Asian Meatballs with Sweet Chili Sauce
This is a wonderful recipe and it is also low in carbs. I love this Asian meatballs with sweet chili sauce recipe because I never get tired of the taste. I used to own the site Crackslaw.com where you could find out how to make all kinds of crack slaw recipes, something else that offers a wonderful Asian flavor. I’ve since moved them all on to this blog, so look at our low carb category and you will find plenty more ideas.
Anyway, back to the Asian meatballs with sweet chili sauce. I had some ground beef to use up and some other bits and pieces and I asked my sister for inspiration and she came up with the idea to make these delicious meatballs. Luckily I had all the ingredients I needed.
What Meat to Use
The meatballs can be made using ground pork, beef or even chicken or turkey if that is what you have. You can add as much or as little flavoring as you wish. Some people just like to roll the ground meat into balls and fry those, but I like to add a few seasonings to them.
Put the meat in a bowl and add whatever you like. I added an egg, some green onion, cilantro leaves, fish sauce, 5-spice and a little soy sauce. I then let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes because the meatballs hold together better when cold. You can mix the ingredients together using your fingers or if you are like me and just painted your fingernails with glitter polish (oops) use a fork! Make the meatballs as big or as small as you want.
I used 8 oz of meat and ended up with 8 meatballs. These took about 15 minutes to cook through. Of course if you make them bigger they will take longer. To save even more time, you can flatten them a bit in the pan and make them like mini patties.
Asian Meatballs with Sweet Chili Sauce: Cooking Time
The thicker they are, the longer the cooking time is going to be, so bear that in mind if you are making rice or another side dish which you haven’t begun yet or which might be ready soon. Just so everything is ready at the same time, more or less.
There are other seasonings you might like to add to the meatball mixture including fish paste, chili powder (probably unnecessary if you are serving these with chili sauce) or some 5-spice powder.
The meat has its own flavor of course so go easy on the seasonings. I like to use 80/20 meat because the extra-lean kind has much less flavor and falls apart in the pan. That works well in this Asian meatballs with sweet chili sauce recipe.
Delicious Dipping Sauce
The dipping sauce is really simple to put together. I usually buy sweet chili sauce but, to be honest, this took about 3 minutes to make and it was practically calorie free. Tasted good too!
For the dipping sauce, you need to combine the juice from a lime, some water and sweetener (or sugar if you must) and a touch of fish sauce. I also like to add half a red chili pepper and some garlic salt. That is all you need to do. Just taste it as you go, then you can see if it needs a bit more of anything.
Asian Meatballs with Sweet Chili Sauce: Great Serving Idea
I like to serve the meatballs over iceberg lettuce. Just tear it up into small pieces then put the cooked meatballs on top. Drizzle the chili sauce (it will be watery in consistency) over the top for a spicy, sweet, sharp tang. These all go together so well.
I also made a side dish which was some sauteed red bell pepper and water chestnuts because I wanted to add some more color to the plate. I just cut the water chestnuts into thirds, sliced the bell pepper and sauteed in oil with a touch of soy sauce too, then I spooned this on to the serving plates alongside the meatballs and lettuce.
- 8 oz (230g) ground beef
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ finely diced green onion (optional)
- ½ tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- Pinch of 5-spice powder (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Oil, for frying
- Juice from 1 lime
- Artificial sweetener to taste (or 2 Tbsps white sugar)
- Thai fish sauce, to taste
- ½ cup (125ml) cold water
- ½ finely minced red chili pepper (optional)
- Pinch of garlic salt (optional)
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 cup (handful) stir-fried veggies
- 2 portions fried rice or noodles
- Put the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and combine using your fingers or a fork, until well blended.
- Chill in the bowl for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Combine the chili sauce ingredients and taste.
- Add more of any ingredient it needs.
- Shape the meat mixture into 8 meatballs and fry in oil, turning occasionally, until cooked through.
- The oil should come halfway up the meatballs and be hot when you add them to it.
- Serve the meatballs with any of the optional ingredients you like.
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Cook Prime Rib for Juicy ResultsPrime rib is often called the king of beef cuts, and if you like your beef juicy, tender and delicious, you might like to learn more about how to cook prime rib yourself at home. Also known as a standing rib roast, prime rib is marbled with fat to keep it succulent, and it is very easy to cook too. You just need to start it in the oven on a high temperature to brown it nicely, then turn the oven down so it can finish cooking without the meat drying out. The center of your prime rib roast should be pink or red while the thinner tail-ends will be brown and more done. This is good because people get to choose if they want their meat .....
- Banana Wontons with Chocolate Dipping SauceDessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but they are even more tempting served with a hot chocolate sauce. Save time by buying a chocolate sauce or impress your dinner guests by making your own. Why We Love Sweet Wontons Dessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but .....
- Yummy 3 Minute Ice Coffee RecipeI have always loved ice coffee but find it prohibitively expensive in the coffee shops. There are plenty of ice coffee recipes online but many are too time-consuming to bother with, advising you to brew the coffee for 18 hours with mint leaves or add an array of ingredients which you probably don’t already have. That was my inspiration behind this 3 minute ice coffee recipe. The following recipe is for a basic ice coffee but of course you can jazz it up however you wish, adding syrups, sprinkles and cream on top, a shot of liqueur or whatever tickles your taste buds today. Flavored Syrups for this 3 Minute Ice Coffee Recipe I have a .....
- Creamy Potato Salad with BaconPotato salad is always good but add bacon and you have a really mouthwatering side dish. The following creamy potato salad with bacon is a recipe which is very simple to make; the potato salad will keep for a few days once prepared. Serve it chilled or room temperature. Some people even like it served warm, as soon as it is made. Use boiling potatoes to make potato salad, not mashing potatoes which tend to disintegrate too easily. The choice of dressing is up to you. While a lot of people just use their favorite mayonnaise, you might prefer another kind of creamy dressing for this creamy potato salad with bacon, else you can use half mayo .....
- Thirst Quenching Watermelon SmoothieSmoothie recipes are always good. Whether you make one as a speedy breakfast, as a drink/snack or anytime you are thirsty but want something thick and satisfying, a smoothie recipe always comes to the rescue and there are certainly plenty to choose from. I love this watermelon smoothie recipe among others. You can blend fruit with yogurt to make a watermelon smoothie recipe, or use cream, milk or fruit juice. You can also add ice cubes to the blender (not all blenders, but the good ones!) and make your smoothie refreshingly icy cold. Watermelon Smoothie Recipe: Just 3 Simple Ingredients This watermelon smoothie recipe features watermelon, .....
- Chicken Livers Middle Eastern StyleChicken is one of the most popular meats worldwide, although many of us will gladly buy the breast or drumsticks but be hesitant about the livers – enter chicken livers Middle Eastern style. Once you know this recipe you will want to make it over and over! Once you try chicken livers though, you are sure to change your mind, because the flavor and texture are both very enjoyable, and these livers are really versatile too – a Middle Eastern flavor works very nicely, but there are plenty of other cuisines using these livers, each adding their own flavors and using their own take on flavors to complement the distinctive liver taste. .....
- Ruby’s Copycat Peanut Butter Wolf CocktailI first tried this gorgeous peanut butter wolf cocktail at Ruby Burgers in Queen Street, Exeter, currently my favorite American diner style restaurant in England! Although I don’t know the exact recipe they use, I have a copycat recipe for peanut butter wolf cocktail here which tastes very similar if you wish to recreate the flavor of this cocktail in your own home. It’s not the healthiest beverage but hey, festive times are a-coming and it’s always worth having a cocktail recipe like this up your sleeve! And consider trying my copycat version of their hoisin duck brioche too! Delicious Ingredients for Peanut Butter Wolf .....
- How to Make Rice SaladLearning how to make rice salad is very easy and there are so many different ways you can prepare this delicious dish. Rice salad is perfect for lunch or as part of a buffet, and you can also serve it alongside steak or with chicken or fish. Absolutely anyone can make rice salad recipes and once you are familiar with the recipe you can experiment with other ingredients to make the dish taste different. How to Make Rice Salad: Simple Yet Perfect There are not many steps you need to make this dish, which is why it is so simple. If you enjoy being creative in the kitchen you will love making it because you can be imaginative with what goes into .....
- Chinese Chicken SaladChinese chicken salad is a tasty, nutritious option and it makes a wonderful lunch. Perhaps you usually have ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or Italian dressing over mixed leaves and you are getting tired of it. Or it could be you are simply looking for new lunch inspiration. Whichever is the case, this Chinese chicken salad is very simple to prepare and the flavors work wonderfully together. What is Chinese Chicken Salad? You can use a julienne peeler to cut the vegetables into matchstick shapes, or if you don’t have one cut them by hand. We are using romaine and baby leaves in this dish too, along with grilled chicken, edamame .....
- Simple Zucchini PancakesThese simple zucchini pancakes make a great breakfast and you can make them in advance, so what is not to love about that? Low in calories and fat (especially if you fry them in cooking spray rather than butter or oil) they can be enjoyed with sausage or bacon, or simply as they are, perhaps with some garlic mushrooms on the side or a broiled tomato. Try these simple zucchini pancakes and you will be surprised how great they are. Different Types of Pancakes Pancakes range from thin and crepe-like to thick and fluffy, and different people prefer them different ways. And yes some even prefer these simple zucchini pancakes. Personally I am more .....