Honey Roasted Nuts with Rosemary
If you are looking for an amazing snack, consider this honey roasted nuts with rosemary recipe. You can use any kind of nuts you want, maybe just walnuts or cashews, or a selection of your favorites. Just choose plain ones, not the spiced, salted or already-roasted kind.
Walnuts work really well in this honey roasted nuts with rosemary recipe, or you might want to use different ones so people can take a peek and pick out their favorite ones. Make a big batch of this (perhaps double the recipe) if you have a crowd coming over, because the roasted nuts keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
The first thing to do when making honey roasted nuts with rosemary is roast the nuts in the oven, just to bring out their flavor and get them extra-crunchy. While they are roasting you can melt the butter with the honey, oil, salt and rosemary in the microwave, then toss the nuts with the honey mixture and then roast them again in the oven.
These honey roasted nuts with rosemary are a great party snack and even though you can offer nuts just as they are, without roasting them (literally just opening the package and tipping them into bowls) this recipe does take the dish to the next level, adding aromatic rosemary and sweet honey to the mix, as well as oil and butter to help the nuts roast and turn golden brown, and also to add a rich flavor.
Tips for Roasting Nuts
Although we prefer to cook these honey roasted nuts with rosemary in the oven, you can also do stage two (the second roasting) in a skillet on the stove if you want, and keep the stove on very low so you can scoop cups of this mixture into bowls and serve them warm, or keep topping the bowls up when they are becoming empty, and these honey roasted nuts are so good, believe me, nobody will be able to stop nibbling them!
We advise you to let the honey roasted nuts with rosemary cool a bit before serving them because they will be very hot when they first come out of the oven or off the stove. To judge whether they are done, simply look at the color. You will want them to be golden brown and smelling aromatic. You will find everyone asks you how to roast nuts in this way when you choose to serve this fantastic vegetarian-friendly appetizer. If you swap the butter for vegan-friendly spread or more oil, you can even serve this honey roasted nuts with rosemary as a vegan appetizer.
- 1 lb (450g) whole or roughly chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablesoons honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees (170 degrees C).
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil and arrange the nuts on it.
- Roast the nuts for 12 minutes, stirring them occasionally.
- Put the butter, honey, olive oil and rosemary in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave the mixture for half a minute to melt the butter and coax the flavor out of the rosemary.
- Toss the roasted nuts with the butter mixture, stirring well to coat.
- Now put the tray back in the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Grind a little salt over them, stir well and let them cool on the tray.
- Serve garnished with fresh rosemary if liked.