Anchovy and Melon Salad Recipe
This anchovy and melon salad recipe is a simple and easy dish which tastes very good. The citrus and melon flavors go perfectly with the fish while the watercress sprigs make a pretty garnish. If you are low on time, why not have a go at this easy anchovy and melon salad recipe?
Aromatic Healthy Melon
Melon is so nice to use in a salad because it has a unique and very refreshing flavor. This simple anchovy and melon salad recipe is one of our more interesting starter recipes and it is especially nice to serve in the summer when you are looking for something refreshing.
Tasty Little Anchovies
Anchovies are usually associated with pizza toppings or sometimes served as they are, tapas-style, which is of course very popular in Spain. A lot of people assume because they don’t like them on a pizza they don’t like them period, but give anchovies another try and you might just find you love this anchovy and melon salad recipe because it’s so different and the contrasting flavors are so incredible.
Don’t underestimate the appeal of these little fish though, because their saltiness makes them fun to add to recipes, whether you want to make the recipe more fishy and/or salty, or add some contrast to it by adding something as unusual as this.
- 50g (1¾ oz) canned anchovy filets
- Juice of a lemon
- Juice of an orange
- 1 melon
- Watercress sprigs, for garnish
- Check the melon is ripe by pressing the stalk end gently and seeing if it gives a bit.
- Also, a ripe melon will smell.
- Halve the melon and discard the seeds.
- Using a melon baller, scoop the flesh into a serving dish.
- If you don't have a melon baller, you can cut the flesh into small cubes.
- Drain the anchovies, keeping a tablespoon of the oil.
- Cut the anchovies into slivers and add to the melon.
- Combine the fruit juices with the reserved anchovy oil and pour over the salad.
- Chill for an hour then serve garnished with the watercress sprigs.
This anchovy and melon salad recipe is an unusual dish and you can make it exactly as the recipe says or change it to suit your palate better. Anchovies are underrated, often seen as fit only to top a pizza, but they are fantastic in salads and you can make a really unusual recipe using them, such as this one. Although the recipe just calls for anchovy, melon and citrus juice, many people like to serve the salad on a bed of mixed greens, and you can also add grapes, cherry tomatoes and any other colorful ingredients you want to use to make it special and unique.
Image courtesy of Larry Halff, on Flickr.com
Some More Hot Content For You
- Crock Pot Beef Stew Gluten-FreeNot being able to eat gluten doesn’t mean not being able to enjoy beef stew, and it is perfectly possible to make this tantalizing dish without the gluten. This crock pot beef stew gluten-free dish is a wonderful dish for the cooler months. It is tasty, filling and packed with amazing flavors. The whole family will enjoy this crock pot beef stew gluten-free recipe and you will find it easy to put together. This stew boasts beef, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion, as well as carrots for sweetness and color. Beef broth (choose a gluten-free one of course, or use a homemade one) and bay leaves add more accents to the flavor, as does .....
- Exact Copycat IHOP Pancakes RecipeIf you love the flavor and texture of IHOP pancakes you are not alone. These delicious, fluffy treats make a wonderful breakfast, teamed with maple syrup or another type of syrup if you are kind of hungry, or eggs, bacon and the whole enchilada if you have a raging appetite! I wanted to make copycat IHOP pancakes so I could prepare them at home. Perhaps you are in the mood for this authentic IHOP pancakes recipe but you don’t really want to get in the car and drive, in which case try the following recipe because the texture and flavor will be just like the IHOP pancakes you know and love. Copycat IHOP Pancakes – Beautiful Lazy .....
- Dairy Free Cantaloupe and Prawn StarterThis dairy free cantaloupe and prawn starter recipe is also nut free and soy free, as well as dairy free. The delicious prawn salad is served inside a cantaloupe melon, making this a very attractive starter recipe as well as a delicious one. You can either cut the cantaloupe melons into wedges and serve them with the salad or use this recipe as the centrepieces for a buffet table. This is a colorful and appetizing starter recipe. Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter: Tweaks You Can Make You don’t have to use the melon at all for this seafood starter recipe if you don’t want to and a bed of salad leaves is fine instead. Use baby spinach, .....
- Creamy Mushroom StroganoffThis creamy mushroom stroganoff recipe is so good. Combining mushrooms with onion and celery, this nutrient-rich dish is flavored with mixed herbs, basil and stock. You can use chicken or vegetable stock, as you wish. A little parsley and some sour cream is all you need to add to this mixture to finish it off well, perfecting both the flavor and texture of the dish. You might be more familiar with beef stroganoff but this exciting creamy mushroom stroganoff dish is also nice when you use an earthy vegetable to make it and mushrooms are idea. Celery also goes well in this. You can use full-fat or reduced-fat sour cream or crème fraîche to .....
- Best Concealer for Dark CirclesAttempting to find the best concealer for dark circles may be daunting; however, there are some incredible products available, which can help with this common problem. Many women suffer with dark circles, which can be caused by numerous reasons. Lack of sleep, age, allergies and a poor diet can all result in your eyes appearing tired and darker than average. Ensure Your Eyes Look Incredible Your eyes are one of your best features, and they should look incredible at all times to give you confidence, and make you feel sexy. Natural remedies are often advised but using a top quality concealer, is a fantastic way to ensure that your confidence .....
- Spicy Veal Crackslaw with MushroomsI spotted some ground veal in the grocery store last week and, since I had never tried it before, decided to use it to make veal crackslaw. I am always looking for new ideas. Crackslaw is always good but I can get bored with beef at times. You can use any kind of ground meat to make crackslaw and I like veal escalope, so I thought why not see how ground veal works out? I combined the veal with mushrooms and other veggies, as well as all the Asian seasonings crackslaw is famed for, and the results were impressive. I really liked it! As well as the veal, I used a package of sliced veggies including mushrooms and leeks, to make this veal .....
- Elegant Squid with Pistachio and LemonThis recipe is a little unusual, at least more unusual than most stuffed squid recipes. Not only does it look delicious but the tangy chili sauce is the perfect partner for the tender seafood, another great reason to prepare this fantastic dish. Squid with pistachio might be hard to imagine but believe me, it’s the stuff of dreams! The squid is stuffed with a pistachio and lemon infused brown rice which is really filling, and the sauce can be served on the side, like you see in the picture, or you can drizzle it over the plates and arrange the squid slices on top, as you wish. If you want to change this recipe a bit you can use fresh .....
- Best Braised Lamb Shanks in Red WineLamb shanks are a wonderful thing to serve on a cold day, so as fall arrives and winter rolls in, stock up on these meaty treats and you can braise them to make the most delicious meals. Braising means slow-cooking in liquid, and you can choose from beer, wine or other liquids. There is plenty of meat on a lamb shank and the flavor is phenomenal. I especially love this braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe because the flavors are so amazing. So Much Appeal in this Dish Lamb shanks smell incredible while they cook and the flavor will drive you half-crazy with anticipation! The following braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe is easy to make .....
- Watermelon Mint Detox WaterDetox water recipes are all the rage these days, and little wonder when the concept is basically about making plain water delicious so you want to drink plenty of it. Water is absolutely essential but a lot of people struggle to drink enough of it. Once you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated and in need of this watermelon mint detox water or something similar. The obvious answer to this problem is flavoring regular water (tap water, bottled water, filtered water, whatever you like) with fruit, perhaps adding some kind of fresh herbs or spice to boost the flavor further. This recipe is one of my favorites. We are incorporating watermelon .....
- Mediterranean Tapas PlatterIf you are looking for inspiration for quick and easy starter recipes, what about making a Mediterranean tapas platter? Tapas are great to nibble on and make a colourful and attractive starter recipe. For the best tapas recipe, choose a couple of different contrasting cheeses, some chorizo or salami, cherry tomatoes and olives. This mixture ensure you get plenty of color and diverse textures and flavors. Mediterranean Tapas Platter: Tasty Tapas Tips Choose any kind of olives you like for your Mediterranean tapas platter; black olives, green ones and stuffed ones are all good. Anchovies make nice tapas too, as do pickled onions, nuts, chopped .....