Camembert Baked in its Box Recipe
I love Camembert baked in its box! It’s one snack I never get tired of. Cheese makes a great starter as well as an after-dinner dessert course. This Camembert appetizer recipe is similar to a cheese fondue and you can dip anything in it, including the bread, pickled vegetables and peppers mentioned here. Raw mushrooms are good for dipping, as are raw carrots and other crudites.
Camembert Baked in its Box: Simple to Make
You can buy Camembert in a box and simply put it in the oven, which is ideal for anyone who wants a simple fuss-free starter recipe which is going to work with both the vegetarians and carnivores around the table, offering the perfect feast for every palate.
Camembert is often served at room temperature with crackers and black grapes perhaps, as a French snack, but it melts so beautifully that everyone should try this recipe at least once.
Unlike deep-fried brie, this cheese is not wrapped in breadcrumbs and fried in oil. Instead it is baked it in the oven for melty deliciousness. If you enjoy dishes like fondue then you might like to give this recipe a whirl and find out how to make this alternative cheese dish. It is nice for any season or occasion but especially good when the wind is howling, the rain is falling, and the fire is burning in the hearth because it is such comfort food! Try this Camembert baked in its box recipe today!
- 1 Camembert
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Silverskin onions
- Small gherkins (pickles)
- Bread cubes or breadsticks
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Take the cheese out of its box.
- Staple the seam if the box is glued, so it doesn't fall apart when cooking.
- Line the inside of the box with foil then put the cheese back in.
- Cut the garlic lengthwise into eighths so you get spike shapes.
- Make 8 holes in the top of the cheese with a knife and poke a garlic spike into each hole.
- Drizzle the wine over the top and scatter the fresh thyme over it.
- Bake the cheese on a baking tray for 15 minutes.
- Put it in the middle of a big plate and arrange gherkins, bread and whatever else you want around the outside for the guests to dip into the runny cheese.
Camembert is a versatile cheese. Serve it just as it is or with bread or crackers, use it to make a sandwich, bread it and deep-fry it then serve it with redcurrant conserves, or bake it in the box it came in for a hot, gooey treat. Serve the baked Camembert with green apple slices, celery stalks, crackers or anything else you wish to dip in there. Camembert baked in its box is an incredibly easy starter recipe which could also double as an unusual cheese dessert course. Choose one or the other, of course, unless your dinner guests are that crazy about cheese!
Image courtesy of Whatley Dude, on Flickr.com
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Chunky Vegetable Stew with Potato RostiNothing beats a stew on a chilly day, and even if you do not eat meat or chicken, you can still make the most wonderful flavored chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti. This dish is made with vegetables instead of meat so it is also nutritious. The onion and garlic are fried first, just to turn them golden brown and bring out their wonderful aromas, then all the other ingredients go into the pot and the stew really starts to take shape. The seasonings for the chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti are cumin and orange juice, and then of course you have the garlic taste. This might not sound like much but don’t forget how great the .....
- Exact Copycat IHOP Pancakes RecipeIf you love the flavor and texture of IHOP pancakes you are not alone. These delicious, fluffy treats make a wonderful breakfast, teamed with maple syrup or another type of syrup if you are kind of hungry, or eggs, bacon and the whole enchilada if you have a raging appetite! I wanted to make copycat IHOP pancakes so I could prepare them at home. Perhaps you are in the mood for this authentic IHOP pancakes recipe but you don’t really want to get in the car and drive, in which case try the following recipe because the texture and flavor will be just like the IHOP pancakes you know and love. Copycat IHOP Pancakes – Beautiful Lazy .....
- 1940s Kitchen StyleRetro kitchens are becoming more popular at the moment and it is a lot of fun to redecorate in the style of a certain era. 1940s style kitchens are particularly fun to create. Glass knobs, painted kitchen cabinets and vintage linens can be combined with modern appliances, for a functional and nice looking themed kitchen. You will not have to spend much money to get a 40s themed kitchen full of gorgeous 1940s kitchen style. Here are some good ideas to start you off – Lighting For an authentic 1940s style kitchen, try to keep the lighting simple. You can get wall sconces or vintage ceiling lights for an authentic look. You should add in .....
- Make Popcorn without OilPopcorn is a delicious snack but how do you make it without using oil? Actually there are various ways to make popcorn without oil, so forget the fattening microwave kind which is laden with salt and grease, and grab some plain unpopped kernels instead. They are surprisingly cheap, which is another bonus. An ounce of those contains just 1 gram of fat. You can pop these kernels yourself without needing any fat. What You Will Need to Make Popcorn without Oil Grab yourself 1/3 cup of plain kernels, a medium to large pot with a tight-fitting lid, some oven mitts or an oven glove, and some salt or another flavor to add to your finished dish. You .....
- Classic Deviled Eggs RecipeDeviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs. The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe. Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or .....
- How to Give Your Wontons an International FlairJust because wontons are Chinese in origin does not mean you have to stick with the tried and tested Chinese wonton recipes. International wontons are an exercise in experimentation and sometimes this fusion really works! Of course, traditional wonton soup is delicious and Chinese-style fried wontons offer a flavor experience that most people enjoy very much, but you might like to experiment with a different take on the classic wonton recipe. Since wonton skins are made with egg, flour and water, they do not have a lot of flavor. This means you can use any kind of filling and rest assured it will complement the wonton skin flavor. For .....
- What is Crème BrûléeLearning to how many crème brûlée is easy, and this creamy, sweet dessert is very tasty after any kind of main dish. Crème brûlée, sometimes mis-spelt as crème brule, is also known as crema catalana, Trinity cream and burnt cream. But what is creme brulee exactly? The rich custard base is topped with a hard caramel layer, and it is usually served at room temperature although it can also be served chilled if you want to make it ahead. More about Crème Brûlée Vanilla is the typical flavor for crème brûlée but there are other possibilities, including coconut, chocolate or coffee. This dessert dates back to at least the late 1600s. This dessert .....
- Cilantro Shrimp Wonton SoupSome people make wonton soup by dropping their filled wontons into their prepared stock and letting them simmer in there but others prefer to cook the wontons in water and then add them to the soup, so as not to make the soup cloudy. Since you are the cook and the one who is going to be eating the dish, it is totally up to you. You can prepare your cilantro shrimp wonton soup however you prefer. The first few times I made cilantro shrimp wonton soup I put the wontons directly in the soup mixture and let them cook in there, but then I experimented with cooking them in water and then lifting them into warmed serving bowls using a slotted spoon .....
- Starter Recipes for All SeasonsThere is no rule that you have to serve cold starters in the spring or summer and nor is there a rule to say you have to serve thick, warming ones in the winter months. However, it can be nice to match them to the seasons as well as to your guests and the main course. You will find there are starter recipes for all seasons if you want to use seasonal produce to make the most delicious appetizers. For example, if the weather is warm your guests might fancy something light and refreshing and that goes for the drinks as well as the food. If the weather is cold, a hearty soup recipe or something hot, crispy and spicy might be well appreciated. .....