Food and Drink Reviews
Poke (pronounced po-kay, let’s get that out of the way first!) is currently a huge craze here in Houston, and actually nationwide. There are poke restaurants springing up all over the place as this tasty way of serving seafood takes off. Talking of ‘springing up’ there is a new poke restaurant in Spring, just north of Houston and south of The Woodlands. Spring is part of the Houston-Sugar Land-Woodlands metropolitan area. Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring, is one of the newcomers to this seafood lovers’ arena.
This poke restaurant opened just a few weeks back, occupying Howie’s Tiki bar until 9pm when Howie’s opens. Hawaiian Poke Co serves traditional poke, Hawaiian fusion food and other tasty treats during the daytime and early evening, and then you can stay on for the cocktails and cool Tiki atmosphere.
I’m quite a newbie to poke, although I’ve loved sashimi for years. I like my sashimi very, very cold and very, very thinly cut – typically Japanese. But poke is not prepared like that. Instead you can expect larger chunks of fish and different flavors than sushi dishes typically offer. Poke isn’t the same as sushi or sashimi and you need to try it for yourself to enjoy what this delicacy really has to offer.
Head to an authentic restaurant offering classic poke and they will take pride in using fresh (not thawed) Hawaiian-caught tuna to make their poke. Hawaiian Poke Co uses only the finest fish, since that is the main ingredient in poke, and it’s a shame not to use the best if you want to get the best tasting poke. Continue reading
Before I move on to my experience at the Manor House at the Houstonian, allow me to share just a little bit of background. My husband and I moved to Houston last year, in July to be precise, and we wasted no time diving into Houston’s amazingly diverse culinary world.
We ate at so many different places, trying to get a feel for what was popular locally and, well, simply enjoy these gastronomic experiences. We tried chain restaurants, Mom ‘n Pop places, Japanese, Korean, Southern, French… well actually, a little bit of everything.
And you know what I realized first? Two things. First… Texans like their food. Whether it’s barbecue, fast food, takeout, whatever – the portions need to be hot and they need to be satisfying. Second… there is a lot of competition in Houston. A lot of options. Open a mediocre restaurant and you’re not going to be in business for long, because we locals know what’s what. Since last summer I’ve had the pleasure of dining at many local eateries. And yes, you’d better offer great food if you want to do well. Continue reading
Brewing systems come in different shapes and sizes, so you can choose whatever of the best beer brewing systems is best for you. This device will allow you to make your own beer or other drinks at home without having to lift heavy brew kettles.
You can choose from beer, wine, cider, mead, and other drinks using the process of fermentation. You can make non-alcoholic or alcoholic drinks with these systems.
It’s Legal, Right?
Well, the legality of home brewing does vary from place to place, although it has been done in various places all over the globe for over 7000 years.
If you fancy making your own beer, why not have a look at some of the best beer brewing systems for sale on places like Amazon or eBay? Making your own drinks from scratch is fun and your friends will be sure to visit you to test out your delicious homemade produce. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Popcorn is a delicious snack but how do you make it without using oil? Actually there are various ways to make popcorn without oil, so forget the fattening microwave kind which is laden with salt and grease, and grab some plain unpopped kernels instead. They are surprisingly cheap, which is another bonus.
An ounce of those contains just 1 gram of fat. You can pop these kernels yourself without needing any fat.
What You Will Need to Make Popcorn without Oil
Grab yourself 1/3 cup of plain kernels, a medium to large pot with a tight-fitting lid, some oven mitts or an oven glove, and some salt or another flavor to add to your finished dish. You can use more or less popcorn depending how much you want to make, but if you’re using a lot then you will need to cook it in batches because of course it expands a lot and needs room to pop. Continue reading
If you aren’t sure what to give as a gift, then a gourmet food gift basket is a wonderful idea. Giving the gift of food never gets old. Everyone loves to eat and there are gift baskets for every budget and taste. Choose from the best gourmet food gift baskets to find the perfect one for the occasion.
You can get themed gift baskets, perhaps with a range of delicious cheeses and some crackers, or you might prefer something offering nuts, cookies, preserves, wine and more, so there is definitely something for everyone in there.
Best Gourmet Food Gift Baskets: Some Ideas
Give a gift hamper to a family, couple or individual and personalize it by adding a special message. You could make your own food gift hamper but then you would need to purchase the hamper, all the items to go inside plus some straw, shredded paper or other stuffing, and then shrink wrap plastic around it and attach bows or ribbons.
It is far easier and quicker to simply order one online, and you can check other people’s gift basket reviews before you buy, to help you make a good choice about the best gourmet food gift baskets. Continue reading
Flavorful Items to Complement Your Diet
This calorie free food is for anyone looking for items which do not contain calories, carbohydrates, fat or sugar. Doesn’t that sound exciting!
Their range includes fruit spreads, regular and flavored mayo, pouring syrups, salad dressings, pasta sauces, whipped peanut spreads, dips for chips or fruit, condiments, and more.
These products contain no carbs either, so you can enjoy as much as you want. But what do these calorie free food products actually taste like? I have bought a selection of them recently, to try them out for myself, and I have to say some are better than others. Continue reading
- Hummus Recipe No TahiniYou can make a perfectly delicious hummus recipe no tahini in a couple of minutes. In fact a hummus recipe without tahini is just as good as the traditional kind. However you choose to enjoy your hummus – served as a dip with breadsticks or veggie crudites, or paired with homemade falafel in pita bread, you will love this version. As well as the chickpeas, which are also known as garbanzo beans, you are going to need oil, garlic, lemon, cumin and salt. Those ingredients will help you get the right hummus recipe no tahini texture along with the perfect flavor. You might want to thin it with a bit more water and/or add more salt to get .....
- How to Get a Job in Gran Canaria and Live ThereSo you’re interested in working in sunny Gran Canaria? I have plenty of handy information to share with you about moving to Gran Canaria, living there and working there, so read on! Whether you want a job in Gran Canaria or you’re just curious, I can share my experiences with you. Gran Canaria is one of the Canary Islands and is situated off the coast of North Africa. With great weather all year round, Gran Canaria is a great tourist desination and somewhere you can work all year round if you are a member of the EC or have a visa to work in Europe. What Type of Work is There? If you are willing to accept a bar job in Gran Canaria .....
- Ruby’s Copycat Peanut Butter Wolf CocktailI first tried this gorgeous peanut butter wolf cocktail at Ruby Burgers in Queen Street, Exeter, currently my favorite American diner style restaurant in England! Although I don’t know the exact recipe they use, I have a copycat recipe for peanut butter wolf cocktail here which tastes very similar if you wish to recreate the flavor of this cocktail in your own home. It’s not the healthiest beverage but hey, festive times are a-coming and it’s always worth having a cocktail recipe like this up your sleeve! And consider trying my copycat version of their hoisin duck brioche too! Delicious Ingredients for Peanut Butter Wolf .....
- Bone Broth Recipes and Bone Broth BenefitsBone broth is a slow-cooked soup made from animal bones which are filled with magnesium and calcium, along with collagen. This beverage is a great addition to any diet, especially if you have skin problems, immunity issues or digestive trouble, because it can help with those. There has been a lot of talk lately about how to make bone broth recipes, with people wondering not only how to get the ingredients and make it, but also why it is so popular and what nutrients it includes. Combined with apple cider vinegar (to coax the minerals out of the bones) and seasonings or vegetables, bones make a tasty, nutritious broth which will keep for .....
- Baked Stuffed Zucchini BoatsLow in calories but high in flavor, this wonderful baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe is sure to please your palate. The middles of the zucchini are scooped out and then you can add a wonderful ham and cheese filling, and bake them to perfection. This is a very easy baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe which is nice served with Spanish rice or risotto, and just as nice served alone as a savory snack. If you want to make this dish vegetarian friendly, simply omit the ham, or else you might like to swap it for shrimp, salmon, walnuts, or pretty much anything else. Tweak the Filling to Make It Your Own The main ingredients in this baked stuffed .....
- Omuraisu Recipe – Japanese OmeletAlso known as omurice or omu-rice, omuraisu is a typical Japanese dish featuring fried rice and omelet, and often some ketchup too. Omuraisu is a contraction of the Japanese words for omelet and egg. This omuraisu recipe is not hard to make and you will love the flavor. This dish can be found in Western style restaurants in Japan as well as in Japanese homes, and it was also introduced to Korea under Japanese rule. You can find it in Taiwan too which was also under Japanese rule for some time. This dish has been around since the early 1900s. Different Kinds of Omurice Chicken rice, chicken and vegetable rice or beef rice can be wrapped in a .....
- Chicken Biryani with DrumsticksThis tasty Indian dish, chicken biryani with drumsticks, offers an incredible flavor and it is not difficult to prepare. I had my first authentic Indian biryani when I was backpacking around India and the flavor really blew me away. This recipe originated in the Indian subcontinent or Persia, and it is enjoyed all over Central and South Asia, as well as in the Middle East. Rice, spices and meat and/or vegetables are the main ingredients. Biryani may be compared to pulao rice but biryani is usually cooked with layered meat and rice and pulao is not layered at all. Chicken biryani with drumsticks is usually a main dish while pulao tends to be .....
- Quick ‘n Easy Lemon and Lime SalmonThis is an incredibly easy recipe and a great way to prepare salmon. Here we are adding lemon and lime juice to the fish, along with lemon and lime zest if you like. You could stick to either lemon or lime or, like I prefer to do, use some of each for a more interesting flavor in this lemon and lime salmon recipe. Add the zest too if you want, to add more citrus flavor to the salmon and also to add a decorative touch. Last time I made this lemon and lime salmon recipe, I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over the salmon. I wasn’t sure whether my husband would like it because he hates celery and celery seed is a major ingredient in Old .....
- Baked Beef Wontons with Bell PepperThe following recipe shows you how to make baked beef wontons which also contain bell pepper for a colorful finish. Baking wontons is an alternative to frying them if you happen to have the oven on anyway or if you want to trim the fat content. These delicious little morsels make wonderful appetizers and it is up to you what shape you make them – open so you can see the beef and colorful bell pepper filling, or closed so the filling is a surprise. Tips and Tricks for Perfect Baked Beef Wontons You could even make moneybags by pinching the tops closed so they look like moneybags, but most people like to leave these open, so people can .....
- Beef and Potato Rissoles RecipeThese hot, tasty treats make a really delicious appetizer, so consider this beef and potato rissoles recipe if you want to make a hearty, delicious dish. The parsley, dill and thyme go really well with the beef and the currants and pine nuts add texture and flavor. Rissoles are quick and easy to make and you can serve them on a platter of lettuce leaves if you like. What are Rissoles? So what is the difference between a rissole and a hamburger patty, you might be wondering. Actually they are quite similar but a hamburger is often made with just meat and perhaps some seasonings, while rissoles often feature all kinds of added ingredients like .....