Brilliant Bruschetta Recipe
A bruschetta recipe is one of the best Italian appetizers. It is made by rubbing garlic over grilled bread, then adding olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
Some types of bruschetta recipe might also include cured meat, cheese, tomatoes, beans, or vegetables. The best-known bruschetta recipe outside Italy features fresh tomato, garlic and onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella.
So Many Bruschetta Recipe Options
A great bruschetta recipe is found on Italian restaurant menus all over the world, and there are hundreds of different ways to make it, which is why restaurant bruschetta ranges from bland to wonderful, depending who is making it. Make your own, following our recipe, and you can be guaranteed of an amazing result.
Usually served as an appetizer or snack, bruschetta is hearty without being too filling. If you are thinking about serving bread and dips or garlic bread, consider bruschetta instead, to add an authentic touch of Italy to your dinner. It is usually pronounced broo-SHET-tah outside of Italy but broo-SKET-tah in Italy.
History of the Bruschetta Recipe
The word bruschetta comes from ‘bruscare’ which is a Roman dialect verb meaning to roast something over coals. It is believed bruschetta originated in ancient Rome. Olive growers would toast bread slices to sample the olive oil they got from pressing their olives through the local olive press.
The word bruschetta occasionally refers to the topping and not the actual bread dish (you can get toppings in jars in the US, for example) but in the interest of keeping things authentic, always, always, always use fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh herbs, and other fresh ingredients, and also use the best quality extra-virgin olive oil (and cheese if using) for the most aromatic, delicate and authentic result.
Our Bruschetta Recipe
The following recipe may be tweaked however you like. The only things you have to do are grill or toast the bread, and rub the garlic over it, then drizzle extra-virgin olive oil on top. We like to add mozzarella, onion and tomatoes, as well as fresh herbs for garnish (usually basil but thyme is also nice). A little salt and pepper goes well.
If you like, you can mince the garlic you use to rub over the hot toasted bread, then add it on top of the bruschetta, but discard it if you want the garlic flavor more subtle. Feel free to swap the cherry tomatoes for chopped fresh regular ones, omit the mozzarella, or make any other changes you want.
- 8 thick slices day-old bread (preferably wood-fired)
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 peeled, halved garlic clove
- 2½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ chopped white onion
- 8 thin slices mozzarella (optional)
- Fresh herbs (basil or thyme perhaps)
- Gently pan-fry the onion and cherry tomatoes in ½ teaspoon of oil.
- You can give them a couple minutes just to warm them up, or cook for longer to soften them.
- The choice is all yours.
- Grill or toast the bread until golden.
- While the toasted bread slices are still hot, rub 1 side of each slice with cut garlic.
- Mince the garlic afterwards.
- Drizzle each toast slice with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add the mozzarella (if using).
- Sprinkle on the garlic, and some salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes on top then garnish the bruschetta with fresh herbs and serve it warm.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Lebanese Cucumber Soup RecipeThis Lebanese cucumber soup recipe is a chilled soup. These soups are popular in the Middle East and you will find chilled soups very refreshing if you’re not used to them. Adding fresh mint helps with the cooling effect. Live, natural yogurt is a great ingredient because it’s very good for the digestion. Have you tried chilled soup before? The first chilled soup I ever tried was gazpacho, that tomato and vegetable soup from Spain which is always tasty and refreshing. I have also tried chilled watermelon soup and a strawberry soup too one time in a restaurant. This Lebanese cucumber soup recipe is different though because it is .....
- Best Buffalo Chicken RecipeBeing an English girl, I wasn’t quite sure what buffalo chicken was when I first heard the term. Of course I knew what a buffalo was and what a chicken was but didn’t see how you could combine them. All became clear when I tasted this delicacy Stateside and fell in love with it! Keep reading for the best buffalo chicken recipe I have found. So much so in fact that I have added it to our regular meal rotation because I adore the combination of crispy, spicy chicken, fresh vegetable sticks, creamy dressing and of course don’t forget the blue cheese! This best buffalo chicken recipe, like most of mine, is really easy to make. .....
- Superb Summer Dessert IdeasSummer is a great time for refreshing and fruit-based desserts and other tempting, light summer dessert ideas. If you want to linger a bit longer at the dinner table and savor something sweet while you do it there are plenty of choices. Most of the time you will want to serve something to either cool people down or showcase the wonderful summer fruits available during the warm months of the year. A favorite summer dessert is ice cream. To make this common dish a little more special you can make it yourself. If you have an ice cream maker and a little bit of time you can create a special recipe for whatever you’re craving that day, thinking .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings. Some More Hot Content For You Bling Bling iPad .....
- Vegan Parsnip Crisps RecipeThis vegan parsnip crisps recipe is really well worth making. The crisps (chips) are made from parsnips. You can serve them as they are or with any dip you like, such as an onion dip, hummus or a salsa. These are one of our easiest vegan recipes. Vegan Parsnip Crisps: Crispy Crunchy Appeal Crisps are normally made from potatoes of course, and then you have ones made with sweet potatoes, but these are very similar, albeit offering a slightly more unusual flavor. Parsnips are tasty and versatile. They can be roasted or used to make a mash, or they might go in a soup or stew. Parsnips are lovely roasted and served alongside a roast, even a nut .....
- Herring, Potato and Dill Salad RecipeFish and potatoes have been served together for centuries and dill complements both of them. Sour cream, mayonnaise and gherkins finish off this delicious fish starter recipe perfectly. This herring, potato and dill salad recipe is easy to make and suits any occasion. Simple But a Nice Balance There are not many ingredients in this tasty herring recipe and that is because they would be unnecessary. This is a perfectly balanced dish and one of our more interesting starter recipes. Herrings are delicious and if you want ideas for fish starters, this is well worth considering. Some More Hot Content For You Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with Feta Easy .....
- Crockpot Coffee Braised Beef RoastCoffee might sound like a strange ingredient to combine with beef, but it does lend this crockpot coffee braised beef dish a very rich and tasty flavor which complements the meaty beef taste. This recipe can be made in the crockpot and you don’t need many ingredients for it. To make this crockpot coffee braised beef you will need a boneless beef chuck roast weighing about 3 pounds, or slightly over, along with coffee and garlic. Throw in some water, cornstarch, salt and pepper, and those are the only ingredients you need. Just add your crockpot coffee braised beef ingredients to the crockpot then you can use the cooking liquid to make .....
- Chicken Livers Middle Eastern StyleChicken is one of the most popular meats worldwide, although many of us will gladly buy the breast or drumsticks but be hesitant about the livers – enter chicken livers Middle Eastern style. Once you know this recipe you will want to make it over and over! Once you try chicken livers though, you are sure to change your mind, because the flavor and texture are both very enjoyable, and these livers are really versatile too – a Middle Eastern flavor works very nicely, but there are plenty of other cuisines using these livers, each adding their own flavors and using their own take on flavors to complement the distinctive liver taste. .....
- Renovate Your Bathroom Like a ProBathrooms are an area that can be entirely different to every other style that you have applied throughout your home. Learn how to renovate your bathroom like a pro and you can come up with something unique and perfect for the small (or not so small) space you have in there. There is a huge amount of different decorating ideas, which will suit your taste, style and budget. Regardless of how much money you have to spend on the decorating, you will find that there are some fantastic ideas. Take your time when deciding what kind of style you want to go for and figuring out how to renovate your bathroom, because just because somethings looks .....
- Hoisin Celery Wontons in Wonton SoupThis exciting Hoisin celery wontons recipe features a flavorful broth containing homemade pork, hoisin and Chinese celery wontons. It couldn’t be simpler to make and this makes a warming meal for the whole family. You can even make extra wontons and freeze them for next time. This Hoisin celery wontons soup recipe calls for soy sauce paste. Soy sauce paste is similar to soy sauce but thicker. If you can’t get it, just use the regular kind. Be careful not to add too much sesame oil; a little really does go a long way. You can find Chinese celery in any Asian grocery store and it is sweeter than regular celery. If you can’t get it then try .....