Potato Pierogi Recipe
This potato pierogi recipe is one of my favorites, but what are pierogi exactly? Well, pierogi are unleavened dough dumplings which are boiled and then fried or baked in butter. They can be stuffed with potatoes, ground meat, fruit, cheese, sauerkraut, or something else. Pierogi are normally half moon shape but they can also be triangular or rectangular.
Not to be confused with pirog (Russian pies) or pirozhki (Russian stuffed fried buns), pierogi are small enough to be served several at a time, which is why the plural of the word is used when talking about them. These little snacks are popular in Russia, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Lithuania, and some parts of Poland. A potato pierogi recipe is simple to make and they taste fresh and satisfying.
They can be compared to tortellini, wontons, Chinese dumplings, or anything made by stuffing a skin or wrapper made of dough then cooking it with the filling inside. There is something magical about these and many kids fondly remember Grandma making a huge batch of them and maybe being allowed to help. Like other dumpling type recipes the more you make this potato pierogi recipe the easier and quicker you will be able to get them done.
What Do You Need to Make a Potato Pierogi Recipe?
In our potato pierogi recipe the pierogi are filled with a cheesy potato mixture which is really delicious. The dough is simple to make. For that we use egg yolks, potatoes, flour, shortening and cream of tartar. Once the dough is rolled out and cut into circles, you can add the filling, seal them and boil them in water.
This potato pierogi recipe should be done in about 5 minutes and all ready to cook. You can then either fry or bake them in a little butter, or else serve them as they are, perhaps sprinkling some chopped ham, chives and grated cheese on top for extra color.
An Appetizer or a Side
These little dumplings can be served as an appetizer or you can serve several of them with side dishes as the entrée. Because they are so small, they made ideal finger food when served warm (not too hot).
Once you have made this recipe you might want to try more easy pierogi recipes and you can adapt the filling we are using or else try new fillings. Pretty much anything goes as a filling in these little dumplings.
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup (105g) cold mashed potatoes
- 1¾-2 cups (220-250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ½ cup (120 ml) warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup (65g) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (105g) mashed potatoes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine ½ cup (105g) mashed potatoes with the egg yolks and shortening in a bowl.
- Stir the flour with the salt and cream of tartar in another.
- Combine these 2 mixtures, a little at a time, alternating with water, to make your dough.
- Wrap it with plastic wrap and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Roll it out ⅛ inch (3mm) thick and cut using a 3 inch (7½ cm) cookie cutter.
- Combine the egg white, cheese and remaining mashed potato, along with some salt and black pepper to make the filling.
- Add a heaped teaspoon of filling to each dough round, then fold them up and pinch the edges closed.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Add the pierogies in batches and cook for 5 minutes or until they float to the surface and puff a little.
- Remove them from the water using a slotted spoon.
- Now either fry them in a little oil or butter until golden brown, or serve without frying first.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Cream of Spinach SoupThis cream of spinach soup is comparable to a vichyssoise which is a creamy French potato soup but adding spinach gives it a different flavor, as well as a distinctive color. This is lovely served with crackers or just with some bread on the side. The flavor is magnificent and this is one of the best things you can do with spinach. An immersion blender is handy when making this cream of spinach soup because you can avoid pureeing it in batches in the blender, but if you don’t have one, that doesn’t matter too much. Use fresh spinach in this cream of spinach soup recipe so you get the lovely fresh flavor. This makes a nice .....
- Stovetop Shepherd’s PieIf you are in the mood for shepherd’s pie and wondering whether it can be made if you don’t have an oven, the answer is yes, you will be pleased to hear. Try this stovetop shepherd’s pie for dinner. The kids will love it and so will you! Shepherd’s pie is like cottage pie but made with lamb (hence the shepherd reference) rather than beef. This is something which appeals to kids and adults alike, because everyone loves the harmony you get when combining the juicy meat mixture with the wonderful potato topping. Some home cooks will make their stovetop shepherd’s pie recipe quite basic, topping a gently flavored .....
- Easy Tofu PhoPho is a delicious Vietnamese noodle soup made with rice noodles, broth, meat, seafood or a vegetarian alternative, and herbs. Beef and chicken are the most popular flavors but you can make a great vegetarian pho with tofu. This easy tofu pho is just gorgeous and you’ll love the flavors. This is a well-loved street food in Vietnam, and the Southern Vietnamese enjoy it for breakfast or lunch, while those in the north of the country have it at any time of the day or evening. History of Pho Soup This dish dates back to the early 1900s and refugees introduced it to the rest of the world after the Vietnam War. There is no proof of the .....
- Ruby’s Copycat Peanut Butter Wolf CocktailI first tried this gorgeous peanut butter wolf cocktail at Ruby Burgers in Queen Street, Exeter, currently my favorite American diner style restaurant in England! Although I don’t know the exact recipe they use, I have a copycat recipe for peanut butter wolf cocktail here which tastes very similar if you wish to recreate the flavor of this cocktail in your own home. It’s not the healthiest beverage but hey, festive times are a-coming and it’s always worth having a cocktail recipe like this up your sleeve! And consider trying my copycat version of their hoisin duck brioche too! Delicious Ingredients for Peanut Butter Wolf .....
- Baked Stuffed Zucchini BoatsLow in calories but high in flavor, this wonderful baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe is sure to please your palate. The middles of the zucchini are scooped out and then you can add a wonderful ham and cheese filling, and bake them to perfection. This is a very easy baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe which is nice served with Spanish rice or risotto, and just as nice served alone as a savory snack. If you want to make this dish vegetarian friendly, simply omit the ham, or else you might like to swap it for shrimp, salmon, walnuts, or pretty much anything else. Tweak the Filling to Make It Your Own The main ingredients in this baked stuffed .....
- Easy Sukiyaki RecipeOne of my favorite Japanese dishes has to be sukiyaki. This is similar to shabu-shabu, and is a hot pot style dish with thinly sliced beef and vegetables in a sweet, tangy sauce. You can also get vegetarian sukiyaki recipes. This versatile and easy sukiyaki recipe is perfect for cool winter evenings, and you can present or even cook it in a pot in the middle of the dinner table. The ingredients are usually dipped into raw, beaten eggs before being eaten, although this is not so prevalent outside Japan. An easy sukiyaki recipe is usually a winter dish in Japan, often served at year-end parties. Thinly sliced beef is usually the meat that goes .....
- Lunch at the Manor House at the Houstonian | A ReviewBefore I move on to my experience at the Manor House at the Houstonian, allow me to share just a little bit of background. My husband and I moved to Houston last year, in July to be precise, and we wasted no time diving into Houston’s amazingly diverse culinary world. We ate at so many different places, trying to get a feel for what was popular locally and, well, simply enjoy these gastronomic experiences. We tried chain restaurants, Mom ‘n Pop places, Japanese, Korean, Southern, French… well actually, a little bit of everything. And you know what I realized first? Two things. First… Texans like their food. Whether .....
- Perfect Cheese FondueCheese fondue is an amazing dish made with melted cheeses and other ingredients, and served with chunks of bread for dipping. Making fondue is really simple, and largely just a matter of adding your ingredients to a fondue dish and letting them melt and blend. Some fondue sets use a flame while others are electric. You can also get different kinds, so if you like to make chocolate fondue or meat fondue, you might like to collect the fondue kits, since the thick earthenware cheese fondue bowl isn’t the one needed to make meat or chocolate fondue. Our recipe for cheese fondue is very simple to make and you will love the authentic cheese .....
- Authentic California CuisineCalifornia is known for its amazing food, earmarked by a tradition of fruit, fresh leafy salads, fresh flavors, and organic dishes, although there is plenty of variety in Californian cooking, including fusion cuisine using fresh local ingredients. An attractive presentation is important in authentic California cuisine. Californians enjoy cooking with lean meats and seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, and anything low in saturated fat and high in nutrition. Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French, and Mexican cuisines have all influenced the fusion cuisine of California. California Food Pioneers Alice Waters has contributed to authentic .....
- French Manicure VideosA lot of girls have trouble applying a professional looking French manicure This is understandable because not only do you have to pick out the best French manicure nail polishes but you also have to get your nails the right shape, apply the white tip evenly and professionally, and get the result looking beautiful. French manicure videos are very important because you will want the prettiest result! The smallest error is glaringly obvious when painting your nails French manicure colors. So it pays to familiarize yourself with French manicure videos, as well as practicing a lot. What is a French Manicure? To paint a French manicure you need .....