How to Make Salsa in the Food Processor
Salsa in a jar is usually an underwhelming experience, which is why making your own is such a good idea. Not only is making salsa very easy, but you are going to end up with something really delicious which you will be proud to serve with your tacos, fajitas, Mexican salad, or even with a bowl of your favorite chips, for dipping. Learn how to make salsa in the food processor and you can whip this up in mere minutes whenever you want it.
Low Calorie but High Flavor
Because tomatoes are very low in calories and they are the main component of the dish, salsa is a great choice if you want to make a low calorie dip. Knowing how to make salsa in the food processor is a great skill to have. Just make sure you have plenty of chips too.
Salsa makes the most delicious treat and it keeps for a few days after you have made it, although giving it a stir before serving is a good idea. I usually make enough for several days then end up eating most of it because it is so good! My husband also really likes it. Well actually who doesn’t like salsa?
I never made salsa before I had a food processor but it’s like the food processor is just made for making salsa. Just throw in the ingredients and pulse until the mixture is the consistency you want, anything from rustic and chunky to super-smooth. The choice of course is all yours.
You will find you already have most, or all, of the ingredients, so if you are in the mood for homemade salsa why not whip up a bowl of it? In about 5 minutes time you will have the most delicious dip to tuck into, with your choice of chips or crudites.
How to Make Salsa in the Food Processor: Staple Salsa Ingredients
Tomatoes are the main ingredient of tomato salsa, of course, although there are other varieties featuring corn or black beans for example as the main ingredient.
This salsa recipe is one I have made a number of times and each time I am really pleased with how it comes out.
The color is vibrant red while the cilantro stands out vibrant green. This salsa not only tastes fresh but it looks and smells really fresh too, and that appetizing aroma is sure to make you want to whip up a batch of it.
How to Make Salsa in the Food Processor: Making Tweaks
Feel free to tweak the recipe. I usually use a pinch of sweetener instead of the sugar and chili powder rather than fresh chilies, unless I happen to have some.
This recipe makes a large quantity so you will need a big food processor. Else it is easy enough to halve the recipe and make less of the salsa. It is quick to make but do give it an hour in the refrigerator (at least) before serving, to maximize the flavor.
I usually make mine chunky but you can go for a smoother finish if you wish. It is your salsa after all.
Of course if it is too chunky you can pulse it a few more times but there isn’t much you can do if you over-process it. If that happens you will just need to eat it smooth!
- 28 oz (800g) can tomatoes in juice
- 20 oz (560g) Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ½ cup (25g) cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 thinly sliced jalapeno chili
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ chopped yellow onion
- ¼ teaspoon white sugar
- Juice from ½ a lime
- Put all the ingredients in the food processor.
- Pulse until you have the texture you want.
- Chill for at least an hour before using, to let the flavors blend and soften.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Baked Chicken Breasts with TomatoesThis easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes dish is a wonderful recipe for busy weeknights. All you need to do is add the chicken with the other ingredients to an ovenproof dish and then bake it until the chicken is cooked through. Yes it really is that easy to make this wonderful easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes meal! Recipes like this appeal to the whole family from the smallest to the most senior, and you can either make the recipe as it is written, or take a look in your refrigerator and see which vegetables you have which can be used up. Serve the finished baked chicken with asparagus and mashed potatoes, with broccoli and .....
- Best Loaded Nachos Comfort Food StyleSo you want to make the best loaded nachos comfort food? You’ve come to the right page. Very few dishes offer as much as nachos do, and that includes the wonderful flavors combining spicy with creamy with mild, as well as textures because you have all kinds of those, ranging from soft to crunchy. Nachos can be served as a snack, appetizer or meal, and homemade nachos are, of course, the best! The following best loaded nachos comfort food recipe combines nachos with beef, homemade pico de gallo, cheese, spices, and more. But this is your recipe so you could take inspiration from the photo and use leftover roast beef instead of the .....
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Cauli Rice with Orange, Lime and CilantroCauliflower rice, or cauli rice as it is affectionately known, is a wonderful substitute for rice, offering a mere fraction of the calories and carbs or rice, yet offering a very similar texture and a neutral flavor. You can do so much with it and there are plenty of cauliflower rice recipes to choose from. This cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe is easy to prepare and it’s yummy! I like to use a medium or strong-flavored sauce to disguise the cauliflower flavor – not that cauliflower has much of a taste at all, but just to make it as rice-like as possible. Try Chinese rice with cauliflower instead of rice, or .....
- Make Popcorn without OilPopcorn is a delicious snack but how do you make it without using oil? Actually there are various ways to make popcorn without oil, so forget the fattening microwave kind which is laden with salt and grease, and grab some plain unpopped kernels instead. They are surprisingly cheap, which is another bonus. An ounce of those contains just 1 gram of fat. You can pop these kernels yourself without needing any fat. What You Will Need to Make Popcorn without Oil Grab yourself 1/3 cup of plain kernels, a medium to large pot with a tight-fitting lid, some oven mitts or an oven glove, and some salt or another flavor to add to your finished dish. You .....
- Easy Summer Appetizer IdeasOne of the things that brings people together is the enjoyment of food. There are few things better than gathering around a table on a summer evening to snack and relax with friends. And there are easy summer appetizer ideas for all palates and occasions, so you won’t be stuck for choice. What makes appetizers so appealing when compared to full meals? Appetizers are usually bite size, making them easy to eat while socializing, and a table full of different options is far more exciting than committing to just one meal or flavor. Many summer appetizer ideas are not only easy to eat, but also easy to prepare. Cold appetizers are .....
- Best Chicken Caesar SaladThis is an amazing recipe and something I make often. In my opinion this is definitely the best chicken Caesar salad you can make. Sometimes I roast chicken legs and then make this without the chicken, and serve the two together. Caesar salad is something I love and it is one of my favorite salads. I always have Caesar dressing in the refrigerator and serve it with buffalo chicken sometimes since ranch dressing is something unheard of where I live. Although this best chicken Caesar salad recipe uses mayonnaise in the dressing rather than raw eggs, it is still really nice. A lot of people don’t like using raw eggs in recipes or .....
- Super Low Calorie Cajun Lime Stir FryLow in calories yet sky-high in flavor, this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry is something you will want to make regularly. Vegetables such as bell peppers, celery, carrot and mushrooms are combined with tomato concentrate, Cajun seasoning and lime juice to make a simple yet wonderfully flavored dish. Work out the calories and it is only about 100, which is very low indeed. The bell peppers are the main ingredient in this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry, supported by the other veggies, but you can swap the vegetables for others if you wish. Broccoli, zucchini and okra would all work in our low calorie Cajun lime stir fry recipe. The sauce is .....
- 1930s Kitchen Ideas for a Retro FeelA 1930s kitchen was considered to be a product of the streamlined era, and included several different trends both modern and retro. You can introduce 1930s kitchen ideas into your own kitchen to bring a touch of this charming era into the room where you cook, spend time and perhaps where everyone tends to gather at parties. By the 1930s homeowners had begun to enjoy decorating their homes and wanted their kitchens to be modern and trendy. There were many time-saving gadgets available, and housewives enjoyed organization and had far less clutter. 1930s Kitchen Ideas: Appliances and Accessories Kitchens became a key place for the whole family .....
- How to Get a Job in Gran Canaria and Live ThereSo you’re interested in working in sunny Gran Canaria? I have plenty of handy information to share with you about moving to Gran Canaria, living there and working there, so read on! Whether you want a job in Gran Canaria or you’re just curious, I can share my experiences with you. Gran Canaria is one of the Canary Islands and is situated off the coast of North Africa. With great weather all year round, Gran Canaria is a great tourist desination and somewhere you can work all year round if you are a member of the EC or have a visa to work in Europe. What Type of Work is There? If you are willing to accept a bar job in Gran Canaria .....