Banana Wontons with Chocolate Dipping Sauce
Dessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but they are even more tempting served with a hot chocolate sauce. Save time by buying a chocolate sauce or impress your dinner guests by making your own.
Why We Love Sweet Wontons
Dessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but they are even more tempting served with a hot chocolate sauce. Save time by buying a chocolate sauce or impress your dinner guests by making your own. Most people would just grab the chocolate sauce from the store, so you can expect people to be very impressed if you take the trouble to make your own. It’s easy to do as well.
If you want to experiment with fruit wontons then you might like to try mango, apple, pineapple, peach, or any combination of fruits. Raspberries or strawberries would also be good but make sure you remove any skin, seeds and other bits before making the wonton filling.
Nobody wants to bite down on a cherry stone or apple seed. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce dish might not be available in your local Chinese restaurant but if you fancy experimenting with sweet wonton fillings you are sure to find the results of this recipe a pleasant surprise, because they really are tasty. Whether you are serving these to kids, grownups or a mixed group everyone is going to be very impressed by the chef!
- 2 medium-sized ripe bananas, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 18 wonton wrappers
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Powered sugar and fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Cooking oil, for deep-frying
- ⅔ cup (150g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cups (300ml) water
- 1⅔ cups (400g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat about 2 inches (5cm) of oil in a pot to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Stir the bananas, orange zest, cinnamon and brown sugar together to make the filling. Spoon a teaspoon of the banana mixture into each wonton wrapper just under the center, then fold the bottom part over the filling and tuck it under the filling. Roll it a couple of times, then wet the right hand corner of the wonton wrapper with water and bring the corners towards you. Overlap the corners and press them down firmly to seal.
- Fry a few wontons at a time in the oil for a minute or 2, or until they are golden brown, turning them once. Take them out of the hot oil and drain on paper towels. You can keep the cooked ones warm in a 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) oven while you cook the rest.
- To make the chocolate sauce, stir the cocoa, water and sugar together in a pan over a moderate heat. Bring the sauce to a boil and let it boil for 1 minute, then take it off the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Serve the wontons with the powdered sugar sprinkled over them and serve the hot chocolate dipping sauce on the side. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
This wonderful banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe make such a lovely dessert, especially when served hot, sprinkled with powdered sugar. Some chocolate sauce on the side is the perfect accompaniment, although you could go for a strawberry or raspberry sauce if you prefer. If you are looking for a sweet recipe for your wonton recipes or wondering what to do with some aging bananas, this banana wonton recipe is sure to delight your dinner guests. Wonton wrappers are so versatile; they can even be filled with juicy fruit and served with a sweet dipping sauce.