Sticky Spare Ribs with Chinese Leaves and Noodles Recipe
This tasty oriental recipe will get your dinner off to a good start. Serve these sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves and noodles and everyone is sure to enjoy the exotic Eastern flavor. Don’t worry if you haven’t cooked ribs before – they just need to roast. These ribs are sticky so if you make this starter recipe, you might want to give out finger bowls or wet flannels. In fact, you really should.
How to Cook Spare Ribs
Spare ribs should be crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside. There is nothing worse than overcooked meat and ‘well done’ simply does not apply to spare ribs. When they are cooked through and the meat comes off the bone easily they are definitely done. Spare ribs are sometimes coated with BBQ sauce, honey and spices or a tomato-based sauce. Chinese style spare ribs are also great which is why this sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves recipe is a favorite here.
You can see this recipe includes Hoisin sauce which is delightfully smoky and sweet, bok choy (also known as pak choy), ginger and more, to offer a typical Chinese flavor. You could make this a main dish but since we are talking about starters, do not serve people too many. Ribs tend to be ‘more-ish’ and you don’t want people to be too full to enjoy their main course, do you? So now it’s time for our sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves recipe.
- 1.5 kg (3 lbs) lean spare ribs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 200g (7 oz) hoisin sauce
- 300g (10.5 oz) noodles
- 375g (13.25 oz) bok choi
- 5 cm (2 inch) piece ginger, diced
- 4 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Stir the spare ribs into the hoisin sauce and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Put the ribs in a roasting tin and cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn them over and cook for 20 minutes more.
- Heat the oil in a big pan and cook the ginger and garlic on a low heat.
- Cook the noodles.
- Cut the bok choi in half down its length and add to the ginger and garlic.
- Add the spring onions, drained noodles and lime juice.
- Toss well, cooking for another 5 minutes.
Enjoy these sweet and sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves and noodles. Meaty starters do not get much meatier than this, and anyone who enjoys ribs will love the Asian appeal in this dish. Marinating them is very important because during the marinating time the flavour will really soak into the meat and the finished dish will be better if you have allowed the ribs to soak in the hoisin sauce before cooking them. This is quite a filling recipe so if you prefer you can serve 8 people with it rather than 4 (at least if you are serving another course afterwards) or else forget the noodles and just serve the ribs with your choice of garnish.
Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....
- Baked Alaska Recipe with Caramel SauceThis baked Alaska recipe with caramel sauce is one of my favorite desserts, teaming delicious, refreshing ice cream with perfect meringue. Here we are serving the baked Alaska with caramel sauce to make the dessert even more decadent. This dessert is served cold, and the meringue completely covers the ice cream inside, making it look like a big iceberg, hence the name. Although you can make individual baked Alaska desserts, we like to make one big ones, using a small ready-made chocolate sponge cake, topping that with 2 kinds of ice cream, and then adding the sweet, sticky meringue mixture. I bet you can’t wait to try this baked Alaska .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Easy Bobotie Recipe | South African Meat DishThis easy bobotie recipe can be made with your choice of ground beef or lamb. A combination would also work. The dish is popular in South Africa. It is comparable to meatloaf or lasagna, but it is spiced and the topping is a savory egg-based custard. I’ve made it several times and always love how the gently spiced meat layer contrasts with the rich and creamy topping. Served with yellow rice and/or a fresh green salad, this dish is something that never gets old. I like to make extra because it heats up well the following day for lunch. If you’ve made meatloaf, lasagna or a similar ground meat dish, you will recognize several .....
- How to Make a Cassoulet the French WayA cassoulet is a slow-cooked casserole with meat (usually pork sausage, duck, mutton or goose) as well as white haricot beans and pork skin. This dish originated in the South of France, and is named after the casserole dish it is made in. Discover how to make a cassoulet the French way and you will be able to rustle up this wonderful meaty treat any time comfort food is the order of the day. There are lots of regional variations on cassoulet, although all of them feature white beans. Crackling (crispy fried pork rind) and fried bread cubes are often scattered on top before serving. Is your mouth watering yet? If not, keep reading and it will .....
- Creamy Scallop Baked PastaThis creamy scallop baked pasta is one of my favorite dishes. It is simple to make and its creaminess makes it wonderful comfort food. I love scallops. In fact, I love all kinds of seafood! This is also a dish my husband enjoys whenever I made it. The fact that this contains scallops makes it a gourmet baked pasta dish. Every time I make creamy scallop baked pasta, I make it slightly differently, so I offer different options in the recipe so you can tailor it to your own palate. I like to add spinach or bell pepper, both for color and for nutrients and added flavor. I use frozen scallops because I don’t have much option where I live. I .....
- The Benefits of Cooking Authentic Chinese RecipesAuthentic Chinese recipes are incredibly popular and have several different benefits, which is why more people than ever before are searching for the best recipe ideas. You might enjoy Chinese food but it’s fair to say that authentic Chinese recipes will taste very different. Once you have discovered several different recipes to try at home, you can begin to enjoy these benefits and appreciate real Chinese food for what it really is. Why Choose Authentic Chinese Recipes? Chinese food is considered to be incredibly healthy and very fast to make, ensuring that it is the perfect snack food......
- Cheese Baked OmeletThere are lots of egg recipes to choose from if you want to enjoy eggs for breakfast, and this delicious, filling ingredient can be prepared in various ways. This cheese baked omelet is just one of your options. Boiled, scrambled or fried eggs are always good, or you can make an omelet, either conventionally on the stove, or, if your stove is crowded with other breakfast delights such as bacon, sausage and mushrooms being fried, you can make an omelet in the oven. Keep things easy using just eggs, milk or cream and a little onion to give the omelet some crunch. You can also add extra vegetables like bell pepper, mushrooms or even some .....
- Seafood Soup RecipeThis seafood soup recipe is made from scratch, so you will get all that amazing seafood flavour you love so much. Whether you are using lobster, crab, prawns or a mixture, the flavor is amazing. The better the seafood broth you use in this seafood soup recipe, the better it is going to taste. Whenever you are basing a whole recipe on a broth you need to make sure you use something of quality. It is so important. Great Ingredients Blend Together There are quite a few different ingredients in this seafood soup recipe but use them all and you will be so glad you did. The most important ingredients are the seafood and whatever you use to make .....
- Easy Spaghetti CarbonaraThis is a classic Italian dish made with spaghetti, bacon and eggs. There are different variations – some people add cream or cream cheese, some will add parsley or another herb, and others will use whole wheat spaghetti over white spaghetti. However you prefer it, an easy spaghetti carbonara recipe is well worth adding to your culinary repertoire. The following recipe is really simple, even if you are a newbie in the kitchen, and the flavor is amazing. This is good served with mixed salad leaves dressed with vinaigrette. Learning how to make spaghetti carbonara is a great idea if you want to serve something impressive but only have 2 .....