Sticky Spare Ribs with Chinese Leaves and Noodles Recipe
This tasty oriental recipe will get your dinner off to a good start. Serve these sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves and noodles and everyone is sure to enjoy the exotic Eastern flavor. Don’t worry if you haven’t cooked ribs before – they just need to roast. These ribs are sticky so if you make this starter recipe, you might want to give out finger bowls or wet flannels. In fact, you really should.
How to Cook Spare Ribs
Spare ribs should be crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside. There is nothing worse than overcooked meat and ‘well done’ simply does not apply to spare ribs. When they are cooked through and the meat comes off the bone easily they are definitely done. Spare ribs are sometimes coated with BBQ sauce, honey and spices or a tomato-based sauce. Chinese style spare ribs are also great which is why this sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves recipe is a favorite here.
You can see this recipe includes Hoisin sauce which is delightfully smoky and sweet, bok choy (also known as pak choy), ginger and more, to offer a typical Chinese flavor. You could make this a main dish but since we are talking about starters, do not serve people too many. Ribs tend to be ‘more-ish’ and you don’t want people to be too full to enjoy their main course, do you? So now it’s time for our sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves recipe.
- 1.5 kg (3 lbs) lean spare ribs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 200g (7 oz) hoisin sauce
- 300g (10.5 oz) noodles
- 375g (13.25 oz) bok choi
- 5 cm (2 inch) piece ginger, diced
- 4 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Stir the spare ribs into the hoisin sauce and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Put the ribs in a roasting tin and cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn them over and cook for 20 minutes more.
- Heat the oil in a big pan and cook the ginger and garlic on a low heat.
- Cook the noodles.
- Cut the bok choi in half down its length and add to the ginger and garlic.
- Add the spring onions, drained noodles and lime juice.
- Toss well, cooking for another 5 minutes.
Enjoy these sweet and sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves and noodles. Meaty starters do not get much meatier than this, and anyone who enjoys ribs will love the Asian appeal in this dish. Marinating them is very important because during the marinating time the flavour will really soak into the meat and the finished dish will be better if you have allowed the ribs to soak in the hoisin sauce before cooking them. This is quite a filling recipe so if you prefer you can serve 8 people with it rather than 4 (at least if you are serving another course afterwards) or else forget the noodles and just serve the ribs with your choice of garnish.
Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- Lamb Crackslaw with Hoisin SauceThis recipes uses leftover lamb, but you could use any leftover meat to make it. Just chop it into small pieces and then you can add it to the recipe. The vegetables add flavor and color to the dish, and you can feel free to use your favorites. I love lamb crackslaw because it’s tasty and oh so filling. If you want to swap the carrot for broccoli, for example, go ahead. This could be served with a starch on the side, but I usually just have it as it is, because it is satisfying enough like that. In fact it is really filling. This recipe is really appealing and even if you are not following a low carb diet you will love it. Hoisin sauce .....
- Mexican Cocktail Nachos RecipeThese Mexican cocktail nachos are a great starter if you are having a Mexican main course and they also make a nice snack at a cocktail party. You can easily double the amount of ingredients in this Mexican starter recipe if you want to make more. Different Types of Nachos Nachos come in many styles. Personally I like mine with lashings of guacamole, salsa and sour cream, beef ladled on top, black olives, jalapenos, cheese and more. Well, I like ‘everything’ nachos. It is perhaps easier to explain that way. If you want a simpler recipe though, with the cheese and japalenos standing out, then choose this Mexican cocktail nachos .....
- Risotto Stuffed SquidThis Italian-inspired risotto stuffed squid recipe makes a delicious dinner and it is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Calamari is often battered and deep-fried but in this recipe it is stuffed with tasty risotto and cooked on the grill or griddle, then served in slices for a beautiful presentation. What Kind of Squid to Use for Risotto Stuffed Squid You can use whatever size squid you like. Use smallish ones (the width of your palm) and each person can eat 2 or even 3, or use larger ones and 1 per person should be sufficient. The size of the squid affects the cooking time (bigger squid take longer to become tender) but not the .....
- Anchovy and Melon Salad RecipeThis anchovy and melon salad recipe is a simple and easy dish which tastes very good. The citrus and melon flavors go perfectly with the fish while the watercress sprigs make a pretty garnish. If you are low on time, why not have a go at this easy anchovy and melon salad recipe? Aromatic Healthy Melon Melon is so nice to use in a salad because it has a unique and very refreshing flavor. This simple anchovy and melon salad recipe is one of our more interesting starter recipes and it is especially nice to serve in the summer when you are looking for something refreshing. Some More Hot Content For You IHOP Pancakes Copycat Recipe How to Make .....
- How to Sear Scallops without StickingSearing scallops is so simple, and searing them without sticking is just down to ensuring your pan is hot enough when you add them, and also down to adding enough fat. I know firsthand that learning how to sear scallops without sticking can be a frustrating learning curve. Scallops aren’t cheap and ruining a batch by cooking them wrong is a costly mistake! You will need to use oil or butter (I like to use both) to stop them sticking and you will also want to wait until the fat begins to smoke before adding those scallops. How to Sear Scallops without Sticking Pro Tip: Get the Pan Really Hot! If your pan is hot enough the scallops will .....
- Tasty Ground Chicken WontonsGround chicken is not the most common ingredient to fill wonton wrappers, but it is a versatile protein which combines well with various types of vegetables and seasonings. These little dumplings can be deep-fried, steamed or poached for a soup, and ground chicken is lean so lower in fat that some other types of meats. Try these ground chicken wontons and experience an authentic, tasty flavor. Delicious Dumplings: Chicken Makes a Change A lot of people have only tried the ground pork or ground beef option for making theirs, and ground chicken makes such a nice change, a nice change of pace. Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised by the .....
- Easy Roast Duck Leg with PotatoesThis easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe makes a wonderful dinner. The duck combines perfectly with the roasted potatoes and you should also add your favorite green vegetable, or even some kind of salad on the side. A Greek salad would go well with this or consider some stewed red cabbage or similar. You will need a couple of duck legs for this easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe, along with potatoes and thyme. The duck is fried skin side down in a roasting pan, then you can flip it over and add the potatoes. Add thyme, salt and black pepper, and then you can roast the duck and potatoes for about an hour and a half or up to two .....
- What is the History of WineIt is hard to think of a party or festive gathering without wine being part of the proceedings, so you might be curious about the history of wine. It is even known as the ‘elixir of happiness’ which is why people sometimes think it was born right when man was, but of course it wasn’t. So who came up with the idea of fermenting fruit in the first place? It might interest you to know the history of wine goes back to ancient Egypt, and that was 2500 BC. Wine might even have been used before that. According to the evidence found, wine goes back to the ancient civilizations in Egypt. It is probable that early man discovered what fermentation did .....
- Authentic Nasi Goreng RecipeNasi goreng means ‘fried rice’ in Indonesian as well as Malay, and it can be fried rice, a meal with stir-fried rice, or a salted dried fish mixture with rice. The main ingredient in an authentic nasi goreng recipe is always the rice, so if you are looking for something to make with leftover rice, keep reading and discover this wonderful Indonesian dish. Authentic Nasi Goreng Recipe Ingredients Known as the national dish of Indonesia, the best nasi goreng recipe is whichever mixture you like, perhaps rice with kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), egg, chicken, shrimp, garlic, and shallot, or perhaps you favor mushrooms and peas, or .....
- Traditional Recipe for Cornish PastiesOne of the most famous dishes to come from Cornwall, England (well apart from tea and scones of course) is the Cornish pasty. This delicious snack can be enjoyed hot, warm or chilled, and the beef and vegetable filling complements the flaky pastry perfectly. Knowing the traditional recipe for Cornish pasties means you can prepare this delicacy for your family at home. Traditional Recipe for Cornish Pasties Dough We are making the pastry for our Cornish pasty (pronounced PAH-stee) recipe as well as preparing the filling. For the pastry you will need flour, butter, egg yolks, salt and baking powder. It helps to have a food processor to prepare .....