget you are wearing them. Spanx Control Underwear : Plenty of Choice Body contouring undergarments are available from lingerie stores and you can also buy this .....
- Finnish Beef and Onion Pasties RecipeA wonderful quick recipe which features beef, onion and more. These little Finnish beef and onion pasties are one of our most interesting starter recipes and they are so easy to make. Serve these Finnish beef and onion pasties hot, warm or chilled and you can guarantee they will be popular. In fact you might want to double up the recipe, especially if you are catering for a buffet or a big gathering. Not Too Different from British Food Not everyone is accustomed to eating Finnish food but these Finnish beef and onion pasties could pass for British cuisine. The tasty pastry encloses the beef filling and these hot little treats will certainly .....
- Pesto Spaghetti with Easy MeatballsThis is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it! Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like. We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some .....
- Steamed Vegetable Wontons with BroccoliThis recipe combines broccoli, green onion, carrot, garlic and Asian condiments for a vegetarian-friendly wonton recipe. The wontons are steamed so you do not have to use any fat in the recipe either. If you are looking for something healthy and nutritious, which is easy enough for a beginner home cook to put together then you might be interested in this steamed vegetable wontons with broccoli recipe, especially if you like steamed dumplings. Wontons can be deep-fried, steamed, cooked in a soup or baked, but steaming gives them a lovely texture and cooks them gently. Make sure the filling is well mashed up before adding it and don’t .....
- 1950s Kitchen StyleRetro is very popular right now and if you are thinking about designing your kitchen in a 1950s decor style it is quite easy to find 1950s kitchen style accessories. With a retro style 50s kitchen you can incorporate the funky 50s look with a modern 21st century kitchen. The 1950s were an optimistic, prosperous and conservative time and entertainment was revolutionized with the invention of televisions, rock and roll and new movies. Fifties Kitchen Style Airy, open floor plans were popular and kitchens were being outfitted with new stainless steel and chrome appliances, which make cooking easier and faster. Pastel colors like pink, yellow, .....
- Baked Beef Wontons with Bell PepperThe following recipe shows you how to make baked beef wontons which also contain bell pepper for a colorful finish. Baking wontons is an alternative to frying them if you happen to have the oven on anyway or if you want to trim the fat content. These delicious little morsels make wonderful appetizers and it is up to you what shape you make them – open so you can see the beef and colorful bell pepper filling, or closed so the filling is a surprise. Tips and Tricks for Perfect Baked Beef Wontons You could even make moneybags by pinching the tops closed so they look like moneybags, but most people like to leave these open, so people can .....
- Electric Cookware for the KitchenTechnology has become a huge part of everyday life, and every area of your home will have some form of electrical item to make life easier. The kitchen is no exception, and there are many different electrical cookware items which will enhance your cooking experience. Perhaps you already have all the electric cookware for the kitchen, or it could be you are considering some new purchases. One thing is for sure, and that means you won’t be short of choice, because there are so many wonderful items to choose from. Alongside the traditional pots and pans, you are likely to see many new high tech cookware items. From electric griddles and .....