Duck Galettes Recipe
These delicious galettes are easy and fast to make. You need to chill them partway through the recipe so you could make them in advance up until then if you are in a hurry. This duck galettes recipe is a highly unusual appetizer recipe which you might want to consider.
Duck Galettes Recipe: French in Origin
The correct term for one of these galettes is a ‘Breton galette’ since a galette is any kind of flat French savory cake, while a Breton galette means a flat, buckwheat pancake, so there is a difference.
Including duck and potatoes, this recipe is not your average starter recipe so if you are looking for something extra special perhaps this will fit the bill (no pun intended). The flavor is excellent and this dish is suitable for novices in the kitchen.
This duck galettes recipe is quite a hearty dish, featuring luxurious flavors and a rich mouth-feel, but it is still suitable as a starter recipe because you will be serving appetizer-size portions, unless you do want to have it as an entree, in which case just serve bigger portions.
- 4 peeled potatoes
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 200g (7 oz) duck confit leg meat
- 55g (2 oz) butter
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Butter and olive oil for frying
- Salt and pepper
- Parboil 2 potatoes, then peel and grate them.
- Boil the other potatoes then mash them without butter or milk and leave to cool.
- Melt the butter in a thick bottomed pan, add the onion and cook until softened a bit.
- Mix together the grated potatoes and orange zest.
- Add the red onion, duck meat, parsley, mashed potato and some of the duck fat to bind.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape small balls of the mixture with your hands and press them into an 8 cm (3¼ inch) diameter cooking ring to make 1cm (1/2 inch) thick cakes.
- Chill until firm.
- Heat a knob of butter and some oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan and cook the duck galettes for 3 or 4 minutes until browned and crisp.
How unusual is this duck galettes recipe? Featuring duck, red onion and potato, these thin and crispy pancakes are sure to be the talk of any dinner party, for all the right reasons of course. In the photo the galette is folded up on all 4 sides and topped with salad but they are also nice plain. If you are in the mood for French cuisine, these are a great idea.
Perhaps you were considering duck a l’orange for the main dish but another option is to use the duck and orange to make this starter recipe and perhaps make a chicken dish for the main course. Include white beans and parsley for that French flavor and you will have both a French starter and a French main course to remember for all the right reasons. This French cassoulet recipe is especially delicious as a main, after serving the duck galettes as a starter.
Image courtesy of Chatani, on Flickr.com
Some More Hot Content For You
- All About Easy Wonton RecipesI love discovering new recipes. I also love sharing them, hence the creation of Easy Wonton Recipe, the site where my wonton-related content was before I shifted it over here! Cooking is fun and I especially love cooking for others and seeing their eyes light up as they enjoy my culinary creations. There are plenty of easy wonton recipes for every palate and I often like to try new ones out. A lot of people don’t realize that it is possible to make the most amazing flavored dishes using basic ingredients and good, wholesome, fresh produce. You don’t need to combine thirty ingredients to make a tasty meal and, as long as .....
- Wonderful Winter Dessert IdeasWinter is a wonderful time to try out some of the more rich dessert options available. In the warmer months, you won’t want to spend much time in the kitchen and baking is definitely out of the question. Standing near an oven in the winter, though, might even be welcome and settling down with a nice piece of cheesecake is always a treat. That’s why it pays to know some good winter dessert ideas. Cheesecake is a great recipe to try out in the winter. The colder temperature lends to the setting process and leaving the cheesecake in the oven for an hour or so won’t be a problem. Cheesecake can come in many flavors, which is helpful when .....
- Dutch Speklappen or Speklapjes RecipeI’ve been living in Holland for several years and cooked speklappen, also known as speklapjes, for my husband a number of times. Speklappen or speklapjes (the same thing) means pork belly slices. You can get these quite cheap and they are easy to cook. Also, you can use them in a number of different recipes including the following Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe. The best way to cook these is in a little oil. Get the oil hot in a skillet or frying pan, then add the speklapjes in one layer and fry them. You will see them turn golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking so they cook evenly on both sides. You can .....
- How to Plan Kitchen ImprovementsIf you want to improve your kitchen it is vital to plan it properly. If you don’t plan well, you might end up with an expensive bad kitchen which you are unhappy with. This is why it’s vital to learn how to plan kitchen layout, improvements and everything else. In the past, kitchen planning involved the stove, sink and refrigerator work triangle and the work surfaces took second place. Today there is a lot more to think about. Do you want a modern style kitchen? Do you want a rustic style kitchen with a kitchen pantry? Do you have your own ideas about how to blend styles to give your kitchen your own personal touch? It is common these .....
- Watermelon Mint Detox WaterDetox water recipes are all the rage these days, and little wonder when the concept is basically about making plain water delicious so you want to drink plenty of it. Water is absolutely essential but a lot of people struggle to drink enough of it. Once you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated and in need of this watermelon mint detox water or something similar. The obvious answer to this problem is flavoring regular water (tap water, bottled water, filtered water, whatever you like) with fruit, perhaps adding some kind of fresh herbs or spice to boost the flavor further. This recipe is one of my favorites. We are incorporating watermelon .....
- Easy Starter Recipe IdeasStarter recipes as they are called in the UK, or appetizer recipes as they are known in the US, are little snacks which are served before the main dish. There are easy starter recipe ideas to suit every occasion. There are hot and cold starter recipes that everyone can prepare, no matter whether you happen to be a newbie in the kitchen or an experienced and seasoned chef. So what are you planning to make as your New Year’s Eve starter recipes? A parma ham and melon starter, prawn cocktail, cheeseballs, canapes or something else? Keep reading if you are still looking for New Year’s Eve appetizer inspiration. Easy Starter Recipe .....
- Finnish Beef and Onion Pasties RecipeA wonderful quick recipe which features beef, onion and more. These little Finnish beef and onion pasties are one of our most interesting starter recipes and they are so easy to make. Serve these Finnish beef and onion pasties hot, warm or chilled and you can guarantee they will be popular. In fact you might want to double up the recipe, especially if you are catering for a buffet or a big gathering. Not Too Different from British Food Not everyone is accustomed to eating Finnish food but these Finnish beef and onion pasties could pass for British cuisine. The tasty pastry encloses the beef filling and these hot little treats will certainly .....
- Best Eggplant GratinEggplant has a unique flavor and it works really well as a gratin, when you add a crispy crumb topping and get it really crispy and golden brown. This eggplant gratin could be a side dish for chicken, fish, meat, or even a vegetarian entree served with bread or another starch on the side. Tasty Versatile Eggplant Gratin Eggplant, known as aubergine in some places, is easy to find, and you can do plenty with it such as making the classic dish moussaka, in which it is layered with ground meat, or you can batter it and deep-fry it for a crispy snack, or even take a look at the following eggplant gratin recipe and discover this brand new idea .....
- Anchovy Wrapped OlivesThis anchovy wrapped olives recipe is very simple and shows you how to make anchovy wrapped olives. The recipe is perhaps one of the simplest you have seen, since you only need two different ingredients to make it, and this basic salty snack is beautiful whether you enjoy it with a cold beer, a glass of wine, a soft drink or even a warm beverage. Anchovies are salty, fishy and have an interesting texture, while olives are smooth, soft and the pimento filling is somewhat sweet. Anchovy Wrapped Olives: Making Your Own When paired, these two ingredients offer a beautiful savory flavor and a wonderful balance. These anchovy wrapped olives are .....
- 7 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh RecipesChicken thighs are a wonderful option. Not only are they cheap and easy to find, but they are also very tasty, boating plenty of flavor. You can make all kinds of delicious boneless skinless chicken thigh recipes and you are sure to adore the taste. Unlike chicken breast, which can dry out quickly, the higher fat content in chicken thighs keeps them succulent and moist. They are forgiving even if you overcook them a bit. If you spot some on sale in the grocery store, grab them because there are plenty of wonderful boneless skinless chicken thigh recipes you can rustle up using chicken thighs. You can expect a great flavor from a good chicken .....