Catalan Mussels Recipe
Fresh mussels have their own distinctive flavor and they don’t need much added to them to bring out their natural taste. Mussels and cockles are great for making appetizers, or starter recipes. Mussels steamed are great, as are mussels cooked in other ways. One of the best ways to work with this seafood is to try out this Catalan mussels recipe.
Adding Flavor to the Mussels
In this Catalan mussels recipe, vinegar, lemon, oil and basil are used to add flavour and the natural mussel recipe taste shines through. This dish is best chilled overnight so allow plenty of time to do that. This is also a bonus if you are planning a number of recipes to make the following day because once this is made, it is made, meaning it is out the way and you can forget about it until serving.
The onions, vinegar, tomato and more used in this recipe for Catalan mussels is a classic combination and if you want to make starter recipes with mussels this is a very good recipe to opt for.
Mussels in tomato sauce are so good and everyone is sure to love this dish. As you probably know, Catalonia is a region in northeast Spain and seafood is very popular there. Perhaps you have tried a similar dish before, although many people are only familiar with mussels that have been steamed in broth/white wine, so this Catalan mussels recipe is a novel way of enjoying them.
- 1 kg (2 lbs) mussels
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 250g (1/2 lb) ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100ml (2/5 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- Handful fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Wash and de-beard the mussels.
- Put them in a covered pot over a high heat for a couple of minutes until they open.
- Remove and strain.
- Take the mussels out of their shells, discarding any that haven't opened.
- Place them in a serving bowl.
- Add the cherry tomato halves, onion slices and basil.
- Whisk the lemon juice, olive oil and vinegar and pour over the mussels.
- Season and mix well.
- Cover the dish and chill overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with salad and flatbread.
Mussels are wonderful seafood and their flavor is very much-loved all over the world. Although steaming the mussels and serving them in their opened shells is perhaps the most common way of presenting these tasty little shellfish, using them in a salad is another nice idea. The basil, vinegar and lemon adds lots of flavor to this Catalan mussels recipeand there are not too many ingredients because you don’t want to overpower that marvelous seafood taste. This makes a nice starter recipe before a meat main course, so you can enjoy the contrast and not let the starters be too filling.
Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Breakfast Burrito RecipeA beloved Mexican and Tex-Mex food, a burrito makes a great lunch, dinner or snack. And this is the best breakfast burrito recipe I ever tried! One modern trend is all about presenting this hearty delight first thing in the morning and calling it a breakfast burrito. So you can have your breakfast all rolled up neatly burrito-style. A breakfast burrito recipe will contain typical breakfast ingredients like potatoes, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, whatever else you like. These fillings will be hot and cooked, enclosed in a soft flour tortilla. Burritos are wrapped or folded to enclose the filling, unlike a taco which is usually folded in half around .....
- Easy Roast Duck Leg with PotatoesThis easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe makes a wonderful dinner. The duck combines perfectly with the roasted potatoes and you should also add your favorite green vegetable, or even some kind of salad on the side. A Greek salad would go well with this or consider some stewed red cabbage or similar. You will need a couple of duck legs for this easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe, along with potatoes and thyme. The duck is fried skin side down in a roasting pan, then you can flip it over and add the potatoes. Add thyme, salt and black pepper, and then you can roast the duck and potatoes for about an hour and a half or up to two .....
- Mango Bubble Tea RecipeBubble tea is an ice cold drink dotted with chewy tapioca pearls. The popularity of this beverage has grown so sharply recently you can find bubble tea shops all over the place these days. It is actually hard to walk past one and not go in and treat yourself to one of these wonderful treats. A mango bubble tea recipe always goes down nicely. Like many things you buy from a shop or cafe, bubble tea can work out expensive if you buy a lot of them, making it worthwhile learning how to make bubble tea yourself at home. The mango bubble tea recipe is super-easy and you can experiment with all different flavors. What is Bubble Tea and Where is It .....
- Starter Recipes for All SeasonsThere is no rule that you have to serve cold starters in the spring or summer and nor is there a rule to say you have to serve thick, warming ones in the winter months. However, it can be nice to match them to the seasons as well as to your guests and the main course. You will find there are starter recipes for all seasons if you want to use seasonal produce to make the most delicious appetizers. For example, if the weather is warm your guests might fancy something light and refreshing and that goes for the drinks as well as the food. If the weather is cold, a hearty soup recipe or something hot, crispy and spicy might be well appreciated. .....
- Best Sci-Fi Movies of 2014Now that 2014 is well over half a year behind us, all the best sci-fi movies of 2014 are available on DVD, so rather than going to the cinema, why not curl up with some popcorn and a DVD this evening? I love this genre and managed to see plenty of movies last year. My husband doesn’t mind the genre but it’s me who is the real fan, so I’m going to share with you my top sci-fi movie recommendations!.....
- Traditional Recipe for Cornish PastiesOne of the most famous dishes to come from Cornwall, England (well apart from tea and scones of course) is the Cornish pasty. This delicious snack can be enjoyed hot, warm or chilled, and the beef and vegetable filling complements the flaky pastry perfectly. Knowing the traditional recipe for Cornish pasties means you can prepare this delicacy for your family at home. Traditional Recipe for Cornish Pasties Dough We are making the pastry for our Cornish pasty (pronounced PAH-stee) recipe as well as preparing the filling. For the pastry you will need flour, butter, egg yolks, salt and baking powder. It helps to have a food processor to prepare .....
- A Guide to Seattle, WashingtonSeattle, Washington is not the capital of Washington state, but it sure is worth a visit and a guide to Seattle, Washington is a handy thing to have. Many people think of Washington as a dreary, rainy place and being the birthplace of grunge music didn’t really help its image much. Seattle can be gloomy in the winter, but spring, summer, and fall are beautiful times to visit and see what the Emerald City has to offer. Spring in Seattle is a fun time in this guide to Seattle, Washington, because everyone is starting to come out of hibernation. One of the great ways to do that is to go visit the Moisture Festival, which is a local comedy and .....
- British Indian Food and How It All BeganIndian cuisine is really popular in the UK, but British Indian food differs from authentic Indian cuisine. While some dishes are Anglicized versions of typical Indian dishes, others are Indian takes on typical British dishes, so there is plenty of fusion. Fish and meat are cooked as curries with Indian vegetables, and yogurt, almonds and coconut are typical ingredients in this cuisine. British roast beef for example can be modified with chilies and cumin to make a curried beef dish. Indian roast type dishes, rices, breads and curries all offer a distinctive Indian taste. Some examples of British Indian food include mulligatawny, fish .....
- Potato Wrapped Fish FiletsThis potato wrapped fish filets recipe is something which is easy enough for the home cook to master but will give professional results. If you love fish and potatoes, why not combine them to make this delicious recipe? Whether you are used to tasty stuffed squid recipes and other seafood dishes, or not, you will love this. The potatoes need to be thin enough to wrap around the fish, although you can choose any type of potatoes and any type of fish. Perhaps you love the big flakes cod offers, the economical price of basa fish or tilapia, or the distinctive flavor of salmon. Whichever makes your mouth water would be an ideal candidate for .....
- 4 Budget Hotels in the South of Gran CanariaThere are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy. Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams. Some More Hot Content For You Decadent Chocolate Walnut Cake Handy Electric Cookware Reviews .....