Crab Rangoon Wontons Made with Gyoza Wrappers
I had a problem a couple days back. I was in the mood for crispy wontons and having recently bought a deep fat fryer and knowing I had some wonton skins in the freezer, I didn’t think anything could go wrong. However, the wonton wrappers were broken! I still fancied some crab rangoon wontons though. Can you use gyoza wrappers for wontons, I wondered. Would crab rangoon wontons made with gyoza wrappers actually work? Only one way to find out!
Making Wontons with Gyoza Skins
Gyoza wrappers are round not square and they are thicker than wonton wrappers. When I make gyoza I usually steam them or make potstickers so I was not sure how they would deep fry and couldn’t find any info online, so I thought what the heck, I will give it a go!
To cut a long story short, the crab rangoon wontons made with gyoza wrappers were really good and my husband and I both really enjoyed them.
Different Shaped Wontons
Yes the gyoza wrapper is round so you will end up with half-moon shaped wontons, but who cares when they taste this good? These are very quick to prepare and they deep-fry to perfection in just a couple of minutes. You could probably bake your crab rangoon wontons made with gyoza wrappers too, if you wanted to cut down on the fat, but sometimes deep-frying is unbeatable!
If you are working with a lot of wontons at once, keep the wonton wrappers under a sheet of moist kitchen paper to keep them soft. Else they will dry out and crack when you try to shape them.
If I’m just making a few, like 10 or so, I will lay them out and prepare them all at once. I’ve made them quite a few times now (as you might know if you have seen my other wonton recipes on here) so yes, I can do them pretty quickly.
- 20 wonton or gyoza wrappers
- 8 oz (230g) cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 oz (60g) crabmeat or 2 finely diced sticks of imitation crabmeat
- 1 finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- Few drops Worcestershire sauce and/or soy sauce (optional)
- Oil, to deep-fry
- Sweet chili dipping sauce, to serve
- Stir the cream cheese, crab, green onion, sugar (if using) and salt together to make the filling.
- Stir in some Worcestershire sauce and/or soy sauce too, if you want.
- Divide this filling between the wonton or gyoza wrappers.
- Wet your finger and run it along the outside of each wrapper, then seal the wrappers tightly by pinching them closed.
- Deep fry the wontons at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for a few minutes or until golden brown.
- Fry them in batches if your deep-fryer is small.
- Let the wontons sit for 10 minutes (they will be very, very hot inside) then serve with the chili sauce.
If you have square wonton wrappers use those, else the round gyoza wrappers will work just fine.
Wonton Dipping Sauce Options
This dipping sauce is wonderful with either potstickers or wontons, or you might like to serve sweet chili sauce or another favorite dipping sauce with them instead. If you’re making crab rangoon wontons made with gyoza wrappers why not serve them with this?
The dipping sauce for wontons you serve is your choice, but with crab rangoon I usually go with chili sauce since the filling is creamy and non-spicy so it contrasts well I think.
Of course, you can make your own wonton dipping sauces but if you are going to the trouble of making your own wontons, and yes that can be fiddly, simply opening a bottle of dipping sauce rather than having to make that as well sounds like a good idea all of a sudden, and this one is especially tasty. It will complement your homemade wontons very nicely.
Gyoza Skins – 12 X 12 Oz. Case
Making gyoza skins yourself is not difficult, although it can be fiddly until you get the hang of it, but since gyoza skins online are so cheap and the flavor is pretty much identical to the homemade kind, it makes more sense to buy these skins, which you can use for steamed dumplings or potstickers, than to spend ages making your own.
These Dynasty Gyoza/Potsticker wrappers can be filled with any filling you like, and then they can be steamed or cooked in a pot, or even filled like wontons and deep-fried, for fantastic results. Use these to make crab rangoon wontons made with gyoza wrappers or try another gyoza recipe.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Monterey Style Sweet Corn RecipeCorn is always good especially when you cook the fresh kind and slice it off the cob in sweet, juicy slices. I love this Monterey style sweet corn recipe as a side dish because it seems to complement just about everything from chicken or seafood to steak or game meats. Why You Should Make This Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe This dish is easy to prepare, attractively bright colored and is sure to appeal to even the youngest members of the family – those who are normally picky about vegetable-based sides! I find about a tablespoon of jalapeno enough to give the the Monterey style sweet corn a bit of a bite, but of course some people .....
- Choosing the Best Refrigerator to BuyA refrigerator is a durable appliance and you should choose something you will be happy with for the long term. It is important to research different refrigerators before picking one for this reason. The best refrigerator to buy depends on various factors. The first thing to think about is how much you can afford to spend, then the style you like and the energy saving requirements you have. A mini refrigerator such as a Fosters Husky mini 50l fridge, or another small one, might be what you need or maybe a large fridge-freezer is better suited to your requirements and one of the best refrigerator to buy to fit your needs. Maybe a camping .....
- Chorizo Stuffed SquidThis chorizo stuffed squid recipe really is good. The baby squid are stuffed with chorizo to make this Spanish inspired chorizo stuffed squid meal. The end result is simply amazing. Whether or not you have cooked squid before, you are sure to find this a relatively easy recipe to follow and get right. Chorizo Stuffed Squid: Hmm, Fish and Meat Together? Although using chorizo and squid in the same recipe sounds odd, it really is good and the chorizo adds a beautiful salty finish to the seafood. Have you ever tried bacon-wrapped fish or prosciutto-wrapped shrimp? Seriously, pork and fish do go together really well. I wasn’t convinced but .....
- Chicken Curry Indian Style RecipeThis chicken curry Indian style recipe is just what you need if you want to cheer yourself up on a chilly evening. The chicken and vegetables combine beautifully with the curry spices and the overall effect is fantastic. Serve this with white fluffy rice, naan bread or whatever your heart desires. In a restaurant you may request your curry mild, medium or spicy, and hope the chef’s version of ‘mild’ for example, is the same as yours! We have all been there, asking for a mild dish, and it arrives and blows your head off. Well, in this chicken curry Indian style recipe, it is up to you to add the spices, so you can choose how .....
- Hoisin Celery Wontons in Wonton SoupThis exciting Hoisin celery wontons recipe features a flavorful broth containing homemade pork, hoisin and Chinese celery wontons. It couldn’t be simpler to make and this makes a warming meal for the whole family. You can even make extra wontons and freeze them for next time. This Hoisin celery wontons soup recipe calls for soy sauce paste. Soy sauce paste is similar to soy sauce but thicker. If you can’t get it, just use the regular kind. Be careful not to add too much sesame oil; a little really does go a long way. You can find Chinese celery in any Asian grocery store and it is sweeter than regular celery. If you can’t get it then try .....
- Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume ReviewThis Prada Infusion d’Iris perfume scent has been around since 2007 if you are wondering what year it came out, and this is a beautiful fragrance. Read on for some links to discount Prada Milano if you want to buy some of this gorgeous perfume for yourself or a friend. How Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume Smells You will be able to smell orange as well as orange blossom, mandarin and galbanum and then iris, vetiver and cedar come in afterwards. This delicious fragrance is held in a delicate glass vessel which has a retro look and feel about it. If you haven’t been able to get Prada Infusion d’Iris out of your head it is .....
- Healthy Mediterranean SaladBoasting all kinds of delicious ingredients from lettuce and tomatoes to corn, olives, oregano, and a stunning oil and vinegar dressing, this salad offers a true taste of the Mediterranean, and it makes a lovely side dish for any fish, meat or poultry dish. Consider this healthy Mediterranean salad recipe if you want a fresh and seasonal side dish. Alternatively you can serve it as an appetizer. I can’t stress enough how important it is to wash your lettuce properly because there might be little worms or caterpillars in there (yes, I found one last week!) So separate the leaves and use a salad spinner after rinsing the lettuce in cold .....
- Low Carb Tortilla PizzaThis low carb tortilla pizza is incredibly good and it takes about 10 minutes to make and the same again to cook. Whether or not you have made pizza before, you will find this low carb tortilla pizza incredibly simple, and the sky is the limit as far as toppings are concerned. Use a low-carb tortilla to make your pizza. I recommend the Mama Lupe ones because they’re so good and only 3 carbs (and 60 calories) each. And they are the closest in flavor to regular tortillas. I also tried the La Tortilla brand for my low carb tortilla pizza because those are only 50 calories each but… nope not as good as the Mama Lupe ones. This low .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Stacking Jewelry Tray SystemStackers are the ideal way to store your precious trinkets and the best thing about these is you get to choose which trays you want to have. I have a stacking jewelry tray system and really love it. Got a lot of earrings but not many rings? Then pick some of the earring trays and don’t get a ring tray. Got lots of chunky bracelets? Then get a tray divided into 3 or not divided at all. You can see how this works now! You can personalize your own stacking jewelry tray system and make it as tall as you wish. Choose from the small or large width/depth depending how big you want it and how many trinkets you have to store. A stacking jewelry .....