Chinese Prawn Toast Recipe
Chinese prawn toast, or Chinese shrimp toast, is very popular and makes a tasty hot starter. You don’t have to serve Chinese food as the main course since this Chinese prawn toast recipe goes nicely as an appetizer before a Thai main course, Indian main course or anything else you like.
How Does a Chinese Prawn Toast Recipe Taste?
These little appetizers often have sesame seeds on but that is not essential. The toasts should be crispy without being burned, and taste fishy without being too fishy. Prawn toasts usually feature on Chinese restaurant menus because their wonderful crunch makes them very appetizing.
Armed with this Chinese prawn toast recipe you can make your own prawn toast. It goes without saying these would be the perfect starter recipe before a Chinese main course. Everyone will think they are in a wonderful Chinese restaurant when you bring hot prawn toast to the table. If you have had a Chinese prawn toast recipe in a Chinese restaurant you might not have had them made really fresh, especially if you ate at a buffet place where they might have been sitting under the heater for hours. Make these and you will taste them the very best way.
- 8 slices white bread, no crusts
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 or 3 water chestnuts, diced
- 1 green onion (spring onion), finely chopped
- 340g (3/4 lb) small fresh prawns, shelled, deveined and chopped
- Salt and white pepper
- Few drops sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 500ml to 1 litre (1 to 2 pints) oil for deep frying
- Cut each slice of bread into 4 squares so you have 32 squares total.
- Combine the onion, diced water chestnuts and prawns and mince until fine.
- Add the cornstarch, spring onion, pepper, egg and sesame oil and mix well.
- Place a heaped teaspoon of this mixture on each bread square.
- Heat a wok and add the oil.
- Heat the oil to 190 degrees C and slide the bread squares carefully into the wok, a few at a time, prawn side down.
- Deep fry until golden (a couple of minutes) then turn and deep fry the other side.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Crunchy prawn toast is a typical Chinese dish. Bread can be filling, especially when deep-fried, so limit each person to just a couple of these, and maybe serve one per person with another kind of dim sum starter recipe like wontons or dumplings. Making prawn toast is very easy and it is simple to prepare at home, as you can see from our Chinese prawn toast recipe. Serve this tasty and authentic Chinese snack and watch your dinner guests’ faces light up as their taste buds begin to sing.
Image courtesy of Wikipedia
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Wrap WontonsWonton wrappers come in different shapes and sizes but 3 inch square ones are possibly the most common variety. The following video shows you how to fold a wonton (or how to wrap wontons) for perfect results. You can then poach or deep-fry your wontons. How to Wrap Wontons in Different Ways Choose from triangles, flower buds or nurse caps – your wontons will look really professional and hold together perfectly in the broth or oil as they cook. If you are baking or steaming them, you have more options because you can arrange them on top of lettuce or cabbage leaves in your steamer and expect them to stay upright. The same applies if you are .....
- Risotto Stuffed SquidThis Italian-inspired risotto stuffed squid recipe makes a delicious dinner and it is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Calamari is often battered and deep-fried but in this recipe it is stuffed with tasty risotto and cooked on the grill or griddle, then served in slices for a beautiful presentation. What Kind of Squid to Use for Risotto Stuffed Squid You can use whatever size squid you like. Use smallish ones (the width of your palm) and each person can eat 2 or even 3, or use larger ones and 1 per person should be sufficient. The size of the squid affects the cooking time (bigger squid take longer to become tender) but not the .....
- Dairy Free Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Chives RecipeNot being able to eat dairy does not limit your starter options. Just look at this dairy free grilled asparagus recipe. This delicious grilled asparagus is served in a lemon and chive dressing. It is a light starter which goes well with almost any main course. Dairy Free Grilled Asparagus: Freshness Counts with Asparagus Asparagus is seasonal but you will find it all year round because it is imported. If you can get fresh, local asparagus during the spring though, it is highly recommended. Obviously anything grown nearby is going to taste superior to something grown halfway around the world and shipped in. So get fresh asparagus wherever .....
- Japanese Scallop Soup with Snow PeasLight and aromatic, this Japanese scallop soup recipe is easy to make and makes a lovely appetizer, lunch or light evening meal. It can be made very quickly using whichever veggies you happen to have. The base of the Japanese scallop soup is chicken or vegetable stock and miso, then there are udon noodles and scallops in there too. You will be wowed by this recipe and want to make it again and again, because the flavor is so good. What are Udon Noodles? Have you tried udon noodles before? They are white, thick and a little chewy. Wheat-based, udon noodles are one of my favorite Japanese exports. You can get them fresh from the refrigerated .....
- Tandoori Chicken in the OvenThis wonderful recipe for tandoori chicken in the oven is made with chicken pieces. You can use drumsticks, breast halves, leg quarters or chicken thighs, either bone-in or boneless to make tandoori chicken in the oven. The marinade is made with yogurt (use whole or nonfat, as you prefer) along with lemon juice, garlic, chili paste and a variety of aromatic spices, Leave the chicken pieces in the marinade overnight for the best results. Once the chicken is marinated and you are ready to cook it, get the oven nice and hot, then arrange the chicken on a rack over a roasting pan so all the parts of the chicken are exposed to the heat and so any .....
- Chorizo Stuffed SquidThis chorizo stuffed squid recipe really is good. The baby squid are stuffed with chorizo to make this Spanish inspired chorizo stuffed squid meal. The end result is simply amazing. Whether or not you have cooked squid before, you are sure to find this a relatively easy recipe to follow and get right. Chorizo Stuffed Squid: Hmm, Fish and Meat Together? Although using chorizo and squid in the same recipe sounds odd, it really is good and the chorizo adds a beautiful salty finish to the seafood. Have you ever tried bacon-wrapped fish or prosciutto-wrapped shrimp? Seriously, pork and fish do go together really well. I wasn’t convinced but .....
- Tasty Ground Chicken WontonsGround chicken is not the most common ingredient to fill wonton wrappers, but it is a versatile protein which combines well with various types of vegetables and seasonings. These little dumplings can be deep-fried, steamed or poached for a soup, and ground chicken is lean so lower in fat that some other types of meats. Try these ground chicken wontons and experience an authentic, tasty flavor. Delicious Dumplings: Chicken Makes a Change A lot of people have only tried the ground pork or ground beef option for making theirs, and ground chicken makes such a nice change, a nice change of pace. Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised by the .....
- Easy Tofu PhoPho is a delicious Vietnamese noodle soup made with rice noodles, broth, meat, seafood or a vegetarian alternative, and herbs. Beef and chicken are the most popular flavors but you can make a great vegetarian pho with tofu. This easy tofu pho is just gorgeous and you’ll love the flavors. This is a well-loved street food in Vietnam, and the Southern Vietnamese enjoy it for breakfast or lunch, while those in the north of the country have it at any time of the day or evening. History of Pho Soup This dish dates back to the early 1900s and refugees introduced it to the rest of the world after the Vietnam War. There is no proof of the .....
- Easy Winter Appetizer IdeasMost people love to cozy up and relax during the colder months. There’s something about the winter weather that brings people together and gathering around some hearty and easy winter appetizer ideas is a great way to spend that time with friends and family. In the winter, it’s best to serve warm foods, but don’t let that overwhelm you. There are plenty of ways to present a great spread without slaving away in the kitchen for hours. You don’t have to tell anyone how easy the winter appetizer ideas were to prepare! One simple strategy for an appetizer sure to impress is to do fondue. Fondue can be easily customized to your party’s theme .....
- Chilled Cherry Soup RecipeThe following chilled cherry soup recipe features lemon and cinnamon to highlight the wonderful cherry flavor and lend a gourmet touch to this soup, while the flour thickens it up a bit and the sour cream adds a nice tang. A Starter or a Dessert This chilled cherry soup recipe would be excellent served as a starter recipe or for dessert, whichever you like. It is light enough not to fill people too much before their main course, which is always something you want from starters. What is the point of filling people up so much they don’t want their main course! You won’t have that problem here. The chilled cherry soup recipe is .....