Authentic Italian Meatballs with Basil
These delicious and authentic Italian meatballs with basil can be served hot or cold and they make a really nice starter recipe. Serve them with a tomato-based dip or a creamy dip for the best results. You can use a shop-bought tomato salsa or garlic mayonnaise dip if you want to, or put something together yourself.
Different Kinds of Meatballs
There are lots of meatballs recipes to choose from and you have probably tasted Swedish meatballs, pork meatballs or other meatballs recipes before. This recipe for authentic Italian meatballs with basil is very simple and the meatballs are steamed rather than fried or baked, to keep them juicy and succulent.
For a different flavor in this authentic Italian meatballs with basil dish, you could replace the basil with parsley or cilantro, but remember that fresh herbs will give the nicest taste. You can also try using minced pork or minced lamb. Fresh mint is nice if you want to use lamb and any herbs are good with minced pork.
If you are making authentic Italian meatballs with basil for a buffet you can serve each one with a toothpick in it so people don’t have to use their fingers. If you are making them for a dinner party, you can give each person three or four meatballs and a little dish of sauce for dipping.
A Very Popular Appetizer Choice
Meatballs are one of the most popular meat starters recipes and they make a great appetizer before pretty much any main course. Who can resist a juicy meatball? Certainly not me.
You can spice the authentic Italian meatballs with basil up with a little Tabasco sauce if you want to, else just follow the recipe as it is and let the delicious beef flavor shine through. If you’re making these for a crowd, perhaps omit the spice in case not everyone likes hot food.
- 500g (1 lb) lean ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Using your hands, combine the beef with the basil, garlic, salt, black pepper and half the olive oil.
- Shape 40 small balls.
- Half fill a saucepan with water and bring it to a boil on the stove.
- Use a plate to cover the pan and put the rest of the olive oil on the plate with the water.
- Turn the heat down to medium so the water in the saucepan simmers gently.
- Put the meatballs on the plate on top of the saucepan and use another upturned plate to cover the first plate.
- A glass bowl is good so you can see through it.
- Let the meatballs steam for half an hour, turning them over halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve the meatballs with a tomato-based dip and fresh salad leaves.
These authentic Italian meatballs with basil are simple enough for anyone to make, even if you are new to making meat starters. Meatballs are full of flavor and their bite-size dimensions makes them perfect as buffet food, as well as a starter for a dinner party. If you are looking for the best meat starters, what about making these delicious and juicy authentic Italian meatballs with basil? Serve them hot with salad leaves and a tasty dip and this will be an attractive and appealing starter recipe which everyone will really enjoy.
Some More Hot Content For You
- School Backpacks for GirlsSchool backpacks for girls come in a huge array of different styles, colors and designs, which will ensure that you can choose a style that your little girl will love. There are several different elements that you need to consider before purchasing the backpack. These include the durability, price, style and versatility of the backpack. The age of your child will often determine the size of backpack that you need to choose, as older children will need larger bags to carry books and materials. You will be amazed at the amount of equipment which your child will need for school. However, you should not expect your child to lift a backpack that .....
- 12 Crockpot Recipes for Weight LossThe following crockpot recipes for weight loss are perfect for making in a slow cooker. One of the benefits to using a crockpot is you can tip the ingredients in there in the morning, then go to work or out for the day. When you get home your meal will be ready! This mean you don’t have to stand over the stove, nibbling on snacks you shouldn’t be having, but you can eat your healthy meal right away. A crockpot, also known as a slow cooker, is an electrical appliance used to gently simmer food. The temperature is kept low so your food slowly cooks over a period of hours. A basic model should have a low and a high setting while others might .....
- 5 Great Websites about SpaceLike many people, I’m fascinated by space and sometimes I like to find new websites about space and wonder at it all. If you think about it, the Earth is just one tiny dot in the middle of a seemingly unlimited universe and, although we have some idea of what is out there, at least closest to us, there is so much we don’t know! I find the enormity of it all to be a thing of wonder, and now that technology is being developed at such a speedy rate, the space photos and new information available is incredible. When I see a headline in the newspaper about space or a link to look at photos, I often click through out of curiosity, but .....
- Classic Crackslaw RecipePerhaps you have read about the classic crackslaw recipe on a low carb forum or one of your friends has been raving about it but what is crack slaw and why is it called that? Well, first things first, crackslaw is supposed to be addictive, which is how the name came about, but don’t worry, there is nothing illegal in it! It is addictive in a good way because it is a filling low-carb meal packed with nutritious ingredients. What’s In a Classic Crackslaw Recipe? This is an oriental inspired recipe featuring ground meat (or poultry or a vegetarian alternative) as well as cabbage or coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot, usually). The .....
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....
- Delicious Curried Deviled EggsDeviled eggs make a nice dish before any main course or you can serve them at a buffet or party. Curried deviled eggs are especially nice and the curry flavor goes really well with the egg taste. You can add a bit of sweet relish or minced sun-dried tomatoes too if you want to. You might also want to add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce or a bit of Dijon mustard to spice this deviled eggs recipe up. If you prefer plain deviled eggs, just leave out the curry powder and green onions. Most people will prefer the eggs slightly curried though. More Tips for Curried Deviled Eggs If you don’t have a piping bag to pipe the egg yolk filling .....
- Easy Chinese Chicken Stir FryThis easy Chinese chicken stir fry is the simplest Chinese recipe ever, and once you make it you will certainly want to make it again and again. We are using chicken and vegetables, along with a flavorful sauce, and this makes a wonderful dinner served with rice, noodles or your favorite Asian side dish. You will need skinless, boneless chicken breast to make this easy Chinese chicken stir fry, along with vegetables (either snow peas and water chestnuts or carrots, or anything else you like, such as mushrooms, bamboo shoots, broccoli or bell pepper). The sauce for the easy Chinese chicken stir fry is up to you. I like to combine 2 .....
- Easy Sukiyaki RecipeOne of my favorite Japanese dishes has to be sukiyaki. This is similar to shabu-shabu, and is a hot pot style dish with thinly sliced beef and vegetables in a sweet, tangy sauce. You can also get vegetarian sukiyaki recipes. This versatile and easy sukiyaki recipe is perfect for cool winter evenings, and you can present or even cook it in a pot in the middle of the dinner table. The ingredients are usually dipped into raw, beaten eggs before being eaten, although this is not so prevalent outside Japan. An easy sukiyaki recipe is usually a winter dish in Japan, often served at year-end parties. Thinly sliced beef is usually the meat that goes .....
- Deep-Fry Like a Chinese ChefAlthough stir-frying is more popular in Chinese cuisine than deep-frying, it is worth learning both. Discover how to deep-fry like a Chinese chef and it will open up many new possibilities of Chinese dishes you can prepare. You can either use a wok or a deep-fat fryer for deep-frying. If you are using a wok, slide the food in carefully, as you will not want spattering if you are going to professionally deep-fry like a Chinese chef. Add the ingredients in small amounts and do not crowd the wok, else you might get spillage or spattering, or the temperature might drop too fast. Most recipes will suggest that you heat to oil to about 365 degrees .....