Camembert Baked in its Box Recipe
I love Camembert baked in its box! It’s one snack I never get tired of. Cheese makes a great starter as well as an after-dinner dessert course. This Camembert appetizer recipe is similar to a cheese fondue and you can dip anything in it, including the bread, pickled vegetables and peppers mentioned here. Raw mushrooms are good for dipping, as are raw carrots and other crudites.
Camembert Baked in its Box: Simple to Make
You can buy Camembert in a box and simply put it in the oven, which is ideal for anyone who wants a simple fuss-free starter recipe which is going to work with both the vegetarians and carnivores around the table, offering the perfect feast for every palate.
Camembert is often served at room temperature with crackers and black grapes perhaps, as a French snack, but it melts so beautifully that everyone should try this recipe at least once.
Unlike deep-fried brie, this cheese is not wrapped in breadcrumbs and fried in oil. Instead it is baked it in the oven for melty deliciousness. If you enjoy dishes like fondue then you might like to give this recipe a whirl and find out how to make this alternative cheese dish. It is nice for any season or occasion but especially good when the wind is howling, the rain is falling, and the fire is burning in the hearth because it is such comfort food! Try this Camembert baked in its box recipe today!
- 1 Camembert
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Silverskin onions
- Small gherkins (pickles)
- Bread cubes or breadsticks
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Take the cheese out of its box.
- Staple the seam if the box is glued, so it doesn't fall apart when cooking.
- Line the inside of the box with foil then put the cheese back in.
- Cut the garlic lengthwise into eighths so you get spike shapes.
- Make 8 holes in the top of the cheese with a knife and poke a garlic spike into each hole.
- Drizzle the wine over the top and scatter the fresh thyme over it.
- Bake the cheese on a baking tray for 15 minutes.
- Put it in the middle of a big plate and arrange gherkins, bread and whatever else you want around the outside for the guests to dip into the runny cheese.
Camembert is a versatile cheese. Serve it just as it is or with bread or crackers, use it to make a sandwich, bread it and deep-fry it then serve it with redcurrant conserves, or bake it in the box it came in for a hot, gooey treat. Serve the baked Camembert with green apple slices, celery stalks, crackers or anything else you wish to dip in there. Camembert baked in its box is an incredibly easy starter recipe which could also double as an unusual cheese dessert course. Choose one or the other, of course, unless your dinner guests are that crazy about cheese!
Image courtesy of Whatley Dude, on Flickr.com