Anchovy and Melon Salad Recipe
This anchovy and melon salad recipe is a simple and easy dish which tastes very good. The citrus and melon flavors go perfectly with the fish while the watercress sprigs make a pretty garnish. If you are low on time, why not have a go at this easy anchovy and melon salad recipe?
Aromatic Healthy Melon
Melon is so nice to use in a salad because it has a unique and very refreshing flavor. This simple anchovy and melon salad recipe is one of our more interesting starter recipes and it is especially nice to serve in the summer when you are looking for something refreshing.
Tasty Little Anchovies
Anchovies are usually associated with pizza toppings or sometimes served as they are, tapas-style, which is of course very popular in Spain. A lot of people assume because they don’t like them on a pizza they don’t like them period, but give anchovies another try and you might just find you love this anchovy and melon salad recipe because it’s so different and the contrasting flavors are so incredible.
Don’t underestimate the appeal of these little fish though, because their saltiness makes them fun to add to recipes, whether you want to make the recipe more fishy and/or salty, or add some contrast to it by adding something as unusual as this.
- 50g (1¾ oz) canned anchovy filets
- Juice of a lemon
- Juice of an orange
- 1 melon
- Watercress sprigs, for garnish
- Check the melon is ripe by pressing the stalk end gently and seeing if it gives a bit.
- Also, a ripe melon will smell.
- Halve the melon and discard the seeds.
- Using a melon baller, scoop the flesh into a serving dish.
- If you don't have a melon baller, you can cut the flesh into small cubes.
- Drain the anchovies, keeping a tablespoon of the oil.
- Cut the anchovies into slivers and add to the melon.
- Combine the fruit juices with the reserved anchovy oil and pour over the salad.
- Chill for an hour then serve garnished with the watercress sprigs.
This anchovy and melon salad recipe is an unusual dish and you can make it exactly as the recipe says or change it to suit your palate better. Anchovies are underrated, often seen as fit only to top a pizza, but they are fantastic in salads and you can make a really unusual recipe using them, such as this one. Although the recipe just calls for anchovy, melon and citrus juice, many people like to serve the salad on a bed of mixed greens, and you can also add grapes, cherry tomatoes and any other colorful ingredients you want to use to make it special and unique.
Image courtesy of Larry Halff, on Flickr.com
Some More Hot Content For You
- Crab Rangoon WontonsCrab rangoon wontons are always popular at buffets and dinner parties. They make a great appetizer before a meat or poultry main course. You can garnish them with fresh dill if you like. Since dill is traditionally served with fish, this will indicate to your dinner guests that the wontons contain fish or seafood. Crab rangoon wontons are known as crab puffs in Pacific northwest states. They might also be called crab meat cheese, cheese crab wontons, crab pillows or crab cheese wontons. Regardless of how you call them, these crab rangoon wontons are always amazing. History of Crab Rangoon Crab rangoon has featured on Trader Vic’s menu since .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Easy Starter Recipe IdeasStarter recipes as they are called in the UK, or appetizer recipes as they are known in the US, are little snacks which are served before the main dish. There are easy starter recipe ideas to suit every occasion. There are hot and cold starter recipes that everyone can prepare, no matter whether you happen to be a newbie in the kitchen or an experienced and seasoned chef. So what are you planning to make as your New Year’s Eve starter recipes? A parma ham and melon starter, prawn cocktail, cheeseballs, canapes or something else? Keep reading if you are still looking for New Year’s Eve appetizer inspiration. Easy Starter Recipe .....
- Dim SumDim sum, which translates to mean ‘to dot your heart’ refers to small dishes eaten as snacks. These can be baked, deep-fried, steamed or braised, and they are presented well and delicious too. Examples of dim sum include har gao, steamed shrimp dumplings in a rice flour pastry, char siu bao, which are roast pork-filled steamed buns, lor bak ko, which is turnip cake, and woo kok, which is shrimp with Chinese mushrooms. A lot of dim sum restaurants also offer congee porridge, soups, steamed green vegetables and roasted meats. The serving size is small and you usually get three or four pieces in one dish. Dim sum is eaten with a cup .....
- 4 Budget Hotels in the South of Gran CanariaThere are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy. Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams. Some More Hot Content For You Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with Feta Bling Bling iPad Cases Elegant .....
- Stovetop Shepherd’s PieIf you are in the mood for shepherd’s pie and wondering whether it can be made if you don’t have an oven, the answer is yes, you will be pleased to hear. Try this stovetop shepherd’s pie for dinner. The kids will love it and so will you! Shepherd’s pie is like cottage pie but made with lamb (hence the shepherd reference) rather than beef. This is something which appeals to kids and adults alike, because everyone loves the harmony you get when combining the juicy meat mixture with the wonderful potato topping. Some home cooks will make their stovetop shepherd’s pie recipe quite basic, topping a gently flavored .....
- Artichoke Dip RecipeHaving a party? Try this artichoke dip recipe! This is a great dip which is ideal with crackers or crudites such as celery and carrot slices. This artichoke dip recipe is also delicious with warm toasted bread. Artichokes are something a lot of people overlook in the grocery store but they are really nice, and you can use fresh or canned ones in so many recipes, such as baked pasta dishes and soups. A lot of artichoke dips feature spinach but this one doesn’t, just to make it more unique. The artichoke offers plenty of flavor of its own and does not require backup in the form of spinach. The dip comes out an off-white color because of .....
- Chinese Chicken SaladChinese chicken salad is a tasty, nutritious option and it makes a wonderful lunch. Perhaps you usually have ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or Italian dressing over mixed leaves and you are getting tired of it. Or it could be you are simply looking for new lunch inspiration. Whichever is the case, this Chinese chicken salad is very simple to prepare and the flavors work wonderfully together. What is Chinese Chicken Salad? You can use a julienne peeler to cut the vegetables into matchstick shapes, or if you don’t have one cut them by hand. We are using romaine and baby leaves in this dish too, along with grilled chicken, edamame .....
- Mango Bubble Tea RecipeBubble tea is an ice cold drink dotted with chewy tapioca pearls. The popularity of this beverage has grown so sharply recently you can find bubble tea shops all over the place these days. It is actually hard to walk past one and not go in and treat yourself to one of these wonderful treats. A mango bubble tea recipe always goes down nicely. Like many things you buy from a shop or cafe, bubble tea can work out expensive if you buy a lot of them, making it worthwhile learning how to make bubble tea yourself at home. The mango bubble tea recipe is super-easy and you can experiment with all different flavors. What is Bubble Tea and Where is It .....
- An Introduction to Breda for VisitorsBreda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents. Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe. Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was .....