Hot Herring Starter Recipe with Mustard Sauce
Mustard and white wine sauce goes beautifully with many types of fish and herring is no exception. The following hot herring starter recipe combines potatoes, herring, onion and mustard sauce for a full flavored starter recipe. The herring is flavored with lemon juice and grilled, the potatoes are boiled and the onion is served raw, to make a crunchy and piquant garnish.
How to Serve this Hot Herring Starter
This fish appetizer is suitable for a buffet table or a dinner party. Just serve it with a big serving spoon and let people help themselves. You can serve extra mustard sauce on the side if you like, as well as underneath the potato layer.
If you don’t have any white wine, you could use white vinegar instead. The end flavor will be similar. Also, you can use Dijon mustard if you want to. English mustard is full-bodied and very hot and you might prefer the subtle flavor of Dijon mustard instead, for making the mustard sauce.
This hot herring starter is one of the best tasting fish appetizers and it is simple to make too. The potato, herring and mustard sauce are the main ingredients and the rest provides the garnish and adds some color to the dish. The white onion goes especially well with both the fish and the potato and it looks nice as a garnish.
- 4 herrings, split and de-boned
- 1 lemon
- 470ml (1 pint) hot milk
- 50g (1.75 oz) flour
- 50g (1.75 oz) butter
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 thick slices wholemeal bread, cubed
- ½ white onion
- 1 gherkin (green pickle), to garnish
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, to garnish
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut 2 thin slices out of the middle of the lemon and reserve them for the garnish.
- Sprinkle the juice from the remaining lemon over the herrings.
- Sprinkle some salt and black pepper over them.
- Peel and slice the potatoes and boil them until tender.
- Preheat the grill and cook the fish until it is tender.
- This will take about 8 minutes per side.
- Cut the cooked herrings into 1 inch (3 cm) pieces.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour.
- Keep cooking and whisking for 2 minutes, then take the mixture off the heat and stir in the hot milk.
- Add the mustard, wine and a little salt to taste.
- Put the sauce back in the pan and bring it to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and let it simmer for a minute or until the mustard sauce is thick.
- Pour the sauce on to a serving dish and arrange the potato slices on top.
- Arrange the herring slices over the potatoes.
- Peel the onion and slice it thinly, separating the slices into rings.
- Garnish the potato and herring starter with the onion rings, bread cubes, lemon slices, gherkin and the sprigs of fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately.
This hot herring starter is one of our fancy starter recipes and you can see how quite a basic starter recipe is livened up by the addition of lemon slices, parsley, bread cubes and a gherkin. Herring is a very popular fish and warm herring served with warm potatoes and a delicious mustard sauce makes a really good starter recipe. There are various ways to prepare herring and smoked herring recipes are popular, as are pickled herring recipes. The grilled, lemon juice-infused herring used in this easy fish starter recipe has a wonderful texture and flavor.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Banana Bread with ApplesauceThis incredibly easy banana bread with applesauce recipe is made by combining bananas with applesauce, eggs, vanilla and flour. Some sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt also go into the mix. Making this is very straightforward because you just have to combine the ingredients in a bowl, transfer the resulting mixture into a greased loaf pan, and then you can bake it until done. Easy Banana Bread with Applesauce: Such a Tempting Snack Served hot with butter and honey, this makes the most amazing snack, and it is a great comfort food. Homemade banana bread appeals to all the family from the youngest to the most senior, and there are all .....
- iPhone Airbags – Fact or Fallacy?Have you heard about these useful little things which attach to the cell and open out in the case of a fall? Although iPhone airbags are still a concept rather than a reality, if these can be concealed and not add bulk to the handset this could well become a reality soon. One drop on a hard floor can crack your screen or break it altogether, so this concept might not be as far-out as it sounds when you consider it like that. Now are iPhone airbags making a little more sense? This continues to be one of the most popular cells on the market, and with the latest apps and accessories, it is no surprise that it remains one of the market leaders. .....
- Duck Galettes RecipeThese delicious galettes are easy and fast to make. You need to chill them partway through the recipe so you could make them in advance up until then if you are in a hurry. This duck galettes recipe is a highly unusual appetizer recipe which you might want to consider. Duck Galettes Recipe: French in Origin The correct term for one of these galettes is a ‘Breton galette’ since a galette is any kind of flat French savory cake, while a Breton galette means a flat, buckwheat pancake, so there is a difference. Including duck and potatoes, this recipe is not your average starter recipe so if you are looking for something extra special .....
- Orange and Avocado Salad RecipeIf you are looking for a quick, easy vegetarian salad recipe, this one is very good and takes just minutes to put together. The sharpness of the oranges contrasts very well with the soft creaminess of the avocado and the lemon juice and oil dressing finishes it off just right. I love this orange and avocado salad recipe and have made it a few times now. Simple Yet So Good This orange and avocado salad recipe might sound very basic but a lot of recipes are great because they are kept simple, not in spite of it. Avocado offers a creamy nutty flavor which is wonderful with the orange, and this is also a colorful dish, not just a tasty one. It .....
- Beef and Avocado Wrap with Horseradish DressingIf you are looking for brand new lunch ideas, this beef and avocado wrap is certainly deserving of your consideration. Teaming juicy roast beef with fresh avocado and a homemade horseradish dressing, this is just so good. I had some deli beef and a tortilla in the refrigerator and decided to make a horseradish dressing rather than just spooning in some of the horseradish sauce. I also had half an avocado left over from some tortilla pizzas I made last night, so threw that in there too. The resulting beef and avocado wrap sandwich was amazing and I immediately went out and made another! Variations and Tweaks for a Beef and Avocado Wrap You .....
- Bathroom Redesign, Remodeling and DecoratingThe biggest challenge in remodeling a bathroom is probably working out how to achieve the style and build in the features you want within the limits of what is probably the smallest room in your house. A second limiting factor is the location of existing plumbing pipes and electrical wiring. You need to bear this in mind when considering bathroom redesign. Remodeling a bathroom is relatively easy if you don’t have to move those. If you make radical changes in the existing layout, you’ll need to investigate whether or not you can build what you want without making structural changes. Bear in mind that you might require a building .....
- Rice Stuffed Zucchini with Veggies and WalnutsThis is a great recipe for stuffed zucchini, or stuffed courgette if that’s what it’s known as in your neck of the woods. You can cut your zucchini in to ‘boats’ or lengthwise strips or into wide slices. Perhaps you can get mini zucchini, or 8-ball zucchini, in which case one of those makes one serving. For the filling we are using rice, vegetables and walnuts, along with some garlic, thyme and cheese for added flavor. Feel free to tweak any of the ingredients in this rice stuffed zucchini . Pecans would work in place of the walnuts, or you could sub parsley, basil or even mixed dried herbs for the thyme. First we are .....
- Making Appetizers Everyone Will LoveThere is a lot to be said for sticking to classic recipes when making appetizers. Everyone loves crisps, olives, cheese, chicken wings and cold cuts after all, don’t they? Even though this might seem like the safe route to take when planning easy party appetizers, it is fun to create memorable appetizers too. Obviously, you want your starters to be memorable for all the right reasons, not because one of your guests suffered third degree burns when biting into a piping hot appetizer or stained his shirt with a messy red dip because you forgot to provide napkins! Making appetizers everyone will love is a mixture of creativity, know-how .....
- Easy Creamed Spinach RecipeCreamed spinach makes a lovely side dish and it is very easy to prepare. Try out this easy creamed spinach recipe if you want to make your own from scratch. It really is good. Grab a bag of spinach and then just add some cream cheese and seasonings. The recipe also features some optional ingredients so you can ensure your creamed spinach comes out perfectly for your palate. I usually buy the unwashed spinach and soak the leaves in cold water for a few minutes but you can also get pre-washed fresh spinach. Do use fresh spinach for this recipe for the brightest color and freshest flavor. I haven’t made this with the frozen kind but I .....
- Best Tweed Jackets for WomenTweed suits and the best tweed jackets for women make a fashion statement and you can buy some gorgeous pieces. Look at some of the best tweed jackets for woman and find something which is perfect for you. They are warm, stylish and comfortable. Buy a tweed jacket and you can be the envy of your friends. Choose from Warm or Cool, Heavy or Light, Thick or Thin Fabric Tweed comes in many different colors and you can get different blends too, perhaps warm wool for a winter jacket or a lighter blend with cotton if you still want the look of tweed during the warmer seasons. Invest in tweed and you will have a staple in your closet which is never .....