Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe
Deviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs.
The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe.
Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs
Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or even finely minced fresh chilies. Remember to remove the seeds before finely chopping them, unless you want the filling to be seriously hot.
If you do not want to add any heat at all then that is fine. Just the mustard and onion will give the filling a nice flavor, and a bit of salt and pepper will round it out nicely. You might even like to add a tiny bit of tomato paste to darken the yolk mixture a bit, if it looks too pale.
Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe: Make Ahead if You Wish
You can make deviled eggs in advance and then just keep them under plastic wrap in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them. These are lovely for special occasions like New Year’s Eve or a social gathering of any kind. Because the filling has mayo in it, it is best not to leave these in the heat or in the sun for more than a few minutes, but they are safe enough in a cool room if you serve the dishes buffet-style.
- 12 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 ½ oz (1/3 cup) mayonnaise
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Few drops of hot sauce (optional)
- Hard cook the eggs by boiling them in water for 12 minutes.
- Drain the hot water from the pan and run cold water over the eggs.
- Let them sit in the cool water a few minutes.
- Peel the eggs and slice each one in half using a sharp knife.
- Transfer the yolks to a small bowl.
- Arrange the whites on a serving plate.
- Mash the yolks with a fork, then mash in all the other ingredients.
- Pipe or spoon this mixture into the egg white halves.
- Enjoy this classic deviled eggs recipe chilled or at room temperature.
Deviled eggs make a wonderful starter recipe and they are incredibly easy to make. In the photo you can see the filling has been piped in, then you can see some of the egg yolk has been set to one side and crumbled, then sprinkled over the top. A sprig of parsley or cilantro finishes off the classic deviled eggs recipe in style, adding color and an elegant touch. If you do not have a piping bag, snip the corner off a small plastic bag, else you can just use a pair of teaspoons to transfer the yolk mixture into the whites. The presentation will not be as tidy but the flavor will be identical.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Hoisin Celery Wontons in Wonton SoupThis exciting Hoisin celery wontons recipe features a flavorful broth containing homemade pork, hoisin and Chinese celery wontons. It couldn’t be simpler to make and this makes a warming meal for the whole family. You can even make extra wontons and freeze them for next time. This Hoisin celery wontons soup recipe calls for soy sauce paste. Soy sauce paste is similar to soy sauce but thicker. If you can’t get it, just use the regular kind. Be careful not to add too much sesame oil; a little really does go a long way. You can find Chinese celery in any Asian grocery store and it is sweeter than regular celery. If you can’t get it then try .....
- Baked Wonton Chips with Sesame SeedsYou can use black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds or gosiamo to make these baked wonton chips with sesame seeds. Gomasio is a mixture of sesame seeds, seaweed and salt. Have you seen these in your local store? If not, ask. The worst that will happen is the store doesn’t carry them in which case head to an Asian or international food store or else simply buy some white seeds and some black ones and make your own mix. These baked wonton chips with sesame seeds are so simple to make and you probably already have the required ingredients for them, since all you need are wonton skins, sesame seeds, oil and pepper. These wontons are baked .....
- Tasty Taco Salad in Tortilla BowlsAs much as I love salad (and I really do!) I do find myself getting bored with the same old salad recipes over and over, which is why finding a new recipe or learning a new salad tip or trick is always so great. Take this taco salad for example. Not only can you expect the flavorful flavors of Mexico, but you also get a crunchy taco bowl to serve the salad in. I love to present my taco salad in tortilla bowls because it looks so impressive but is actually easy! Tortilla bowls are very easy to make and you can do them in the oven. Use cooking spray and you add only a few calories to the tortillas themselves. You can serve any kind of salad in .....
- Authentic Pasta con le Sarde RecipePasta con le sarde is a typical Sicilian dish. The name translates to mean ‘pasta with sardines’ and the sardines along with fennel are the main 2 ingredients in there, those which give it the characteristic taste. Saffron, currants or raisins, pine nuts, and toasted almonds or capers also enrich the dish, offering a unique and special flavor in the finished meal. There are different pasta con le sarde recipes, some of which include tomato pulp and others which do not. Some are finished off in the oven for a few minutes so the pasta can finish cooking in there. When to Make a Pasta con le Sarde Recipe Make this pasta con le sarde .....
- Pork Crack Slaw with Ginger and SesameThis pork crack slaw recipe is really good if you want to make use pork in a low carb dish. Featuring ginger, garlic and green onions, this pork crack slaw recipe has a strong Asian theme which you will love. The original crackslaw recipe is Asian and, while you can theme your crackslaw on Greek, Italian or another cuisine, the Chinese recipes always taste best, at least in my opinion. Ground pork is a budget choice and while it is often used to make meatballs or burgers it is also great in this recipe because it suits the Asian flavors and soaks up all the different tastes. It just works well! Pork Crack Slaw: Maybe Try a Ground Beef/Pork .....
- Thai Fried Rice with EggThis is a wonderful side dish to have with chicken, pork or another kind of meat, or you could enjoy it by itself for lunch or a light evening meal. Thai fried rice with egg is similar to the Chinese egg fried rice you might be more familiar with. We are just including typical Thai flavors instead of Chinese ones. This only takes about 5 minutes to make because you are warming up the rice, cooking the vegetables to al dente (which doesn’t take long) and cooking shrimp (which doesn’t take long either!) If you prefer to use chicken or another protein, shredded cooked chicken can be tossed in at the end with the green onions, and .....
- Ideas for StartersYou might already have some thoughts in your mind of which recipe you want to make, and some clever ideas for starters for your next meal or dinner party. Perhaps you fancy making a hot chicken or beef dish. What about chicken sate, mini beef rissoles or something spicy? Maybe you were thinking about making vol-au-vents or a fruity salad, in which case they are good, wholesome and classic dishes too. But what about if you are totally stuck for inspiration and starter ideas? The best way to decide which ideas for starters to go with is to ask yourself a few questions. If you don’t already have ideas for starters, think about your .....
- Japanese Beef Teriyaki RecipeThis Japanese beef teriyaki recipe is so delicious. It looks good, smells wonderful and tastes even better. Beef teriyaki is a very popular Japanese dish and can be served as a starter or as part of a main course. Serve this before your chicken or fish main course perhaps, and you can even continue the Asian theme by having a Chinese main dish. What is Teriyaki Sauce? The teriyaki sauce for this Japanese beef teriyaki recipe can be bought or made fresh, and it is a sweet, thick, dark sauce. Chicken is nice with teriyaki and beef is also good.If you like sweet, sticky sauces you will certainly like this one. It offers a typical flavor and .....
- Healthy Easy Shrimp Salad RecipeShrimp is a great addition to salad recipes. It offers a subtle, light flavor and goes well with many other salad ingredients. A base of salad leaves or spinach can be topped with hot, warm or chilled cooked shrimp along with other things like pineapple chunks or mandarin segments for sweetness, walnuts or cashews for crunch, cherry tomatoes for color and anything else you want to add to your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe. You can cook shrimp in various ways, such as deep-frying, stir-frying, boiling, baking or grilling. If you want to pan-fry the shrimp, they will only take a couple of minutes, as will boiling or grilling, although if .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....