Vegetable Jeon Recipe – Korean Pancakes
If you are looking for something new and delicious, why not try this jeon (pronounced ‘jun’) recipe? Our vegetable jeon recipe is simple to prepare and there are various tweaks you can employ to add your own touch to the flavor. Jeon is a tasty Korean dish which you will love and this recipe combines vegetables with Asian seasonings to make the tastiest little bites.
Vegetable Jeon Recipe: So Addictive and Yummy
Try this vegetable jeon recipe once and you will be hooked because the crispy texture and amazing flavor make these a lovely appetizer, snack or meal. In Korea the word jeon refers to food coated in egg and flour, and then pan-fried in oil, and you can get vegetable, meat and fish varieties.
Pajeon is a traditional pancake from Korea which makes a tasty snack or appetizer, and it is made using pancake mix batter, green onions and eggs.
From Tasty Batter to Crispy Results
The ingredients for this vegetable jeon recipe are combined to make a batter, then the batter goes into an oiled pan and sauteed until crisp and cooked through. One tasty version of this recipe is hae-mul-pajeon, which includes shrimp, squid, oysters and clams. One pan of those is enough to feed 3 hungry people.
Our vegetable jeon recipe is based on vegetables, for a low calorie and high flavor result, and these can be served just as they are or with a nice Asian dipping sauce which you can make very easily.
This vegetable jeon recipe is open to adaptation. Another nice variation (according to my sister, who is great at making jeon!) is to combine 7 ounces (200g) of butterbeans with 3/4 oz (20g) flour, a beaten egg and some chopped green onions. That version is good served with something spicy like a curry because it cuts right through the spiciness.
If you want to make up your own recipe for jeon, then you can just swap the vegetables for whatever you want. Perhaps combine some tuna and veggies with the flour, egg and soy sauce to make tuna ones, or use some crumbled hash browns and carrots to make potato and carrot jeons.
More Jeon Ideas
Want to tweak this vegetable jeon recipe? Well you could use thawed frozen veggies or leftover veggies. Leftover mashed potatoes and/or veggies could also be used, and if you have a food processor just pop your veggies in there and they will grate in seconds.
Leftover chicken, meat or fish could all be incorporated in this simple recipe. Something else you could try is using kidney beans instead of butter beans (sometimes known as giant beans) or anything else you fancy. Get creative!
Dipping Sauce for a Vegetable Jeon Recipe
One of the tastiest dipping sauces is made by whisking 1/4 cup of soy sauce with a minced green onion stalk, a minced garlic clove, 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar, a teaspoon of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of red chili flakes. Leave out the chili flakes if you want.
That sauce is perfect for serving with a jeon recipe but something else you might like, which is easier, is just serving them with a sweet chili sauce and you can buy a bottle of that.
Alternatively, if you’re serving the vegetable jeon recipe alongside a curry for example, just serve them as they are, as a nice side dish.
The smooth texture and fresh vegetable flavors will really complement the spicier dish.
What Makes a Vegetable Jeon Recipe So Tasty?
You can combine any kind of fish, meat and veggies with egg and flour, throw in your preferred seasonings and end up with a perfect result.
Use the food processor if you want a quick and easy method of combining the ingredients for the vegetable jeon recipe. Alternatively chop the ingredients by hand and stir everything together if you want a more rustic flavor. I like the second approach if I’m using butterbeans because they offer a nice texture, almost with ‘crunch’. However I prefer to use the food processor if I’m using tuna as my main ingredient.
- ½ grated carrot, ½ grated zucchini (courgette) and 4 oz (115g) grated rutabaga (swede) (or your preferred veggies)
- 2 finely chopped green onions (spring onions)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- Mix everything together in a bowl.
- Fry the mixture in 4 dollops in a greased skillet or frying pan, flattening slightly with a spatula.
- Flip them a few times as you cook them.
- Serve your vegetable jeon hot.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Delicious Curried Deviled EggsDeviled eggs make a nice dish before any main course or you can serve them at a buffet or party. Curried deviled eggs are especially nice and the curry flavor goes really well with the egg taste. You can add a bit of sweet relish or minced sun-dried tomatoes too if you want to. You might also want to add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce or a bit of Dijon mustard to spice this deviled eggs recipe up. If you prefer plain deviled eggs, just leave out the curry powder and green onions. Most people will prefer the eggs slightly curried though. More Tips for Curried Deviled Eggs If you don’t have a piping bag to pipe the egg yolk filling .....
- 100 Calorie Vegetable SoupI love making this 100 calorie vegetable soup but I am quite lazy sometimes! Even though I will go to the trouble of roasting pumpkin to make pumpkin soup or caramelizing onion for French onion soup, other times I like to toss the ingredients into a pot. Then I forget about it for an hour, then puree the results, and actually that’s how you end up with a really good vegetable soup recipe sometimes! If you’re new to making soup (or looking for some vegetable soup ideas) read on for a very easy recipe for 100 calorie vegetable soup. I’d like to share my 100 calorie vegetable soup recipe with you because I’ve made it a .....
- A Delicious Recipe for Braised Stuffed CalamariThe braised stuffed calamari in this recipe sure looks good. Breadcrumbs, olives, capers, garlic, parsley and more are combined for a tasty filling for your squid. Laura Vitale talks you through everything you need for the recipe and then shows you how to prepare your ingredients to make the filling. I liked this braised stuffed calamari video because I found it very easy to follow and I love the resulting stuffed squid. I think it looks great! And also because this is so similar to the way I usually make my own squid so Laura Vitale is on to a winner here. Just watch the video through and then as soon as it finishes you will wish to .....
- Easy Baked Chicken LegsIf you have some chicken legs, or chicken leg quarters, in other words the thigh and drumstick attached, then you might be wondering how to cook them. I love to make easy baked chicken legs regularly. The good news is this cut of chicken is not only economical but filling, tasty (because it is higher in fat than the chicken breast) and easy to cook. Although you can slow cook chicken legs, I nearly always bake them in the oven because this gets the skin really crisp, and that’s the best bit! How to Get Chicken Skin Crispy on Easy Baked Chicken Legs You will need to add salt plus some kind of fat to get the skin to crisp up. This .....
- Vegan Parsnip Crisps RecipeThis vegan parsnip crisps recipe is really well worth making. The crisps (chips) are made from parsnips. You can serve them as they are or with any dip you like, such as an onion dip, hummus or a salsa. These are one of our easiest vegan recipes. Vegan Parsnip Crisps: Crispy Crunchy Appeal Crisps are normally made from potatoes of course, and then you have ones made with sweet potatoes, but these are very similar, albeit offering a slightly more unusual flavor. Parsnips are tasty and versatile. They can be roasted or used to make a mash, or they might go in a soup or stew. Parsnips are lovely roasted and served alongside a roast, even a nut .....
- Tasty Tuna Fishcake RecipeIf you are looking for an easy tuna fishcake recipe, this one is simple to make and very tasty. The sweet potatoes add a Caribbean flavor and the canned tuna works very well in this fishcake recipe. For fish cakes tuna is always a good choice because it is tasty. Canned tuna is better than fresh tuna for fish cake recipes because it is more moist. Fresh or Canned Fish for a Tuna Fishcake Recipe? Salmon is often used to make fishcakes, both the fresh kind and the canned kind, but tuna is also popular. When making fishcakes it is usually better to use either leftover cooked fish (if it needs to be used up) or canned fish. Save the fresh filets .....
- Chicken Curry Indian Style RecipeThis chicken curry Indian style recipe is just what you need if you want to cheer yourself up on a chilly evening. The chicken and vegetables combine beautifully with the curry spices and the overall effect is fantastic. Serve this with white fluffy rice, naan bread or whatever your heart desires. In a restaurant you may request your curry mild, medium or spicy, and hope the chef’s version of ‘mild’ for example, is the same as yours! We have all been there, asking for a mild dish, and it arrives and blows your head off. Well, in this chicken curry Indian style recipe, it is up to you to add the spices, so you can choose how .....
- How to Make Vegetable OmeletThis recipe is your best friend if you want to make a perfect vegetable omelet, and this is a skill everyone should know. Learning how to make vegetable omelet is very easy and you can serve this for any meal. Omelets can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and this recipe makes enough for 2 servings. You will love the perfect flavor and texture this offers. How to Make Vegetable Omelet: Some Handy Tips If you want to cut the fat and calories, swap the butter for margarine and use skim milk. You can also use reduced-fat cheese in it. As for the vegetables, pretty much anything works. Tomatoes, mushrooms, green onion, fresh herbs and .....
- Best Loaded Nachos Comfort Food StyleSo you want to make the best loaded nachos comfort food? You’ve come to the right page. Very few dishes offer as much as nachos do, and that includes the wonderful flavors combining spicy with creamy with mild, as well as textures because you have all kinds of those, ranging from soft to crunchy. Nachos can be served as a snack, appetizer or meal, and homemade nachos are, of course, the best! The following best loaded nachos comfort food recipe combines nachos with beef, homemade pico de gallo, cheese, spices, and more. But this is your recipe so you could take inspiration from the photo and use leftover roast beef instead of the .....
- How to Make Caramelized CarrotsLearn how to make caramelized carrots because this winning side dish goes with everything. This very easy recipe makes a lovely side dish. Carrots offer a natural sweetness but adding butter and a little sugar to the carrots gives them a wonderful crunchy glaze. Pair these with meat or poultry, adding some mashed potatoes too, for a great dish. I like to peel and chop mine into fat matchsticks but it’s up to you whether or not to peel, and also whether to cut them into slices, chunks or strips. The thinner they are cut the less time they will take to cook. How to Make Caramelized Carrots: Honey or Sugar I have made this recipe before .....