How to Make Salsa in the Food Processor
Salsa in a jar is usually an underwhelming experience, which is why making your own is such a good idea. Not only is making salsa very easy, but you are going to end up with something really delicious which you will be proud to serve with your tacos, fajitas, Mexican salad, or even with a bowl of your favorite chips, for dipping. Learn how to make salsa in the food processor and you can whip this up in mere minutes whenever you want it.
Low Calorie but High Flavor
Because tomatoes are very low in calories and they are the main component of the dish, salsa is a great choice if you want to make a low calorie dip. Knowing how to make salsa in the food processor is a great skill to have. Just make sure you have plenty of chips too.
Salsa makes the most delicious treat and it keeps for a few days after you have made it, although giving it a stir before serving is a good idea. I usually make enough for several days then end up eating most of it because it is so good! My husband also really likes it. Well actually who doesn’t like salsa?
I never made salsa before I had a food processor but it’s like the food processor is just made for making salsa. Just throw in the ingredients and pulse until the mixture is the consistency you want, anything from rustic and chunky to super-smooth. The choice of course is all yours.
You will find you already have most, or all, of the ingredients, so if you are in the mood for homemade salsa why not whip up a bowl of it? In about 5 minutes time you will have the most delicious dip to tuck into, with your choice of chips or crudites.
How to Make Salsa in the Food Processor: Staple Salsa Ingredients
Tomatoes are the main ingredient of tomato salsa, of course, although there are other varieties featuring corn or black beans for example as the main ingredient.
This salsa recipe is one I have made a number of times and each time I am really pleased with how it comes out.
The color is vibrant red while the cilantro stands out vibrant green. This salsa not only tastes fresh but it looks and smells really fresh too, and that appetizing aroma is sure to make you want to whip up a batch of it.
How to Make Salsa in the Food Processor: Making Tweaks
Feel free to tweak the recipe. I usually use a pinch of sweetener instead of the sugar and chili powder rather than fresh chilies, unless I happen to have some.
This recipe makes a large quantity so you will need a big food processor. Else it is easy enough to halve the recipe and make less of the salsa. It is quick to make but do give it an hour in the refrigerator (at least) before serving, to maximize the flavor.
I usually make mine chunky but you can go for a smoother finish if you wish. It is your salsa after all.
Of course if it is too chunky you can pulse it a few more times but there isn’t much you can do if you over-process it. If that happens you will just need to eat it smooth!
- 28 oz (800g) can tomatoes in juice
- 20 oz (560g) Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ½ cup (25g) cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 thinly sliced jalapeno chili
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ chopped yellow onion
- ¼ teaspoon white sugar
- Juice from ½ a lime
- Put all the ingredients in the food processor.
- Pulse until you have the texture you want.
- Chill for at least an hour before using, to let the flavors blend and soften.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Discovering the Latest Modern Bathroom TrendsModern bathroom trends can suit every style, taste and budget, regardless of where you are in the world. More people than ever before are investing time and money into their bathrooms, and you will be amazed at the huge array of different trends available. There are several different ways that you can improve the look and feel of your bathroom with modern bathroom trends including a variety of different accessories and fittings. Creating the Perfect Environment You need to consider the overall feel that you want to achieve in your bathroom, and decide on your budget before you go shopping. Some of the latest modern trends are expensive so .....
- What to Expect from Cheilectomy SurgeryA cheilectomy operation is a surgical procedure which is done to remove bone spurs from the big toe. If you suffer from big toe pain or stiffness, big toe arthritis or hallux rigidus, this operation might help you. You will want to know what to expect from cheilectomy surgery if you or a loved one are going to have this surgery. I am writing this lens about what to expect from cheilectomy (sometimes misspelled kailectomy or chilectomy) because I had the procedure myself nearly 2 years ago. I want to share my own experience and tell you what to expect. I also have some great tips, as someone who has been through a cheilectomy surgery. This .....
- Charming Chicken PotstickersThese chicken potstickers are so good. One is never enough. Ten is too many. Well maybe. They’re just so tasty you’ll want to keep popping them into your mouthy! Potstickers are an Asian delight, and these little snacks are usually filled with meat and vegetables, along with Chinese seasonings. Pork is often used, but here we are using chicken instead. This chicken potstickers recipe is very simple to make and the potstickers make fantastic appetizers, whether you want to serve hot snacks with drinks, or a first course before your entree at dinner. You can use turkey if you prefer it to chicken. Along with the poultry these .....
- British Bangers and Mash RecipeWhat is bangers and mash, you might be wondering, and how do you make a British bangers and mash recipe? Well, one of the most popular examples of British comfort food, bangers and mash is a dish of bangers (sausages) with mash (mashed potatoes). It is usually served with thick brown onion gravy drizzled over the top. I like to use plenty of onions in this British bangers and mash recipe or even forgo the sauteed onions and make a delicious onion gravy. You can use any gravy you want, either making it the lazy way with gravy granules or, if you prefer, making your own from scratch. What Kind of Sausages for a British Bangers and Mash Recipe? .....
- Hoisin Duck BriocheThis particular Hoisin duck brioche dish was inspired by a recent visit to Ruby, Exeter, where I enjoyed something very similar. Yep here I am dreaming of Ruby again! Well anyway the duck and hoisin are beautiful together, along with the cucumber, and although I am more used to enjoying this mixture in pancake wraps, I found the brioche really good with them, since brioche is naturally sweet and chewy, and just seemed to complement the hoisin duck flavors. What Goes with Hoisin Duck Brioche? I enjoyed this Hoisin duck brioche with a peanut butter wolf cocktail when I was at Ruby’s but you might prefer something else depending on what .....
- Wonderful WontonsIf you are looking for an easy wonton recipe to impress your family, you are sure to find some very tempting wonton recipes right here. Everyone loves wonderful wontons and they are so easy to prepare. Maybe you are keen to try out meat wontons, fish wontons, dessert wontons, fried wontons, baked wontons or one of the best wonton soup recipes. There are so many wonderful wontons you can try! There are various ways to wrap wontons and ways to cook wontons so whether you fancy a crunchy filled wonton or a soft dumpling-like one, we have the best wonton recipes for you. It is easy to be spoilt for choice because all of these easy wonton recipes .....
- Best Gourmet Food Gift BasketsIf you aren’t sure what to give as a gift, then a gourmet food gift basket is a wonderful idea. Giving the gift of food never gets old. Everyone loves to eat and there are gift baskets for every budget and taste. Choose from the best gourmet food gift baskets to find the perfect one for the occasion. You can get themed gift baskets, perhaps with a range of delicious cheeses and some crackers, or you might prefer something offering nuts, cookies, preserves, wine and more, so there is definitely something for everyone in there. Best Gourmet Food Gift Baskets: Some Ideas Give a gift hamper to a family, couple or individual and personalize .....
- Folding Bikes ReviewA folding bike will fold into a compact form when not being used, which makes both storage and transportation easier. Fold the bike after using it and it can be carried into your apartment easily or stored in your car. You can also transport a folding bicycle on a plane or boat. Find out which one is the best for you by reading a folding bikes review and prepare to enjoy your new ride. The folding mechanisms for such bikes vary and each kind of mechanism differs, so it pays to examine the different kinds available and consider such things as how many parts the bike comes in, the folding ease and speed, how compact the bike is, how much it .....
- Apple and Parsnip Soup RecipeParsnip is a great ingredient for soups because it goes well with other vegetables or with fruit and has a great flavor. You can grow your own parsnips if you live somewhere cold because they don’t reach their peak until they’ve had a couple of hard frosts. This apple and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make and really good for any season. It makes pretty good comfort food too! Beautiful Flavor Combo This apple and parsnip soup recipe is warming and what I especially love about it is the combination of sweet and savory it offers. The apple is of course sweet while the parsnip is mostly savory but with a special, natural sweetness .....
- Types of Bath Tubs and Bath TapsBathrooms are an essential part of every home, and they can be as modern or traditional as you desire. Every element of the bathroom can suit your taste and needs, ensuring that this room in your home is perfect. There are different types of bath tubs to choose from you can get the result you really want. There are essential items which all bathrooms need, including a sink, toilet, and shower or bath. If you are fortunate enough to have a large bathroom you can have both. Many people cannot live without their bath tub, and some will spend hours relaxing and soaking away their stresses after deciding which of the types of bath tubs is best .....