Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe
Deviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs.
The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe.
Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs
Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or even finely minced fresh chilies. Remember to remove the seeds before finely chopping them, unless you want the filling to be seriously hot.
If you do not want to add any heat at all then that is fine. Just the mustard and onion will give the filling a nice flavor, and a bit of salt and pepper will round it out nicely. You might even like to add a tiny bit of tomato paste to darken the yolk mixture a bit, if it looks too pale.
Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe: Make Ahead if You Wish
You can make deviled eggs in advance and then just keep them under plastic wrap in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them. These are lovely for special occasions like New Year’s Eve or a social gathering of any kind. Because the filling has mayo in it, it is best not to leave these in the heat or in the sun for more than a few minutes, but they are safe enough in a cool room if you serve the dishes buffet-style.
- 12 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 ½ oz (1/3 cup) mayonnaise
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Few drops of hot sauce (optional)
- Hard cook the eggs by boiling them in water for 12 minutes.
- Drain the hot water from the pan and run cold water over the eggs.
- Let them sit in the cool water a few minutes.
- Peel the eggs and slice each one in half using a sharp knife.
- Transfer the yolks to a small bowl.
- Arrange the whites on a serving plate.
- Mash the yolks with a fork, then mash in all the other ingredients.
- Pipe or spoon this mixture into the egg white halves.
- Enjoy this classic deviled eggs recipe chilled or at room temperature.
Deviled eggs make a wonderful starter recipe and they are incredibly easy to make. In the photo you can see the filling has been piped in, then you can see some of the egg yolk has been set to one side and crumbled, then sprinkled over the top. A sprig of parsley or cilantro finishes off the classic deviled eggs recipe in style, adding color and an elegant touch. If you do not have a piping bag, snip the corner off a small plastic bag, else you can just use a pair of teaspoons to transfer the yolk mixture into the whites. The presentation will not be as tidy but the flavor will be identical.