Gluten Free Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese Recipe
This grilled lettuce with goat cheese is a delicious starter recipe and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. This might be a simple recipe but it tastes really good. You might not have cooked lettuce before but it is perfect in this delicious gluten free recipe.
Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese: Uh, Cooked Lettuce – Really?
Yes, you really can cook lettuce and not end up with a watery mess in the pan. That does not apply to all lettuce though and you will need to choose something which holds its shape quite well like Little Gem or Romaine.
The lettuce just needs to be heated up and crisped on the surface touching the pan. Try cooking it too long and you will end up with a watery mess. So you might be wondering just how hard this grilled lettuce with goat cheese recipe is. Actually it’s easy! Just ensure you crisp the edges and don’t overcook!
The lettuce in the following recipe is cooked with goat cheese and lemon, which is a very simple, rustic recipe, offering plenty of flavor to dance on your tongue.
This is a gluten-free starter recipe, and of course suitable for everyone, gluten-free diet or not. Enjoy the way the tangy goat cheese goes with the fresh-tasting lettuce and consider having this for lunch or as an appetizer, whichever you prefer. Make this grilled lettuce with goat cheese and enjoy the fresh, tangy taste.
- 6 Little Gem (baby romaine) lettuces
- 250g (1/2 lb) goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ lemon
- Salt and black pepper
- Cut the baby lettuces in half, leaving the stem base intact so the leaves stay on.
- Brush the lettuces with the oil and season well.
- Place them cut side down on a preheated BBQ rack or a cast iron griddle pan with raised ridges.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the outer leaves are well charred, grill-striped and the stems are becoming tender.
- Arrange the 12 lettuce halves in a dish and lay over thin cheese slices. Add more pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake in a hot oven or grill until the cheese begins to bubble.
- Serve right away with each person getting 2 lettuce halves.
Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese is So Good
Cooking lettuce on the barbecue is really easy and if you are wondering whether you read that right, you did. Really, can you cook lettuce? Absolutely! It might sound strange and the first time I tried this dish I didn’t know if it was going to work but actually it was really good. Cooking lettuce is no different to cooking cabbage or seaweed but you need to use the right variety. Something firm like Romaine or Little Gem is good. Something floppy is not going to work. The goat cheese and lemon are wonderful flavors to add because you get the tang of the cheese, the bright acidity of the lemon and special taste and texture of the cooked lettuce. This is a very special dish whether or not you are looking for gluten free recipes. In the picture we have swapped the goat cheese for parmesan for a different but still very nice taste. It’s up to you which you prefer.
Image courtesy of Adactio, on Flickr.com