Chinese Calamari Szechuan Style
Many people enjoy Chinese recipes at least once a week, as the meals are simple to prepare and cook, making them quick and easy for everyone. Chinese appetizers can be enjoyed before a traditional Chinese meal, and many people enjoy this style before their normal main dish, Chinese or not. You might want to try this Chinese calamari Szechuan recipe and see how you find the spice and flavor.
There are various authentic flavors from China which you will already be familiar with, and you can get many Chinese ingredients from the regular grocery store, although an Asian grocery store is your best bet if you want to stock up on such ingredients.
Choosing the Right Chinese Appetizer
If you take the time to select the Chinese appetizer recipe wisely, you will be able to choose something which enhances your whole meal, starting it off in style and leaving people eager for the main dish to come out once their appetite has been whetted. This Chinese calamari Szechuan dish is certainly a great choice.
There is a huge array of different recipes to choose from, depending on your taste as well as the other courses being served. You can choose between simple shrimp crackers, crunchy wontons, or even sesame toast. You might even like to try a squid soup recipe such as a hot and sour squid soup perhaps.
Moving Away from the Most Popular Chinese Appetizers
There are many Chinese appetizers which are very popular; however, there are huge lists of recipes which are simple to prepare and cook which are not as popular.
Choosing one of these for your Chinese appetizer recipe may seem daunting but once you have mastered the art of cooking Chinese food, you will be amazed how straightforward many of the dishes are to cook.
Seafood and Vegetables are Ideal
Many ingredients can be used for Chinese appetizers, but it is the spices, and sauces which create the distinct flavors you enjoy. These spices can be added to most of the core ingredients which are used in Chinese cuisine. However, you need to learn about the different flavors, before you can create the perfect dish, so you can expect an authentic result.
The following Chinese calamari Szechuan recipe requires squid tubes and you can pick these up from an Asian food store frozen. Thaw them overnight and then make sure you rinse them and mop off all the water with paper towels because they do hold in a lot of water, and that is not your best friend when breading or frying.
As well as the squid itself you will need groundnut oil (or a similar oil with a high smoking point – peanut oil is also good), salt and peppercorns, cornstarch and flour for Chinese calamari Szechuan. With those ingredients you will be able to make this fabulously delicious Szechuan squid recipe.
- ½ pound (250g) fresh squid tubes
- 6 oz (175 ml) groundnut oil
- 4½ oz (125g) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorns
- 5½ oz (150g) all-purpose flour
- Cut the calamari tubes along one side to open them up.
- Lay flat and score the insides.
- Heat a saute pan without oil.
- Toast the peppercorns for a few minutes, moving constantly.
- When they begin to pop, remove them from the pan.
- Add the salt and cook until it has turned grey.
- Remove from the heat.
- Put the salt and peppercorns into a pestle and mortar, and grind.
- Put in a resealable bag with the flour and cornstarch.
- Shake the bag to mix.
- Heat the oil in a wok until extremely hot.
- Put the squid in the bag in small batches and coat with the flour mixture.
- Shake off the excess flour and fry until golden brown (this should take no more than 30 seconds).
- Drain and serve immediately.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Pesto Spaghetti with Easy MeatballsThis is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it! Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like. We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some .....
- How to Make Salsa in the Food ProcessorSalsa in a jar is usually an underwhelming experience, which is why making your own is such a good idea. Not only is making salsa very easy, but you are going to end up with something really delicious which you will be proud to serve with your tacos, fajitas, Mexican salad, or even with a bowl of your favorite chips, for dipping. Learn how to make salsa in the food processor and you can whip this up in mere minutes whenever you want it. Low Calorie but High Flavor Because tomatoes are very low in calories and they are the main component of the dish, salsa is a great choice if you want to make a low calorie dip. Knowing how to make salsa in .....
- Create Your Own Wonton FillingsAfter making a number of steamed wonton recipes, there will come a time when you wish to create your own wonton fillings. Although you can use pretty much any kind of meat, poultry or fish in your wonton filling, it is important to grind or chop it as finely as you can. You need your ingredients to be very small for wonton fillings, so you can mix everything together better. Anything which is not cut into small enough pieces means you risk the wonton wrapper coming apart while they’re being cooked and then the filling will leak out which obviously you don’t want to happen. Create Your Own Wonton Fillings: What to Use Throw some .....
- Spanish Paprika ChickenChicken is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, and this Spanish inspired recipe makes the most of chicken thighs, a naturally juicy, flavor-packed part of the bird. Chicken thighs tend to be more economical than chicken breasts, and they also offer more juiciness and a richer flavor, so you have a win-win situation if you choose to buy them and use them in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe. Look out for discounted ones because they freeze beautifully. What to Use in Spanish Paprika Chicken We are adding onion and garlic to our Spanish paprika chicken, along with red wine vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, chicken stock and .....
- Discovering the Latest Modern Bathroom TrendsModern bathroom trends can suit every style, taste and budget, regardless of where you are in the world. More people than ever before are investing time and money into their bathrooms, and you will be amazed at the huge array of different trends available. There are several different ways that you can improve the look and feel of your bathroom with modern bathroom trends including a variety of different accessories and fittings. Creating the Perfect Environment You need to consider the overall feel that you want to achieve in your bathroom, and decide on your budget before you go shopping. Some of the latest modern trends are expensive so .....
- Canapes for a PartyCanapes (KAH-nah-pays) for a party, which are also known as hors d’oevres, are little snacks which are served with drinks, either by themselves or before the sit-down meal is ready. These canapes for a party can be very simple and might be something spread on crackers or melba toast, or even a stuffed cherry tomato or deviled egg. The best canapes for a party are those which can be eaten with the fingers, so people can just pick them up without making their fingers messy. Also, they should be able to be eaten in one or two bites, and you shouldn’t need cutlery. A canape in one hand and a drink in the other is fine. Add cutlery .....
- Steamed Vegetable Wontons with BroccoliThis recipe combines broccoli, green onion, carrot, garlic and Asian condiments for a vegetarian-friendly wonton recipe. The wontons are steamed so you do not have to use any fat in the recipe either. If you are looking for something healthy and nutritious, which is easy enough for a beginner home cook to put together then you might be interested in this steamed vegetable wontons with broccoli recipe, especially if you like steamed dumplings. Wontons can be deep-fried, steamed, cooked in a soup or baked, but steaming gives them a lovely texture and cooks them gently. Make sure the filling is well mashed up before adding it and don’t .....
- Watermelon Radish Recipes Cooked and RawWhat is a watermelon radish, you might be wondering. It could be you have spotted watermelon radishes at your local market and you are curious what to do with such a vegetable. What kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Maybe you are looking for a good watermelon recipe. Well I purchased some of these at my local market, and I have been experimenting! First of all, what is a watermelon radish anyway? Well, this vegetable is an edible globular root with green leaves and thin stems. The outside is whitish and the flesh is bright pink. It is tender-crisp and firm in texture. It tastes mild and a little peppery. You might taste some .....
- Homemade Easy Wonton Recipes for EveryoneEasy wonton recipes should find a place in your meal, or at least appetizer, rotation. Whether you fancy making wonton soup, crunchy fried wontons, sensational steamed wontons or even healthy baked ones, there are plenty of easy wonton recipes for you to choose from. These feature all your favorite ingredients from chicken to duck or pork, nutritious veggies, exciting herbs and spices, and even fruit or cheese. There are wonton recipes for ever season, occasion and palate, and wontons can make amazing comfort food, a well-deserved snack, or even a complete meal. There are homemade easy wonton recipes for everyone to enjoy. Easy Wonton .....
- Mediterranean Tapas PlatterIf you are looking for inspiration for quick and easy starter recipes, what about making a Mediterranean tapas platter? Tapas are great to nibble on and make a colourful and attractive starter recipe. For the best tapas recipe, choose a couple of different contrasting cheeses, some chorizo or salami, cherry tomatoes and olives. This mixture ensure you get plenty of color and diverse textures and flavors. Mediterranean Tapas Platter: Tasty Tapas Tips Choose any kind of olives you like for your Mediterranean tapas platter; black olives, green ones and stuffed ones are all good. Anchovies make nice tapas too, as do pickled onions, nuts, chopped .....