Pasta salad is always a winning dish. It is cheap to make, you can use leftover cooked pasta or cook some in about 10 minutes, and there are all kinds of flavors you can add to this easy pasta salad with parmesan cheese.
In this recipe we are keeping with the Italian theme (although you might like to look at our Indian pasta salad for a wonderful fusion idea!) by incorporating parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
Although the tangy red wine vinegar dressing is good, sometimes I prefer to just use mayo for a super-simple dressing which boasts a lovely creaminess everyone is going to love. You can add other flavors to the mayo too, like mustard, spices or dried or fresh herbs, as you like.
Use white pasta for the best result – perhaps penne, shells or another favorite. For pasta salad, avoid the long kinds like spaghetti or linguine, and go for something that’s easy to pick up on the fork or scoop up in a spoon.
This recipe can be made quickly and easy, and it is an excellent pairing for everything from grilled chicken to burgers, steaks or even fish. Why not make a big batch for your next barbecue event or party? Continue reading
I first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity.
Side Dish Options
What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to reheat in the microwave.
What Kind of Corn to Use
Although some people prefer to use fresh corn when making a pastel de choclo recipe, I usually just use the canned kind which is fine in this corn pie as long as you drain it properly. Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar. It helps with the caramelization but my husband is diabetic so I usually use half sugar and half sweetener. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
This omelet makes a great side dish for a curry if you don’t want to serve rice or naan bread or if you are looking for low carb side dish ideas. You can also eat it by itself as a meal or snack. This is the best Indian omelet recipe to choose if you are looking to spice things up a little and enjoy a brand new flavor.
What is in the Best Indian Omelet Recipe
Along with the eggs which are of course the main ingredient in any omelet, we are using spinach, shallots, cilantro, turmeric and chili.
You can omit the spinach if you want, or replace it with sliced mushrooms. You can also swap the shallots for a small yellow onion or omit the chili pepper if you don’t want it spicy.
Making the best Indian omelet recipe is simply a matter of combining the ingredients then cooking the omelet in a skillet. I like to wilt the spinach first but you don’t have to do that unless you want it really soft. It cooks in the omelet anyway. Continue reading
Using peanut butter instead of tahini is a great idea if you want a great-tasting and easy hummus recipe which boasts plenty of nutrition from the peanut butter. Our easy hummus recipe with peanut butter will appeal to everyone, old or young, because it is creamy and flavorful.
This hummus recipe without tahini is very simple to make and you can serve it as a dip, perhaps with celery or pita bread, or use it as a spread in sandwiches, pairing it with chicken and cucumber or salad leaves and sliced boiled egg.
How to Make Hummus Without Tahini
You will need a food processor or blender to combine the ingredients for this hummus, then you can simply transfer it into a serving dish.
The garbanzo beans, which are also known as chickpeas, can be cooked fresh ones or well-drained canned ones. Use fresh lemon juice if you have it, and you will also need salt, natural creamy peanut butter and fresh garlic.
We like to drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle on some parsley and paprika, since they add to the flavor and also look great but you can omit those if you prefer.
Dieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work?
Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low.
The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the interim phase) healthy carbs such as sweet potatoes and strawberries as well as the bad ones like ice cream and soda.
White rice, white pasta, processed foods, pastries and high-sugar sodas are largely responsible for obesity, at least to a degree.
Nobody ever got fat eating too many strawberries. Well, not unless they top them with mountains of ice cream anyway. Continue reading
This is a wonderful side dish to have with chicken, pork or another kind of meat, or you could enjoy it by itself for lunch or a light evening meal. Thai fried rice with egg is similar to the Chinese egg fried rice you might be more familiar with. We are just including typical Thai flavors instead of Chinese ones.
This only takes about 5 minutes to make because you are warming up the rice, cooking the vegetables to al dente (which doesn’t take long) and cooking shrimp (which doesn’t take long either!) If you prefer to use chicken or another protein, shredded cooked chicken can be tossed in at the end with the green onions, and just warmed through. You can also omit the chicken for a vegetarian version of the dish.
What Else is in Thai Fried Rice with Egg?
Known as khao phat in Thai (since khao means rice and phat means stir-frying) this dish is often made with shrimp, chicken or crab, along with onion, garlic and perhaps tomatoes as well.
Traditionally Thai fried rice is made with Thai jasmine rice, but you can use any kind of leftover cooked rice to make it. Fish sauce and soy sauce are typical flavorings, and we also love a little oyster sauce in the mix. A pinch of sugar is good if you want to add sweetness. Continue reading
- Beef and Avocado Wrap with Horseradish DressingIf you are looking for brand new lunch ideas, this beef and avocado wrap is certainly deserving of your consideration. Teaming juicy roast beef with fresh avocado and a homemade horseradish dressing, this is just so good. I had some deli beef and a tortilla in the refrigerator and decided to make a horseradish dressing rather than just spooning in some of the horseradish sauce. I also had half an avocado left over from some tortilla pizzas I made last night, so threw that in there too. The resulting beef and avocado wrap sandwich was amazing and I immediately went out and made another! Variations and Tweaks for a Beef and Avocado Wrap You .....
- Easy Spaghetti Bolognese SauceThis easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce is so good. Once you have made it you will never want to use a jar of spaghetti sauce again! Making your own is always best and this recipe is so easy as well. Featuring ground beef and red wine for a full flavor, this easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce also includes garlic sausage or bacon, as well as garlic and mushrooms, for a gourmet flavor. In fact this easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce would be special enough to serve at a dinner party. Everyone loves Italian food and serve this over fresh spaghetti with a sprig of green basil on top for a beautiful meal. Serve a glass of Italian red wine on the side to add .....
- Anchovy Wrapped OlivesThis anchovy wrapped olives recipe is very simple and shows you how to make anchovy wrapped olives. The recipe is perhaps one of the simplest you have seen, since you only need two different ingredients to make it, and this basic salty snack is beautiful whether you enjoy it with a cold beer, a glass of wine, a soft drink or even a warm beverage. Anchovies are salty, fishy and have an interesting texture, while olives are smooth, soft and the pimento filling is somewhat sweet. Anchovy Wrapped Olives: Making Your Own When paired, these two ingredients offer a beautiful savory flavor and a wonderful balance. These anchovy wrapped olives are .....
- Squid Cooking TipsCooking squid is not difficult and it is important to be aware of that. Too many cooks quit before they even begin, not knowing how straightforward this type of seafood is to prepare. Read the following squid cooking tips and find out how to prepare and cook this wonderful ‘fruit of the sea’. Step by Step Guide If you are faced with a whole squid the first thing you need to do is pull the tentacles away from the body. Reach up inside the body for the quill, which is going to feel like a shard of plastic. Pull this down, out of the squid, and throw it away. Rinse inside the ‘hood’ (squid body) with cold running water. .....
- How to Prepare a Cheese BoardA cheese board or cheese platter is always a popular sight at the table, whether served as a starter or after the meal. There are no hard and fast rules about setting up a cheese platter but we offer you some tips about putting together a tasty selection of cheeses. Learn how to prepare a cheese board and you will be able to rustle up this snack, appetizer or dessert alternative anytime the mood strikes. Choosing the Cheeses Aim for diversity in appearance, flavor and style. You might want to offer a hard cheese, a soft cheese and a blue cheese for example. Or you can serve three semi hard cheeses which are similar in texture but offer .....
- Gluten Free Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese RecipeThis grilled lettuce with goat cheese is a delicious starter recipe and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. This might be a simple recipe but it tastes really good. You might not have cooked lettuce before but it is perfect in this delicious gluten free recipe. Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese: Uh, Cooked Lettuce – Really? Yes, you really can cook lettuce and not end up with a watery mess in the pan. That does not apply to all lettuce though and you will need to choose something which holds its shape quite well like Little Gem or Romaine. The lettuce just needs to be heated up and crisped on the surface touching the pan. .....
- Fresh Mexican Soup RecipesIf you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming. Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody. Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is .....
- Types of ShowersShowers have become popular additions to bathrooms all over the world as more people become aware of saving water. Another reason for having a shower fitted is to save space, and for many people this is vital. You can choose between a variety of different types of showers to suit your needs and budget. Before rushing out to purchase a new shower, you will need to consider several different elements, which will determine the style of shower that you choose. You will need to think about the amount of people in the household, and your current heating system. The right shower should cater to all your needs and suit you perfectly. Choosing a .....
- How to Make a Cassoulet the French WayA cassoulet is a slow-cooked casserole with meat (usually pork sausage, duck, mutton or goose) as well as white haricot beans and pork skin. This dish originated in the South of France, and is named after the casserole dish it is made in. Discover how to make a cassoulet the French way and you will be able to rustle up this wonderful meaty treat any time comfort food is the order of the day. There are lots of regional variations on cassoulet, although all of them feature white beans. Crackling (crispy fried pork rind) and fried bread cubes are often scattered on top before serving. Is your mouth watering yet? If not, keep reading and it will .....
- Risotto Stuffed SquidThis Italian-inspired risotto stuffed squid recipe makes a delicious dinner and it is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Calamari is often battered and deep-fried but in this recipe it is stuffed with tasty risotto and cooked on the grill or griddle, then served in slices for a beautiful presentation. What Kind of Squid to Use for Risotto Stuffed Squid You can use whatever size squid you like. Use smallish ones (the width of your palm) and each person can eat 2 or even 3, or use larger ones and 1 per person should be sufficient. The size of the squid affects the cooking time (bigger squid take longer to become tender) but not the .....