Vegetable Jeon Recipe – Korean Pancakes
If you are looking for something new and delicious, why not try this jeon (pronounced ‘jun’) recipe? Our vegetable jeon recipe is simple to prepare and there are various tweaks you can employ to add your own touch to the flavor. Jeon is a tasty Korean dish which you will love and this recipe combines vegetables with Asian seasonings to make the tastiest little bites.
Vegetable Jeon Recipe: So Addictive and Yummy
Try this vegetable jeon recipe once and you will be hooked because the crispy texture and amazing flavor make these a lovely appetizer, snack or meal. In Korea the word jeon refers to food coated in egg and flour, and then pan-fried in oil, and you can get vegetable, meat and fish varieties.
Pajeon is a traditional pancake from Korea which makes a tasty snack or appetizer, and it is made using pancake mix batter, green onions and eggs.
From Tasty Batter to Crispy Results
The ingredients for this vegetable jeon recipe are combined to make a batter, then the batter goes into an oiled pan and sauteed until crisp and cooked through. One tasty version of this recipe is hae-mul-pajeon, which includes shrimp, squid, oysters and clams. One pan of those is enough to feed 3 hungry people.
Our vegetable jeon recipe is based on vegetables, for a low calorie and high flavor result, and these can be served just as they are or with a nice Asian dipping sauce which you can make very easily.
This vegetable jeon recipe is open to adaptation. Another nice variation (according to my sister, who is great at making jeon!) is to combine 7 ounces (200g) of butterbeans with 3/4 oz (20g) flour, a beaten egg and some chopped green onions. That version is good served with something spicy like a curry because it cuts right through the spiciness.
If you want to make up your own recipe for jeon, then you can just swap the vegetables for whatever you want. Perhaps combine some tuna and veggies with the flour, egg and soy sauce to make tuna ones, or use some crumbled hash browns and carrots to make potato and carrot jeons.
More Jeon Ideas
Want to tweak this vegetable jeon recipe? Well you could use thawed frozen veggies or leftover veggies. Leftover mashed potatoes and/or veggies could also be used, and if you have a food processor just pop your veggies in there and they will grate in seconds.
Leftover chicken, meat or fish could all be incorporated in this simple recipe. Something else you could try is using kidney beans instead of butter beans (sometimes known as giant beans) or anything else you fancy. Get creative!
Dipping Sauce for a Vegetable Jeon Recipe
One of the tastiest dipping sauces is made by whisking 1/4 cup of soy sauce with a minced green onion stalk, a minced garlic clove, 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar, a teaspoon of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of red chili flakes. Leave out the chili flakes if you want.
That sauce is perfect for serving with a jeon recipe but something else you might like, which is easier, is just serving them with a sweet chili sauce and you can buy a bottle of that.
Alternatively, if you’re serving the vegetable jeon recipe alongside a curry for example, just serve them as they are, as a nice side dish.
The smooth texture and fresh vegetable flavors will really complement the spicier dish.
What Makes a Vegetable Jeon Recipe So Tasty?
You can combine any kind of fish, meat and veggies with egg and flour, throw in your preferred seasonings and end up with a perfect result.
Use the food processor if you want a quick and easy method of combining the ingredients for the vegetable jeon recipe. Alternatively chop the ingredients by hand and stir everything together if you want a more rustic flavor. I like the second approach if I’m using butterbeans because they offer a nice texture, almost with ‘crunch’. However I prefer to use the food processor if I’m using tuna as my main ingredient.
- ½ grated carrot, ½ grated zucchini (courgette) and 4 oz (115g) grated rutabaga (swede) (or your preferred veggies)
- 2 finely chopped green onions (spring onions)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- Mix everything together in a bowl.
- Fry the mixture in 4 dollops in a greased skillet or frying pan, flattening slightly with a spatula.
- Flip them a few times as you cook them.
- Serve your vegetable jeon hot.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Korean Tuna and Broccoli PancakesI had some leftover broccoli and decided to experiment a little, after the success of my vegetable jeon the other day. These Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes came out really well and I decided to share the recipe. They are so good! What are Jeon? Jeon (pronounced jun) is a Korean pancake and these fantastic little snacks make a great appetizer, or you could serve them as the main dish. Suitable for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a snack, there are lots of different jeon recipes. Making this Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes recipe is easy. Combine an egg, a couple tablespoons of flour and a handful of your main ingredient (could be mashed .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Bacon Wrapped Avocado AppetizersThese bacon wrapped avocado appetizers are absolutely gorgeous and you can serve them as an appetizer or side dish. They are low in carbs (if you leave out the sugar) but high in flavor. Spicy or Mild, Your Choice Use the chili or cayenne pepper if you wish, or just have the bacon wrapped avocado appetizers without if you want a milder finish. These are great to pop into the oven when you have something else cooking on the stove. I wasn’t sure these would work the first time I made bacon wrapped avocado appetizers. I have made bacon-wrapped shrimp before, and bacon-wrapped cheese, but this is the first time I used avocado. Although .....
- Lightly Spiced Pumpkin SoupPumpkin soup is a real favorite in this household but I never buy it, I always make it! There are two main ways to prepare this soup – leaning either towards the savory or towards the sweet. This lightly spiced pumpkin soup appeals to anyone who loves pumpkin and is neither too savory nor too sweet. Personally I like my pumpkin soup sweet although I add savory ingredients to it such as onion and garlic. Although roasting the pumpkin first is something most people do, if you are in a rush, you could just add it to the pot and let it simmer in the stock until tender. The flavor will not be that different. But if you want the best .....
- Tuna Nicoise SaladThe classic French tuna nicoise salad is made with tuna, tomatoes, eggs, and nicoise olives. It can be served on a platter or on single plates. Some people like to serve it on a bed of salad leaves while others do not. You can use cooked or canned tuna. Perhaps you have had this before in a French restaurant, in which case it would have been made with ahi tuna (or canned tuna if it was a more casual setting). The following recipe shows you how to recreate this wonderfully balanced dish yourself. Optional Ingredients in Tuna Nicoise Salad Optional ingredients in tuna nicoise salad might include shallots, sweet red peppers and artichoke .....
- Treat Yeast Infection at HomeYeast infections don’t always require an embarrassing doctor’s visit. You can treat yeast infection at home once you have the correct diagnosis of the symptoms you are suffering. There is a huge array of different reasons that you may be suffering with the yeast infection, and making small changes to your lifestyle and diet, can make a massive difference. You may be surprised to learn that wearing tight jeans and underwear can increase your chance of suffering with yeast infections, and some birth control pills and steroids may also cause the yeast to grow and spread. This means you need to know treat yeast infection at home. .....
- Seafood Stuffed SquidThis classic recipe for seafood stuffed squid combines shrimp, fish and squid to make a seafood-rich meal. You will need large squid for this. Each one is stuffed with shrimp, and fish and then you make a sauce using tomato, paprika, bread, wine and onion which goes over the squid. The sauce flavors the squid, adds moisture to the dish and also looks good on the plate when you serve the seafood stuffed squid. Cut the squid into slices to serve for the best-looking result. The filling for this seafood stuffed squid should match the amount of squid but if you have any leftover squid including the tentacles, you can cut it into rings and .....
- How to Make Hamburgers on the StoveI love making homemade burgers, partly because they are really easy and partly because they taste so good. You will need some good quality hamburger meat if you want to make good quality burgers, and you can use pork, beef, chicken or a mixed meat. I like to use 80/20 (that is 80% lean, 20% fat) half pork, half beef, for a good juiciness and flavor. I often make hamburgers on the stove when it’s cold and I don’t want to stand over a grill outside in the rain! In the photo you can see I am cooking the burgers on a griddle which is like a square pan with ridges on. The ridges allow the fat to drain off the meat but they also make .....
- All About Vaginal Yeast InfectionsA yeast infection that affects the vaginal area is commonly referred to as candidiasis as the infection is caused by the fungus Candida. This fungus is present throughout your body at all times. However, in the perfect environment, it can grow rapidly. In areas, which are moist and warm the fungus will thrive and becomes an issue. If you think that you are suffering with this form of yeast infection, there are several symptoms which are obvious. Vaginal yeast infections can be diagnosed by the symptoms or the fact you get them often (although not everyone does). You can either experience all of the symptoms or just a few, everyone is .....
- Easy Pan Fried Tuna with a Sesame CrustThis tuna with a sesame crust is a fabulous way to showcase the wonderful flavor of fresh tuna, and you will not believe just how easy this recipe is to make, even if you’re new to cooking fresh fish or don’t often do it Even a total novice in the kitchen will be able to pull this recipe off and end up with a very impressive dish. To make it, you just need some tuna steaks and sesame seeds, both black and white, and then some oil for frying and salt to add extra flavor. In addition to that you will need a big nonstick skillet. Tips for Cooking Tuna with a Sesame Crust There is nothing hard about cooking fresh fish, especially not .....