Chinese Calamari Szechuan Style
Many people enjoy Chinese recipes at least once a week, as the meals are simple to prepare and cook, making them quick and easy for everyone. Chinese appetizers can be enjoyed before a traditional Chinese meal, and many people enjoy this style before their normal main dish, Chinese or not. You might want to try this Chinese calamari Szechuan recipe and see how you find the spice and flavor.
There are various authentic flavors from China which you will already be familiar with, and you can get many Chinese ingredients from the regular grocery store, although an Asian grocery store is your best bet if you want to stock up on such ingredients.
Choosing the Right Chinese Appetizer
If you take the time to select the Chinese appetizer recipe wisely, you will be able to choose something which enhances your whole meal, starting it off in style and leaving people eager for the main dish to come out once their appetite has been whetted. This Chinese calamari Szechuan dish is certainly a great choice.
There is a huge array of different recipes to choose from, depending on your taste as well as the other courses being served. You can choose between simple shrimp crackers, crunchy wontons, or even sesame toast. You might even like to try a squid soup recipe such as a hot and sour squid soup perhaps.
Moving Away from the Most Popular Chinese Appetizers
There are many Chinese appetizers which are very popular; however, there are huge lists of recipes which are simple to prepare and cook which are not as popular.
Choosing one of these for your Chinese appetizer recipe may seem daunting but once you have mastered the art of cooking Chinese food, you will be amazed how straightforward many of the dishes are to cook.
Seafood and Vegetables are Ideal
Many ingredients can be used for Chinese appetizers, but it is the spices, and sauces which create the distinct flavors you enjoy. These spices can be added to most of the core ingredients which are used in Chinese cuisine. However, you need to learn about the different flavors, before you can create the perfect dish, so you can expect an authentic result.
The following Chinese calamari Szechuan recipe requires squid tubes and you can pick these up from an Asian food store frozen. Thaw them overnight and then make sure you rinse them and mop off all the water with paper towels because they do hold in a lot of water, and that is not your best friend when breading or frying.
As well as the squid itself you will need groundnut oil (or a similar oil with a high smoking point – peanut oil is also good), salt and peppercorns, cornstarch and flour for Chinese calamari Szechuan. With those ingredients you will be able to make this fabulously delicious Szechuan squid recipe.
- ½ pound (250g) fresh squid tubes
- 6 oz (175 ml) groundnut oil
- 4½ oz (125g) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorns
- 5½ oz (150g) all-purpose flour
- Cut the calamari tubes along one side to open them up.
- Lay flat and score the insides.
- Heat a saute pan without oil.
- Toast the peppercorns for a few minutes, moving constantly.
- When they begin to pop, remove them from the pan.
- Add the salt and cook until it has turned grey.
- Remove from the heat.
- Put the salt and peppercorns into a pestle and mortar, and grind.
- Put in a resealable bag with the flour and cornstarch.
- Shake the bag to mix.
- Heat the oil in a wok until extremely hot.
- Put the squid in the bag in small batches and coat with the flour mixture.
- Shake off the excess flour and fry until golden brown (this should take no more than 30 seconds).
- Drain and serve immediately.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Bling iPad CasesTake a look at these gorgeous covers and make your tablet really sparkle! iPad cases come in lots of styles but choosing ones with bling means your tablet will look incredible and who doesn’t love bling iPad cases? Choose from lots of different sparkly covers to jazz up your tablet and everyone will be jealous of it. Even if you are not sure what style you like, take a peek at some of the different designs on offer and perhaps you will find something you adore. Choose from various colors, styles and types of bling for your bling iPad cases, or pick out the perfect sparkly cover or case as a gift for someone in your family or friends .....
- Canapes for a PartyCanapes (KAH-nah-pays) for a party, which are also known as hors d’oevres, are little snacks which are served with drinks, either by themselves or before the sit-down meal is ready. These canapes for a party can be very simple and might be something spread on crackers or melba toast, or even a stuffed cherry tomato or deviled egg. The best canapes for a party are those which can be eaten with the fingers, so people can just pick them up without making their fingers messy. Also, they should be able to be eaten in one or two bites, and you shouldn’t need cutlery. A canape in one hand and a drink in the other is fine. Add cutlery .....
- Help for Yeast Infections During PregnancyYeast infections are incredibly common, and women of all ages can suffer with this irritating problem, and throughout pregnancy it can get far worse. These infections are never fun but yeast infections during pregnancy can be extra rough. Many women will discover that a yeast infection is common when they are expecting a baby. Therefore, seeking a solution to the problem is essential, and will ensure that your pregnancy is comfortable. Your body is an amazing thing, and there are several different factors that can contribute to you suffering with yeast infections during pregnancy. The fungus Candida is present in your body at all times, .....
- A Delicious Recipe for Braised Stuffed CalamariThe braised stuffed calamari in this recipe sure looks good. Breadcrumbs, olives, capers, garlic, parsley and more are combined for a tasty filling for your squid. Laura Vitale talks you through everything you need for the recipe and then shows you how to prepare your ingredients to make the filling. I liked this braised stuffed calamari video because I found it very easy to follow and I love the resulting stuffed squid. I think it looks great! And also because this is so similar to the way I usually make my own squid so Laura Vitale is on to a winner here. Just watch the video through and then as soon as it finishes you will wish to .....
- Chicken Yakitori RecipeChicken yakitori is a Japanese dish made with chicken meat or chicken offal which is threaded on to bamboo skewers and grilled. Order a chicken yakitori recipe in a restaurant in Japan and you will be asked whether you want it done with salt or with tare sauce (a sake, soy sauce, sugar and mirin condiment) and this will go on the chicken before cooking. A Traditional Japanese Flavor The following chicken yakitori recipe is very simple to make and you will love the flavor of it. The chicken is flavored with mirin, soy sauce, sugar, garlic and green onion, then grilled until done. While any part of the chicken can be used to make yakitori in .....
- How to Make Mulled WineMulled wine is a hot beverage which is popular during the chillier months. This red wine-based cocktail is really flavorful and you will be able to taste the spices and fruit which go into it. Once you know how to make mulled wine you will often want to prepare it for chilly fall and winter evenings. Our recipe is made with apple cider or juice, red wine and other flavorings. It is actually tastier the day after you make it and even more so the following day if you have any left by then! Mulled wine is nice served in clear mugs so you can see the lovely color, and you can decorate the glasses with some orange zest or orange slices. How to .....
- Banana Wontons with Chocolate Dipping SauceDessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but they are even more tempting served with a hot chocolate sauce. Save time by buying a chocolate sauce or impress your dinner guests by making your own. Why We Love Sweet Wontons Dessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but .....
- Steamed Vegetable Wontons with BroccoliThis recipe combines broccoli, green onion, carrot, garlic and Asian condiments for a vegetarian-friendly wonton recipe. The wontons are steamed so you do not have to use any fat in the recipe either. If you are looking for something healthy and nutritious, which is easy enough for a beginner home cook to put together then you might be interested in this steamed vegetable wontons with broccoli recipe, especially if you like steamed dumplings. Wontons can be deep-fried, steamed, cooked in a soup or baked, but steaming gives them a lovely texture and cooks them gently. Make sure the filling is well mashed up before adding it and don’t .....
- Steamed Couscous with FruitThis steamed couscous with fruit recipe is light, aromatic and really delicious. Combining the taste of couscous with sweet juicy fruit, this makes a great side dish or you can have it alone for lunch or a light supper. You could also consider doubling or tripling the steamed couscous with fruit recipe to make a nice buffet or potluck dish. It is fine to stand at room temperature for a while since there is no meat or eggs in there. Couscous is a lovely grain to cook with and you can use plain couscous or Israeli couscous (otherwise known as pearl couscous). It makes a nice change from rice or potatoes, and you can make salads, side dishes .....
- Edamame Noodle Salad with AlmondsThis edamame noodle salad is a fantastic recipe and boasts wonderful Asian accents in every mouthful. Making this edamame salad recipe couldn’t be simpler. You just need to prepare and combine the salad ingredients, whisk all the dressing ingredients together then combine the lot to make a colorful, healthy salad. This is a vegetarian edamame salad but swapping the honey for agave nectar makes this a vegetarian edamame salad if you want to do that instead. If you aren’t vegetarian or vegan, feel free to add some shredded cooked chicken breast to the mix. This edamame noodle salad makes a great lunch and because there are no .....