Old Bay Shrimp and Apple Salad
This Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a gorgeous recipe. It looks really nice served in little glasses with edible flowers as a garnish, but it can also be served over lettuce or baby salad leaves if you prefer. This Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a nice way to begin any kind of meal, and it is especially good during the summer when you don’t want to cook.
We are using shrimp, and you can use little ones or chop larger ones. Make sure they are peeled and deveined first. Canned or thawed shrimp are fine here. You will also need some red apple and onion for crunch. The dressing for our Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is made with mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning and lemon juice.
Old Bay Shrimp and Apple Salad Tweaks
If you want, you can add other ingredients to the Old Bay shrimp and apple salad mix. We suggest diced celery, chopped walnuts or diced cheddar cheese. You might even want to add a little fresh dill weed or chopped chives. The recipe is nice as it is, so you might not want to add anything else to it. Also take care not to overwhelm the delicate flavors by adding too many other flavors to the mix.
Also, because chopped apple has a tendency to turn brown, soak the pieces in lemon or lime juice before incorporating them into the recipe. Then you can make this Old Bay shrimp and apple salad up to several hours ahead and it will still taste wonderfully fresh.
Buy Old Bay Seasoning, on Amazon
What is Old Bay Seasoning Anyway?
One of the key components in this shrimp salad is Old Bay seasoning. This is a spice and herb blend from the US, made by McCormick and McCormick.
Old Bay seasoning was developed by Gustav Brunn, a German immigrant, in 1939.
Back then, there were so many crabs locally that the bars in Baltimore, Maryland, used to offer them free, hoping it would encourage people to buy more drinks. Seasonings such as Old Bay were offered alongside.
This seasoning includes paprika, celery salt, mustard, mace, cloves, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, allspice, bay leaf, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. See why it’s so good in this Old Bay shrimp and apple salad?
It is popular in Maryland, the Southern States, the Mid-Atlantic States, and parts of the Gulf Coast and New England. You can also buy it online or make your own mix. Old Bay Seasoning is amazing with any kind of seafood, or even with chicken. If you don’t have any you can still make the following shrimp appetizer recipe, just adding some of the spices that Old Bay contains to get a similar flavor in the finished dish.
- 1 lb (450g) peeled cooked small shrimp (prawns)
- ½ diced red apple
- 1⁄2 cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 finely diced small onion
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 edible flowers, for garnish (optional)
- Unless your shrimp are very small, cut them in half.
- Stir the shrimp with the apple, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, onion, Old Bay seasoning and lemon juice.
- Chill the mixture for an hour then in small glasses, garnished with edible flowers if liked.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Cilantro Shrimp Wonton SoupSome people make wonton soup by dropping their filled wontons into their prepared stock and letting them simmer in there but others prefer to cook the wontons in water and then add them to the soup, so as not to make the soup cloudy. Since you are the cook and the one who is going to be eating the dish, it is totally up to you. You can prepare your cilantro shrimp wonton soup however you prefer. The first few times I made cilantro shrimp wonton soup I put the wontons directly in the soup mixture and let them cook in there, but then I experimented with cooking them in water and then lifting them into warmed serving bowls using a slotted spoon .....
- Authentic Spanish Omelet RecipeSpanish omelet, or tortilla espanola as it is also known, is a combination of potatoes and eggs, giving you not only a ton of flavor, but also a protein and energy boost. You can eat a Spanish omelet recipe hot, chilled or at room temperature. I Love This Spanish Omelet Recipe! When I lived in the Canaries and mainland Spain, a Spanish omelet recipe was one of my favorite tapas, and sometimes I would indulge in a Spanish omelet sandwich in crusty bread with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and a touch of ketchup too. Oh – and a slice of cheese. Now that was a real treat! The main ingredients you need to make tortilla espanola are eggs and .....
- Understanding Yeast Infection SymptomsYeast is present throughout your body at all times, and only becomes an issue when it begins to rapidly grow and you start to notice yeast infection symptoms. This fungus is something that everyone should be aware of, and understand the symptoms behind the infection. Once you understand the different symptoms, you can discover the solutions to this uncomfortable problem. Discovering the Different Forms You may be surprised to discover that vaginal yeast infections do vary and that there may only be a few similarities. This can make identifying yeast infection symptoms a little trickier. Each form of infection will need to be treated in a .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....
- Ham and Cheese French ToastFrench toast, also known as eggy bread, makes a great breakfast. The bread is usually dipped in beaten eggs and then pan-fried until golden brown. This recipe takes the classic French toast to the next level, however, by adding ham and cheese to the mix. This is known as a Monte Cristo sandwich, and can be pan-fried or deep-fried. Ham and cheese French toast is something kids love, and so do the grownups! Serve ham and cheese French toast with some ketchup for breakfast, brunch or a hot snack at any time, and enjoy the wonderful flavors. This is a snack which is sure to keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal. Serve these sandwiches .....
- 7 Winter Comfort Food RecipesComfort food tends to be hot, thick and tasty, and it can apply to both sweet and savory dishes. What is your favorite comfort food? Do you love winter comfort food recipes as much as I do? Are you into burgers and fries, homemade mac and cheese, onion rings with a creamy dip, a bowl of chili, or how about apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream? Homemade bread is wonderful, as is pizza. Winter comfort food recipes might not be the healthiest of food but balance it out by eating healthy meals at other times, and it can be part of a balanced diet. Although American food is what many of us think of when considering comfort food recipes, other .....
- Quick Thai Green Curry with ChickenThai curries are fragrant and aromatic, and this quick Thai green curry with chicken is no exception. Even though it can be on the table in under half an hour, the flavor is authentic and wonderful. You are not going to be missing anything by making a speedy curry over one that has to be cooked for longer, or takes longer to make. Quick Thai Green Curry with Chicken: Such Great Flavors The following quick Thai green curry with chicken dish is based on chicken breasts and green curry paste, and it also features garlic, ginger and lime juice for aromatic flavor, mushrooms and mushroom soup. Although Thai curry is usually made with coconut .....
- Dutch Speklappen or Speklapjes RecipeI’ve been living in Holland for several years and cooked speklappen, also known as speklapjes, for my husband a number of times. Speklappen or speklapjes (the same thing) means pork belly slices. You can get these quite cheap and they are easy to cook. Also, you can use them in a number of different recipes including the following Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe. The best way to cook these is in a little oil. Get the oil hot in a skillet or frying pan, then add the speklapjes in one layer and fry them. You will see them turn golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking so they cook evenly on both sides. You can .....
- Easy Banana Bread with ApplesauceThis incredibly easy banana bread with applesauce recipe is made by combining bananas with applesauce, eggs, vanilla and flour. Some sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt also go into the mix. Making this is very straightforward because you just have to combine the ingredients in a bowl, transfer the resulting mixture into a greased loaf pan, and then you can bake it until done. Easy Banana Bread with Applesauce: Such a Tempting Snack Served hot with butter and honey, this makes the most amazing snack, and it is a great comfort food. Homemade banana bread appeals to all the family from the youngest to the most senior, and there are all .....