Classic Prawn Cocktail
This classic prawn cocktail recipe combines succulent Atlantic prawns with a homemade Marie Rose sauce and more. Shell-on prawns are the best variety to use for both texture and flavor.
Classic Prawn Cocktail: Tips for the Prawns
You can make a nice risotto stock from the shells after peeling them too. Most Atlantic prawns are sold cooked and frozen and the best way to defrost them is to leave the in the fridge for several hours.
Don’t defrost them in water because they will lose some of their flavour. When you peel them, you should split them almost in half through their backs and remove the bitter dark vein running through them. This is optional but it does improve their taste.
A classic prawn cocktail is best served fresh so make it just before serving if you can. Feel free to make any adjustments to this recipe for prawn cocktail if you want to.
You can use tomato concentrate (tomato puree in UK English) instead of tomato chutney, for example, substitute iceberg lettuce for the Little Gem (baby romaine) lettuce, or leave out the Tabasco sauce if you don’t want the spicy hint. The whole wheat (wholemeal) bread can be swapped for white bread too, if that is what you prefer.
Ideal Starter Recipes for Christmas Dinner
A juicy classic prawn cocktail makes a brilliant starter recipe at Christmas and you can also serve it on other special occasions. The succulent prawns and seafood sauce top the crisp lettuce and the cherry tomatoes and wholemeal bread complement the appearance and flavour of this easy starter recipe. If you are going to serve a prawn cocktail recipe, the following one is guaranteed to be delicious.
- 500g (1 lb) cooked Atlantic prawns with the shells on
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons creamed horseradish
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tablespoons tomato chutney
- 4 Little Gem lettuces (or baby Romaine)
- Few drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 4 lemon wedges
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Peel all the prawns except 8 of them.
- Wash and trim the lettuces and break them up into separate leaves.
- Divide the leaves between 4 serving dishes.
- Arrange the peeled prawns over the lettuce and grind some black pepper over them.
- Combine the mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, horseradish and tomato chutney.
- Season this mixture with the lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon this sauce over the prawns and sprinkle the paprika over the top.
- Garnish each prawn cocktail with a sprig of fresh dill, 2 cherry tomatoes and a lemon wedge.
- Butter the bread and cut each slice in half.
- Garnish the prawn cocktails with the buttered bread and 2 unpeeled prawns on the side.
- Serve immediately.
This delicious classic prawn cocktail recipe is easy to make and is the perfect delectable and interesting starter recipe for almost any occasion. This is a colorful and classic starter recipe. Prawn cocktail is not difficult to make and once you have defrosted the prawns, it is just a question of combining the ingredients and arranging the prawn cocktail attractively in the serving dishes. There are different recipes for prawn cocktail but if you want to learn how to make prawn cocktail which looks elegant and tastes divine, this recipe will not disappoint.
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Make Hamburgers on the StoveI love making homemade burgers, partly because they are really easy and partly because they taste so good. You will need some good quality hamburger meat if you want to make good quality burgers, and you can use pork, beef, chicken or a mixed meat. I like to use 80/20 (that is 80% lean, 20% fat) half pork, half beef, for a good juiciness and flavor. I often make hamburgers on the stove when it’s cold and I don’t want to stand over a grill outside in the rain! In the photo you can see I am cooking the burgers on a griddle which is like a square pan with ridges on. The ridges allow the fat to drain off the meat but they also make .....
- Best Breakfast Burrito RecipeA beloved Mexican and Tex-Mex food, a burrito makes a great lunch, dinner or snack. And this is the best breakfast burrito recipe I ever tried! One modern trend is all about presenting this hearty delight first thing in the morning and calling it a breakfast burrito. So you can have your breakfast all rolled up neatly burrito-style. A breakfast burrito recipe will contain typical breakfast ingredients like potatoes, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, whatever else you like. These fillings will be hot and cooked, enclosed in a soft flour tortilla. Burritos are wrapped or folded to enclose the filling, unlike a taco which is usually folded in half around .....
- Easy Tomato and Onion FocacciaFocaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception. How to Serve Focaccia You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it .....
- How to Griddle Chicken BreastThe griddle is a fantastic tool which I often use in the kitchen for cooking not only chicken but steak, fish and vegetables too. You need less fat than if you were to shallow fry or saute, and can expect attractive griddle marks, either lines or crisscross, depending how you turn the chicken while it is cooking. Learning how to griddle chicken breast is so easy and worthwhile. A nice cast iron griddle pan is a worthwhile investment, and since you can cook all kinds of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and even some kinds of cheese (like halloumi) in there, you will find yourself using it frequently. Griddled Chicken Breast Uses One of the .....
- Dutch Slavink Recipe – Bacon Wrapped MeatballsSlavink is a Dutch meat recipe you will spot in grocery stores in the Netherlands, nestled in the pork area. These can best be described as a rectangular meatball wrapped in bacon. Go back in history and you will find a Dutch slavink recipe was originally a small songbird wrapped in bacon. In the south of Europe you can still find such a dish despite many people trying to outlaw the dish, but the modern Dutch version used ground beef and/or pork instead. In fact many of them use a half beef/half pork mixture to create a Dutch slavink recipe which is popular locally. Butchers in the Netherlands make their own slavinken, which is the Dutch .....
- What to Expect from Cheilectomy SurgeryA cheilectomy operation is a surgical procedure which is done to remove bone spurs from the big toe. If you suffer from big toe pain or stiffness, big toe arthritis or hallux rigidus, this operation might help you. You will want to know what to expect from cheilectomy surgery if you or a loved one are going to have this surgery. I am writing this lens about what to expect from cheilectomy (sometimes misspelled kailectomy or chilectomy) because I had the procedure myself nearly 2 years ago. I want to share my own experience and tell you what to expect. I also have some great tips, as someone who has been through a cheilectomy surgery. This .....
- Different Kitchen Styles ExplainedNo matter how much space you have available or what budget, it is possible to create the kitchen of your dreams. Take a look at different kitchen styles and see which you resonate most with. These are some of the most popular kitchen styles which you can recreate: Contemporary For a great contemporary kitchen, rich wood finishes, high tech appliances and luxury gloss is the look you need to aim for. Floor to ceiling cupboards give you plenty of storage space, leaving the worktops uncluttered and wraparound surfaces that link the sink, worktop and splashback look great too. Transitional A transitional kitchen will have elements of .....
- Best Leftover Mashed Potatoes RecipeSo what do you do when you have leftover mashed potatoes? It’s a waste to throw them out, but who wants to reheat them and risk cold lumps or dried out mash? Let me come to your rescue with my best leftover mashed potatoes recipe ideas. Through experimenting I’ve come up with a really good way to use up leftover mashed potato, and this recipe is easy to make and really good. It goes with everything! I made the original mashed potatoes using half Carisma and half sweet potato (my husband’s diabetic so we avoid regular mash) but as usual I made too much! One of the Best Leftover Mashed Potatoes Recipe Ideas I mashed a little .....
- A Great Dipping Sauce for WontonsMany people are eager to start making the best and most easy wonton recipes but wait – what are you going to serve with the wontons? If you are serving them in soup then that is one thing but if not, you might like to serve a wonton dipping sauce on the side, to dip your steamed, baked or fried wontons into. You are going to need a tasty dipping sauce for wontons. A wonton dipping sauce can be something out of a bottle such as soy sauce, oyster sauce or chili sauce, or it can be something you make yourself. Consider the wonton filling when thinking about what type of wonton dipping sauce to prepare. Examples of a Good Dipping Sauce for .....
- Easy Starter Recipe IdeasStarter recipes as they are called in the UK, or appetizer recipes as they are known in the US, are little snacks which are served before the main dish. There are easy starter recipe ideas to suit every occasion. There are hot and cold starter recipes that everyone can prepare, no matter whether you happen to be a newbie in the kitchen or an experienced and seasoned chef. So what are you planning to make as your New Year’s Eve starter recipes? A parma ham and melon starter, prawn cocktail, cheeseballs, canapes or something else? Keep reading if you are still looking for New Year’s Eve appetizer inspiration. Easy Starter Recipe .....