How to Make a Wonton Noodle Recipe
Making your own wonton noodle recipe, or wonton wrappers, from scratch is not difficult. Although there are different wonton wrapper recipes, this is perhaps the simplest and it offers a very good result. Yes you can buy them from the store but should you?
Of course that very much depends on the results you are looking for. If you want to take the time to learn how to make wonton wrappers then it is well worth making them. You will get a fresher taste and you will also get lots of kudos from everyone enjoying your homemade wontons if they learn you not only filled and cooked the wontons but learned how to make wonton skins and made the whole dish from scratch. Impress everyone with a wonton noodle recipe!
Chill the dough before adding the filling – you will find it easier to handle. Also, you might wish to double the wonton noodle recipe since these freeze well and you might as well make plenty. Wonton making is something that you improve with the more you do it. That applies to making wonton wrappers from scratch and also to stuffing them and ending up with results that look professional.
Take your time with our wonton noodle recipe and don’t rush making these. Don’t be disappointed if the results aren’t as perfect as you’d hoped either. Just repeat the wonton noodle recipe a few times and you will get better results every time.
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose (plain) flour
- ½ cup (120ml) water (you might not need all of it)
- Beat the egg with a pinch of salt, then add ¼ cup (60ml) of water. Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Add the egg mixture as much of the remaining water as you need to make a dough. If your dough is still dry, add extra water.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Knead it for 5 minutes or until it is smooth. Cover it and chill it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, then turn it on to a lightly floured board and roll it out very thin.
- Cut it into 3 and a half inch (9cm) squares and keep them in the refrigerator or freezer in a plastic bag until you are ready to make a wonton recipe with them.
Choose your favorite wonton fillers to go in the middle of these such as pork and shrimp, crabmeat and cream cheese, or barbecued duck and green onion.