Japanese Beef Teriyaki Recipe
This Japanese beef teriyaki recipe is so delicious. It looks good, smells wonderful and tastes even better. Beef teriyaki is a very popular Japanese dish and can be served as a starter or as part of a main course. Serve this before your chicken or fish main course perhaps, and you can even continue the Asian theme by having a Chinese main dish.
What is Teriyaki Sauce?
The teriyaki sauce for this Japanese beef teriyaki recipe can be bought or made fresh, and it is a sweet, thick, dark sauce. Chicken is nice with teriyaki and beef is also good.If you like sweet, sticky sauces you will certainly like this one. It offers a typical flavor and there is nothing else quite like it. I love teriyaki. Next to hoisin (which is Chinese of course) teriyaki is my favorite Asian sauce I think.
The teriyaki element is homemade in this Japanese beef teriyaki recipe, so you can get a feel for preparing it yourself. The red food coloring does improve the look of the finished dish but if you do not have any, or you prefer not to use food coloring in your recipes, you can of course leave it out.
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) honey
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ kg (1 lb) beef sirloin tip, cut into 5 x 2 x ½ cm (2 x 1 x ⅕ inch) strips
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Few drops red food coloring
- Blend the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, onion and honey.
- Add the meat and marinate for an hour.
- Remove the meat, keeping the marinade, and brown in all over in hot oil in a wok.
- Stir a mixture of cornstarch, water and red food coloring into the marinade in a pan.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the meat to glaze it, remove and drain on a wire rack.
- Insert a toothpick into each meat strip and serve with the sauce. Serve 6 meat strips and a helping of sauce to each person.
Teriyaki sauce is really sweet, sticky and delicious, and it is always nice combined with meat whether you choose chicken, beef or something else. Nothing tells your dinner guests you love them as much as presenting a completely homemade dish, and I do not mean opening a bottle of teriyaki sauce and pouring it over beef, but making your own teriyaki sauce from scratch. That is the way to the diners’ hearts. This Japanese beef teriyaki recipe offers a wonderful insight into Japanese cuisine and you will find it simple to put together.
Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- Pork Steaks in Mustard SaucePork loin steaks or chops are ideal for this recipe, and these tend to be very affordable when compared to some other types of meat. This pork steaks in mustard sauce recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner and you’ll find them to be popular with the whole family. Pork is juicy and tasty, and it is also quite versatile, making an appearance in everything from spicy recipes to mild ones or even fruity ones. Pork goes nicely with apple. The following pork steaks in mustard sauce recipe features a mustard sauce though, proving that pork also works with piquant flavors. Choose Your Cream and Mustard Types Choose from regular sour cream or .....
- Pesto Spaghetti with Easy MeatballsThis is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it! Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like. We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some .....
- Authentic Egg Fried Rice without Soy SauceEgg fried rice without soy sauce is a dish lots of people want to make but since soy sauce is one of the key ingredients it can be puzzling working out how to get around that. Fried rice is one of the best-known Chinese dishes, but the authentic recipe is quite different to what you might be used to. For example, have you tried making egg fried rice without soy sauce? That is how it is made in China, well in many parts of the country, and the more authentic option in many cases. Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Such a Tempting Dish to Make Egg fried rice is the dish to make when you want to use leftovers to rustle up something quick and .....
- Cheese Baked OmeletThere are lots of egg recipes to choose from if you want to enjoy eggs for breakfast, and this delicious, filling ingredient can be prepared in various ways. This cheese baked omelet is just one of your options. Boiled, scrambled or fried eggs are always good, or you can make an omelet, either conventionally on the stove, or, if your stove is crowded with other breakfast delights such as bacon, sausage and mushrooms being fried, you can make an omelet in the oven. Keep things easy using just eggs, milk or cream and a little onion to give the omelet some crunch. You can also add extra vegetables like bell pepper, mushrooms or even some .....
- Making Appetizers Everyone Will LoveThere is a lot to be said for sticking to classic recipes when making appetizers. Everyone loves crisps, olives, cheese, chicken wings and cold cuts after all, don’t they? Even though this might seem like the safe route to take when planning easy party appetizers, it is fun to create memorable appetizers too. Obviously, you want your starters to be memorable for all the right reasons, not because one of your guests suffered third degree burns when biting into a piping hot appetizer or stained his shirt with a messy red dip because you forgot to provide napkins! Making appetizers everyone will love is a mixture of creativity, know-how .....
- Elegant Seafood Fettucine with Lemon and DillTry this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe if you are out to impress. This is the perfect go-to recipe for a dinner party because it pairs seafood with pasta and it looks like a true gourmet dish on the plate, although to be honest it is really easy to put together. As well as the fettuccine pasta you will need mixed seafood, and for your flavors you will be adding lemon, dill and a touch of Tabasco sauce – flavors which are amazing with seafood. For this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe, the pasta is cooked in one pan while the seafood mixture is cooked in another. You then have the choice of either combining .....
- Steamed Couscous with FruitThis steamed couscous with fruit recipe is light, aromatic and really delicious. Combining the taste of couscous with sweet juicy fruit, this makes a great side dish or you can have it alone for lunch or a light supper. You could also consider doubling or tripling the steamed couscous with fruit recipe to make a nice buffet or potluck dish. It is fine to stand at room temperature for a while since there is no meat or eggs in there. Couscous is a lovely grain to cook with and you can use plain couscous or Israeli couscous (otherwise known as pearl couscous). It makes a nice change from rice or potatoes, and you can make salads, side dishes .....
- Fried Brie with Hot Cranberry Sauce RecipeFried Brie with hot cranberry sauce is a traditional starter and with this recipe, you can make it from start to finish in just a few minutes. Brie is a versatile cheese and is just as good served cold in a sandwich as served fried like this. Personally I’m not keen on cold Brie but I can’t get enough of this fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce! What is Brie Cheese? Brie is a soft cow’s milk cheese which is widely available. It’s named after Brie, the French region where it originates from. Perhaps you have only had it cold, sliced, perhaps with French bread and grapes, but it is really good in this fried Brie with .....
- Smoked Salmon Pizza with CapersIf you are looking for new ideas for pizza, something other than the meat feast or tomato and cheese pizza you usually have, consider this brand new take on the Italian favorite. Topping with smoked salmon and capers, this offers a fresh, light flavor, and a gourmet appeal. If you are looking for an elegant Italian recipe which is easy to prepare rather than fussy, consider this smoked salmon pizza with capers and enjoy the smooth texture of the salmon and the salty little bursts of flavor in the capers as well as the satisfying pizza crust. The smoked salmon pizza with capers takes a while to make, especially since the dough is homemade and .....
- Delish Fish Crack SlawI love trying new ways of making crackslaw, and fish makes a nice, light alternative to meat. Of course, it is carb-free just like meat is, and you can choose anything between sole for a light flavor or cod for a richer flavor. I really enjoyed this fish crack slaw and want to make it often. There are plenty of other types of fish you can use in fish crack slaw as well and examples that come to my mind include tilapia, snapper, halibut, monkfish, dogfish, basa fish, and haddock. As long as it’s skinless and boneless it will work. Don’t use imitation seafood in fish crack slaw though, like those imitation crab pieces or crab .....