Best Starter Recipes with Pineapple
Pineapple is more than just a fruit and more than merely a dessert ingredient. You can make starter recipes (as they are called in the UK) or appetizers (as those of you in the US and Canada will know them) with pineapple because its sweet flavor contrasts beautifully with savory flavors like cheese, bacon, or chicken. There are starter recipes with pineapple for all occasions.
Why not serve a fruit salad or pineapple sorbet – who’s to say an appetizer has to be savory Pineapples are an excellent fruit to include in the family’s diet, and you will all benefit from having this delicious food daily.
This tropical fruit has a sweet taste with a slightly acidic flavor, making it ideal for both desserts and savory dishes. Combine it with other fruit like grapes, strawberries and apple, and serve with a cheese dip or chocolate dip, or toss with fruit and add a honeyed syrup to make a fruit salad.
Something else you can do, if you want starter recipes with pineapple ideas, is finely chop cooked chicken or turkey and toss with pineapple and mayonnaise to make a creamy spread for crackers or baguette slices. Add some salt and pepper and maybe minced green onion. It is better to serve the salad on the side though because it can soak through crackers and make them soggy. Serve it with the crackers or bread slices on the side and let people scoop up their own serving.
Many Asian influenced dishes will include pineapple, and they are lovely as a starter regardless of how you prepare, present and serve them.
How to Prepare Pineapple
- 1 baby romaine lettuce, with leaves separated
- 2 chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 sliced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted cashews
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 inch piece fresh root ginger
- 3 oz (100g) fresh pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 fl oz (50ml) dry sherry
- 2 fl oz (50ml) ketchup
- 2 fl oz (50ml) rice vinegar
- 2 fl oz (50ml) soy sauce
- 5 fl oz (125ml) chicken stock
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 fl oz (50ml) vegetable oil
- Mix everything for the sauce, except for the cornflour together in a bowl
- Heat the oil in a wok and stir fry the chicken for 4 minutes
- Add the other ingredients and fry for 1 or 2 minutes
- Add the sauce to the chicken and cook for 5 minutes
- Stir in the cornflour and wait until the sauce has thickened
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a plate and spoon the mixture on to the leaves
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve
Facts About Pineapples – Learn Something New!
Knowing When to Pick and Serve
Pineapples do not continue to ripen once picked, which means that they need to be cultivated at peak ripeness. Then you can make the best starter recipes with pineapple which have a fresh flavor and perfect texture. Therefore, for people outside of the growing countries, pineapples can be expensive to purchase, as they must be carefully handled.
Top quality pineapples will have a rich color with no greening. They will be soft to touch, but not too soft, as this indicates that they are too ripe, and cannot be used.
Rich in Vitamins and Nutrients
Pineapples are rich in vitamin C and have a dietary enzyme, which is excellent to tenderize meat.
This makes the fruit excellent to eat with different meats either grilled or baked. However, you may find that this enzyme causes a tingling sensation in your mouth, which can be painful or at least uncomfortable. There are lots of starter recipes with pineapple and meat to think about making.
Pineapples are also placed in the negative calorie section, which is perfect for people on low calorie diets. The high fiber within the pineapples is fantastic and can help your digestive system. There are also levels of vitamin A, iron and calcium present, which are perfect to include in your diet.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Classic Deviled Eggs RecipeDeviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs. The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe. Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or .....
- Chinese Prawn Toast RecipeChinese prawn toast, or Chinese shrimp toast, is very popular and makes a tasty hot starter. You don’t have to serve Chinese food as the main course since this Chinese prawn toast recipe goes nicely as an appetizer before a Thai main course, Indian main course or anything else you like. How Does a Chinese Prawn Toast Recipe Taste? These little appetizers often have sesame seeds on but that is not essential. The toasts should be crispy without being burned, and taste fishy without being too fishy. Prawn toasts usually feature on Chinese restaurant menus because their wonderful crunch makes them very appetizing. Some More Hot Content For .....
- Vegan Squash Crostini RecipeThis is a delicious vegan dip which sits on crispy crostini. This vegan squash crostini recipe is a great appetizer for vegans and you can use sweet potato instead of squash if you prefer. You don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy this lovely vegan recipe, and if you are having a mixed crowd (ie some vegans and some veggies and others who are carnivores) this is a nice offering because it’s suitable for everyone. What is Crostini? Before you make this vegan squash crostini recipe you might like to know more about the dish. Crostini means toasted bread, and of course the Italian word sounds much more elegant. It can be topped with .....
- Authentic Italian Meatballs with BasilThese delicious and authentic Italian meatballs with basil can be served hot or cold and they make a really nice starter recipe. Serve them with a tomato-based dip or a creamy dip for the best results. You can use a shop-bought tomato salsa or garlic mayonnaise dip if you want to, or put something together yourself. Different Kinds of Meatballs There are lots of meatballs recipes to choose from and you have probably tasted Swedish meatballs, pork meatballs or other meatballs recipes before. This recipe for authentic Italian meatballs with basil is very simple and the meatballs are steamed rather than fried or baked, to keep them juicy and .....
- Kedgeree Made with Couscous or RiceThis kedgeree recipe is a traditional British breakfast from colonial India, offering a great balance of smoky and spicy flavors. Enjoy this for lunch or dinner. It is also good for breakfast if you fancy something fishy. Yes this dish is usually made with rice but try kedgeree made with couscous if you want something deliciously different. Shrimp and haddock are combined with the rice or couscous and there are hardboiled eggs and onion in there as well, and some lemon juice which brings out the lovely fishy flavors. This kedgeree made with couscous recipe is much simpler to make than you might have thought, so why not try this at the .....
- Authentic Spanish Omelet RecipeSpanish omelet, or tortilla espanola as it is also known, is a combination of potatoes and eggs, giving you not only a ton of flavor, but also a protein and energy boost. You can eat a Spanish omelet recipe hot, chilled or at room temperature. I Love This Spanish Omelet Recipe! When I lived in the Canaries and mainland Spain, a Spanish omelet recipe was one of my favorite tapas, and sometimes I would indulge in a Spanish omelet sandwich in crusty bread with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and a touch of ketchup too. Oh – and a slice of cheese. Now that was a real treat! The main ingredients you need to make tortilla espanola are eggs and .....
- Succulent Shrimp SandwichesShrimp, or prawns as they are also known, are great for making succulent shrimp sandwiches. Simply peel and cook them, then toss with mayonnaise, adding in some salt and black pepper for flavor, and spread this over white bread (or whole wheat if you prefer) to make the most delicious little succulent shrimp sandwiches. These succulent shrimp sandwiches are nice for lunch or as a snack, or you could enjoy them mid-afternoon with tea or coffee. If you have large shrimp, cut them in half. Smaller ones can be left as they are. You can use thawed, fresh or canned shrimp in this succulent shrimp sandwiches recipe but ensure they are well drained .....
- Best Indian Omelet RecipeThis omelet makes a great side dish for a curry if you don’t want to serve rice or naan bread or if you are looking for low carb side dish ideas. You can also eat it by itself as a meal or snack. This is the best Indian omelet recipe to choose if you are looking to spice things up a little and enjoy a brand new flavor. What is in the Best Indian Omelet Recipe Along with the eggs which are of course the main ingredient in any omelet, we are using spinach, shallots, cilantro, turmeric and chili. You can omit the spinach if you want, or replace it with sliced mushrooms. You can also swap the shallots for a small yellow onion or omit the .....
- How to Cook Fresh MusselsLearn how to cook fresh mussels and you will be able to prepare this delicious seafood whenever you’re in the mood. Mussels can be purchased or you can pick your own, depending of course where you live. If you are collecting your own then ensure the water is unpolluted. Mussels are nicer during the colder months which are not in the breeding season. If you are shopping for them, then shop around and choose ones with tightly closed shells. When cooked, you will want juicy, plump flesh and the taste of the sea. Mussels are white if male and orange if female, so color does not indicate freshness. Knowing how to cook fresh mussels means .....
- A Delicious Recipe for Braised Stuffed CalamariThe braised stuffed calamari in this recipe sure looks good. Breadcrumbs, olives, capers, garlic, parsley and more are combined for a tasty filling for your squid. Laura Vitale talks you through everything you need for the recipe and then shows you how to prepare your ingredients to make the filling. I liked this braised stuffed calamari video because I found it very easy to follow and I love the resulting stuffed squid. I think it looks great! And also because this is so similar to the way I usually make my own squid so Laura Vitale is on to a winner here. Just watch the video through and then as soon as it finishes you will wish to .....