Dairy Free Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter
This dairy free cantaloupe and prawn starter recipe is also nut free and soy free, as well as dairy free. The delicious prawn salad is served inside a cantaloupe melon, making this a very attractive starter recipe as well as a delicious one. You can either cut the cantaloupe melons into wedges and serve them with the salad or use this recipe as the centrepieces for a buffet table. This is a colorful and appetizing starter recipe.
Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter: Tweaks You Can Make
You don’t have to use the melon at all for this seafood starter recipe if you don’t want to and a bed of salad leaves is fine instead. Use baby spinach, meslun, arugula or whatever mixture of crisp seasonal salad leaves you prefer.
Saying that though, melon and prawns go together really nicely. The prawn salad contains spring onions, cucumber, basil and more. The dressing is a tasty mixture of olive oil, vinegar, mustard and garlic.
You can make this starter in the morning if you are feeding people in the evening. Actually it tastes better if you let it chill in the fridge all day and the flavours combine really well.
Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter: Always a Perfect Dish
This cantaloupe melon and prawn starter is ideal if you want to serve filling starters or if you want to serve snacks rather than something too filling. Melon is healthy and the prawn salad is also highly nutritious, making this a great choice if you want to serve a light lunch or dinner which is guaranteed to be wonderfully satisfying.
- 4 cantaloupe melons, halved
- 5½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 5½ tablespoons olive oil
- 5½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 kg (2 lbs) medium prawns, not peeled
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions (green onions), chopped
- 10 cm (4 inch) piece of cucumber, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, torn
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 litres (4 pints) water
- 8 chives, to garnish
- Bring the water to a boil, then add the prawns.
- Cook them for about 3 minutes or until they go pink.
- Drain them and rinse with cold water.
- Peel and de-vein the prawns, then chill them in the fridge.
- Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, paprika, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper together, then stir in the garlic, cucumber, basil, celery and green onions.
- Add the prawns and toss well to coat.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Cut the cantaloupe melons in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Divide the prawn salad between the cantaloupe halves and garnish each one with a couple of chives.
This colorful cantaloupe and prawn starter starter recipe (appetizer) is simple to make. The melon is filled with a delicious dairy-free prawn salad, which contains garlic, fresh basil and more, and fresh chives make an attractive garnish. You can use any kind of melon you like for this dairy free starter actually, because all melon varieties are great with the taste of prawns. Choose a baby variety if you want to serve individual starters or a large one if you want to present the starter on one platter at the table. You can also save time by using ready cooked prawns but cooking your own gives this melon and prawn starter recipe a fresher flavor.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Baked Alaska Recipe with Caramel SauceThis baked Alaska recipe with caramel sauce is one of my favorite desserts, teaming delicious, refreshing ice cream with perfect meringue. Here we are serving the baked Alaska with caramel sauce to make the dessert even more decadent. This dessert is served cold, and the meringue completely covers the ice cream inside, making it look like a big iceberg, hence the name. Although you can make individual baked Alaska desserts, we like to make one big ones, using a small ready-made chocolate sponge cake, topping that with 2 kinds of ice cream, and then adding the sweet, sticky meringue mixture. I bet you can’t wait to try this baked Alaska .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....
- Best Concealer for Dark CirclesAttempting to find the best concealer for dark circles may be daunting; however, there are some incredible products available, which can help with this common problem. Many women suffer with dark circles, which can be caused by numerous reasons. Lack of sleep, age, allergies and a poor diet can all result in your eyes appearing tired and darker than average. Ensure Your Eyes Look Incredible Your eyes are one of your best features, and they should look incredible at all times to give you confidence, and make you feel sexy. Natural remedies are often advised but using a top quality concealer, is a fantastic way to ensure that your confidence .....
- Authentic Stetson Salad RecipeThis is my favorite salad right now. The flavors are simply amazing and I adore this stetson salad recipe. I am a fan of chopped salad anyway and often make cobb salad for dinner, but once I heard about this one I just had to find out more about it, and it’s definitely my number one favorite now! The ingredients in a stetson salad recipe are colorful and tasty, and the dressing goes beautifully with the flavors in this Stetson salad. This salad is one of the most popular items on the menu at Cowboy Ciao, a restaurant in Scottsdale, Arizona. Depending where you live you might not be able to get all the ingredients for Stetson salad but that’s .....
- How to Create Your Own Curry RecipeThis is a 4-step guide to making curry, and you can make it as mild or as spicy as you wish. Follow the steps learning how to create your own curry recipe and you will end up with the most delicious dish. There is nothing to worry about when making such a dish and it is best to get creative. So read through this to find out the 4 stages of curry making, then get yourself into the kitchen and prepare something wonderful – no need to follow any recipe to the letter! Step 1 in this how to create your own curry guide is all about softening any dense ingredients which will take a long time to tenderize. If you are using tough cuts of meat .....
- Cauliflower Nasi Goreng – Low CarbThis cauliflower nasi goreng – low carb and tasty – might well earn a place on your regular meal rotation. It’s just so special! Nasi goreng is a delicious dish from Indonesia, which I’ve enjoyed plenty of times since moving to the Netherlands, since the Dutch are very much into Indonesian foods. Although this is a rice-based dish and you might think no way can that be low carb, swap the rice for cauliflower and it will be! Also, because this is a spicy dish (a dish with spices, not necessary ‘hot’ if you don’t want it to be) you won’t taste the cauliflower. What is Nasi Gorgeng? The name .....
- New Pasta Recipes to TryThere is so much you can do with pasta, and also so many kinds to choose from. White or whole wheat pasta, penne, spaghetti, pasta twists, linguine… the list goes on. You can make hot recipes such as baked pasta dishes, or chilled ones like a salad. You can serve it as an entree or side dish, and there are many new pasta recipes to try. Pasta is economical and filling, and there are plenty of wonderful Italian recipes using it. Try the big noodles to make lasagna, long pasta like linguine or spaghetti to serve with a meaty sauce, or pasta shapes to make pasta salad or to cling to a thick sauce. Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes If you want .....
- Discovering the Latest Modern Bathroom TrendsModern bathroom trends can suit every style, taste and budget, regardless of where you are in the world. More people than ever before are investing time and money into their bathrooms, and you will be amazed at the huge array of different trends available. There are several different ways that you can improve the look and feel of your bathroom with modern bathroom trends including a variety of different accessories and fittings. Creating the Perfect Environment You need to consider the overall feel that you want to achieve in your bathroom, and decide on your budget before you go shopping. Some of the latest modern trends are expensive so .....
- Fresh Mexican Soup RecipesIf you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming. Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody. Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is .....
- How to Microwave VegetablesThe best thing about using a microwave to cook your vegetables is you can be assured of great results every time. If you boil or roast them you might leave them in there too long and end up overdoing them and, let’s face it, what’s worst than soggy overcooked veggies? Learn how to microwave vegetables and you have a new speedy way of cooking them. A microwave cooks vegetables by producing electromagnetic waves which force polarized water molecules to oscillate. This makes the temperature increase. Plant foods, namely fruit and veggies, have more water in them than, for example, meat, making them ideal candidates for the microwave because .....