Potato Pierogi Recipe
This potato pierogi recipe is one of my favorites, but what are pierogi exactly? Well, pierogi are unleavened dough dumplings which are boiled and then fried or baked in butter. They can be stuffed with potatoes, ground meat, fruit, cheese, sauerkraut, or something else. Pierogi are normally half moon shape but they can also be triangular or rectangular.
Not to be confused with pirog (Russian pies) or pirozhki (Russian stuffed fried buns), pierogi are small enough to be served several at a time, which is why the plural of the word is used when talking about them. These little snacks are popular in Russia, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Lithuania, and some parts of Poland. A potato pierogi recipe is simple to make and they taste fresh and satisfying.
They can be compared to tortellini, wontons, Chinese dumplings, or anything made by stuffing a skin or wrapper made of dough then cooking it with the filling inside. There is something magical about these and many kids fondly remember Grandma making a huge batch of them and maybe being allowed to help. Like other dumpling type recipes the more you make this potato pierogi recipe the easier and quicker you will be able to get them done.
What Do You Need to Make a Potato Pierogi Recipe?
In our potato pierogi recipe the pierogi are filled with a cheesy potato mixture which is really delicious. The dough is simple to make. For that we use egg yolks, potatoes, flour, shortening and cream of tartar. Once the dough is rolled out and cut into circles, you can add the filling, seal them and boil them in water.
This potato pierogi recipe should be done in about 5 minutes and all ready to cook. You can then either fry or bake them in a little butter, or else serve them as they are, perhaps sprinkling some chopped ham, chives and grated cheese on top for extra color.
An Appetizer or a Side
These little dumplings can be served as an appetizer or you can serve several of them with side dishes as the entrée. Because they are so small, they made ideal finger food when served warm (not too hot).
Once you have made this recipe you might want to try more easy pierogi recipes and you can adapt the filling we are using or else try new fillings. Pretty much anything goes as a filling in these little dumplings.
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup (105g) cold mashed potatoes
- 1¾-2 cups (220-250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ½ cup (120 ml) warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup (65g) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (105g) mashed potatoes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine ½ cup (105g) mashed potatoes with the egg yolks and shortening in a bowl.
- Stir the flour with the salt and cream of tartar in another.
- Combine these 2 mixtures, a little at a time, alternating with water, to make your dough.
- Wrap it with plastic wrap and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Roll it out ⅛ inch (3mm) thick and cut using a 3 inch (7½ cm) cookie cutter.
- Combine the egg white, cheese and remaining mashed potato, along with some salt and black pepper to make the filling.
- Add a heaped teaspoon of filling to each dough round, then fold them up and pinch the edges closed.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Add the pierogies in batches and cook for 5 minutes or until they float to the surface and puff a little.
- Remove them from the water using a slotted spoon.
- Now either fry them in a little oil or butter until golden brown, or serve without frying first.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Lahmacun Turkish Pizza RecipeEveryone loves pizza but perhaps you are becoming a little bored with your usual pepperoni or meat feast option. In that case, it might be high time you try something brand new like our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe. Just about every cultures has its own take on pizza. It really is a global phenomenon. In Turkey, lahmacun is a typical dish, and it is basically a pizza base topped with meat and Turkish flavors. What Goes on Top of a Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe Also known as an Armenian pizza recipe, a lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is usually topped with either lamb or beef, along with minced veggies and herbs, including tomatoes, onions and .....
- How to Prepare a Cheese BoardA cheese board or cheese platter is always a popular sight at the table, whether served as a starter or after the meal. There are no hard and fast rules about setting up a cheese platter but we offer you some tips about putting together a tasty selection of cheeses. Learn how to prepare a cheese board and you will be able to rustle up this snack, appetizer or dessert alternative anytime the mood strikes. Choosing the Cheeses Aim for diversity in appearance, flavor and style. You might want to offer a hard cheese, a soft cheese and a blue cheese for example. Or you can serve three semi hard cheeses which are similar in texture but offer .....
- Baked Beef Wontons with Bell PepperThe following recipe shows you how to make baked beef wontons which also contain bell pepper for a colorful finish. Baking wontons is an alternative to frying them if you happen to have the oven on anyway or if you want to trim the fat content. These delicious little morsels make wonderful appetizers and it is up to you what shape you make them – open so you can see the beef and colorful bell pepper filling, or closed so the filling is a surprise. Tips and Tricks for Perfect Baked Beef Wontons You could even make moneybags by pinching the tops closed so they look like moneybags, but most people like to leave these open, so people can .....
- Dutch Slavink Recipe – Bacon Wrapped MeatballsSlavink is a Dutch meat recipe you will spot in grocery stores in the Netherlands, nestled in the pork area. These can best be described as a rectangular meatball wrapped in bacon. Go back in history and you will find a Dutch slavink recipe was originally a small songbird wrapped in bacon. In the south of Europe you can still find such a dish despite many people trying to outlaw the dish, but the modern Dutch version used ground beef and/or pork instead. In fact many of them use a half beef/half pork mixture to create a Dutch slavink recipe which is popular locally. Butchers in the Netherlands make their own slavinken, which is the Dutch .....
- Japanese Chicken CrackslawCrackslaw is usually made with Chinese ingredients but add some Teriyaki sauce and you get a sweeter result which also has a distinct Japanese flair. Whether you are counting your carbs or simply looking for something really tasty, this Japanese chicken crackslaw recipe is a real winner. Perhaps you have made the classic crack slaw recipe before and you wonder what a similar dish but made with slightly different flavors would taste like, in which case try this recipe for a change of pace. You may use canned or fresh chicken. It should be cooked before adding it to the recipe, so this is a great dish to make if you have leftover chicken to .....
- Starter Recipes Around the GlobeInternational dishes have taken off recently in a big way. It is not unusual at all these days to see international starter recipes on a restaurant menu or to be given them at a dinner party. This obviously applies to main courses and desserts as well as starter recipes. Chicken sate, prawn toast, Asian soup recipes, Greek dips, Spanish tapas and more are popular as well as common these days and many people even prefer international starter recipes over traditional British ones. There are more ingredients available in modern supermarkets than ever before and you can use these ingredients to make exotic recipes and fusion-style snacks. .....
- Discovering the Latest Modern Bathroom TrendsModern bathroom trends can suit every style, taste and budget, regardless of where you are in the world. More people than ever before are investing time and money into their bathrooms, and you will be amazed at the huge array of different trends available. There are several different ways that you can improve the look and feel of your bathroom with modern bathroom trends including a variety of different accessories and fittings. Creating the Perfect Environment You need to consider the overall feel that you want to achieve in your bathroom, and decide on your budget before you go shopping. Some of the latest modern trends are expensive so .....
- Super Low Calorie Cajun Lime Stir FryLow in calories yet sky-high in flavor, this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry is something you will want to make regularly. Vegetables such as bell peppers, celery, carrot and mushrooms are combined with tomato concentrate, Cajun seasoning and lime juice to make a simple yet wonderfully flavored dish. Work out the calories and it is only about 100, which is very low indeed. The bell peppers are the main ingredient in this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry, supported by the other veggies, but you can swap the vegetables for others if you wish. Broccoli, zucchini and okra would all work in our low calorie Cajun lime stir fry recipe. The sauce is .....
- Lancashire Hotpot with BeefThis Lancashire hotpot with beef is a wonderfully warming dinner, and it is so easy to make. Beef (or lamb) and potatoes come together with a red wine based sauce to make this hearty dish. Served with peas or another green vegetable, this makes the perfect cold weather dinner for the whole family to enjoy. Lancashire hotpot with beef leftovers warm up nicely for lunch the next day. As well as the beef and potatoes, we are using carrots (if you like) along with onion, beef stock, red wine, and some thyme to add a nice earthy, herby flavor. This is a good recipe for the cooler months when you crave something that is really going to .....
- Recipe for Stuffed Squid TubesHearty ingredients like breadcrumbs, cheese, shrimp, tomato and onion are combined for the filling here, along with aromatics like cumin, paprika, cayenne and coriander. The squid are fried in a skillet on the stove and then sliced to serve. Try these stuffed squid tubes and discover just how wonderful homemade calamari recipes can be. Italian Style Stuffed Squid Tubes This stuffed squid tubes dish is a very tasty recipe and the use of seasonings and spices makes it an unusual one too because the Mediterranean filling is combined with bold spices to offer plenty of dimension to the flavor. This video is narrated and there are plenty of .....