Eggplant has a unique flavor and it works really well as a gratin, when you add a crispy crumb topping and get it really crispy and golden brown. This eggplant gratin could be a side dish for chicken, fish, meat, or even a vegetarian entree served with bread or another starch on the side.
Tasty Versatile Eggplant Gratin
Eggplant, known as aubergine in some places, is easy to find, and you can do plenty with it such as making the classic dish moussaka, in which it is layered with ground meat, or you can batter it and deep-fry it for a crispy snack, or even take a look at the following eggplant gratin recipe and discover this brand new idea for eggplant.
Learning how to make rice salad is very easy and there are so many different ways you can prepare this delicious dish. Rice salad is perfect for lunch or as part of a buffet, and you can also serve it alongside steak or with chicken or fish. Absolutely anyone can make rice salad recipes and once you are familiar with the recipe you can experiment with other ingredients to make the dish taste different.
How to Make Rice Salad: Simple Yet Perfect
There are not many steps you need to make this dish, which is why it is so simple. If you enjoy being creative in the kitchen you will love making it because you can be imaginative with what goes into it. That’s right, learning how to make rice salad is supremely simple.
First you need to cook your rice in a pot on the stove, then drain it and let it cool. Stir in some mayonnaise or another kind of dressing, then add meat, fish, seafood, chicken, vegetables, fruit, herbs, spices, or anything else you fancy. The resulting dish will be unique and wonderful.
Different Rice Salad Recipes
Perhaps you fancy a creamy rice salad made with mayonnaise or sour cream, adding some crunch with peanuts and some fruity sweetness with banana or strawberry slices, or perhaps you would prefer to make a healthy rice salad with lemon vinaigrette and some finely chopped raw veggies and herbs.
Some More Hot Content For You
This oven roasted tomatoes with garlic recipe is perfect if you want a side dish. Combining the natural sweetness of fresh tomatoes with garlic and herbs, this is such a simple recipe and it makes a change from the usual platter of roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob or broccoli.
Not that there is anything wrong with those of course but sometimes it’s nice to have a change of pace. Everyone loves tomatoes whether they are canned, fresh, cherry, plum or another kind, because this vegetable (well, technically a fruit) goes with just about everything. Try this oven roasted tomatoes with garlic dish and you’ll see how delicious they can be.
Very easy to prepare, you simply need to slice your tomatoes and then add the oil and seasonings and roast them in the oven. Tomatoes do not take long to cook because they are soft and high in water content. Continue reading
Also known as omurice or omu-rice, omuraisu is a typical Japanese dish featuring fried rice and omelet, and often some ketchup too. Omuraisu is a contraction of the Japanese words for omelet and egg. This omuraisu recipe is not hard to make and you will love the flavor.
This dish can be found in Western style restaurants in Japan as well as in Japanese homes, and it was also introduced to Korea under Japanese rule. You can find it in Taiwan too which was also under Japanese rule for some time. This dish has been around since the early 1900s.
Different Kinds of Omurice
Chicken rice, chicken and vegetable rice or beef rice can be wrapped in a thin fried egg sheet to make an omuraisu recipe. Sometimes ketchup or white sauce is added to the rice. Continue reading
These delicious spicy Thai corn fritters are so quick and simple to put together and they make a tasty appetizer or side dish.
All you need to make these is some corn kernels (you can use drained canned corn, or even thawed corn kernels), a little flour and an egg. Then to finish off you just need some minced or finely chopped chili pepper and a little Thai fish sauce.
How to Serve Thai Corn Fritters
Try these as a side dish or appetizer, or make them as the main dish, perhaps with some tasty salad on the side. You might like to make a batch of Thai appetizers to showcase these, so everyone can try different Thai treats, or else just make these as they are and serve with rice or else just a simple Thai dipping sauce. Continue reading
This is a quick and easy side dish which is very low in calories but goes perfectly alongside any Indian meal, especially if it is something creamy. Try this spinach chickpea side dish with a curry or even over rice.
Often, with Indian food, you will want to contrast your dishes, so for example if you have something creamy you will want something very savory or even acidic to go alongside it.
If you are serving something spicy, you might wish to serve something sweet with it. Contrasts make the whole meal harmonious and well balanced.
The following spinach chickpea side dish recipe features spinach and chickpeas (or garbanzo beans, as they are also called). I wanted to make something which would go well with chicken tikka masala but didn’t want to take the rice/noodles/naan bread route, so I came up with this dish which was incredibly good. Continue reading
- Fun Facts About WontonsLet’s have a look at some fun facts about wontons. Did you know that the word wonton comes from Cantonese, not Mandarin? These tasty little dumplings are believed to have been introduced to the West by early Chinatown settlers from Canton, Southern China. Wonton literally means “swallowing clouds” in Chinese. Cantonese ones are wrapped in a yellow wrapper made from egg and flour. They often contain shrimp and ground pork. The broth is often made from shrimp shells and other flavorful ingredients. What are some other fun facts about wontons? In Shanghai the wrapping is flour-based and thicker and whiter than in Canton. The filling will .....
- Easy Blender Milkshake RecipeMaking a milkshake in the blender is incredibly easy and you just need to add milk, ice and some fruit, press the button and within a few seconds you will have a tasty, creamy and frothy drink to enjoy. An easy blender milkshake recipe is worth adding to your repertoire and you will love the flavor. One of the most unusual recipes is our almond and rosewater milkshake and you can scroll down for that recipe. Our red apple milkshake is also wonderful. Once you have mastered these you can start making up your own milkshakes, throwing in anything you want. What to Add to an Easy Blender Milkshake Recipe Use canned fruit (drain it if it is a .....
- Easy Beef Chow MeinAn easy beef chow mein is one of the tastiest Chinese dishes and if you are in the mood to rustle up your own, rather than ordering takeout, you can expect not only to save money but also to be able to enjoy a superior, more authentic flavor. You can make this easy beef chow mein in about 15 minutes flat, maybe less, and enjoy it for lunch or dinner. Different Types of Chow Mein Chow mein translates to mean fried noodles. Chow means ‘fried’ and ‘mein’ means noodles. There are 2 main variations of the dish – Hong Kong style which is with crispy noodles, or steamed chow mein. In this recipe we are pairing beef and .....
- Healthy Mediterranean SaladBoasting all kinds of delicious ingredients from lettuce and tomatoes to corn, olives, oregano, and a stunning oil and vinegar dressing, this salad offers a true taste of the Mediterranean, and it makes a lovely side dish for any fish, meat or poultry dish. Consider this healthy Mediterranean salad recipe if you want a fresh and seasonal side dish. Alternatively you can serve it as an appetizer. I can’t stress enough how important it is to wash your lettuce properly because there might be little worms or caterpillars in there (yes, I found one last week!) So separate the leaves and use a salad spinner after rinsing the lettuce in cold .....
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing with Sour CreamThis buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream is one of the best salad dressing recipes I’ve made in a while. I just had it with baby kale, deli beef, parmesan, crispy fried onions and raisins, and it made a really nice meal. If you use low-fat mayonnaise you can get a large serving of this buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream for about 90 calories, or else you can use regular mayo if you prefer. A Perfect Ranch Flavor I didn’t have fresh chives when I first made this buttermilk ranch dressing with sour cream so I used dried. I think fresh would work better, so I will make sure I have some of that next time. I used the .....
- Pork and Shrimp Wonton SoupThese flavorful pork wontons feature shrimp, ginger, green onion and more. Try pork and shrimp wonton soup for your supper tonight and enjoy the fresh flavors. Pork and shrimp wontons are usually served in authentic wonton soup recipes and if pork and shrimp go together better than you might imagine. If you have ever tried bacon-wrapped shrimp, you will know this is a match made in heaven. Pairing pork and shrimp means you will have a delicious wonton filling for your wontons. In addition to the pork and shrimp, the wontons feature ginger, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine and more, for a traditional wonton feel and a mouthwatering finish. How to .....
- Retro Shades and Vintage SunglassesSo what is the appeal of groovy shades? Shades, or sunglasses, come in many styles and designs, and although there are plenty of modern ones a lot of people like to go for the retro style sunglasses which often appear in vintage clothing stores, and on Amazon and eBay. Consider retro shades if you want a cool look. Whether you are looking for some classic vintage Chanel sunglasses or something fun made with brightly colored plastic, there are lots of old-fashioned styles you can get, and retro shades are even cooler than a lot of modern ones. Pick out something that suits the shape of your face as well as your personality and not only can .....
- How to Sear Scallops without StickingSearing scallops is so simple, and searing them without sticking is just down to ensuring your pan is hot enough when you add them, and also down to adding enough fat. I know firsthand that learning how to sear scallops without sticking can be a frustrating learning curve. Scallops aren’t cheap and ruining a batch by cooking them wrong is a costly mistake! You will need to use oil or butter (I like to use both) to stop them sticking and you will also want to wait until the fat begins to smoke before adding those scallops. How to Sear Scallops without Sticking Pro Tip: Get the Pan Really Hot! If your pan is hot enough the scallops will .....
- Hot Herring Starter Recipe with Mustard SauceMustard and white wine sauce goes beautifully with many types of fish and herring is no exception. The following hot herring starter recipe combines potatoes, herring, onion and mustard sauce for a full flavored starter recipe. The herring is flavored with lemon juice and grilled, the potatoes are boiled and the onion is served raw, to make a crunchy and piquant garnish. How to Serve this Hot Herring Starter This fish appetizer is suitable for a buffet table or a dinner party. Just serve it with a big serving spoon and let people help themselves. You can serve extra mustard sauce on the side if you like, as well as underneath the potato .....
- Creamy Mushroom StroganoffThis creamy mushroom stroganoff recipe is so good. Combining mushrooms with onion and celery, this nutrient-rich dish is flavored with mixed herbs, basil and stock. You can use chicken or vegetable stock, as you wish. A little parsley and some sour cream is all you need to add to this mixture to finish it off well, perfecting both the flavor and texture of the dish. You might be more familiar with beef stroganoff but this exciting creamy mushroom stroganoff dish is also nice when you use an earthy vegetable to make it and mushrooms are idea. Celery also goes well in this. You can use full-fat or reduced-fat sour cream or crème fraîche to .....