Moroccan Appetizer Recipes
Experimenting with food and flavors is part of the fun when discovering new recipes and Moroccan food is often considered to be exotic and exciting. Why not experiment with Moroccan appetizer recipes and discover a brand new flavor sensation?
Authentic Moroccan cuisine is straightforward, yet full of distinctive flavors and aromas. There is no other cuisine quite like it.
You might never have considered cooking Moroccan food before but there is a huge array of different Moroccan appetizer recipes to choose from and no matter which ingredients you like to use, or what taste you want to aim for, there is sure to be a perfect recipe for you to make.
Understanding the Preparation and Cooking Methods
Moroccan cuisine is straightforward to prepare. It does need a specific cooking method to help intensify the flavors though.
Many recipes will require a tagine, which is a traditional cooking vessel made of clay. If you are fortunate enough to own a tagine, they are an excellent addition to every kitchen, although you can cook Moroccan food without one.
Tagines are excellent at locking the flavors inside the food, and they provide a quick method to cook dishes. They are also ideal as a serving vessel for the table, ensuring that your food remains hot until served.
Once cooked, your Moroccan appetizer recipes can be served with olives, flat-bread and cheese, to create an excellent feast.
The style of cooking and ingredients used will make the Moroccan appetizer recipes very healthy, and produce flavors which you might never have tasted before now.
The spices which are included in many of the recipes are spicy but you can add less if you are concerned the dish might be too hot. This style of food is based on Northern African influences, which is why it is delicious. Try some Moroccan appetizer recipes and see for yourself.
The Tagine Cookbook, on Amazon
How to Use a Tagine
How to cook with this handy Moroccan cooking pot
Learning how to cook with a Tagine is rewarding and will provide you with an alternative cooking method in your kitchen. A Tagine is a North African earthenware pot, which can help to create many diverse dishes and Moroccan appetizer recipes.
The pot is often circular with a large domed lid, which helps to trap all the flavors inside.
These are decorative as well as useful and you can choose various colors, styles and designs, including some lovely hand-painted examples.
Moroccan Appetizer Recipes are Easy when You Use a Tagine
Tagine cooking is very straightforward, and uses a minimal amount of water to stew the food inside. The food that you place inside the Tagine will need to be cooked for several hours, with the lid firmly closed.
You will need to season your Tagine before you use it for the first time and, once completed, it is ready to cook your food.
There are hundreds of different stews which can be cooked in the Tagine; however, they all take several hours to cook in a low preheated oven.
You will need to layer the ingredients in the Tagine, and place a small amount of liquid to create the sauce. Never attempt to speed the cooking process up by increasing the temperature of the oven.
Patience is essential when learning how to cook with a Tagine, and there are several cheaper cuts of meat which can be used with fantastic results. You should leave the lid on the Tagine until you are ready to serve, and many people serve the meal directly from the Tagine.
- ½ lb (225g) sun-ripened cherry tomatoes
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- Wash the tomatoes and cut in half.
- Place them in a large bowl.
- Add the garlic, lemon, olive oil and cilantro.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Leave for at least an hour to marinate.
- Serve with warm flat-bread, olives and barbecued meats.
The Core of Moroccan Cuisine
Morocco produces both Mediterranean and tropical fruits and vegetables. Popular meats include mutton, beef and lamb, as well as chicken, camel, seafood and rabbit, which serve as a base for Moroccan appetizer recipes.
Characteristic flavorings include dried fruits, lemon pickle and cold-pressed unrefined olive oil. Moroccan food is a lot more heavily spiced than Middle Eastern cuisine and ingredients like saffron from Tiliouine, olives and mint from Meknes, and oranges and lemons from Fez, are home grown. Yum!
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Summer Appetizer IdeasOne of the things that brings people together is the enjoyment of food. There are few things better than gathering around a table on a summer evening to snack and relax with friends. And there are easy summer appetizer ideas for all palates and occasions, so you won’t be stuck for choice. What makes appetizers so appealing when compared to full meals? Appetizers are usually bite size, making them easy to eat while socializing, and a table full of different options is far more exciting than committing to just one meal or flavor. Many summer appetizer ideas are not only easy to eat, but also easy to prepare. Cold appetizers are .....
- Tastiest Marinade for SteakWe love a good steak in this house – rib-eye, filet mignon, sirloin, rump steak – the cut doesn’t matter because each of these boasts an incredible taste. When prepared correctly, steak has a melt-in-the-mouth texture. I don’t always use marinades when preparing steak but when I do I often use this one because it enhances the natural meaty steak flavor so well and for me this is for sure the tastiest marinade for steak. How Long to Marinate Steak in the Marinade A tough steak like chuck, skirt or flank can marinate overnight but if you are cooking something more delicate then 20 or 30 minutes is plenty long enough for .....
- Carb Blockers – Everything You Need to KnowDieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work? Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low. The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the .....
- Creamy Salmon Pate Stuffed EggsHow pretty do these salmon pate stuffed eggs look? This recipe takes deviled eggs to the next level, by combining the egg yolk with salmon, lemon and creamy ingredients to make a pale pink, delicious-tasting appetizer. One or two egg halves per person is a good estimate although some people won’t be able to stop munching on these lovely little snacks. There are different ways to prepare these salmon pate stuffed eggs. You can make them the traditional way by slicing the eggs in half lengthwise or you could remove a wedge from the top (like in the picture) for a different look. How to Add the Salmon Pate Stuffed Eggs Filling The salmon .....
- Authentic Chinese Wonton SoupTraditional Chinese food recipes are fascinating and following these will allow you to prepare the meal as it has been made and enjoyed for centuries. Every element of the authentic Chinese wonton soup recipe including the ingredients, preparation and serving suggestions are authentic. The original style of preparing and cooking the Chinese recipes are incredible, and will allow you to indulge in top quality Chinese foods, keeping things traditional at every stage. Ensuring that Chinese Food Recipes are Traditional You may enjoy Chinese food, but what you purchase in the local takeout or eat at a Chinese buffet is unlikely to be .....
- Creamy Pumpkin BakeThis creamy pumpkin bake is a low carb recipe you will love. Serve it as a snack, dessert or appetizer. There are very few ingredients required so this would be perfect for any home cook, novice, advanced, or anything between these two. Our creamy pumpkin bake is something you might already have all the ingredients for, so why not get stuck in and make this? It is quick and easy to prepare and you will be so glad you made it. I love pumpkin and it’s available for most of the year here in its fresh form. It also keeps a long time. I buy canned pumpkin and that lasts for ages in the pantry, but make sure you choose the sugar-free kind. .....
- Folding WontonsSichuan wontons are known as ‘chao shou’ which means crossed hands, and they have a thickish, white wrapping. These wontons are boiled and served in a highly spicy sauce which is typical of nearly all Sichuan cuisine. The name is believed to refer to its wrapping style. The wonton wrapper is first folded into a triangular shape and then the two sides are brought to the front and they overlap. This looks a bit like someone with folded arms and it’s all in the folding wontons technique. In Shanghai the wontons are folded into triangles but the second fold features a little twist, giving it a cute shape. Cantonese wontons are .....
- How to Cook Prime Rib for Juicy ResultsPrime rib is often called the king of beef cuts, and if you like your beef juicy, tender and delicious, you might like to learn more about how to cook prime rib yourself at home. Also known as a standing rib roast, prime rib is marbled with fat to keep it succulent, and it is very easy to cook too. You just need to start it in the oven on a high temperature to brown it nicely, then turn the oven down so it can finish cooking without the meat drying out. The center of your prime rib roast should be pink or red while the thinner tail-ends will be brown and more done. This is good because people get to choose if they want their meat .....
- Beef and Potato Rissoles RecipeThese hot, tasty treats make a really delicious appetizer, so consider this beef and potato rissoles recipe if you want to make a hearty, delicious dish. The parsley, dill and thyme go really well with the beef and the currants and pine nuts add texture and flavor. Rissoles are quick and easy to make and you can serve them on a platter of lettuce leaves if you like. What are Rissoles? So what is the difference between a rissole and a hamburger patty, you might be wondering. Actually they are quite similar but a hamburger is often made with just meat and perhaps some seasonings, while rissoles often feature all kinds of added ingredients like .....
- Monterey Style Sweet Corn RecipeCorn is always good especially when you cook the fresh kind and slice it off the cob in sweet, juicy slices. I love this Monterey style sweet corn recipe as a side dish because it seems to complement just about everything from chicken or seafood to steak or game meats. Why You Should Make This Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe This dish is easy to prepare, attractively bright colored and is sure to appeal to even the youngest members of the family – those who are normally picky about vegetable-based sides! I find about a tablespoon of jalapeno enough to give the the Monterey style sweet corn a bit of a bite, but of course some people .....