Dairy Free Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Chives Recipe
Not being able to eat dairy does not limit your starter options. Just look at this dairy free grilled asparagus recipe. This delicious grilled asparagus is served in a lemon and chive dressing. It is a light starter which goes well with almost any main course.
Dairy Free Grilled Asparagus: Freshness Counts with Asparagus
Asparagus is seasonal but you will find it all year round because it is imported. If you can get fresh, local asparagus during the spring though, it is highly recommended. Obviously anything grown nearby is going to taste superior to something grown halfway around the world and shipped in. So get fresh asparagus wherever possible, and check the bottom of the stalk is bright green and not white or moldy.
This is a simple dairy free grilled asparagus dish and that is because the asparagus packs so much lovely flavor of its own you just do not need a lot of other ingredients to eat with it. This recipe would be good as a romantic starter recipe. Even if what they say about asparagus being an aphrodisiac isn’t true, it is still a nice dish to serve to your beloved.
- 24 asparagus spears, hard stalks cut off
- Olive oil
- Bowl of ice water
- 3 or 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- Bring a pan of salt water to the boil.
- Add the asparagus and blanch.
- Remove the asparagus and place in the ice water then drain.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot.
- Drizzle olive oil over the asparagus and put it on the griddle.
- Cook, turning now and then, until nicely marked and browned all over.
- Mix the lemon juice with the olive oil, shallot and chives.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Place 6 asparagus spears on each of 4 plates.
- Dress with the lemon and chive vinaigrette.
So you’re considering this dairy free grilled asparagus. Well asparagus is no ordinary vegetable. It has a unique, easily distinguishable flavor, and is a favorite of many people. Asparagus is versatile and can be used to make soups, it goes well in risotto and stews, and you can choose from barbecuing it, grilling it, frying it, roasting it or boiling it. Steaming is another option. A creamy sauce goes well with this vegetable but so does a nice vinaigrette which is why we are using one in this recipe, for that wonderful refreshing finish.
Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net